Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

But if someone out there wants to talk about how raspberry leaf tea will strengthen the uterus for labor, they lap it up. I know there are a lot of libertarian folks out there who don't want anyone to tell them what to do, I more frequently see this attitude among the political left.

Lifestyle leftists are the scum of the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Paul MaudDib posted:

This would be a good counter-argument if all diseases that we vaccinated against were horrible, awful diseases, but then you've got stuff like chicken pox. Chicken pox is very rarely fatal, it's just uncomfortable as hell for a week. That is, as long as you get chicken pox when you're relatively young, because it can really wreck you if you get it while you're an adult (75% of deaths are in adults, versus <10% of the cases). And the vaccines for this aren't permanent, they're just good for a decade or so, so the only thing you're doing is pushing the disease off until a time when it's roughly 10x as lethal.

Vaccines are great for the lethal stuff, but they are medical treatment and do carry risks, and it's really unnecessary to take those risks for something as minor as chicken pox (unless there's some other risk factor that might make it worse for you). Sometimes just sucking it up and dealing with itchy blisters for a week is really the best course of action.

The same could be said of measles, but we still vaccinate for measles.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No.44 posted:

My dad's cousin caught polio when she was young, it left her so physically crippled that she's in a wheel chair and can only communicate by shaking and nodding her head and making noises that vaguely sound like 'Yes' or 'No'. To top it all off, she was misdiagnosed as being severely mentally disabled and was never taught how to read or write. :smith:

Yeah man, autism is totally worse than dying or being left so physically malformed that your body becomes a prison for your mind!. :thumbsup:

I do a lot of work with the Rotary Club trying to get vaccines to far-flung corners of the world where dangerous diseases like Polio still linger. We're doing pretty well, but the Syrian Civil War is loving things up all over the ME because their health system has totally broken down and fighters are flying in from all over the world bringing diseases with them. There are already reported cases of Polio throughout Syria and we're really, really worried that it's going to get out and contaminate the broader ME.

Only good thing is that we're talking to a bunch of rich dudes in Saudi who remember Polio epidemics from when they were kids, so they might throw some money into the pot and the Red Cross/Crescent is taking it seriously too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's part of why polio is also being systematically annihilated.

The Syrian Civil War is really loving that up for us. On top of the horror of civil war, those poor people are also facing an outbreak of polio.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I've often thought of Chris Christie as a swinish opportunist, he's really not helping his case here.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately, its the left wing hippie movement that is the most vocal when it comes to the anti-vaccine and anti-gmo feelings.

Also anti-fluoride. The chemo-phobia runs real deep in that crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MothraAttack posted:

It's also increasingly prevalent among libertarians, where it already had a pretty fertile ground.

Libertarians are fairly susceptible to snake oil as a general rule. It's why conservative sites/talk radio hawk gold and survival rations and seed banks and whatever else.

• Locked thread