Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Elderbean posted:

The comments section for the onion article is littered with poo poo like this.

If they truly think we're overpopulated, maybe they should stop loving breeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

No you see smallpox was just misundersto :commissar:

It's only a matter of time until we have to find some sort of permanent solution to the anti-vaxxer problem.

Or, for a more current disease, shame about all those rich white kids dying of viral meningitis. And, you know, loving measles, these days apparently.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I will try to be fair: if vaccinations actually caused autism it'd be a hard call between measles, which you can recover from, and a crippling lifelong social disorder. But, the thing is, they don't.

You do know measles can cause you do go deaf, right? Or, you know, die?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My favourite counter argument to all-natural organicness being a universal specific is that deadly nightshade is organic and arsenic is natural.

Some people cannot be persuaded, however.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Karia posted:

If I'm willing to let the government alter the chemical balance of my body, how can it be without my consent? :confused:

Presumably the implication is that children can't consent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dalael posted:

Homeopathy is the belief that if you dilute a beer in the Hudson river, you will cure new-Yorkers of alcoholism.

Homeopathy is the belief that they threw Bin Laden's body in the sea to cure terrorism.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

Doesn't it follow that adding a small amount is actually what makes the medicine work? Didn't we just make the ocean terrorism?

Homeopathy bullshit is the idea that a small amount of a thing which causes a given symptom, treats the symptom. Bin Laden caused terrorism, therefore diluting him in water cures it.

Homeopathy is loving stupid.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If a child sits in the car without a seatbelt its whole life and never gets in an accident and is thus never injured by its absence, is it child abuse to not make sure it's buckled up before you drive?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

It's definitely not abuse. It could be considered neglect.

Also, CPS doesn't take away children for riding in a car without a seat belt. So if that's comparable to not vaccinating, then I guess we agree that not vaccinating a child should not be grounds for taking that child away.

It's kind of a bad comparison anyway, since vaccinating would be the equivalent of being able to guarantee that the child never rides without a seat belt ever again. Even if you believe that not vaccinating is abusive or neglectful, you can immediately end that situation by simply vaccinating the child. So if the abuse/neglect is guaranteed to be over, why would you still take the child away? Anyone who still says "take away the child" seems to believe that CPS to be used as a form of punishment. I don't believe that it should be used in that way; CPS should be about improving the welfare of the child, not about punishing bad parents.

I wasn't trying to argue either way on 'take the kids away', for the record. Just making a very obvious analogy in the hope of provoking some thought.

Also for the record, I believe vaccination should be mandatory, just like seat belts. gently caress vaccine-preventable diseases.

I don't think peoples' kids should be taken away for not doing it though, just like I don't think they should be taken away for not belting up (nor indeed do I think either is child abuse per se, and I debated changing that term in my analogy). I think both are negligent in the extreme, however, and appropriate action should be legal and enforced in both cases. Obviously, for vaccination, that's ensuring the kid is vaccinated properly whatever the parents want; the state has a duty to act in loco parentis if the parent is loving loco. For seatbelts I guess having unrestrained passengers is cause for points on/removal of the license if it's caught, and/or appropriate prosecution.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Harik posted:

Obviously you have not. He's saying we cannot pass a seatbelt law because our legal system requires a criminal act, and not doing something (wearing a seatbelt) doesn't qualify as an act.

Driving without a license is illegal; why not without a seatbelt?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dalael posted:

http://wakeup-world.com/2015/04/30/how-plumbing-not-vaccines-eradicated-disease-2/

:negative:

They keep coming up with new things. Now, plumbing is the reason we are disease free.
Tomorrow, it will be posture.
The next day, it'll be proper shoes.

Now if i can only convince some of the cute anti-vaxx girls that sucking a hobo's dick is what cured disease, I will make a bunch of people very happy.

Sadly like so many of these articles, they're THIS close to thinking critically about what they've clearly been told by someone, and actually coming up with the right answer, which is that yes, plumbing sure as poo poo helps, but it's not the reason we eradicated smallpox, and it's not the reason we're eradicating rubella and have mostly eradicated polio.

It's the reason almost no-one in the western world gets cholera any more, though, so they got that one right :smith:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also, he might have got sick with (OMG) not flu! Other respiratory infections do exist, and can be just as nasty and are not remotely impacted by the vaccine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

DJ BK posted:

What about the claim that the child has a genetic "disorder" that the vaccines are likely to antagonize and make the kid autistic? They pointed to an NIH study derka derka, crazy people right?

Yes, as far as modern science is aware. I don't think any conclusive genetic link has ever been proven for autism as it's most likely wildly polygenic (if indeed it's exclusively genetic at all) in nature like most brain conditions, and that's not to mention that 'vaccines' is closing on as broad a category as 'chemical', 'drugs' and 'vitamins', so what one vaccine does or doesn't do has basically no impact on what the next one does or doesn't do anyway.

So yeah, BS, almost certainly.

I'd be interested to see the study they linked though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

DJ BK posted:

Here is the paper the crazy people linked to.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2746083/

Right: small-scale pilot testing, on a vaccine that is no longer in common use because we loving ERADICATED THE DISEASE CONCERNED USING IT. Autism is not even mentioned, the adverse events concerned are basically 'symptoms of cowpox, the disease from which the vaccine is derived'. And they make no assertion about causation here, though such might be inferred from the article - it strikes me as likely that unless you did a much larger scale study (and there would be no point really because, as noted, we loving ERADICATED SMALLPOX) you wouldn't be able to tell whether the higher rate of AEs in the sample was caused by the SNPs, or whether they were coincidental, or even whether those SNPs just result in a person with a different immune response to that sort of virus anyway.

And it all has nothing to do with any vaccination OTHER than the one for smallpox, which as noted, isn't in common rotation because there's no need, so it's entirely irrelevant to the discussion of whether vaccines cause the 'tism for about ten reasons at a brief reading.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also, that graph only goes up to 1960, which is BEFORE the loving vaccine was introduced. What does it look like afterwards?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

If only there was a vaccine for stupidity or gullibility, then the naturopath movement probably wouldn't exist

There is. But sadly, it's not ethical to sell homeopathic* arsenic.

The one thing that bugs me about that... her dad is an evidence based medicine practitioner (albeit for animals) how the HELL did he watch his grandchildren suffer horribly for three goddamn years without intervening?

*not actually homeopathic

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

AA is for Quitters posted:

So similar question, so I don't look like an rear end at the pediatrician.

Just found out my sister and I both had severe reactions to casein based vaccs. (We both have varying degrees of milk allergies. It sucks)

There are vaccines out there if my kid turns out allergic to one of the inactive ingredients, right? I'd rather risk my kid winding up with anaphylaxis than risk them being Typhoid Mikey in school, but the inactive stuff is easily reformulated for these right? Especially cause it seems the big ones are the ones with casein like TDaP. And uh, no, our kid us getting the TDaP.

I'm just really glad I live somewhere sane, and enough of my husband's family remember horrible diseases that I got more poo poo for not having my TDaP booster before getting pregnant than any plans to vaccinate. (See above. Still planning on getting it, but now by OB is aware that I may have a severe reaction to it)

If there aren't egg/casein free vaccines yet, then why the gently caress not? I can't help but think it would only increase rates of vaccinations in kids . All it takes is one kid with an unknown allergy to reset things with the anti-vaxx group. Even though that kid was just going to wind up finding about the allergy some other kind of way, finding out about it via a vacc seems like it can causE probs I

You won't look like an rear end if you ask your doctor a sensible question like this. HTH.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

AA is for Quitters posted:

Cool. I just don't want to look like I'm trying to avoid vaccination because of an actual legit allergy. (That hopefully our boy won't get, since my hubby has no food allergies in his family)

I can't help but think this poo poo feeds into the anti vacc crowd, since all it takes is someone posting about how vaccines almost killed their baby dvd others latch on to it. Like I don't want to tell anyone about my fears because I still have every intention of getting my kids vacc'd, I just may have to have them done in the ER with epi on hand. Although here's hoping if there's any allergy it winds up being purely a rash/hives like mine. (And lactose intolerant, but that's a different story. I can have lactose without casein and only wind up violating the Geneva convention. A lactose free, casein heavy cheese gives me gifts for hours)

You'd really think with it being more and more common for food allergies to be diagnosed early that they'd start using other transmission mediums. I get why casein (And egg for the flu shot) work so well, but if it encourages more of the crunchy types to vaccinate, especially since they're starting to show that there's some overlap between gluten and casein sensitivities, it's one less argument the crunchy types can use.

Having seen a friend go through pertussis, I would not wish that on anyone. Nor measles. Or mumps. Or meningitis. (Never seen rubella or diphtheria in person, but why the gently caress not get them done?)

IIRC with flu specifically, it's a live attenuated vaccine that they can't easily grow any way other than in eggs, hence the eggs.

There are egg-free inactivated versions but you have to specifically request them AFAICT from a brief search..

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Isn't he completely forbidden from practicing medicine at this point? I seem to remember that medicine gave him a big :getout:

Pretty sure he is, he was also forced to retract his original paper from 30 years ago very shortly after its publication because it was spurious bullshit.

But that doesn't stop the people who believed him then, continuing to believe him, nor does it stop him from continuing to pander to them because it pays well.

He ought to be loving locked up, but then, so should anyone else with any kind of authority who touts anti-vaxx bullshit.

But they won't be :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

I missed one religious angle to this before. The faithful say that to god nothing is impossible, which means that if he didn't cure the Black Plague or smallpox it's because he didn't want to. It stands to reason that every true believer should oppose vaccination on the grounds that it prevents god from sending plagues to punish us when we deserve.

Which is dumb as poo poo because (if you believe that kind of thing) he sent us the scientists who cured the loving plagues for a reason.

It's like that old joke about the dude stuck in a life raft who is approached by a nearby boat, then a rescue boat, then a rescue helicopter, then a submarine and refuses them all because 'god will save me', then ends up in heaven and asks god why god didn't save him and god just replies 'I sent a boat, a rescue boat, a helicopter and a loving submarine, what more did you want?'

People using religion to justify science-less bullshit is just dumb on so many levels.

• Locked thread