Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

And cookware, deodorant, and a million other things. Aluminium is one of the backbone materials of our society. I guess they all fall under the same logic of it's alright in large chunks outside, but once in me as atoms crap. Still, I didn't know that people actually had concerns about it.

Not deodorant, anti-perspirant. The aluminum compound is, I believe, what inhibits sweating. I don't really care about the aluminum, but I use only normal deodorant because I figure if my body feels it needs to sweat, I should let it go ahead and bathe/launder my clothes to deal with it. Also, it didn't seem to work very well anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Frankly, whatever sort of mental disease causes people to become anti-vaxxers is at least as frightening to me as autism. If you're an anti-vaxxer, something has gone wrong in your head to make you think that a dead child is better than a not-100%-normal child, and at the same time be completely unable to comprehend how causation works. That's the sort of cognitive impairment I'd be much more worried about, because it doesn't seem nearly as treatable for one thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I stopped consuming inorganic substances months ago, and my goiters have never looked more pendulous!

Me too. I feel tired all the time, though...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ShutteredIn posted:

Well that's an... interesting argument Trump.

How can such an utter moron have made so much money?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

College (especially in a dorm) is a festering cesspool of disease and you'll want to get your shots.

This is so true. Just talking about normal diseases, I've gone from being sick 4-5 times per year during university to about 1-2 now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I respect the freedom of speech, but I think there ought to be a limit. This sort of utter rubbish literally leads to people dying or at least suffering a great deal. Should this not be disallowed by the "fire in a crowded theatre" principle? This nonsense is costing lives. I don't know... it's just so frustrating to see people playing dice with the lives of their children. Ironically, most of these useless bellends were probably vaccinated themselves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We're currently dealing with the results of this in Calgary, where we've had two recent measles cases lately. People have been warned about exposure at one high school and two restaurants, and non-vaccinated students are not being permitted to attend the high school in question for a month. Now, if I were a perfectly selfish person, I wouldn't really care. I was vaccinated, because my parents weren't irretrievably loving stupid and I had no contra-indications. However, this is not the case for people who, for whatever reason, can't be vaccinated. It's one thing to gamble with your own life, but it really pisses me off when you gamble with other people's lives.

Meanwhile, these loving idiots are being aided and abetted by our public health authorities. Both our provincial minister for health and various opposition critics, one of whom was a doctor, have said that, well, we don't really need to make vaccination mandatory. Yes, we loving do, and if you don't like it you can get the gently caress out of my city, province and country and move to some third-world poo poo-hole where you can die of easily preventable diseases to your heart's content.

I wonder if these imbeciles are going to pay for the loss of business suffered by the two restaurants that are now associated with "measles" in the mind of the public.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ddraig posted:

This is pretty much my stance. There are people who genuinely cannot get the vaccines because of health reasons (compromised immune systems and what have you) so their safety is directly tied with the fact that everyone else is vaccinated so the diseases can't get a foothold and effect them. You know, the entire basis of Herd Immunity.

Anti-Vaxxers should really be prosecuted as the murderers they are because it's not their lives they're gambling with, for the most part.

Even excluding the people who can't get it, there's still a lot of people alive who never got the vaccine. I was talking with my Dad today, and I wasn't sure of the timing of the vaccine release, but he was born 9 years before the measles vaccine came out. He was saying that, when he was growing up, he basically was sent to play with kids who had the measles so he'd get it early. He never did, after multiple attempts (where the other kids who got sent to the same thing did get infected), so my grandparents assumed he had some sort of immunity. Perhaps he caught it and was never symptomatic (this happened with me and chicken pox; I have the antibodies, confirmed by a lab, despite never having the disease nor the vaccine). The end result is that he's 60 years old, and doesn't know if he is or isn't protected. I talked to another of my friends, who's 62, and he said he had the measles, so presumably he's safe.

I have a lot more sympathy for people who weren't vaccinated because they were born well before the vaccine even existed, than I do for parents who don't want their kids vaccinated. I suppose they could get themselves vaccinated now, but it's still an issue of a passivity (choosing not to be vaccinated after the fact) versus an active choice to deny your own children immunity to a dangerous disease, when it's provided easily and for free.

gently caress, the sheer loving ignorance makes me want to crack a few heads. And I think my Dad should probably get himself at least blood tested for antibodies, and possibly vaccinated thereafter. Unvaccinated folk are probably at more risk now than any time in the previous 5 decades.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Arguably the most ironic and tragic thing about the anti-vaxxers, and the thing that best demonstrates the complete ignorance of anti-vaxxers, is the fact that they encourage others to not vaccinate. After all, one unvaccinated child is mostly safe since herd immunity protects them from the risks of not being vaccinated; it's only as the vaccination rate drops noticeably in a population as a whole that the danger level skyrockets. Not only have their parents put them at risk by refusing to vaccinate them, but they break down the herd immunity that protects their children by encouraging others to not vaccinate.

At least it proves they're only unbelievably ignorant, and not actively malicious. That's... something, I suppose.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We already have a great drug for clearing up a blocked nose, but a bunch of fuckers use it to make meth so it's harder than gently caress to actually find it. I had to go to three or four different drug stores before I found just pseudoephedrine without any added bullshit.

Mind you, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's noticed the best "non-medicinal" method of clearing up a blocked nose is orgasm. It's only temporary, but it works better than anything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xrunner posted:

That's true, but anecdotally, most people I've met who are into the homeopathic stuff don't really care or even know about the batshit explanation for why it works. They just think it's "natural" and something big pharma doesn't like.

Who would've guessed that ignorant people tend to be ignorant about ignorance itself?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ratoslov posted:

Why the gently caress would you self-diagnose as 'Bipolar' for lulz? That's like self-diagnosing as an rear end in a top hat.

I know I certainly have weeks when I have more energy and drive, and weeks where I have less, for example, so it's easy to see someone with limited understanding of what the disease actually is imagine that it's just a very mild form of bipolar instead of something that (I assume) everyone experiences to some degree. Just a guess, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Raw meat doesn't even taste good! Raw steak tastes mostly of nothing, sashimi tastes nice but that doesn't mean you hack chunks off a pig and stuff it in your gob you retard. Even sashimi stands a decent chance of giving you worms or some poo poo depending on where it's caught from.

I like beef tartare (and very rare steaks), ceviche, sashimi, and all that stuff, but that's just because it's loving delicious, not because I imagine it's healthier or anything. I'm willing to put up with the risks because I enjoy the taste and texture (and raw steak does not taste mostly of nothing!)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Rare steak is lovely, but I tried it blue once and it just didn't taste of anything.

It really depends on the cut, I find. I hate tenderloin no matter how it's cooked because I believe it has no flavour, whereas other people tell me I'm missing out. I find a NY strip to be very flavourful regardless of how it's cooked, and I prefer my ribeye to be slightly more well done so the fat has at least some chance to melt into the meat.

My favourite raw things would probably have to be scallop sashimi, and raw egg used as an ingredient in Caesar dressing, fresh mayonnaise, or in cocktails. Oddly enough, I've never had any kind of food-borne illness from "the usual suspects," but I've had horrible food poisoning from normal things like pizza that, I strongly suspect, were not being held at the correct temperature.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Elderbean posted:

One thing that really hurts vaccination is the association with big business. I mean, it's perfectly understandable to be concerned about the level of self-interest that can develop when someone is selling a product that is essentially mandatory. Unfortunately the answer for a lot of people is chewing on berries and drinking carrot juice.

Surely the medical industry would make more money off treating the horrible, horrible diseases that vaccines prevent, no? I mean, if you're going for an anti-corporate paranoid viewpoint, at least think it through :v:

OwlFancier posted:

Shouldn't but will if they're tasty enough. I shouldn't eat cheese on everything but I do because oh my god I love cheese.

But I would agree that you shouldn't tell people it's good for you to do either of those things, only that it's fun.

Yep, if it kills me at least I had a good final meal. Besides, raw beef is pretty safe if you prepare it freshly and carefully. I wouldn't order it down at the local pub, mind.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also, it'd be pretty nifty if we could just irradiate our meats to kill any and all of the bad poo poo in it! Too bad these same people will freak out because they don't understand that exposing something to radiation does not make it radioactive or dangerous.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Can you get vaccinated for measles as an adult? I know some people who weren't vaccinated because the vaccine didn't exist when they were growing up, and I'm wondering if they should pursue it now before they get the actual disease.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So is this how America ends? Not with a bang but under the massive weight of our society's collective idiocy?

To be fair, that was always how it was likely to end.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fionnoula posted:

You can. The standard CDC recommendations are that anyone born before 1957 likely does NOT need the MMR vaccine, because they almost certainly were exposed in childhood and have immunity. Adults born after 1957 who do not have verification that they were vaccinated and did not have measles as a child are recommended to speak to their doctor about having their titers read to determine if they need it. Adults with no immunity are recommended to receive 1 or 2 doses, at their doctor's discretion.

1954 and 1952, respectively, for the people I'm talking about. One told me flat out that he never had measles and was worried where there was a bit of a local outbreak here, but I suppose he might have been exposed and built up immunity to it anyway. I did for chicken pox -- never had it, but I got tested for antibodies before I got the vaccine, and lo and behold, I was already immune.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Most of the people posting "Millenials are loving retarded" probably fall within that demographic without realizing it. :v:

I don't think anyone thinks every millenial is stupid anyway, and as a millenial, I agree that most people around my age are loving useless and stupid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why should you need to see the diseases to believe they should be prevented? I've not personally seen smallpox or Ebola, but I'm really goddamn sure I don't want them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Eej posted:

I know of two Canadian cities that have removed fluoride in their water: Vancouver and Kitchener-Waterloo.

Calgary did it a few years back, too.

I have no idea what the gently caress is wrong with people in this city.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Why do I get the feeling that some people take having a disabled child as a personal insult and so try to find something else to blame it on other than bad luck/their own lovely genetics?

As best I can tell, it's the same impulse that drives people to be really religious: they're scared that life is meaningless and sometimes good and bad poo poo just happens out of luck. Everything has to have some sort of cause, and it can't be that God would disable their child through bad luck or whatever, so clearly it has to be someone's fault.

As someone with a disability, it's a lot easier to pretend it's someone else's fault than admit that sometimes you just get the lovely end of the stick, as we almost all do from time to time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's a shame these idiots' actions carry a possibility of death for their and others' children, instead of assuredly causing immediate death to themselves. We should convince them that hemlock is totally great for them because it's all-natural and poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hahaha no it wasn't, the elite liberal organic free range all natural no vaccines movement is much much bigger now than it was in 1993, and skipping vaccines was much more rare back then than it is now. Trust me, I was there.

I had a conversation with someone about vaccines last week that hinged on them saying that vaccines are horrible because they aren't natural. I pointed out that anthrax is natural and I don't think that imbues it with any special charm or appeal and they flat out refused to believe me. They claimed repeatedly that it couldn't be natural since if it was it wouldn't be harmful, it must be some industrial byproduct if it kills you. Like flat out couldn't believe anthrax occurs naturally even when I pulled up wikipedia on my phone, because god wouldn't create something that horrible in nature.

On a related note I loving hate it when I get dragged along to lunch at Whole Foods.

You should probably just beat them to death with a big chunk of all-natural wood, and/or feed them to an all-natural bengal tiger next time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pegged Lamb posted:

Mensa is about as hard to get into as Devry. The IQ scores that they throw out at people usually correspond to what would be akin to the level of genius produced once every 50 years.

Doesn't a proper IQ test also cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to actually administer properly anyway? And they're usually only accurate during childhood?

Sounds like a scam all the way around. Having been in the "gifted" program at school, I can tell you that IQ test results do not correlate strongly with one's ability to function or succeed in society. Many of my classmates are now working lovely retail jobs or doing nothing at all, more than a couple didn't even make it through any kind of higher education whatsoever. Hard to say whether they'd be bright enough to vaccinate their hypothetical kids across the board, but I'm guessing no. In fact, I'm going to guess that a few of them would end up being so stubborn about something they think or feel is right that they'd be even harder to convince than the general population (because, remember, they're Smarter Than You even if they work at a comic book store for minimum wage).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

To both parts? And, to clarify, I meant that to administer a proper IQ test, it takes long enough and requires a professional to do it, so their time is worth that amount of money. The one I took was done over the course of a few days, as I recall.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Gifted programs are also often at least partially bullshit. For the ones I encountered over the years poor kids got in exactly never while the children of prominent locals would get in if the parents wanted it bad enough. The gifted programs were, for the most part, full of upper middle class to wealthy white kids. Some of them were legitimately smart (one I can think of in particular is now an astrophysicist) while others just had the right last name.

Yeah, there's a pretty clear difference (or at least, there should be) between, basically, honours classes for high-achieving students, and programs for gifted students. Well over half of the people in my program, as I recall, got tested initially because they were causing so many behavioural problems in normal classes, not because they were diligent students or had particularly high grades, let me tell you. I would also guess that around half were classified as learning disabled in some capacity, in addition to gifted.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I knew how to multiply before I started kindergarten, learned to read so early I don't even remember doing it, and had a college-level vocabulary when I was 6. I didn't get into gifted because I lived in a trailer park and "the gifted bus doesn't run that way." Now I'm an honors student in college studying computer science, math, and art and doing quite well at it but still...that's something I'll never forget.

Granted I also look poor as hell because, you know, I am, and remember getting That Look when I sat down to apply for honors. The person in charge at the time got this haughty look and said "well you need to have a certain GPA to get in." I just smiled while she looked and came back with a 4.0. Her opinion changed rather quickly but I remember getting That Look in the past when I'd complain that I was bored out of my damned skull in school but wasn't allowed to complain about that because I wasn't in gifted. I'd repeatedly be told I had "bad attitude" when I'd struggle to pay attention when we were learning to multiply in third grade because I, you know, learned it years before that. I had to claw and fight to get myself into Smart Person Land and all told the only reason I'm in college at all was a stupid stroke of dumb luck.

It wasn't just that there were more rich kids than poor kids it's that there were literally no poor kids. I switched districts later when I moved (really poor people move around a lot) and the second one was less bullshit but even then I wasn't put in because I wasn't in one before. That crap has pretty long-running repercussions and the poor can get hosed hard.

That is totally counter-productive bullshit, and I'm sorry you went through it. There were certainly poor, or at least working-class, kids in the G/T program in Calgary, as it should be, because it should be about teaching kids in the way they learn best (like any special ed program), rather than catering exclusively to a bunch of kids that are already not only gifted but extremely knowledgeable or well-educated. As often as not, the kids who were identified as gifted due to their previous academic achievement ended up in IB or something instead.

EDIT: And it was certainly the case that most people who ended up getting tested got their initial referral for acting out, or other issues entirely. I ended up getting tested and coded as gifted when I was originally being tested to see how bad my cerebral palsy was going to gently caress my education up from possibly not being able to write or stuff like that.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 9, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

I heard part of it, just enough to hear the anti-vax lady get completely torn apart, it was glorious.

But what if the stupid cow got her feelings hurt, and it made her heart hard against vaccination in the future? What have we done???

:v:

Why do we have to pretend that people's lovely opinions and beliefs deserve any degree of respect simply because their lovely brain came up with them and now holds them as fact?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Or you humiliate them and make them a laughing stock and pariah to anybody with brains enough to be saved.

(I just got a vision of the afterlife and it's just you and me saying these arguments back and forth forever)

There's a third solution, a final solution, if you will...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

I think part of it is just that richer people can afford better healthcare. If your kid has a serious case of the flu you can put them in the loving hospital or get them all the health care they need; you can pay for drugs easily. Someone who's broke won't be able to do that and a vaccine is a hell of a lot cheaper than medicine.

People who choose not to get the flu shot perplex me. Like, if I get the flu, chances are I'll be fine and my life won't be impacted in a lasting way. But I'll still have had the loving flu! I've had it before, I don't care for it at all -- in fact, I quite dislike being sick for any reason, and will gladly take any and all preventative steps to stop myself from becoming ill from anything. gently caress, the flu shot is cheap as borscht and takes 20 minutes out of your day to get. I get it as soon as I can every single year. I don't give a poo poo if it's only 50% effective or even 20% effective in any given year -- any reduction in my chances of getting the flu is quite welcome. I also wash my hands frequently and do my best to not associate with sick people -- do anti-vaxxers also eschew that sort of thing? (Fake Edit: Given the existence of Measles Parties, yes... yes they do...)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The worst thing about a lot of anti-vaxxers is they use every weakness of the flu vaccine, which is admittedly not all that great, against every vaccine in existence. Personally, I do get a flu vaccine every year (and it's been effective for me every year, combined with good hygiene), but I don't think not getting it (especially if you have a good reason, like a family history of adverse reactions) is anywhere similar to not getting your kid vaccinated against measles.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Leo Showers posted:

jesus loving christ

You know, I think the people selling that and the parents doing that to their children should probably just be put down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Habibi posted:

Can we sentence people to bleach enemas for life with no possibility of not getting bleach enemas for life?

Only if this means they only get one: i.e. they get killed by having bleach pumped up their poopchute until they die.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mrit posted:

I'm honestly surprised that insurance companies don't have massive rate increases on unvaccinated people/children(waived for medical reasons of course). Would be a great way to encourage the upper-middle class morons to get the vaccinations, since those people are spending too much on organic free-range farmer-friendly whatever to be able to afford not to vaccinate.

Nintendo Kid posted:

It would currently be illegal to do so.

You could always try to end-run around those regulations by having affect the parents' life insurance premiums, which is the ultimate upper-middle-class thing to be neurotic about from what I've seen.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

There's also some potential corruption issues, or at least appearance of corruption issues going on between Merck (the makers of Gardasil) and the Republican Governors Association. If you look at the accusations against Rick Perry, and ignore the whole sex and vaccine issues, it's a bog standard cash for influence scheme. Merck contributed a lot to Rick Perry's campaigns, and hired his friends as lobbyists.

Merck spent quite a bit of money to help Perry get elected, then Perry ordered free Gardasil vaccinations for teenage girls. Which was a pretty huge win for Merck, getting the governor of one of the largest states to mandate an expensive vaccination.

Tht pissed off a lot of social conservatives, it also diverted funds from other medical funding in a state that's pretty tight fisted when covering medical procedures. Gardisal isn't cheap at $500 a shot. If Rick Perry had shown some concern about women's health either before or after the Gardasil mandate, then he might have gotten a pass for that bit of corruption.

Instead, Michelle Bachmann had to Bachmann it up, and go full anti-vaxx and social conservative to double down on stupidity. So instead of just arguing that Perry might be crooked, now he's Teflon coated if anybody bothers to bring up his Gardrasil controversy.

Does it really matter if he did the right thing for the wrong reasons? I mean, the guy's a piece of poo poo, but by giving out free Gardasil vaccines, he either has or will in the future save lives. It's certainly not a great thing that he's a corrupt rear end in a top hat, but corruption has given us many worse things than widely-provided, life-saving medicine. I'd count this one as a win no matter why it happened.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To get an idea of how atrocious American health issues are a few years ago I just randomly went down and had a seizure. I had never had one before and had never been diagnosed with anything seizure-related. My insurance company denied coverage of it due to being a "pre-existing condition" and I racked up like $10,000 of medical bills that just never got paid. The hospital later just forgave it because I'm poor as gently caress but really, insurance companies will use literally any excuse to not pay.

It looked so hopeful that you guys were going to get some sort of healthcare that wasn't poo poo, and then Obamacare turned out to mostly be a big, sloppy blowjob to insurance companies. Ridiculous, and very sad.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We had this discussion already, why the gently caress did you have to remind me about it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

I wouldn't go so far as your last sentence. But yeah. Ethics are ethics, and in matters of ethics, the ends don't justify the means. Say I am prosecuting a known child rapist and killer who has said if he's released he will absolutely keep attacking children, but I don't have enough admissible evidence to convict him. Falsifying evidence would guarantee he wouldnt kill another child. Does that make it ok?

That wouldn't be ethical, but I think the comparable situation would be something like the parents of a child who got raped offering you a bonus if you manage to convict the guy (which you have the tools to do, and which already should be your goal). It's probably still not ethical, but I'm a lot less concerned about the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

So more justice for the wealthy? That's not a consequence of concern? The whole reason professional ethics exist is to serve as a bulwark against "ends justifies the means" thinking.

Would it not, hypothetically, have been your job to zealously pursue a conviction with or without possibly getting paid by the victim's family, though? Assuming you are able to do it entirely through legal means, not falsifying evidence or anything like that.

I get that Rick Perry is a massive rear end in a top hat, and a corrupt bastard, but I think it's a pretty good thing that a bunch of kids got vaccinated against a dangerous disease when they otherwise probably wouldn't have, and even though it's expensive, it's money that any ordinary healthcare system should be spending.

• Locked thread