Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
I recently started loving around with Access 2013 in the cloud for office 365. My firm has an online payment gateway, right now if you go to our public site there is an ugly html form that submits to the gateway API. I was asked to make an app that our clients can go to save their contact and credit card info so when they log in they do not have to fill out the same form every time, they can just hit a button that takes their info and submits it to the payment gateway.

I published an access app to the sharepoint site which works great. They added a neat little function for returning the 365 email address that the user has when logging into the app. I have a macro that onload reads that email and based on the results presents a certain set of views for program flow.

At this point I have a button with no macros tied to it. I want to push the button and have the information sent to the payment gateway. The only thing is I am not sure that I can even manipulate access cloud data in that way. It seems like the data is trapped within the access app and I cannot use it anywhere else.

Does anyone with access 2013 experience know how to work with access cloud data outside of the access app itself? This is the first version where an access app publishes to a sql database as opposed to a shrepoint list which I am now thinking may better suit my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mindisgone posted:

I recently started loving around with Access 2013 in the cloud for office 365. My firm has an online payment gateway, right now if you go to our public site there is an ugly html form that submits to the gateway API. I was asked to make an app that our clients can go to save their contact and credit card info so when they log in they do not have to fill out the same form every time, they can just hit a button that takes their info and submits it to the payment gateway.

I published an access app to the sharepoint site which works great. They added a neat little function for returning the 365 email address that the user has when logging into the app. I have a macro that onload reads that email and based on the results presents a certain set of views for program flow.

At this point I have a button with no macros tied to it. I want to push the button and have the information sent to the payment gateway. The only thing is I am not sure that I can even manipulate access cloud data in that way. It seems like the data is trapped within the access app and I cannot use it anywhere else.

Does anyone with access 2013 experience know how to work with access cloud data outside of the access app itself? This is the first version where an access app publishes to a sql database as opposed to a shrepoint list which I am now thinking may better suit my needs.

Does your payment provider offer an API?

Access is also probably not the right tool for this.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
they allow posting to their web server in an html form and also XML which I am thinking could be an option but most of the convert to XML features are only available in the desktop app if anything. I may have to take this in a traditional web page SQL server direction which kind of sucks because Access would be so nice for everything else I need.

The mad scientist in me wants to develop an all in one access web app for accounting firms that will incorporate contact management, document storage and sharing, billing, and eventually tax and audit work if I can get my hands on the necessary accounting formulas to use.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Omg no. No no no no.

Your Access App isn't published on SharePoint. It's on a public Azure server. Don't put credit card info in there.

If you want to do all that, learn .Net or something. Access Web apps is for stupid little things and it's not even that great at it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Echoing everyone else: seriously don't use Access for anything, ever. It's terrible.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

^^^^ that is a pretty blatant overstatement.

Access is horrible at being a back end for a website -- though I do know of some pretty hefty sites from the ~2000 era that did in fact use access; ASPInsiders.com comes to mind. Access is still a real relational database of sorts making it vastly superior to many of the things that people will often use excel or word to handle. Being a self-contained file that understands poo poo like referential integrity while still being approachable by the non-dbas of the world has some interesting advantages.

There is certainly a right tool for the right job but there are a lot of decent reasons to use a desktop database. It would also help if MSFT quit bolting on poo poo like the html forms extensions so as not to encourage this madness.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Access is fine as a front-end tool but the Windows Form editor is basically exactly the same and you don't have to be using what is basically VB 6 to work with it.

wither
Jun 23, 2004

I have a turn both for observation and for deduction.

Mindisgone posted:

I was asked to make an app that our clients can go to save their contact and credit card info so when they log in they do not have to fill out the same form every time, they can just hit a button that takes their info and submits it to the payment gateway

This is almost 100% in violation of PCI-DSS and will get your merchant account terminated.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

wither posted:

This is almost 100% in violation of PCI-DSS and will get your merchant account terminated [if you mention it in detail on one of the true/false 400 question quiz's they hand out once a year].

wither
Jun 23, 2004

Right, but if he's doing this poo poo in Access odds are somethings going to break, he's going to get audited and be up poo poo creek. If companies as big as Macy's with compliance dept and external auditors still can get haxxored, how fortified can his Access Web form be? Then again if that happens, termination of merchant accounts is the least of his worries.

Still, use something like stripe.com and let them worry about PCI-DSS

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

wither posted:

Right, but if he's doing this poo poo in Access odds are somethings going to break, he's going to get audited and be up poo poo creek. If companies as big as Macy's with compliance dept and external auditors still can get haxxored, how fortified can his Access Web form be? Then again if that happens, termination of merchant accounts is the least of his worries.

Still, use something like stripe.com and let them worry about PCI-DSS

Oh, I'm not disagreeing, I just find the pci stuff laughable every time I work with it.

I think I've failed pci compliance on the first go every single time I've been audited(or whatever you call the yearly checks, probably not an audit). They've always asked me to change my answers. After some of the stuff I've seen skated through by small businesses I can't believe what it would take to actually end up getting full on cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wither
Jun 23, 2004

bobua posted:

Oh, I'm not disagreeing, I just find the pci stuff laughable every time I work with it.

I think I've failed pci compliance on the first go every single time I've been audited(or whatever you call the yearly checks, probably not an audit). They've always asked me to change my answers. After some of the stuff I've seen skated through by small businesses I can't believe what it would take to actually end up getting full on cancelled.

Well lets look at the facts
1) He's processing A/R data
2) He's using Access as a backend (it's a fine front-end, just dont use Jet)
3) He's storing information locally

This is a huge recipe for disaster for reasons I won't care to delineate but half my day job is talking people out of solutions like this.

He said he has a public website. Stripe has an API. Paypal has IPN. Offload as much potential liability to third parties as possible. People don't buy Oracle because it does so much more than Postgres, they buy it because when things break they go to C-levels and say "It's Oracle Endica/blahblah", we called their premium support, we don't even have to talk to our lawyers or insurance companies to see if our E&O policy covers this. Delegate to Stripe, pay the 3% as an 'insurance fee'.

• Locked thread