Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I have FIOS 1gig/G3100.

My G3100 seems to think my plex server is running a DNS attack. I can't seem to decipher the solution, or the solution isn't in the posts I've found. Anyone experience this before and know how to fix it?

code:
2021 Jun 18 20:05:13	dnsmasq	warning	[SYS.4][SYS] possible DNS-rebind attack detected: xxx-xxx-x-x.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct

That's Verizon launching the attack, and DNSmasq is rewriting their lovely spec violating result as its best guess about what it should be.

You should look into using a different upstream resolving name server.

Check out a web search on "DNS rebind DNSmasq"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Okay, yes, it's not Verizon, this is how Plex works. Do what Astral suggests.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/what-is-the-reason-behind-dns-rebind-attack/547782/2

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It does not seem like the UI supports dnsmasq configuration.

It does give the option to turn DNS rebinding protection off, but is that a good idea? I assume turning off security options is a bad idea, but I don’t know enough about this particular setting so maybe it’s fine?

It seems like maybe I can edit dnsmasq in SSH, but it seems like the g3100 may have intentionally crippled SSH, so I’ll have to look.

This particular attack is mitigated to an extent by modern browsers. But it seems like you either turn off the protection, or you don't use Plex.

Or you get a different router, I suppose. Or reflash openwrt onto the one you have. Both of these options seem extreme to this humble poster.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I need a recommendation for a Plex NAS appliance.

I've got two Plex servers, both on Raspberry Pi 4s. One is at my father's house. But it's become clear is that my dad needs something he can gently caress around with, and "an Ubuntu server install with systemd launching podman containers" isn't that. That's something I can gently caress around with. The dude has decided becoming a video librarian is his hobby now, and he needs his own appliance to baby.

I know Plex runs on every drat thing. Is there a goon favored, Plex-capable, 2-drive NAS that gets regular security updates (HI WESTERN DIGITAL)? He's exclusively ripping DVDs to h264, so server transcoding doesn't need to outperform a RPi4.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 25, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

i got a synology DS220+ for my birthday, works pretty well

Wow, this looks like just about ideal. Has Synology been pretty good about updating the OS?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

i can't say for sure, i only got it on the 11th (my birthday) lmao
i've had a pretty good time with mine, though

plus their RAID is very nice, doesnt waste any disk space by limiting it to the size of the smallest disk

I think it uses btrfs, which is what I'm doing on my RPi4s. It's a pretty cool filesystem.

Anyway, yeah, this looks like a pretty capable Plex device. I'll check out that QNAP too, but having worked with QNAPs in the past, I'm guessing it'll be outside my price range.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You're not even transcoding. Seconding this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

They also won't work through a surge suppressor or line conditioner, which is why the owner's manual says you gotta put them directly into the wall outlet.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Wonder how long USB-wall plugs have got left.

I can't wait until I can get USB PD outlets. I have five things left in the house which don't immediately (and inefficiently) turn AC into DC, and my new fridge only pulls 90 watts so it could theoretically be converted.

The advantage to a USB C power outlet is that it won't kill you if you stick a fork in it. Also, in theory, DC house wiring could save me about $100 a year in solar energy that I immediately convert to heat outdoors in order to create alternating current which I immediately convert to heat indoors before powering my laptop.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 29, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

one of em's plugged into a weird extension cord with a too-short ground pin hole and its working fine

That should be okay if it's only an extension cord. I don't know what "extension cord" means in the UK but here it means "flimsy pair of wires with 1-3 outlets on the end".

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know people have said mpeg2 is a dead format

Bit of a derail here, but I would say mpeg2 is more "stable" or "legacy" than "dead". There's a lot you might want to put into a video file that mpeg2 doesn't support, but this is more like GIF files: they're all over the place and for archival purposes they're not a bad choice. I think "dead" is the wrong term.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I don't think browsers will play MPEG2. Chrome seems to have the broadest support for codecs and it won't do it. VLC will.

I get your desire to keep things "original", but I don't think MPEG2 was really ever used outside of DVDs (maybe television?) so not many things actually implemented it. As a standard it's not going away. As a format to keep things you want to play on your laptop or cell phone, it's a bad choice.

So transcoding these (keeping the originals, since you care about such things) is the way to go. I personally like Handbrake.

For the "best" compression option, I recommend you do something like the Chromecast preset, which will preserve surround sound and encode to H.264. There is broad support currently for H.264, and since you appear to be willing to store the relatively large MPEG2 files just in case something better comes along (it will, H.265 support is growing right now), your plan should be to periodically, every 4 years or so, re-transcode your entire library to whatever the hot new thing is.

Having written that, it sounds like a lot of work to me without a whole lot of benefit. MPEG2 is already a lossy encoding, and it's not very good at making files smaller, by today's standards. If I had the original uncompressed files, I would absolutely keep those around. But I don't, and neither do you: these are held by the production studio. Re-encoding MPEG2 to H.264, for me, has the benefit of wide support, making things much smaller, and since I don't tend to focus on smoke in the background of the shot, isn't reducing quality enough that I notice (except on Bladerunner, for some damned reason).

E: Removing an "IIRC" in which I did not, in fact, recall correctly.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 30, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

OK thank you. I'll re encode to the Chromecast preset and I'll just keep the discs around as the "masters". I'll use the quality settings that keep the file size very close to the original mpeg2 files so there's virtually no quality loss but also compatible with web browsers.

I also got this classic today (just released last month) and this is getting a 100% raw MakeMKV rip, I don't care what anyone says!!!1

You can't melt stone with ice, none of that makes any sense. :argh:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

anyone know how i can tell sonarr to hard link torrent files rather than copying them? or does it do that by default? i genuinely can't tell - the file modification times seem exactly the same in both directories so im ASSUMING it's hard linking?

ls -i will show you the inode number. If two files have the same inode number, they're hard linked.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

huh, weird, that setting's on, but the inode numbers seem to be different regardless. theyre on the same filesystem

It could also be that your underlying FS doesn't support hard links, you using FAT or something?

This is starting to feel like a job interview. Did I perchance happen to apply to work for hbag heavy industries?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wibla posted:

Is that stable enough to not just randomly eat your data now? :haw:

I've been using it in production for the last three years at work. It's my favorite filesystem now.

So I'm gonna go with "yes" 😁

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hed posted:

Update on my crash: I checked the system logs instead of the plex logs and realize I'm getting oom-killed.

code:
[7541414.080990] Memory cgroup out of memory: Killed process 22963 (Plex Media Serv) total-vm:12721008kB, anon-rss:4152616kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:0kB, UID:100108 pgtables:16444kB oom_score_adj:0
Very weird, the LXC container has had 3GiB for ages, I just upped to 4, but still having issues. The total-vm (12GB) seems pretty runaway... any ideas on what's going on here?

The virtual memory includes memory mapped I/O, like libraries. You'll want to focus on the rss.

Sorry I don't have an answer for your primary question, though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Gonna blow your mind here: `tail -F log` will periodically check the filehandle for freshness and make sure you're tailing the live file. This is how you can leave a log tailing "forever" through rotations.

This doesn't always work, it depends on how the file is "rotated". If the inode changes (as a result of an mv, for instance), tail won't pick it up.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

This is what the `-F` is meant to handle specifically. `-f` will handle truncation cleanly ("echo blah > log.log") but will not handle the inode changing. You can set it to follow the name (default, at least in ubuntu linux and centos) or the descriptor with -F.

Okay, you were right, you blew my mind!

I think I may have even known this ten years ago.

Wondering why you did "echo | tee -a log.log" instead of "echo >> log.log"

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

If you think of it this way, those of us who bought lifetime are actively preventing them from being sold :getin:

The lifetime pass is $120, a yearly pass is $40, and monthly is $5. So if what you care about is giving them a consistent revenue stream, you'll use the monthly pass.

In other words, the lifetime pass is actually going to get them sold the fastest. Those customers will never result in any additional income.

When they're purchased, I guess there's always jellyfin. It even transcodes faster on my Raspberry Pi.

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 3, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lawen posted:

Except that the thing that will make them an attractive acquisition to a larger company is recurring revenue. Amazon (e.g.) would much rather buy a company with a million subscribers who each pay $5/month than a company with $120m in the bank and no revenue.

Okay, good point. But no revenue stream means at some point they'll stop being able to cut paychecks, too.

I guess it's all down to how much they have in the bank. Given their posturing that they're trying to get bought, I'd guess the answer is "not enough".

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

forest spirit posted:

How is Jellyfin in comparison? I haven't looked into it at all, but that's the only real competition in that space?

It's not as mature but it works. When I loaded it up on my library, scrapping was pretty shoddy in comparison, and the way it approaches libraries was sort of weird to me (I don't remember exactly how, though).

There's also Kodi, which is mature and pretty good but doesn't have the "be your own Netflix for your friends and family" features that Plex and Jellyfin have.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

George RR Fartin posted:

Unless I'm missing something (always a possibility), I did this the other day and it was as simple as setting up a SMB share and finding it on my local network on each device using Kodi. I don't believe the watched list transferred, though, so every device is sort of tracking independently. That could be a problem.

If I recall correctly, you can work around this, and get everybody using the same scrapping database, by bringing up a MySQL server and exposing the port to your LAN.

As a cybersecurity professional, I can't recommend anybody actually do that, however.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sonic analysis, eh?
https://www.plex.tv/blog/super-sonic-get-closer-to-your-music-in-plexamp/

Sounds cool

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Moey posted:

Anyone know what this is all about? Unsure how much I trust them to not gently caress up my existing metadata/matches at this point.

I did this last night and I gotta tell you, my metadata has never looked more meta!

It's just fine so far. I haven't ever really manually fiddled around much with any of my metadata, though. I can sure understand not wanting to lose hours of fine-tuning, ya obsessive nerd.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Because Android, iOS, and Web Browser all require different programming languages, odds are the plex app is three completely different programs, and the Android developer has been busy with other stuff that isn't making mashable face buttons that search by actor.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I regret setting my father up with a Plex server. Every night has been 3-4 hours of tech support.

Tonight's issue was that he was upset it didn't see the MP3 files he moved over. Turns out actually it did see the MP3 files, but when you put 358,000 files in the top level directory and only have six album subdirectories, it only thinks you have seven albums.

So he his this one album now with 358,000 tracks 😂

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm curious if anybody else in this thread is using a Raspberry Pi as their server.

I've been doing this and it's just grand. Recently switched from Ubuntu to OpenElec as the underlying OS. I'm running a 3-disk btrfs with RAID1 connected to a USB hub for storage.

It seems janky until I compare it with what I was using for essentially the same task 15 years ago, and then it seems INCREDIBLE.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Hoarding is hoarding :shrug:

:hmmyes:

Very relatable topic for this thread.

I'm sure one day my father will make it through all 820,000 songs...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My dad, who is going deaf, is suddenly triggering a transcoder death on his RPi4 when trying to burn VOBSUB. Anybody else seeing this?

Failing a reproduce, does anybody understand ffmpeg enough to know what -crf:0 would do? Maybe I can kludge up an ffmpeg wrapper to drop that option...

code:

Oct 03, 2021 10:18:59.705 [0xf1eb7d48] DEBUG - [Transcode/JobRunner] Job running: FFMPEG_EXTERNAL_LIBS='/config/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Codecs/be22e26-4019-linux-armv7neon/' X_PLEX_TOKEN='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' '/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder' '-codec:#0x01' 'h264' '-analyzeduration' '20000000' '-probesize' '20000000' '-i' '/media/peanut/Movies/O Brother Where Art Thou (2000).m4v' '-filter_complex' '[0:#0x03]scale=706:362[0];[0:#0x01][0]overlay[1];[1]scale=w=836:h=362[2];[2]format=pix_fmts=yuv420p|nv12[3]' '-map' '[3]' '-codec:0' 'libx264' '-crf:0' '16' '-maxrate:0' '1309k' '-bufsize:0' '2618k' '-r:0' '23.873999999999999' '-preset:0' 'veryfast' '-x264opts:0' 'subme=2:me_range=4:rc_lookahead=10:me=dia:no_chroma_me:8x8dct=0:partitions=none' '-force_key_frames:0' 'expr:gte(t,n_forced*8)' '-map' '0:#0x02' '-codec:1' 'copy' '-copypriorss:1' '0' '-f' 'dash' '-seg_duration' '8' '-dash_segment_type' 'mp4' '-init_seg_name' 'init-stream$RepresentationID$.m4s' '-media_seg_name' 'chunk-stream$RepresentationID$-$Number%05d$.m4s' '-window_size' '5' '-delete_removed' 'false' '-skip_to_segment' '1' '-time_delta' '0.0625' '-manifest_name' 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/video/:/transcode/session/nezw7xfuo89rh9cno67q9avh/6dd84541-8d5b-4e90-945b-095d2d640d11/manifest?X-Plex-Http-Pipeline=infinite' '-avoid_negative_ts' 'disabled' '-map_metadata' '-1' '-map_chapters' '-1' 'dash' '-start_at_zero' '-copyts' '-vsync' 'cfr' '-y' '-nostats' '-loglevel' 'quiet' '-loglevel_plex' 'error' '-progressurl' 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/video/:/transcode/session/nezw7xfuo89rh9cno67q9avh/6dd84541-8d5b-4e90-945b-095d2d640d11/progress'
Oct 03, 2021 10:18:59.705 [0xf1eb7d48] DEBUG - [Transcode/JobRunner] Jobs: Starting child process with pid 5713
Oct 03, 2021 10:18:59.727 [0xf24add48] DEBUG - Request: [127.0.0.1:50178 (Loopback)] PUT /video/:/transcode/session/nezw7xfuo89rh9cno67q9avh/6dd84541-8d5b-4e90-945b-095d2d640d11/progress?status=startup (7 live) Signed-in Token (Dadoo32) (range: bytes=0-) 
Oct 03, 2021 10:18:59.727 [0xf333bd48] DEBUG - Completed: [127.0.0.1:50178] 204 PUT /video/:/transcode/session/nezw7xfuo89rh9cno67q9avh/6dd84541-8d5b-4e90-945b-095d2d640d11/progress?status=startup (7 live) 0ms 203 bytes (pipelined: 1) (range: bytes=0-) 
Oct 03, 2021 10:18:59.731 [0xf24add48] ERROR - [Transcoder] Unrecognized option 'crf:0'.
Oct 03, 2021 10:18:59.732 [0xf24add48] ERROR - [Transcoder] Error splitting the argument list: Option not found

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

astral posted:

A quick google turns up: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264

Looks like the issue is it should be
code:
-crf 0
and not
code:
-crf:0

Thanks. Hmm. I wonder why Plex is passing the wrong flag.

I'll poke around a bit to see if the ffmpeg transcode template can be specified in a config file, but this is starting to smell like a bug.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I guess that's cool and all but why would you want a 4k render of a 45 year old cartoon?

A cartoon that old would be hard drawn, and would benefit from a high-res rescan, if the original cels still exist.

This app they're using apparently uses neural networks to add fidelity to low res video, which is incredibly cool. In theory you could get close to, or even surpass, the fidelity of the originals animation cels, which are surely all but completely lost to history at this point.

It's like the difference between a JPEG and an SVG.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Thought you guys would appreciate my pain. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out why Chucky wasn't being marked as played, despite every other show working. It took me until last week to realize I'm an idiot.

It's not just you, friend. I have no idea what I'm meant to see in this screen shot.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The background in the top right corner looks like the unplayed symbol.

Oh.

Oh!

I just laughed out loud and woke up my wife.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I just laughed out loud and woke up my wife.

Oh, that was you. I was wondering the she woke up again 7½ hours later.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I want to drop a big friendly "howdy" to anyone just joining this thread because of Star Trek: Discovery!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I've already tried opening it to see if it's a fan and it's a PITA to do, but I'll try again. I'm wary of trying Linux because I've done that before and even with Ubuntu I always find myself spending more time trying to get things to work than actually using it.

It's funny, this is exactly how I always wind up interacting with windows.

Go with whatever you're most familiar with, IMHO. It's not 1995 any more and Windows has address space isolation.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

forest spirit posted:

This might seem like a simple question, but I have one family member who doesn't want to use Plex because they're fairly private and they don't like the idea of my being able to see what they're watching and when.

Is there any way I can turn logging/tracking for specific users so I can't see their play history or anything? I couldn't see anything when I looked for myself.

No, I don't think so. Plus, if you were interested, you could just look to see what file was open while they were connected.

If this family member doesn't feel they can trust another family member, they should probably be buying DVDs.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

acksplode posted:

If I really liked them I'd make a one time offer to copy some files to a USB drive they provide.

This is a pro move, seconding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to rip Blu-ray discs?

As streaming starts looking more and more like cable, where it's gonna cost me $100/mo to get the things I'm interested in, it's starting to look more attractive to just buy DVDs again. Or blu-ray, if it's not a complete PITA to get them into Plex.