Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

I love the Plex interface on my android device, as well as the web browser, but the roku interface sucks rear end. Has anybody edited an XML or had it use a different profile or something?

fatpat268 posted:

I've been using plex on an old roku lt, and it's dog slow... at least compared to my android devices. Would the interface be any faster on the Roku 3?

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, I know what you mean. Plex on everything else has a pretty similar interface, but the implementation on Roku is just not great. Honestly, I'm probably just gonna pick up a Fire TV to replace this roku lt.

The Roku interface is the way it is because of Roku, not Plex - it's their interface SDK that is the limiting factor. Note that in many cases Netflix, HBO Go, Prime (especially Prime) and others generally look "worse" on the Roku. It's a limitation of the platform. Same situation with the player, which Plex has to use - it's not nearly as good (or easy to modify) as Android's is (and on Android you can even use a third party player if you want to jump through some hoops).

And given that it was just last year that Roku released an "update" that allowed for "better" interfaces on the Roku 3 - and it's only marginally better as a result - I'm guessing this is about as good as it's going to get, at least for current-gen Roku's. Even Plex's new "3.0" update that's in the PlexTest channel isn't that big an improvement (though it does have more navigation options).

The FireTV really does have a far superior interface for most apps, due to being Android and having a faster CPU/more memory. Netflix is still stuck in the dark ages on it but I expect that will change. Plex looks a lot better but as the FTV is a new device there are still some kinks to be ironed out, like multi-channel passthrough audio and such - but that will all be settled in the next month or two.

Edit: I own and use both extensively (Roku/FTV). I much prefer the FTV overall despite the teething problems. Hopefully they'll add some more channels like HBO Go soon.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

I spoke to soon anyways, local network streaming is awesome but I'm having issues getting it to connect outside my network. uPNP has never worked well on this actiontec router.

Emby has come a long way from the Media Browser days and there are some things it does better than Plex - on paper - but it has a long way to go, I think. Particularly with mobile apps. It took Plex a long time to get syncing right, for example, but these days it's something I rely on quite a bit when I take my tablet on road trips.

I have an Emby server set up and am a supporter so I can use the beta clients, but I'm guessing they have at least another 6-12 months of polish ahead of them to get to Plex quality/stability levels for things like mobile syncing. They also have a lot of Chromecast issues at the moment.

Everyone's situation is different; Plex still has its issues depending on what you run it on and what clients you use (as does Emby) so by all means try them both but it's not cut and dry that one is better than the other yet. Actually, for me it is: Plex :)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

I am pretty sure Apple would have to pay to license DTS, and they choose not to. I doubt they sell any media with DTS, so it makes some sense.

This is correct. DTS (like Dolby) has an upfront license and a royalty as well; if Apple isn't selling any content with DTS why would they pay for it? So people can play pirated media on their box without transcoding? :)

Lots of people miss that many common media essence formats, video and audio both, have some kind of royalty/license attached that commercial devices/software pay. The free open source stuff ignores it because A) it's free, no one is making money and B) they don't give a poo poo.

There's a reason Plex Media Server, which does the actual transcoding, etc., is and always will be free and open source, and this is one of them.

For the Apple TV - lack of 24p is more surprising to me, though not uncommon, fits with what they stream I guess.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

I actually ripped all my DVDs into my Plex library. V:shobon:V

Cornjob posted:

I actually did do this too. I could've learned a new language in the time it took.

Same. Years ago, and it was tedious as poo poo. BluRay even more so. However it can be done.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

What? You'll have to be a lot more specific for anyone to take you seriously.

He/she probably means because it's usually pointless. It's not a data protection scheme and configurations used to provide more speed have been long surpassed in the consumer market.

RAID isn't backup. The most common configuration for home users (either mirroring or parity striping across multiple identical disks to create an aggregate storage volume that protects against some level hardware failure) can and is done better by other methods, like the aforementioned DrivePool and others.

And as a data protection scheme RAID is bunk. Parity striping RAID (5/6/etc.) is about protecting volume integrity in case of single (or double, depends how you set it up) hardware failure, which is not the same thing as protecting data - protecting data can be a byproduct of that process, sure, but it's not the point of it.

It's also a problem these days with consumer spindle drives 2TB or larger, since they take forever to rebuild in case of failure and the rebuilding process can actually trigger another failure, in which case you are sunk.

ZFS has become more popular in recent years for home use (FreeNAS, TruNAS, others). Without getting in to the weeds on it ZFS is designed around data integrity and protection regardless of the underlying hardware. Takes an investment of time to understand/get working but there are more than a few PMS setups out there running on a FreeNAS server. Including, you might have guessed, me.

If you want to keep it simple just use Stablebit DrivePool on your Windows box and let it do its thing, it will walk you through it.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Dem Bones posted:

My storage needs for my Plex server are: large storage pools that can endure 1-2 drive failures, ideally able to handle mixed drive sizes and online expansion when I need it by purchasing a single drive at a time. ZFS sucks for that.

Stablebit Drivepool if you want to run a Windows server otherwise UnRAID.

ZFS is particularly good for media if you can deal with its management requirements.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

big money big clit posted:

Raidz and raidz2 are also types of raid. Even shared nothing architectures that use erasure coding are colloquially called "network raid" these days. Saying "don't raid at home" is a really silly statement absent any clarifying information and is mostly a silly one even with clarifying information.

Do you care about the availability of the data on your home network? Then you should probably ensure it in whatever way is economically and practically feasible. Raid-5 is better than nothing but worse than other things.

I wasn't the poster who said "don't raid at home". I was just clarifying that if you want to do real data and volume protection at home do it right and do your research otherwise you are setting yourself up for a false sense of security. There are a lot of otherwise bright people throwing a bunch of drives together with their motherboard or OSs RAID software and thinking they are protected against data loss.

For speed, it's mostly unnecessary for serving up media (the original topic) especially with spindle drives.

The strange thing to me is the reason I see come up the most is so people can have one large drive volume/letter instead of several and don't care about the protection aspect at all. For software like Plex that doesn't matter a bit since you can add multiple sources....actually with modern OS's it doesn't matter either.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Seriously the Plex Apple TV client is one of the best ones they have. If they finally get around to adding video preview thumbnails while scrubbing like they've been hinting for months it will be the top platform I think.

Remember their goal is to keep it as simple and clutter free as possible while providing a similar UI experience across all platforms. If you use a Plex client on a mobile device, Roku, or whatever the idea is you should have zero problems figuring it out on other kinds of clients. Only differences generally are minor look and feel (like the Apple TV client).

That's another major reason they went the route they did with the official Kodi addon.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Dietrich posted:

I'm cutting cable, looking to move my plex server off my main computer and into a dedicated media server, what kind of processor do I need to look for in a DVR box?

Edit: now reading the FAQ, and I'm thinking that was a stupid question - so the HDHomeRun EXTEND transcodes to h.264 and plex just tunes it and saves it to the NAS? cool poo poo.

The Extend works pretty well and as is the case with Emby I think it's the only device Plex works well with.

If you've never used it before know up front that antenna (type and position) is incredibly key to how well the thing works for you overall. Indoor antennas are very tricky no matter where you live. It will have a major impact on overall quality as well as how fast streams start - the dirtier the signal the more work has to be done.

Lots of people think digital broadcast TV is binary - it either works or it doesn't - and while this is true in a broad sense, especially compared to how analog signals work, it's not entirely that straightforward; you can pull in a weak signal that works, but takes longer to tune in or is more susceptible to drop outs, etc. In my experience this always comes down to where you live in relation to the various broadcast towers in your area, your immediate environment (tall buildings, trees, etc.), and your antenna type and placement.

Spend a lot of time researching antennas is what I'm getting at :)

Edit: https://www.antennaweb.org/ is a great place to do exactly this. It will tell you where the towers are based on your address and then make antenna recommendations. It's not always 100% accurate but is a great place to start.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 3, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

Does Windows 10 have something to replace Windows Media Center? The main reason I decided to stick with Windows 7 was that I can use my XB360's as media extender cable boxes in my office and garage. If Windows 10 allows me to still do that then maybe I'll upgrade.

Nope. In fact they explicitly took it away. There have been various hacks since to "re-enable" it but they are just that - hacks. Not a long term solution.

WMC is dead. The corpse may not smell yet but trust me it is not a long-term solution.

As a catch-22 for your situation, Windows 7, while not dead, isn't a long-term thing either.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I get that, and eventually I will update everything. I don't expect to be able to use 10 year old video game consoles to stream from my 8 year old operating system forever. But with the way I'd like things to work with the equipment I have right now, I feel like WMC is the only solution available to me. I have PS3s acting as my HDHR cable boxes in place of the XBox 360s for now and they actually are working out alright despite not having the program guide that WMC provides. The program guide is actually the only thing I really want to use WMC for, it just makes using the XB360 so easy for when friends and family are around.

For right now I'm just trying to make do with the equipment I have. I might end up getting a couple Shield TVs or FTVs, or some combination of the two and get them setup with some kind of Live TV/DVR app. I don't really know what's out there though, so I'll have to do a little research once I decide to spend the money.

At least Plex is somehow functional at the moment, so I have my DVR back after a couple weeks of trying to watch things live like some kind of heathen.

The Shield TV supports Google Live Channels (an app that is a TV Guide). Live Channels works with the HDHR; it pulls in the data and formats it in a very nice, and WMC (dare I say) like guide. I think HDHR even supports DVR functions with it now though you will want to check on that (it was promised last I checked about 8 or so months ago).

If all you use for TV is the HDHR with an Antenna and not cable card that is not only the way to go, it's a better way to go.

You can also use HDHRs app (which is on Android TV and other services) though its guide kind of blows and I don't know if they ever got around to supporting CableCard with it.

If CableCard is what you have then outside of Tivo WMC is the only real way to go and also you are hosed because CableCard and WMC are great ideas that all but died before Cord cutting became a mainstream thing...ironically enough.

Teagone has a good point though, Direct TV Now (which I am trying) is actually shaping up to be one of the best TV Streaming services, though it still needs work (no Cloud DVR yet). And the "lifetime" promo price of $35 ($40 with HBO, which includes HBO Go access) is hard to beat. You might find that works even better than what you are doing now, depending on what channels you like.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I've got the HDHR Prime, so it's using a cable card. I don't know what all problems people have had with WMC, but for the last month or two it worked perfect for what I wanted it to do. I knew going in that I'd eventually need to upgrade my server and get rid of the console's, but I didn't realize how limited my options would be past what I already have.

I think I will try and jump on this DirecTV Now promo and just try to scale back some of our other spending so it doesn't impact our budget. Then eventually we'll cut cable altogether.

Honestly that is the best option available, if not the best option (you can try Vue/Sling, some prefer them, though DTV Now's lifetime price deal can't be beat right now). Widespread cablecard and ongoing WMC support, with perhaps even a little competition, would have been even better in many ways, but you know, in the US when it come to TV we can't have nice things. At least when it comes to "old school" TV which is what CC/WMC directly challenged in many ways.

The new, everything is an App model has improved a lot, and viewing habits are changing also to the point where for many it is truly great, but if you want to simply replicate the cable TV/cable box experience without having to deal with their poo poo hardware and "rental" pricing you are out of luck. The HDHR Prime (and its subpar competition) and WMC were the only real solutions, and it's time to be honest: that corpse may still twitch if you kick it, but it's still a corpse.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

HDHR finally installed! Hooray! I think it was a .Net update that finally allowed installation to complete. WMC was kind of a bastard to get back up and running, but appears to be good to go now so my setup is now back to it's gloriously obsolete, yet functional status.

Still probably going to check out DirecTV Now though and slowly transition away from cable, cablecards, and WMC so I don't get left out in the cold when everything ceases to work altogether. I assume once I'm off cable there will be no use for Plex DVR? It sounds like DVR functionality will be included with DTV Now at some point, so I guess I just point Plex at whatever folder it all gets dumped into and carry on. Is Plex DVR aimed more at people who just want to use the normal OTA HDHR setups?

Plex DVR is for the "original" form of cord-cutting, i.e. OTA like you surmise. It's more useful outside of the US where digital channels without a dedicated STB are more plentiful, at least in some countries.

That said you may not want to do away with your setup, just the CableCard part. If the Prime can do regular OTA as well with an antenna you should keep it - DTV Now, and for that matter all other streaming services, doesn't do a great job with broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, etc.). Mostly due to licensing issues and whether the broadcast network owns the station in your area or if it is an affiliate.

For example, where I live in Austin I can only get Fox through DTV Now. And even in markets with more coverage there are restrictions, for example NBC doesn't allow streaming on some types of devices in any market. Etc. It's a real, and stupid, mess and the easiest way to cut through it is just to get those channels OTA. Plex DVR should be good for that still.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Live/DVR OTA TV is one area Emby has Plex beat. If you are in to a Plex-like experience and want a good guide/tv setup that works across multiple clients and supports DVR and Live viewing as well you should try it out. Note it is really only meant for OTA/HDHR Extend but if your Cable company doesn't set any flags on most of its channels you can probably get that to work with it too.

I prefer Plex atm but I still have Emby running on my server as a backup. If Emby improves their mobile clients I'll probably switch back.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

CFox posted:

Speaking of no internet does this new Plex Media Player require it? I installed it yesterday on the same desktop that my media server is on and it kept prompting to claim the media server but when I tried to it that it seemed like it never actually did anything. This desktop is only ever connected to the internet to update the library.

I'm hoping not since it loaded up all of the library metadata just fine it just always popped up an error when trying to play anything.

Depends on how you are connecting with the client, I think. Auto-discover should work on local lan but I think it does phone home so perhaps that's the problem. You should be able to manually specify your server ip though in the client and have it work.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Khablam posted:

The Windows 10 UWP app also allows sync.
Pretty useful for keeping a laptop synced to your current shows for commutes/etc.

The Plex Windows store app is one of their most functional and polished clients, surprisingly enough. I use it all the time on my laptop while travelling. Sync is a big deal for it, and I love the way it handles it:

If you have an internet connection but it's lovely (in a hotel, say) you can tell the client to prefer synced files but still connect to your regular PMS server. I do this all the time to background download files over crappy internet while watching stuff I already synced. Or occasionally put up with crappier quality if I really want to watch something new that's on my home server.

When you don't have internet, like on a plane (or it's super lovely, also like on a plane) you can quickly switch the "server" to the local client, and it will only show media you've synced.

It also does a very good job of encoding the files being synced on the fly - they end up being perfect for my device and quite a bit smaller. Sync is absolutely worth PlexPass if you travel. Also worth it if you have a friend who shares their library and they allow you to sync as well as stream (it's an option for the host), that way you can get stuff they have permanently.

The Plex client for iOS does this really well too.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

Jesus Christ I just subbed lifetime a day before.

As mentioned earlier tweet them, or whatever the gently caress system people younger than me are using these days, and they will refund you the difference.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

teagone posted:

I'm also willing to bet that Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive will eventually follow. Plex Cloud always sounded like a bad idea from the start to me, for obvious reasons :tinfoil:

Seriously, what makes them think the others won't notice? Even a relatively small number of users uploading a shitload of content - pirated content - is going to get noticed. Like, for example, Amazon did. It's not like there aren't users, frankly, who work at all of those companies.

Were they just counting on flying under the radar, or do they believe their own bullshit? No one is just using Plex for their own Photos or personal home videos no matter how hard they push that.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

It seems if Plex is serious about doing this, they're going to need to roll out their own centers with end to end encryption, and that just seems far too much work/cost to bother based on how many people want such a thing.

There is zero chance of that happening. I will become a fighter pilot in the Chinese air force (I live in Texas) before that happens.

It smacks of "Cloud is a thing that keeps growing, how can we latch on to it?". Or they really are deluded as to just how much of their userbase uses Plex to watch downloaded media that the creators and owners of said media didn't authorize. I mean, seriously, people were putting 30+ Terabytes of pirated BDs up on Amazon. That is so not something Amazon or anyone else is going to wink and nod at. "Hey Bob, think of the hundreds or even THOUSANDS of people who will pay us $100-200 a year to host content that will get us terrible PR at the least and sued at worst! We could beat them in court under the CDA, it's got to be worth the return!". No.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The encrypted debate always comes up in discussions of Plex's cloud storage support and the answer is always the same - encrypting isn't going to hide the fact that you've got 10, 20, 30, whatever TB of media up there that you are streaming to a client. They aren't stupid. The problems with Amazon aren't happening by accident.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

odiv posted:

Can I put stolen cars on that bridge, or...?

edit: oh, I took the plunge and got lifetime. Hopefully I keep using it, but it's been invaluable in my house so far.

Plex is still great even if you never touch the cloud poo poo and having Premium for syncing to mobile is awesome if you travel even a little bit or otherwise are in places where good access back to your home server isn't a given. Also, you get features and betas earlier.

Case in point: I have yet to touch any cloud drive or cloud PMS poo poo. When I used Emby it was half-decent for syncing the occasional show to, say, Dropbox, when I was on the road since often downloading off dropbox was much faster than from my home server. I got AT&T Gigapower when I moved a few months back so that is no longer an issue but I am sure that use case is still super useful to many.

As far as running PMS and storing all media in "the cloud" - gently caress that.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember the day when I first heard the term 'cloud computing' and looked into it... so wait, rather than having to pay for a ton of overage I don't actually need, I now have a distributed system that can react and keep up with big surges when they happen, and scale appropriately? That's so cool!

Then someone in the media, presumably, heard the term and now it just means 'on the internet'. Thanks Obama.

"The Cloud" in terms of scalable on-tap distributed computing where the pricing model is pay as you go is awesome, and lots of good solutions exist for that.

"The Cloud" as in take your data center poo poo on prem and move it to another data center managed by somebody else so you can take capital expenses and payroll off your P&L became a thing and makes sense from a financial point of view but less so from a technical one. That model is driven by tax laws for the most part.

I'm not saying something like Plex couldn't benefit from the first definition, but the problem is in the end it's dealing with a bunch of copyright violations and the people who own the infrastructure generally don't want anything to do with that. In the US, by law they have to crack down on it, otherwise they lose the shield section 230 of the CDA provides them. That is what makes Plex's push in to this area so puzzling.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Craptacular! posted:

Thing is, this was never a big priority with law enforcement, compared to global dangers like crazy gunmen, sympathizers of crazy despots, etc. If the FBI couldn't be bothered to go after Reddit's pedo poo poo sitting right there in the open, what makes you think they care about your Plex account.

I don't mean to dare you that nothing's going to happen, but some people who pirate things seem to think the full force of the Snowden machine is going to be applied to them. Like you're going to go board a plane and the TSA worker will ask how you got two volumes of Naruto and the de-specialized edition of Empire Strikes Back on your laptop.

This whole veer into law enforcement - whether the FBI is going to gun for you, whether the NSA is secretly recording all your loving BD rips, etc. - is puzzling to me because that isn't what the problem with Plex Cloud is about at all.

Is the FBI going to waste time on this? Not likely. Are the MPAA and their various counterparts going to serve notice to Amazon, Dropbox, et. all if (when) they find out? More probable.

More to the point, are the lawyers who are employed by the hundreds by these multi-million and billion dollar companies going to even allow for the chance of this happening? gently caress no. They are a business, the law whether you agree with it or not is clear, and at the very least none of them want bad PR. Amazon in particular is already in a dicey game with studios, given that they produce their own content now and legally license a lot of stuff they don't. Why would they even bother taking a chance for some cloud storage accounts that net them a few hundred bucks a year on average, and that's for the heaviest users?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Housh posted:

Plex Pass support is amazing. After 4-5 hours it looks like my ISP is throttling my speed. The major speed test sites show my advertised upload speeds but running iperf from my host to iperf.he.net showed an initial burst at the advertised 10Mbps only to drop to 1Mbps for the remaining duration of the iperf run.

My ISP is denying it and blaming my cable modem. Saying my ARRIS model has had issues. I think it's a load of poo poo and I trust the Plex support. Either they are throttling everyone for the holidays cause it's cable modem or unlimited isn't actually unlimited and I hit some sort of invisible monthly cap.

That doesn't sound like typical throttling symptoms. If you have an older Arris modem they may be right. Arris firmware can sometimes be poo poo. Did they offer to replace it? Or is it yours? If it is yours did you check to see if there is a newer update for it?

Don't get trapped in the false equivalency of "I haven't had problems before/problems with other services". Troubleshoot it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The whole point of Docsis is you don't have to use their modem and you should also make sure you aren't actually paying a fee.

A common "trick" is to not charge a fee outright on your bill, but offer a $5/month discount or something if you supply your own modem. That is a de facto equipment fee no matter how it shows up on your bill.

No cable franchise in the US is going to overlook ways to bill you so make sure. Maybe check BroadbandReports.com as well, see if there is a discussion forum for your local cable franchise operator that has more details (it will be filled with people complaining about this or that but sometimes good specific info can be found).

If it truly is something they are throwing in then I would demand a new modem anyway. A 4 year old Arris cable modem is likely to be a piece of poo poo no matter what obvious problems you may or may not have and 4 years is more than long enough to justify getting a new one.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

teagone posted:

I went to the docker website and all I read was a bunch of mumbo jumbo that meant nothing to me. What are the benefits of Plex supporting docker? What use case is it for?

It depends entirely if you find Docker, or more specifically Docker's application deployment features, useful or not. If you don't or you don't know what Docker is then you don't care. If you use Docker for Application VM hosting then you do. It's pretty binary.

If all you are really doing is running a Plex server at home then you don't care unless you want to get in to the whole Docker scene for multiple reasons.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Khablam posted:

In the before-times, [XviD and DivX days] there was definitely an art to making 700mb rips look better than a smeary mess. Now? You're always better just throwing an extra 1mBit of encoder at a file if you reasonably suspect it needs it, rather than running 100 samples and trying to A/B which esoteric image control gives the best results.
The same logic for multi-pass encodes; just use more bitrate than you think gives a good result and go single pass and save time.

poo poo is easy these days.

I rip all my BD's with MakeMKV. My Freenas server has tons of storage so I don't bother re-encoding them. I just like having my untouched BD disks available in a good 10 foot interface (Plex or Kodi), instant loading, and no annoying pre-roll shenanigans. I'm happy to pay for my content, the the default disk delivery just sucks.

I use two LG WH16NS40 BD drives. These are excellent and generally rip - simultaneously - at 4-8x, sometimes higher depending on the disk. That translates in to about 20 minutes or so per normal BD movie. MakeMKV makes the process dead simple in a few clicks so the tedious job of ripping movies is much easier. I've done about 150 of my disks, including some TV shows.

As pointed out earlier ripping stuff these days is easy. It only takes longer if you are trying to save on file size. If you want your stuff in an MP4 container, use Handbrake after the mkv is created, if you are just switching containers it doesn't take long (though some stuff like subtitles can get jacked in the process). A better solution is get a Plex client system like a Shield that doesn't require server-side transcoding for MKV containers.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Lol people in that Reddit thread threatening to cancel their Plex pass because the fan art size changed. Some people man

"I'm gonna cancel my Plex Pass" threat is the single most meaningless whine on the official forums as well. I get "vote with your dollars" and all that, but when it's overused to this point it's lost all meaning.

The only metric Plex would look at is people who actually did cancel the pass and stopped sending them money. A lot of times especially on "unofficial" support forums people seem to genuinely believe there's someone from the company in question there keeping a tally or something.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

Seems like plex should be able to autoscale the streams depending on load if it knows the total upstream.

Hell, it could be auto tuning if it looked at retransmissions etc.

That would require adaptive bitrate streaming, which Plex doesn't do. Plex does live transcoding of your media (unless you have already chosen to "optimize" said media using that feature) on the fly. Adaptive bitrate streaming - like Netflix, Hulu, etc. - requires multiple versions of the same file to chose from. Or your pc would need to adapt/transcode on the fly, using a fragmented file instead of one source, changing the bit rate depending on available bandwidth. You'd need a buffer and the actual technical ability to send constant QOS data back to the Plex media server. MPEG-Dash does this however there's serious overhead involved. You'd need the storage and CPU overhead to handle it.

Whether they do this in the future is up to them, but it's not something they do now.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Like I said earlier, it would be really nice if they split off transcoding so you could have processes running on multiple servers. The Plex web app and metadata database on one machine, and the ability to register X number of servers as transcoding servers. Would help greatly with scaling and it sounds like it might make adapative bitrate streaming more possible.

Niche use case. I don't mean desirability of ABS, I mean users who would set up an in-home transcoding farm. Also commercial on-prem software that does that, like Telestream Vantage, costs tens of thousands of dollars. It's not easy to do.

They could leverage cloud compute, but the big players like Amazon are already notoriously unfriendly to Plex and the idea of thousands of Plex users setting up cloud transcoding farms to stream pirated media to their buddies seems....unlikely, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

Microsoft came closest to the ideal with SmoothStreaming a few years ago - that at least let you take a single high-bitrate source and fragmented it on the fly - but it chewed CPU like no ones business and is also now dead. MPEG-Dash is the newer industry "standard" around ABS but is more complicated. This isn't an easy problem to solve, really.

You are better off just setting an upper limit on bandwidth, like previous posts suggest, and insuring you have a CPU that can handle the load. With ABS you'd need a beefy CPU anyway. There's really not as much benefit to the use cases folks are posting here as far as ABS is concerned.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thanks for that. Looks like some folks can get it to work, though it's a process.

Worth noting it has nothing to do with Adaptive Bitrate (where this convo last ended) - it just allows you to spread on-demand decoding around. From the looks of the Github thread some problems are to be had with remote streaming.

So, might be a good way to lessen your overall load if you have a lot of simultaneous local streams? Maybe if you transcode a lot of media for offline mobile/optimization?

Honestly, getting a decent CPU should satisfy most use cases. Upstream bandwidth is going to be the gating factor for most people anyway, especially in the US.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Cornjob posted:

Does plex now support local metadata? I have brought this up in the past, and the answer then was no. I noticed the PMS agent seems to have changed, and I see their support website indicates its possible.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677-Local-Media-Assets-Movies

Does this mean i can use emby or a similar metada downloaded to have local .NFO's, JPEGS, etc? My library huge, and Im a stickler for cover art. It'd be nice not to have to re edit everything in PMS, every time i move to a new server or get create a new library.

Can i export my existing posters to the same folder where the movies are stored, so I don't have drag them over from somewhere else?

If you are super-picky about metadata and have custom entries for all your stuff you are better off with Emby. Emby does metadata, including local metadata, much better than Plex. Though Plex is a slightly better overall solution.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

BRBPR posted:

I'm running both Plex and Emby servers in my house. My wife has been using Emby for ages and I switched over to Plex a couple years ago. She won't switch because of her watched status' on her shows. I did mine manually and she refuses. It's there any way to export the watched status without using trakt? I installed the plugin on Emby and it fails every time I try to run it. Would this be better posted on the Emby thread? I could do it manually, it's just a lot of time.

When I switched from Plex to Emby and then a couple years later from Emby to Plex (Plex, ultimately, won the day with better remote streaming and remote clients - though I like Emby overall from an admin point of view and paid "lifetime" passes for both) Trakt was the solution. What issues are you having with it? It's not 100% accurate but if you follow the 80% rule (i.e. good enough) you can generally fix what's left with little trouble. You can always wipe your account when done if that is a concern.

Other than Trakt I am not sure if there is an easy way to do this though perhaps someone else knows.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

I know that Plex Server run off a Shield Pro is still early stages and a bit crap, but what gives when I do a MakeMKV of a simple DVD like Get Hard, keep all the audio tracks and throw it on the NAS. Every time I play it from either the NAS or the Shield TV, it ends up having trouble playing it because it has to transcode something and it's doing it too slowly to keep up.

Also when it is synced from the Shield TV (which seems to show it doing it at 2.3X~ or so) it is a 50/50 chance it will be a compressed jumbled mess (like its syncing in 140P or something stupid), or a normal quality Sync.

I know sometimes audio tracks seem to cause issues, but MakeMKV is pretty close to a raw dump and being a DVD, I just don't get why Plex is having so much trouble either leaving the stupid file alone as everything can play that MKV just fine in its natural format, or how it can do it's magic just fine with BluRay MKV's but not DVD ones. (Though I guess it can depend since the BluRay's are encoded through RipBot vs the DVD's being direct rips because handbreak was pissing me off with the last few batches of videos, either breaking audio/video sync, or some other random glitch that just eats more time then it would be to just rip and nas it.

Guess I might need to just run the MakeMKV files through RipBot or Handbreak now that they are no longer on the disk/image and should convert properly. Ugh

It's just the process of getting everything to convert correctly. There is always that one Disk that wan't to be different and throws a huge wrench in the process that makes me question the quality of the rest of a batch or something.

Also, were HDDVD's known to "Rot" Like BluRay's were in the early days? My Matrix Trilogy HDDVD's I got when HDDVD was doing its final death sell off, can't seem to be read normally by anything and you can sort of see some wonkyness going on at certain light angles. Might have been why I never got those converted as I think I had trouble in the past with them as well. :(

It probably has more to do with your client, the transcoding profiles for it, and how Plex Server interacts with same than the server itself.

The easiest way to avoid transcoding issues is to use a client (Kodi, or it's offshoot SPMC, the latter if you are using a Shield TV as the client) that handles transcoding locally and has the power to do so. If properly set up a Shield TV (Client) running Kodi or SPMC should "direct play" anything PMS sends it. If it isn't, something is off in your setup or your source files are totally jacked.

MakeMKV rips should be fine, I have about 200 BD's ripped with that and they play direct on my Shield Clients. Meaning, on TVs that don't support, say, the full audio track, it will transcode just that, accurately, and in my media room which has an AVR will full audio support up to Atmos it'll just pass everything through. Something sounds off.

Now when it comes to using a Shield as both the server AND the playback client, I couldn't say. I don't use any of my Shields for that. My FreeNAS box hosts my media and the PMS server.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
ATV is great these days if you are bought in to Apple's iTunes ecosystem. Which to be fair lots of people still are.

Otherwise, it is pointless and far behind the times. Yes, some apps which have taken full advantage of TVOS look pretty slick, but behind the gradients is the same app. Sometimes less so.

If you can afford it, buy a Shield. Otherwise the FTV is probably the next best, cheaper choice. Roku needs to get their poo poo together worse than Apple does and...well that is about it. Unless you are talking some custom HTPC thing like it was still 2005 in which case you are on a whole different track these days and probably need a decent streaming box anyway.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

teagone posted:

But a Surface 4 Pro running Plex Media Player (not the app from the Windows App Store) would likely require zero transcoding.

You'd be better off with Kodi in that scenario unless you wanted remote streaming/syncing.

Ipads are still the best Plex tablets IMHO. Also the best tablets. Granted, "best tablet" is something of a low bar these days but it does what it needs to do well and they even have a reasonably cheap/good one out now.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Godinster posted:

Wouldn't the "best Plex tablet" likely have a 16:9 aspect ratio, not 4:3, if the main intention of the tablet is for Plex?

Depends on a lot of things. Like there being a 16x9 tablet that does Plex as well as the iPad/iOS (there isn't) or if most/all the content you watch is 1:78/1:85 - though I'd argue those aspect ratios, common for TV shows and many films respectively, are perfectly fine with 4:3 aspect ratio screens, and really 2:35 or higher films is where a 16x9 tablet would benefit.

You can find 16x9 Android tablets, but in my opinion Android tablets are pretty much poo poo, even for just using Plex, and I prefer using an iPad. The client is experience better as is the player, and the iPad screen is generally higher quality, though there are exceptions in Android land to that.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

flashy_mcflash posted:

Thanks. Looks like I'm pulling the trigger on premium tonight!

Every tv show or movie I sync to, for example, Dropbox, so I can import them to Kodi when I am on the road (like I am now) is named "file.mp4" and buried in a maze of subfolders with obscure ids. Emby doesn't do this but that is how Plex works. It can make manually renaming stuff a pain for Kodi.

I'd use the Plex Client and stream directly from Dropbox except that has never worked for me and also won't work if I am offline (like on a plane) of course.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I am glad it works for you but sooner or later you are headed for a minor disaster, you know that right. If it's just downloaded movies and such you don't care that much about maybe it doesn't matter but you'd be far better off with a solution actually designed to solve this problem rather than scotch-taping one together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I set the HDHR Connect I bought a year or two ago when it was on sale as a science project back up and I am pretty pleased with how far Plex Live TV/DVR has come. I have Shields in my house which seems to be one of the best devices for it (considering live tuning only supports Android/iOS at the moment anyway).

I spent a little time dickering with my antenna via antennaweb.org and found a placement that works for my setup and gets solid signals. Been using it a few weeks and so far so good. Some recent PMS/Plexpass updates have been wonky with LiveTV - the build before last crashed my PMS server at least once a day - but it is improving. Seems to be getting quite good. Recording works great too.