Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

UScr00ge posted:

I just discovered the USTVnow plugin for Plex while searching for plugins that allow HDHomerun OTA plugin streaming throughout the house and my mind is sort of blown. I had to lie when I set up my USTVNow account and say I live in Canada (the service is for ex-pats I believe) but I'm now watching the Masters inside Plex for free. I'm seriously considering cancelling my DirecTV now and buying the USTVNow premium subscription because it has most of the channels I want for 30 bucks a month and I can use Plex on a ton of devices.

Here's the plugin in case anyone is interested.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/60268-rel-ustvnow-plugin/

This is insane. Thanks for posting this! I might have to find a friend or two to split a premium with..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I got really excited when I read about PlexConnect in this thread the other day but for some reason I'm having trouble getting it working on my main PC. I was able to easily get it setup on my Mac laptop as well as a barely used Bootcamp but for some reason it isn't playing nice on my desktop. It seems like it'll pull the certs fine and I'll get a basic listing of the On Deck and whatnot but poster art doesn't load and when I try to play something it just spins Loading Trailers forever. I tried opening all the necessary ports as well as just turning the firewall off entirely but it doesn't help. Reinstalled Python and regenerated new certs as well.

Any ideas? Anyone run into something similar?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I installed PlexConnect the other day onto my Win 8 box and ATV 3 and didn't run into any problems. Are you using the guide on the site? One thing that caught me out is (due to remoting in), I made a spelling mistake on one of the command line elements and this completely bodged things. A quick fix later and it worked fine. The fact you're getting to your library means it's probably not this though :(

Maybe worth checking the logs or the console output it has on screen to see if there's anything there that provides a hint?

I didn't have any problems with either of the two attempts I made so there must be something else interfering. The CLI stuff I cut and paste and seemed to run correctly and I've recreated them a couple times including the other win7 box I tested with. From what I can tell on the console, requests are being made and received and no errors seem to be getting generated but its almost like part of it is getting stuck. I'll get like 5 lines of xml and js stuff and then it just stops.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

Plex for Android free today (30 Oct 2014) in the Amazon app store: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y1WCDE/

Also free in the international app store, for example:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004Y1WCDE/
http://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B004Y1WCDE/
... But not the UK one.

Dammit, I just bought this like 2 days ago.

edit: They just refunded me the previous purchase! Thanks for the link!

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 30, 2014

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Last night I realized I could use the plex.tv site to stream my videos to my browser at work. I had a particular series in mind and tested everything at home first using the website and it seemed to work fine. I get in today and I get the 'Error loading player: HTML5 Player not found' when trying to play them. Last night they worked fine so I remoted in to my home PC and now I'm getting the same error there. I'm using Chrome on Windows at home and Chrome on Mac at work. The files are mp4 video files and other videos I tested work but those are usually MKVs of actual movies. Playback to the Plex iOS app works without issue if that matters.

Any idea? PMS is updated and Chrome is updated as well. What could have changed in 10 hours?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Walked posted:

Dumb question, but have you restarted PMS?

I did after running into the issue. I meant to mention that.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Huh. I don't know why this worked but it did. Thanks!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Chromecast with Plex would be my preferred method of using it but as someone else recently mentioned I hate having to wakeup my phone to pause and whatnot. If there was a physical remote it would be perfect. I'm using a FireTV right now but might switch to the Nexus player eventually since I think that should do it.

Unacknowledged posted:

Plex on my Apple TV 2 all of a sudden stopped seeing my server on the LAN and showing listings. After a lot of fiddling, I got it working, but only by giving it the WAN IP of the server. It's dialing out and back in to stream stuff, which is ridiculous. Anyone have any idea on how can I revert this to work properly?

I had a bitch of a time getting Plex working on my ATV until I figured out Virtualbox had created a virtual network adapter on my PMS and that was loving a whole lot of poo poo up. Have you installed anything like that recently? I was using Plexconnect instead of the app but I'm sure having your PMS broadcasting multiple IPs is overall undesirable.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Medullah posted:

You just described a FireTV stick, Chromecast with a remote

I think I had problems with Plex on my FireTV since I run Plex through XBMC on it instead of with the native app. I can't remember why so I should probably revisit and make sure I'm not making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Roundboy posted:

What are the ideal settings for Plex on a fire TV? I plugged mine back in at-home after getting back on vacation, and using the experimental player I can get proper playback from mkvs that I normally don't, but it often chokes and says my transfer rate isn't enough to keep up.

This is using a gigabit wired connection on a file that is 3 mbps max '/

Is there a way to test my actual transfer rate? Its never been an issue before, all I did was have it unplugged for a week.

If your Fire TV and the Plex server are both wired on the same router you're probably having a playback/transcoding issue instead of a bandwidth issue.

For mkv playback I wasn't able to use the Plex app on my Nexus Player until doing what this person suggested but I also have it connected to my receiver which supports multichannel PCM and seems to be a requirement for this fix. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/895207/#Comment_895207

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Roundboy posted:

so basically im editing plex's settings for android to allow it to pass the audio, because it wasnt before ? dispite checkboxing AAC, etc from the options menu on the firetv?

AC3 audio in MKV containers seems to be a very touchy subject with plex... works everywhere else, except plex on the fire tv... and there is a lot of back and forth on that

I honestly have no idea why it works or what its doing. I changed that 2 to a 6 in the Plex Android profile and it went from either no audio or stereo to proper multi-channel on all my mkvs. Keep in mind this only works if your receiver supports multi-channel pcm.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

I have an issue with the iOS app and Chromecast, where the Chromecast seems to stop playing video and the iPhone, when woken, offers to resume it on the phone. This doesn't happen with Plex for Android, or with any other Chromecast function on my iPhone.

I wonder if there's some kind of heartbeat keeping a connection between the iPhone and the Chromecast, and iOS killing Plex's activity as a background task causes the link to break. Every other app seems to hand Chromecast a video to play and then if the link between the two devices are broken, you simply have no control over playback of it until you re-establish it.

You don't have this issue when you cast something from Plex on an Android device? Are you using different bandwidth settings? My understanding of how Google Casting works (and I could easily be wrong) is that once you start playback your casting device is no longer involved in the stream. If you play something with iOS and then immediately manually close Plex do you still have the issue?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

The grad school dorm I just moved into doesn't let me use a Chromecast due to the secure wireless network. Does the Fire Stick work differently than the Chromecast when it comes to controlling it via WiFi?

If not then I think my best option is the Nexus TV?

Do you mean you need to use a login portal instead of just SSID with a password? If that's the case I believe Fire TV does support that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

I'm not entirely sure why it doesn't work. When we try to set it up it just can't connect to the wireless and doesn't ask for any credentials. There's no login portal, just an SSID/password.

I emailed the IT people and they said Chromecast won't work on the school networks and running our own wifi is also prohibited. Whether 'prohibited' is synonymous with 'frowned upon' in this situation remains to be seen.

With the Fire Stick, I'm wondering if it's controlled differently with it's own interface for browsing, controlling settings, etc. since it has it's own remote and you aren't just casting the video from another device. It's not my Chromecast so I've never used one nor have I used a Fire Stick.

Any more details on the VPN or the wifi-wifi bridge since those wouldn't require me buying anything else?

Well, to be honest in a large shared wifi environment Chromecast probably isn't a good idea since anyone else on the same SSID will be able to use it. Fire stick might not run into this issue since it has a UI of its own and doesn't require a second device to use.