Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm trying to connect to my in home Plex server from the internet. I've got port fowarding to 32400 on to the mac address of the Plex server but I still can't hit it from outside my network. Is there some setting on the Plex server I need to make so that it allows external connections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

teagone posted:

Should just be an option to make sure is checkmarked in the server settings. This help desk article goes into a bit more detail though, regarding router configuration and what not: https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200289506
Ya, I'm missing something somewhere; I'm signed into Plex on the server, and on my iPad, but when I'm not on my home network, and try to add the server I get an 'unable to add connection The server returned an unexpected response'. I'm forcing the server to the port in the settings and don't see much of anything else. I can run Air Video fine.

Do I need a plex pass for this to work? That would make sense I guess.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

teagone posted:

Plex Pass isn't required to stream remotely. The only thing I can think of is your router doing some weird things whenever you make a request to your Plex Server from like a cell network or another wifi network on another device. Have you tried manually specifying a different port to forward instead of the default one?
Good - I'm at work, and I ran an open port checker against my home ip, on port 32400 and it is open. If I use a browser to go to <myip>:32400/web I get the charcoal plex background and a message in the side panel giving my server name, and telling me 'We're sorry, but we can't reach the server'.

Grumpwagon posted:

Check in settings>server>connect if port 32400 is actually the external port. It's 25something for me, and I've never changed it.
Yup, just remoted into my home server and it's Manually Specified to be port 32400.

If I use the Plex ios client (remotely) when I try to add the server by ip/port it tells me "The server returned an unexpected response".

Several other things that are port forwarded to the same computer work fine (including Air Video). And of course Plex works perfect locally.

edit: Turned on debug logs and got the message ""message": "Unknown is unavailable at [url]http://[/url]<remoteip>:32400/ (Status 406)","

porktree fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 7, 2014

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

porkface posted:

You've probably already tried this but...

1. Update server and all clients to latest.
2. Configure server to login to your Plex account
3. Visit http://plex.tv/web and see if you get an interface.
Done, done and done - I checked it all again to be sure; going to the url gives me the same message " chimp We're sorry, but we can't reach this server." (Chimp is the server name).

edit: doh - remoted into my home PC, checked the settings to make sure I was 'Signed in' then noticed the giant loving orange button saying connect to Plex. Wellll, that allowed me to browse the url and see my library from the http://plex.tv/web url. Again doh. Which in turn allowed me to successfully connect at http:<myip>/web. So that's all working.

teagone posted:

I'm really not trying to sound like a dick, but gotta ask everything. Your Plex Server is set to stay on right? Assuming it's a PC, it's not set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time is it? Have you tried remote playback in-home with your smartphone's cell/data connection?
Ha, no issue - I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong or stupid. The server stays on; it get's used by the wife/kids throughout the day. I get the same issues using the cell/data connection. See my edit - I was doing something wrong and stupid :)

Thank for your help everyone.

porktree fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 9, 2014

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Lifetime passes have never worked out well for me, every single has seen a company either go bust a few years later or the product just tails off slowly. I think the only one I can recall that has worked out for anyone else was the TiVo. None of the Plex Pass features scream "go sub now!" to me either.
I'm with you on this. Either I don't fully understand the benefits of the Plex Pass or because I'm always networked and can see my home media center I don't have a good use case. I've happily bought Plex for my iOS and Android devices. On one hand, I'm tempted to buy because 'the future'. But, I can't see anyway I'd actually use it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I'm using the Plex android app, controlling my Chromecasts and it's all working pretty well. But I noticed there's a Plex widget - is anyone using this? I can't get it to add to a screen because it wants a Player (which I'd thought would be my Chromecast), if I just tell it 'ok' it complains that "No Player Selected", but pressing "Select Player" only shows me "Play On" and no player list. Is the widget broken, or am I?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

suddenlyissoon posted:

You have to have a source. It can be the web player, the Android app, iOS app, any of the apps really.

edit: Now I'm confused as I've re-read your question and you're on the Plex app. Try going to the web and trying the chromecast from there.
You're confused, what about me ;)

I've got the Plex app running and sending to the Chromecast, but can't add the widget because of 'No Sources'. I feel like I'm missing something.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Unacknowledged posted:

I'm considering getting the in-laws an Amazon Fire TV stick for them to stream remotely from my server. They have a first generation roku now and it just doesn't do remote for more than 10 or 20 seconds at a time after buffering for 2 minutes. Chrome cast is another option, but the Fire TV has such a nice interface, plus a remote for them is a better option.

Anyone try one for this yet? Is it worth doing, or is there a better option?
Yes the Firestick is great. I've had jb'd ATV2's, Chromecasts and Rokus, and am really liking the Firestick.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

kri kri posted:

I would go back to openelec/xbmc but I am too far down the plex rabbit hole, and the chromecast works pretty much flawlessly. I just don't like having to wake my tablet/phone up to pause but whatever.

I started with a couple of ATV2's and XBMC, added an Openelec Pi. Then sold the ATV's and bought a couple of Chromecasts. That is/was so much cleaner, less crashy, and easier. I grabbed a Firestick for $20 when they came out and wish I'd bought 3, so far for me Candide solution.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

havenwaters posted:

While it's just my experience with it, the Plex app for the fire TV is terrible and stutters all the time. No issues with my Chromecast.

Plex on my Firestick has been flawless.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm thinking there might be a hardware issue with some Firesticks.

Some people have no issues, mine drops wireless network in almost every mode(I have a really nice Asus router, the signal is fine), but more importantly the Plex app has enough issues that there's a thread over on the Plex forums specifically trying to find the solution.

I also purchased a non-stick FireTV and it runs Plex 100% awesome over ethernet.
That sounds pretty reasonable - I'm using a stock ATT Uverse router. I have an Asus N16, that this replaced, I'll try firing it up tonight and see if it introduces issues.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

teagone posted:

Some people are just slaves to their remotes. I use a tablet to control pretty much everything.

I do that, then I'm in the middle of some sweet Vainglory battle and my wife want's me to pause the TV show. Spouses, children and parents love remotes.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

trilljester posted:

That's why I bought a Roku 3. The kids and wife can control it easily. Plus, it's really awesome with Plex.
Yup, I bought a couple of the Amazon Firesticks when they came out for $20 each - everyone's happy.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Anyone else having password issues? I got the new iOS app downloaded and it wanted me to login, but it won't take my password. I went to my Plex server, it was logged in, so, I signed out and tried to log back in, and it's not taking the password either. I'm going to try a reset, but am curious if I'm a special snowflake or there are troubles.

edit: Resetting the PW fixed worked. They must have changed the password policy.

porktree fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 10, 2015

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

teagone posted:

No password issues on my end, but the web app has been very slow to load for me today.

I think it was "me" - I had an old 7 char password, and it looks like forcing me to relogin after getting the new app denied the pw. Once I reset to a more secure password, everything worked fine.

Also - PSA - if you haven't updated your server version you'll need to in order for your devices to attach to the library. I always forget about the server tab for the server update since the web update is so prominent when you enter settings.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

They had a breach a while ago I think so everyone has to change their password, but the tokens on things that had authed already remained logged in. Took me ages to realise too.

I remember that now, and thinking to myself "thats to much efffooooort". Hoist by my own petard, as they say in the navy. (I know).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I switched for 2 reasons -

* I had an Apple TV 2 and the lack of jailbreak for ATV3 meant I couldn't use a ton of features that a box that cost half as much as I could sell it for had. Also he XBMC app wasn't the most stable port, and it had issues with a few things.

* Kodi's lack of client/server split was quite annoying and it didn't handle having multiple clients as smoothly (lot of messing about with dbs and the like to get it running, although once setup it was generally fine).
Exactly my reasons. I've been using Plex for 2 plus years with no issues. It's been running on a Win7 box for the whole time. But I'm never watching anything at the box, it's always streamed out to a phone, tablet, or chromecast or firestick.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Ok, a friends got Plex installed on his 64 bit Win7 PC. Its been working fine for at least a year, and he can see and play from my library. Tonight via some fuckery he stopped seeing his library from the PC the Plex server is installed on, further investigation shows that the severr isnt even "showing up" in that in settings there are only sections for web, users and devices. I had him reinstall with the same results. Any idea wtf is going on here?

porktree fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 7, 2015

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Ali Aces posted:

Is he using the Plex Home Theater desktop application, or the Plex app from windows store? If it's the latter, he may need a special loopback exception to allow the app out of its sandbox. I can't seem to locate the article on it on Plex's site but I know there is one, in any case that's the program you need.

I'm about 99% sure he's using the desktop program and not the Plex app. The (amusing to me) thing is, he can see his library from his ipad, locally. Sooooo.

I'm going to go to his home and lay hands on the PC. I'm pretty sure some info is being left out.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Slash posted:

Maybe something to do with that Public/Private network firewall crap that Windows sometimes changes for no apparent reeason.

So, it turns out the server was starting but somehow the Plex thing in the Notification area was trying to open IE, and the server on the loopback address. I started up Chrome, opened Plex on the local IP, and accessed the server. Logged into his Plex account and it was all good. Set the default browser back to Chrome and rebooted (to be sure). It all works now.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Khablam posted:

v4 of the ios app is such poo poo :(
Ya, I'm not caring much for it either - It fails to connect locally about half the time, makes some unusually decisions about what's on deck. Randomly decides to ignore new things, and crashes about 2/5 times in playback.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

BoyBlunder posted:

What addons do you guys run? I recently discovered PlexPy and it's pretty sweet!

Thanks for this, it is cool.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I don't know if you guys saw it, but on the CBS Sunday morning show they did a piece on Col Needham. They were wondering around his home theater thing and he showed told them he had a collection of 11,000 movies - when asked how he watched them he brought up a tablet with Plex.

How can I add my dvd's to Plex :smug: without breaking the copy protection and ripping them of course. I thought it was pretty cool really, but wonder if he exposed a little to much.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I have a Samsung Smart TV with Plex built in. It works great 90% of the time, but when I loose my internet (gently caress you uverse), I can no longer connect to my server - I still have wifi, can see the server on the network, the only thing that can't happen is a connection to the outside.

It really seems like this is a client issue (and the app on the smart tv seems old and unconfigurable), but I thought I'd ask to see anyone knew of a work-around. Also, I can still use my iPad to watch stuff when the internet is down.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Moey posted:

You can specify network segments on the server to allow for "unauthenticated access", so just put your LAN segment in there (probably 192.168.1.0/24 ).

Edit: Go to Settings, Network, Show Advanced then:

Awesome, thanks. The 0/24 is specifying all addresses in the 192.168.1 subnet?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

A little PSA, because it bit me in the rear end, one of Windows 10's security updates from last week (3/15-16) broke Plex. As in the server wouldn't start. It took me far to long to figure this out, removing and rebooting restored functionality.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I *think* it was KB4013429 - I would not bet my house on that information, but otherwise am reasonably sure.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

After updating to the latest server release it's taking about 50-60 seconds for my client (iOS) to connect to the server, and another 50-60 seconds for a stream to start. (Local network). The odd thing is, after I've watched one thing, the next thing doesn't have the same delays. Anyone else, any solutions?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I’ve been using the iOS 11 beta and it has been a rollercoaster. Now that the iOS GM is “out” I feel like I can talk about some issues without the “omg ur on a beta” poo poo. Mainly, is anyone else seeing lots of oos issues? I can play the video in Chrome (on my iPad) with no issues- but the app I get varying degrees of oos-ness.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I just got Tautulli (formerly Plexpy) working and sending email notifications (protip, don't use google, use outlook for smtp). And am liking it, but it looks like it's picking filename from the properties->details->Title which (as far as I know) neither SABNzbd or Sickbeard touches when it renames the file. For example the file starts as:

RARBG.someshow.S02E05.WEBRip.x264.ION10.mkv

And it get's renamed:

Someshow.S02E05.EpisodeName.mkv

But in the properties it remains:

RARBG.someshow.S02E05.WEBRip.x264.ION10.mkv (details and comments)

So Plexpy picks up this info, instead of the new and improved file name. It's a minor annoyance, but I'm a goon soooooo...

Does Sonarr 'fix' this?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

fluppet posted:

Are you sure it's not pulling out of the files meta data rather than the filename

Ya, that's what I said as unclearly as possible. I you look at the properties of the file, in the meta data under details, the title still has the RARBG name. Plex pulls the title from the meta data if it exists.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Ixian posted:

Yeah, they claim you can view data going back as far as 3 years, which is interesting.

And while I am sure there are Tautulli does <x> while Plex Dash does <y> whaa! debates to be raged over I am pretty sure this is gonna kill the former off, yes.

Edit: I updated my server (to view the dashboard you need to use their web app; the one bundled with the server/your local web client isn't updated yet).

Tautulli definitely has more in depth graphs, and a few things - like an easy way to view user sync'd items - that the new dashboard doesn't, however the new dash does cover most of the basics for stats and is a large improvement over the old Now Playing section. And it does indeed go back up to 3 years.

All I really care about is notifications - and I don't see that in the new Plex dashboard.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

All this conversion talk has got me thinking. I have a collection of 350 or so DVD's that I should digitize. What's my best route for doing this one at a time. I'm not concerned about menus or extras as much as just getting them in plexable format. Is AnyDVD still a thing? What's the simplest way to do this?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Makemkv is pushbutton simple. You can then batch process them in handbrake or just transcode on the fly. Mpeg2 is so cheap even my crappy little celeron nuc can do it.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I'm going to set up an assembly line this weekend.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I'm switching to a new "server" for Plex. All my media is on external drives.

As I understand it, all I need to do is install Plex on the new server and then point the TV and Movie etc libraries to the attached drives and Plex will re-index it. I think I loose my played/not played indicators? Is there a way to keep them?

Is there a smarter way to do this? Are there any special settings that I should be remembering that make local play easy. (I'd be just doing this right now but I forgot to turn off the sleep setting and can't remote the server).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

teagone posted:

In-depth guide to follow when moving your Plex install to a new server: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/

Perfect, thanks.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

teagone posted:

In-depth guide to follow when moving your Plex install to a new server: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/

I just want to pop back in and say that this worked insanely well, right down to the half played movies restarting at the right point.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Not until the new thing sends me email alerts. It is nice on checking status from my iPad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I switched my internet over to Tmobile's Home thing, and it's been pretty great (250 down/25 up consistantly). I had AT&T that struggled to get me 18 up. Ping times are comparable and my COD hasn't suffered. (I'm rural until I found the TMo thing AT&T was the only thing I could get - or satellite)

The only thing that's been a hassle is Plex. I was able to port forward and assign static IP's internally before TMo, and AT&T pretty much assigned a static IP, as I never saw the external IP change in the several years I had it.

So, I can't get remote access to work - and TMo doesn't really care. I have been able to make the relay work some of the time.

My question is; would something like OpenDNS or DynDNS be a solution here? Or without port forwarding am I kind of screwed.