Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That's never really happened on my end through several iterations of Roku devices, though if I come across an older encode that doesn't have SRT subs or just no subtitle file in general, Plex's in-built scraper to pull up open sourced SRT subtitle files has worked for me like 99% of the time without issue (sometimes there's a sync issue, but even then, the tvOS Plex app has subtitle timing offsetting now -- don't think Roku has that feature yet, not sure).

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

Plex employed around 100 people?

That seems like too much.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Does anyone here have a Samsung QN90B? If so, how does the Plex app run on it? Can it direct play PGS subtitles? I'm reading newer LG OLED TVs can now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Smart features aren’t something I’d personally use in my criteria for tv selection. I accept they’re there regardless of whether I want them, and use the external box of my choosing that’ll always have better support.

Yes, I'm the OP of this thread, I'm aware of how jank smart tv apps have been, lol. It's not for me. My brother just moved into their newly built home and needs the cleanest/seamless setup possible with no extra boxes/remotes or wires in his living room at the request of his wife, hehe. I was just wondering if the Q90B's Plex app has good performance and compatibility. Lots of people seem to be happy with the LG C2/C3 OLED Plex apps though, and I figure the Q90B is in the same bracket as the LG C series OLED, so I was hoping if any goons who have the same TV could comment.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 10, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If I needed to transcode 4K video to burn in PGS or rear end format subtitles, a Core i3-12100 should be enough to do that even without hardware transcoding, right? Putting together a build for a new Plex server that doesn't have Plex Pass.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I always gotta laugh at people who get annoyed when the users they've willingly added to their Plex server request something. Like, how much effort is it to queue up a download, especially if you have automations in place lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My Plex server has been sitting at 12TB for like the last ~8 years? Maybe more? I haven't had the need for additional storage for some time now, though I only have 2TB free atm. So I dunno, either I janitor some old poo poo that never gets watched or I upgrade eventually. I do have access to Netflix, Paramount+, Hulu, Disney+, AppleTV+, and Prime Video that covers a lot of things. My Plex server is mostly for newer releases.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

I have a 4tb Seedbox. I used to have a 10tb server locally but this is honestly just so much easier for me to deal with. Nobody else in my family will use Plex so it’s just me watching anyway :cry:

Yeah, same, I only have 2 or 3 family members that watch from my own server these days, and when they do it's just more recent stuff that I threw on the server or something they specifically requested (which is a rare occurence). I did set up local Plex servers at my brother's home and a family friend's place that I have remote access to; both of those were 8TB machines that have like 4TB free still.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

Yep, it's all correctly labelled. Correct folders, correctly formatted, I went through it all a few years back and did it up nice. It wouldn't let me match to thetvdb until I set that as the agent, at which point everything matched perfectly first try, no need for me to step in at all. It wasn't just that one episode either, it was literally half the library, most of which is weird or rare ancient british television.

I'll just grumble and gripe and live with this stupid arrow in my dashboard.

What's the file name, I want to see if I can recreate the issue you're experiencing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Windows works for me, and I don't really care what anyone else runs their Plex setup on.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

Watching stuff locally in Firefox, I keep getting little loading circles. They go away after a moment, but you know. Do I need to update something? The video doesn't pause or anything.

You're buffering. Is the server hardwired? Also, is your PC/laptop/whatever you're running firefox on requesting your server to do a video transcode? You can check to see if your server is transcoding when something is playing in the Plex dashboard -- the dashboard is under the 'activity' icon in the top right of th Plex web app.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My Ryzen 3 2200G based Plex server does HW encoding with the iGPU that looks pretty good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I knew hardware transcoding on AMD CPU’s was non existent in the past with Plex, was wondering if that changed at all. Guess not - I believe my current Xeon supports Quicksync so for Plex duties the “upgrade” might actually be a downgrade….

Only Ryzen CPUs that have an integraded GPU are capable of hardware transcoding.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

What sort of people are you inviting into your house??

I was gonna say, lmao. That post made me laugh thinking the average person would know how to do any of that, hehe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

Ended up buying an Apple TV 4k (3rd gen) before reading the OP that said to get a Shield. I don't really care about fancy audio formats because I'm just going to be using headphones via optical out of my tv. Is an ATV4K going to be just fine for me?

Sorry, I haven't updated the OP in years lol. Keep saying I will but I never get around to it :effort: That said, the Apple TV is one of the best Plex clients availble, it should suit you just fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For like the last few years there's always been something added to Plex that seems to put everyone in a state of doom and gloom, but so far none of those "features" have done anything egregious enough to make me abandon the platform. Maybe it'll happen eventually, but I'm again apathetic to this recent bit of news.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 19, 2024

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

10 active users this past week out of the 14 I have my server shared with. One of them graciously donated a 12TB WD Red to my server as a Christmas gift last month.

[edit] Most concurrent streams I've had this month is only 2 though, they all watch at different times fortunately lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 20, 2024

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I like looking at all the metrics/neat graphs that tautulli provides :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I'd run the external drives from the USB3? I thought that was a general no-no when it came to storage. Or have the box empty and run a SATA3 connection into it with the HDD external?

I've also been trying to research DAS prebuilds and they all look fairly expensive. How would I go about building a DAS?

edit: I dunno if this is the best idea. This machine doesnt even have PCI-E for me to go with a DAS build like this and the idea of it running over USB3.0 just sounds sketchy.

I put in the return so hopefully that can go smoothly and I'll start research actual NAS builds instead of whatever the gently caress I was trying to do.

Yeah you're overthinking it. You can just keep the Dell box and throw that 2TB 3.5" you already own into a cheap USB external enclosure and call it a day. My Plex server operated with 4 USB external drives for a good long while before I went all internal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Corb3t posted:

Using old repurposed PC parts and a giant case so you can continue to add HDs to it is the way to go if you’re looking to fill it up with media.

Yeah, +1 to this route as well. My Plex server was a repurposed gaming PC built inside an NZXT Tempest 210 case. It made the transition from gaming PC to full time Plex server around 2013ish; equipped with an 880GM based mainboard, Phenom II X4 840 CPU, 8GB of RAM, 500GB Samsung HDD I think for the OS, and several external USB drives of varrying sizes attached for more storage. I had this setup for about ~5 years? I eventually added some 1TB blues, shucked the externals to connect internally, and around 2018 I replaced the mainboard/cpu/ram with a B450 board/Ryzen 3 2200G/16GB setup, new PSU, and added in an LSI controller card to connect all the HDDs that a goon graciously sent me for only the cost of shipping.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mechanical Fiend posted:

You could always try sending them this link https://mediaclients.wiki/

Or you could just talk to them and help them step by step instead lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

What’s the easiest way to get some YouTube videos for later viewing on my Plex? It doesn’t have to be automated. I tried YT-DL or whatever but I just don’t get command-line stuff. My brain hurts.

I use this to grab YT videos https://jely2002.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ and it's been great. Can work for other links/sites with videos as well, but YMMV.