Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

calandryll posted:

Anyone having issues with new music not being added to their library? Permissions are all the same as the rest of the directories, things like Airsonic recognize it and have added it. So I can't figure out why Plex refuses to add it.

Have you tried manually clicking "Scan Library Files"?

Plex hasn't been auto-adding anything for me lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

deong posted:

What all do i loose when i move a plex library?
I'd like to hit watch history. I can't really think of what else goes away othrewise.

I have recently updated my synology, and it did not go smooth. So since i'm in the middle of the weeds I figure now is a good time to go through and clean out some of my 15 years of organizational fails. So I'm thinking i'll move/rename files to all match one convention.

You can move/rename in place and preserve all that metadata. My original movie folder was a mess a few years ago but using radarr routinely helped me become more disciplined about new stuff, eventually getting to the point of using its built in tools to map and rename everything.

To answer the question, more directly: You specify Library so that means anything Custom. i.e. I add custom Sort Names to some movies like Batman stuff so that they show up in a more preferred way, Posters, Ratings. I can't think of anything else but I'm probably missing something.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Have you tried manually clicking "Scan Library Files"?

Plex hasn't been auto-adding anything for me lately.

Yeah I've done that as well. It added some music I added a few weeks ago but now nothing.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can enable watch history in plex now

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
How can I get this to go away?

Its suppose to be a 4 movie collection, but Plex is separating it into 4 one movie collections.

Can I just list the movies as regular movies? I don't need collections.

e: oh you just select "hide collection", I'm dumb

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 24, 2023

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Fozzy The Bear posted:

How can I get this to go away?

Its suppose to be a 4 movie collection, but Plex is separating it into 4 one movie collections.

Can I just list the movies as regular movies? I don't need collections.

e: oh you just select "hide collection", I'm dumb

Could probably go into movie properties of each and move them all into the same collection

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is there any way to use the Plex android app without signing in? It used to be fine, but now I can't even use it to cast, since you can't close out of the login screen.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It's happening: https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/28/23777418/plex-layoffs-20-percent-staff

Well, something's happening, anyway.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Plex is a venture backed tech startup operating in the year 2023, film at 11

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Startup?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

What else do you call a venture-backed small-to-medium size company that's not yet profitable?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
A failure?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Plex employed around 100 people?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

acksplode posted:

What else do you call a venture-backed small-to-medium size company that's not yet profitable?

Cash Register

quote:

Plex’s ad business has been “significantly impacted”

And there you go. I give them a year.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Qwijib0 posted:

Plex employed around 100 people?

That seems like too much.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Really hope someone creates something to port a plex server over to jellyfin before it collapses. I don't want to have to recreate all my custom video series.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The core product is pretty unlikely to collapse.
What seems to have happened is they've been unable to get advert partners to go alongside their Movies & TV offering, which is the main way they were trying to expand.

If they drop or curtail that direction they'll likely be fine, there's no reason it can't be profitable with a smaller team.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

They're probably going to be like every other company that offered lifetime subscriptions and cut them off from future updates, and move to a monthly subscription for everyone who wants the premium features.

Inept fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 4, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, maybe they'll do that when the fix offline syncing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Khablam posted:

The core product is pretty unlikely to collapse.
What seems to have happened is they've been unable to get advert partners to go alongside their Movies & TV offering, which is the main way they were trying to expand.

If they drop or curtail that direction they'll likely be fine, there's no reason it can't be profitable with a smaller team.

Why even get into the the advert business? The core product is a (local) media player which a good portion or users pay annually to use. Why do you need to launch streaming content? Oh wait, you do that because you want to sell ads so that you can show value.

It's just stupid VC things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Motronic posted:

Yeah, maybe they'll do that when the fix offline syncing.

A few weeks ago I tried the sync again on a day I was flying so had zero expectations it would work and holy crap it actually did and was super fast. No extra compression, iPhone 14. The only thing wrong was it put the wrong show posters on the episodes but I’ll take that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Why even get into the the advert business? The core product is a (local) media player which a good portion or users pay annually to use. Why do you need to launch streaming content? Oh wait, you do that because you want to sell ads so that you can show value.

It's just stupid VC things.

Because relying on a server owner’s unreliable and limited media library is bad for your service as a whole - sure, us server owners are essential for Plex, but I can’t blame them for wanting to offer content to users searching for media, even when the media isn’t available online any of the servers they have access to.

I can’t say I have a problem with it - if my friends want to stream lovely ad-supported media that I’d never add to my server, that’s fine - it uses less of my limited upload bandwidth.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 5, 2023

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
They should turn Plex into a portal that people will use to access FAST services and take a cut of all the the adds watched through them

That's a great match with how traditional pirated media server owners already use Plex: Don't sell them paid stuff, give them free stuff that someone else will pay for

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think they were on the right track with the aggregate services with the discovery feature.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Intel is exiting the PC business, potentially a good time to get one of those AV1 encode/decode Intel NUCs to be used as a Plex server?

edit: Nevermind, I think you'd need an Intel Meteor Lake CPU for av1 decode/encode, which isn't out yet.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 11, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way to have Plex hide the thumbnails and plot descriptions for unwatched TV episodes?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a way to have Plex hide the thumbnails and plot descriptions for unwatched TV episodes?
There's a tautulli script that'll do this for you
https://github.com/blacktwin/JBOPS/blob/master/utility/hide_episode_spoilers.py

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In the release notes on the newest update:

quote:

(Transcoder) Hardware transcoding is now supported for SDR media on AMD GPUs on Linux (#14332)

Definitely interested in this, especially if it ends up opening some low-cost single-slot options.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's good they're giving people with existing AMD hardware some options, but buying any GPU for encoding has been obsolete for years at this point and AMD encoders have been poor until recently, meaning you have a chunky buy-in cost.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khablam posted:

but buying any GPU for encoding has been obsolete for years at this point

Wait, what? My ebay 1060 that I bought for $160 a year ago that has been transcoding for plex, jellyfin and tdarr as a pass trough in my esxi box is obsolete? poo poo....what should I buy next before it just stops transcoding?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Motronic posted:

Wait, what? My ebay 1060 that I bought for $160 a year ago that has been transcoding for plex, jellyfin and tdarr as a pass trough in my esxi box is obsolete? poo poo....what should I buy next before it just stops transcoding?

I think the point is you can just get a recent Intel integrated graphics CPU with Quick Sync Video and it can handle all your transcoding and tonemapping needs. It's not that dGPU's can't transcode, it's that you no longer need one if your GPU workload is just transcoding.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Integrated GPU isn't an option if you're running on Xeon E5s. I haven't tried raw CPU transcoding 4K since I upgraded from E5-2667 V2s to E5-2690 V4s, but two concurrent 4K transcodes made the V2s cry and those are not weak chips.

I'm sure there are plenty of Plex servers out there where adding a GPU is still more cost effective than replacing the system wholesale with one that has an integrated GPU, and I'm all for more options. It'd be great if Intel would actually ship any of the Arc A40 cards they announced last year.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
My Plex runs on unraid with a fairly old i7-8700 with QuickSync and handles everything like a champ. Reckon that socket and chip generation would be ultra cheap now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Plex supports AV1 right? I figure that's relevant if you live in the US hellscape where bandwidth is still so lovely for people, so GPU would be the way to go for that.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Plex supports AV1 right? I figure that's relevant if you live in the US hellscape where bandwidth is still so lovely for people, so GPU would be the way to go for that.

Not very well. Need a hardware decoder to handle more than a stream or two, I'm not sure many of the clients support it either.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Integrated GPU isn't an option if you're running on Xeon E5s. I haven't tried raw CPU transcoding 4K since I upgraded from E5-2667 V2s to E5-2690 V4s, but two concurrent 4K transcodes made the V2s cry and those are not weak chips.

I'm sure there are plenty of Plex servers out there where adding a GPU is still more cost effective than replacing the system wholesale with one that has an integrated GPU, and I'm all for more options. It'd be great if Intel would actually ship any of the Arc A40 cards they announced last year.
Using 10 year old server hardware in this space is like trying to enter a 1950s muscle car into a modern race. Whether it was the best in it's day or not it'll be lapped by cars using less fuel per race than it is per lap.
In this :iiaca: a $20 Intel QSV cpu will transcode 10 4k streams with the power it takes to run your CPU fans

Unless you live in a world where power is free and used hardware has no value, there's no scenario where adding a GPU to a server is a better value ad than just building a $100 server that'll absolutely smoke it whilst using a fraction of the power.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Khablam posted:

Unless you live in a world where power is free and used hardware has no value, there's no scenario where adding a GPU to a server is a better value ad than just building a $100 server that'll absolutely smoke it whilst using a fraction of the power.

I get colocation space for free where I don't have to pay for power or bandwidth, but am limited on how many devices I can put there, and it has to be rackmounted. So my cost optimization is entirely around minimizing cost per drive bay.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to make Plex signal back to Sonarr to unmonitored an episode once it's watched?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Asking this old chestnut again: What is the usual culprit when media fails to add to my Plex server? I tried to add the new season of Clone High and it's just acting like there's nothing there. I've run several 'scan library files', it's recognizing other new stuff no problem, but no joy on the new CH episodes.

Apologies for not really looking around too deeply; I tried searching-in-thread the word 'missing' and went back a few pages of results but couldn't find much among a lot of "what am I missing?" Also tried ""not finding media"" (in quotes like that) and the search took way too long.

For reference my server is running off of a NVidia Shield, with two HDDs in an enclosure holding all of my media. I can't even access the new CH season on the TV that is locally connected to the Shield.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mister Speaker posted:

Asking this old chestnut again: What is the usual culprit when media fails to add to my Plex server? I tried to add the new season of Clone High and it's just acting like there's nothing there. I've run several 'scan library files', it's recognizing other new stuff no problem, but no joy on the new CH episodes.

Apologies for not really looking around too deeply; I tried searching-in-thread the word 'missing' and went back a few pages of results but couldn't find much among a lot of "what am I missing?" Also tried ""not finding media"" (in quotes like that) and the search took way too long.

For reference my server is running off of a NVidia Shield, with two HDDs in an enclosure holding all of my media. I can't even access the new CH season on the TV that is locally connected to the Shield.

Thanks!

Misnamed episode/misidentified tv show. If plex thinks a file matches an existing episode movie, it won't show up as new and just silent add it as an alternate location for the file.

Did you make sure the file actually plays? I believe corrupted files can cause it not to be detected.

Since its a new show, I'm assuming its not in some weird format Plex doesn't recognize.