Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
There's some ytdlp fork that specifically rips YT stuff and formats it with local metadata to show up on Plex as a "tv show", and it's pretty dope. You have to be comfortable messing with config files and stuff, though.

edit: https://github.com/jmbannon/ytdl-sub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

One of my favorite things about r/plex is that any discussion of users on your server quickly devolves into people saying how much they hate their own users and that they ban them if they don't access their account every twenty minutes, or for daring to make requests, or when the admin plays scrabble and gets a triple word score that starts with the same letter as their username.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Yep lmao.

And maybe they're resellers? But it happens in every dang discussion about users on there and it just cracks me up how these people think their lovely webdls are in fact ambrosia, reserved only for those who Don't Wake Daddy.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Motronic posted:

I don't get it. I used to get requests by text or whatever, then I quickly relaized that was annoying and hit up google and found.....I forget which one, Ombi before it was ombi I guess (did that used to be called Plex Requests?). Sent a URL out to people and told them to do it themselves. Problem solved.

Even this cracks me up a little. Like drat dude, were your users really that demanding before? I set up Ombi as well but only because I know at least two people who are sort of shy and hate asking for things, and they really prefer being able to do it themselves. Others like to reach out and request something directly, it's a great excuse to chat and catch up (time permitting, yadda yadda).

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

I have four 8MB tape drives in a RAID array fed into commodore seedbox that i talk to over the world wide web via NETBEUI it ain't much and it doesn't work

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Hi,

Who do I kill about the UI/UX for tdarr?

Thanks in advance.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

I'm realizing tdarr sucks because it exists at an unlikely intersection of users and use cases.

To use it properly you need a good understanding of

1. Your playback client
2. Your users' playback clients
3. Possible future playback clients
4. General hardware, software, and networking/sysadmin (if you're setting up server/nodes for tdarr)
5. Video codecs
6. Audio codecs
7. Plex's transcoding quirks
8. Subtitle functionality
9. The overall state of your media library (aka what formats do you already have, how consistent--or not--is it, etc
10. The fact that you might destroy everything your family and friends like to watch
11. Comfortably able to navigate simple scripting languages

And if you know all that stuff already, you probably don't *need* a fancy frontend to automate something you could do for yourself with much less mental load than trying to reason about someone else's dogshit impression of a user experience.

People give poo poo to Apple for not allowing the user to customize the experience, but holy gently caress tdarr is what the world looks like when you give your users every opportunity to blow their foot off, hidden behind the worst UI this side of zbrush

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 13, 2023

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

If you’re already within the Apple ecosystem, then the ATV is a no-brainer.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Just wanted to pop back in and say that plex owns and I'll be really sad when the company fully shits the bed and we're forced to beg emby or jellyfin to stop being so rear end

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

If you don’t want Plex to track your usage simply sit down on your couch and yell AM I BEING DETAINED before you watch anything and then legally they can’t track anything

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Avoiding bullshit advertisements is literally the only reason I got an ATV and I don't regret it in the slightest. I really dislike hostile ad-centric devices in every aspect of my life and it's hard to imagine buying an amazon or roku thing ever again.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I don't understand the Roku hate. Advertisements? It takes about 3 button clicks to enter the Plex app, and from there I never see any ads?

What am I missing?

It's just a matter of time before they introduce ad prerolls and further poo poo up the homescreen with invasive garbage that you can't dismiss until you drink a verification can.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Also a youtube premium subscription is worth it at full price and then some. Between youtube and plex no one in my family ever sees any advertisements and never has to think about their existence, which owns.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Ask a mortician
Every frame a painting
Contrapoints
Forgotten weapons
Action button
DP/30
Folding ideas
Soft white underbelly

YouTube is full of dope stuff 🤷🏻‍♀️

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

weird vibes in here

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

A recent Samsung we bought at work pops the smart EULA every time you turn it on until you accept and connect to a network, which feels like the future we're heading towards.

I'd buy a gun just to take this tv out back and shoot it

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

pwn

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

docker is goofy as gently caress

Basically a hard enforcement of “it works on my machine, so you’re gonna have to replicate the state of my machine to make this single app work.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

docker sucks and if you disagree then put ur dumb opinions into a container full of people who care

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

It isn’t a huge deal but it does get annoying when stuff is made or distributed with assumptions like that

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Motronic posted:

You can add multiple drives/multiple folders to each of your Plex libraries.

Wow, I've run plex for almost a decade (using HDD pools) and the UI does NOT make this clear in the slightest.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Every so often I look at my ip table and wonder what the gently caress a connected device might be.

better believe I’m googling those MAC addresses and then going around my house and hunting down whatever thing it is

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

https://www.lowpass.cc/p/plex-store-movies-tv-shows-tvod-vod

Knew this was coming since they started putting the lifetime pass on perpetual sale. They're gearing up for a major pivot. :smith:

It was fun while it lasted.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Do either emby or jellyfin have a Watch Together feature like Plex? That’s probably the most important feature for my immediate family.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Motronic posted:

It's called "SyncPlay" on Jellyfin. Dunno about Emby.

Seems like to be abandoned. :smith:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

I'm really resisting moving away from Plex even though it's increasingly time to at least start preparing.

But I loving HATE dealing with the dipshit morons with god complexes that run open source projects. You don't have to be a douche to eveyone, dude. You don't have to.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

I use my server name at the beginning of every library name to avoid that exact problem.

Junipero-Movies
Junipero-TV

etc

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Chillmatic posted:

One of my favorite things about r/plex is that any discussion of users on your server quickly devolves into people saying how much they hate their own users and that they ban them if they don't access their account every twenty minutes, or for daring to make requests, or when the admin plays scrabble and gets a triple word score that starts with the same letter as their username.

Just bumping this discussion because lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/19bt4ny/what_would_you_guys_do_friends_kid_plays_same/

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

I want to know the movies that kid watched 200 times.

Kids just be doin' that. :shrug: My daughter loves Coraline and wants to watch it constantly.

Motronic posted:

Do you think it's for the attention on Reddit or are these people really that miserable and creepy?

I have no idea! It just makes me laugh because if I was that seriously annoyed with the behavior of fellow human beings I'd just never allow them to use any of my stuff. Maybe it's just for attention? Either way people like that reddit OP baffle me.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I only skimmed but it sounded to me like the op was just asking what he could do to stop having his bandwidth go toward streaming 2 4k movies all day every day?

I actually really hate being snarky about technical know-how, because everyone starts somewhere--but if that's the case then I'm baffled as to how the OP managed to get a plex server up and running stably enough for a kid to beat the gently caress out of it every single day, and somehow still doesn't know how to gracefully solve a problem like that.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

gariig posted:

Plex just raised 40 million

quote:

“Plex has transformed itself from a software platform used by consumers for organizing their home media“

lol

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Always love being called a Cassandra, classic.

The concern is less so about funding and more so this kind of thing:

quote:

As a result of Plex’s ability to track users’ media discovery behavior and consumption across platforms and services, the company has a unique perspective from a data standpoint. That will be the focus of its future business initiatives, too.

“One of the things we’ve already started to prove in 2023 is that we can absolutely monetize some of that data…in a very privacy-friendly way.

I don't know what to tell people who can read that and still not understand the writing on the wall. Who knows when the breaking point will happen for the average user; but it's naïve to pretend it's not on the way.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Hi, and welcome back to the Plex Edition of the Neckbeard Culture Minute!

What is it about home media streaming that turns people into the most passive aggressive 'lords in the universe? The world may never know.

My favorite part of this is the snark about quality being law, followed immediately by misunderstanding the difference between resolution and bitrate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Trash Guides.

Like I appreciate the work that went into making them, but jeez louise.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

deong posted:

My brothers kid is watching the PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie for the 10th time this month. How do I set limits to the number of times a single ip can view a movie.
thanks in advanced

Just break into their house and smash their TV. Honestly they deserve it for using the service you offered to share with them.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

If you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair, then just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Another month, another *arr app whomst's developers I want to stake in the chest like the loving time vampires they are

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Speaking of ytdlp--is there a way to both use sponsorblock as well as getting subtitles for youtube videos? When I've tried this in the past the portions of the video that sponsorblock removes causes issues with subtitles being off.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

I must be the only person that loathes containers.

Chillmatic posted:

docker is basically a hard enforcement of “it works on my machine :smug: so you’re gonna have to replicate the state of my machine to make this single app work."

Chillmatic posted:

docker sucks and if you disagree then put ur dumb opinions into a container full of people who care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Maybe it's ok if people joke around and let off steam in a thread that's not exactly busy.