Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I really wish there was a plugin that created 5-7 "channels" of randomly playing content. Sometimes I want to watch a random episode and I don't want to choose.

Maybe someone will port the PseudoTV plugin from XBMC. Doesn't Plex have playlists you could randomize or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Filebot and The Renamer are both good, the latter has a terrible custom UI but once you figure it out its probably the most accurate I've found.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I've been using Plex for a while, usually either with an iPad or a Roku 3 (I have no complaints about the interface, who gives a poo poo? I mostly use my Android phone and play to Roku anyway). Plex is currently running on my really overpowered desktop and works beautifully, except when I try to use the Windows Plex client connected to the PMS on the same computer. When I connect to the server (manually my specifying localhost) it is constantly buffering. I don't understand how it could possibly be having trouble with buffering without even going over the network. Am I doing something wrong? It is definitely not a cpu power problem, as it is a very overlocked i5-2500k.

I had the same problem, the web player/client thing is just really loving awful. It was buffering and stuttering over my gigabit network. I played with settings for awhile and just gave up, my transcoding machine was more than up to the task so its just something weird in their player. I ended up really unhappy both with the Roku interface and the web player so I finally said gently caress it and went back to XBMC.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

I'm able to play through the web player on every other PC on my network, wired or through WiFi, without issue. It's just the actual Plex Server where it runs like rear end. Were you getting stuttering playback on your Roku?

Not on the Roku, the interface was just really mediocre and felt slow there. I was only getting it on the web player and I tried all 4 PCs on the network.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man the Plex app on Roku really sucks. My girlfriend has a Roku 3, we installed the Plex app and threw in my server info. I only have a 2mbit upstream at home but she watches stuff via Plex on her tablet with no issues and fast loads (2-3 seconds). The Roku plex app is hot garbage, laid out like poo poo and videos take 1-2 minutes to load. I tried giving it the lower profiles even but same story. When the video does start it will randomly skip around after awhile too. Transcoding shouldn't be an issue because my server is pretty powerful, is it buffering half of the damned file before it starts or something?

At this point I'm ready to return this thing and get a FireTV but I'm worried I'll have the same issue there. Where should I start on troubleshooting? Her tablet plays stuff from my server with no issue, very fast loads and no buffering.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

From what I understand, he's trying to access his Plex server remotely at another location (his girlfriend's place). There's more variables involved, such as internet speed on both ends, server specifications, and some other stuff that I'm probably not aware of that would be causing remote playback to have issues.

Yep exactly. The server is an i3 with plenty of power and my connection is only 2mbit upstream but it works just fine with her Nexus 10 tablet using the Plex app. The Roku app takes forever (as long as 3-4 minutes) to even load a video. I'm going to try rarflix instead (thanks cheese). I just don't understand why it streams fine to her tablet in perfect quality with 1-2 second initial loads but is barely usable on her Roku. Oh well I will mess with the settings and logs next time I'm over, I was just hoping someone else had attempted to share their Plex server with friends or family who had a Roku.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 17, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lifetime passes have never worked out well for me, every single has seen a company either go bust a few years later or the product just tails off slowly. I think the only one I can recall that has worked out for anyone else was the TiVo. None of the Plex Pass features scream "go sub now!" to me either.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think they just mean it won't support playback from USB sticks or anything locally stored on the console.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

trilljester posted:

Have any of you Roku users tried RARFlix? Is it better than the official or test Plex channel?

It's better in terms of sorting features mainly which makes a big difference if you have a large collection. The official Plex channel on the Roku is awful for browsing large libraries.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Whats the current best non-pc solution for a Plex client device I can plug directly into my TV?

I want something cheapish, that wont stutter on media and that will Just Work.

Roku Stick, FireTV Stick or if you want to pony up a bit more money then the actual boxes themselves.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Cancelled my plex pass and uninstalled everything in favour of Emby last night. I've had nothing but issues streaming remotely with Plex and even locally to my devices over a 1000mbit wired network still have issues.

Emby works seamlessly. I'm streaming 30mbit to my nexus players wirelessly without a stumble.

Plex has worked fine for me but I really like the way Emby integrates into Kodi clients natively with the library editing. No more losing watched tags or etc when I forget to back up the kodi clients. So far its been pretty smooth with Emby although the transcoding seems to use more CPU than Plex but I haven't tinkered with the settings yet. I am really impressed with the sheer amount of features included with Emby, particularly on the administration side of things. They give you pretty much everything and more that the overpriced plex pass included.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Can you mobile sync to iOS yet?

I think its just Android right now, thats all I can vouch for. It might be in one of the beta releases but I just started messing with this on the weekend so /shrug.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fruit Chewy posted:

Anyone else here worked with Plex/sabnzbd/etc on a VPS or cheap dedi? I personally like this solution solely because it lets my Usenet downloads fly at like 30 MB/s or whatever whereas my home connection is only like 15mbit. I had this setup working pretty well on ramnode, but the storage space is obviously pretty lacking on any reasonably priced tier. I tried moving to a kimsufi dedicated server, but the peering blows for me and the low end boxes can't handle Plex transcoding.

Is it worth trying to pursue this configuration? Any tips? Or should I just suck it up and shove another 2TB HD in my desktop and use that as my Plex server with my PS4/WiiU reprising their role as clients.

Your best bet for this is to build something and co-locate it. Or just upgrade that desktop and do it yourself (or co-locate that!). There is no profit in hosting providers for that, its both bandwidth and CPU intensive. One or the other is how they make their bones.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Roundboy posted:

Any word on when the new roku stuff is going in or is that ui refresh still Plex pass preview only?

Nope, it's been 6 months though so one would hope soon.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

The folders are all correct, but how they want the episodes named is not. And I am not going through and renaming all that crap. Ugh. Thanks anyway.

You're going to run into this problem with any library based playback software then, your alternative is filename based playback instead. I suggest you use Filebot or TheRenamer to name them properly instead of whatever scrambled silliness they came from (torrents or whatever). I'd also look into getting properly named files on output from your clients but that goes beyond the scope of this.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haha, of COURSE my Plex Pass runs out literally a few days before I need it for the last time in the next couple of months. I thought the prices were going up? Still came to £21 (~$30) for the year, and £60 ($100~) for lifetime. Given this is my second year subscribe I'd probably have been better off just going for lifetime the first time around, can't really justify it right now. Probably should've just done the monthly option for now, but eh.

It shows $149.99 USD lifetime for me. $100 I would consider but $149 is ehhh, I don't use mobile sync or etc enough to bother. I've moved over to Emby but still have a few friends who use Plex to watch my stuff.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ludwig van Halen posted:

As far as I know, some of the apps require Plex Pass while they're new or "in beta". The Playstation app is one of these. Not sure about the Roku or Fire TV apps though, but I think the Xbox app was recently made free.

I tried the Plex app last night on an Xbox One and it still said its in preview unfortunately.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Plex for Xbox One and PS4 is now open for non-Pass holders. The app itself is also free which is cool.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried them out (the 8010s linked above), their throughput is alright but still far less than half of what they advertise. Tested in a new house, adjacent rooms, etc. The adapters themselves were bulky too and the units needed a few reboots over the course of a week for no real reason. The latency is better than wireless which is great if you just need a decent ping for gaming. I topped out at like 10MB/s which is fine for most peoples needs but I was beating it with 5ghz wireless over 3 floors. I ended up doing a run with cat5 which cost less than the adapters and took about an hour but I understand not everyone has that option.

They're not bad but I wouldn't really say they're good either, just adequate. Fine for most video streaming needs though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just use a DDNS service like dnsexit or something to take care of the static IP issue. In terms of the double nat/port bullshit, what open ports do they allow? You can change the Plex server port to be whatever you want. They can't disallow everything, I know those condo places have some weird poo poo going on but someone there is running a web server, needs to VPN or something.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's more involved but people have successfully bridged the Quantum gateways and kept VOD/etc working. You can google it up and see if its something you're interested in. Getting Plex working with double NAT is a pain. If it was me I would take the short term annoyance of doing the bridge stuff because you do it once and then your setup is good for most purposes instead of continually running into issues. Anyways good luck with whatever you decide.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's almost like everyones setup is unique and tailored to their situation. What a silly loving argument.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Just out of curiosity, what problems did you have with Plex on a first gen FireTV? Just got mine set up but it seems okay, other than the occasional stutter which I attributed to wifi.

Yeah I had this problem once in awhile with Plex and the Fire TV. The original Plex app for the FireTV is kind of terrible. There's an updated one for FireOS 5 now that is much better but the rollout is being staggered so not all first gen devices have it yet.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
My server costs me about $1.50-2.50 per month to operate depending on time of use charges, it runs 24/7. i3, 5xHDD, etc. It just basically runs Plex, nzbget and Sonarr.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it still scanning? The initial scan takes awhile. Respect scene naming conventions for your media. Don't dump your stuff into one big folder if you're doing that, have separate folders for TV and movies. I've always used Name (Year) and never had an issue with scraping on anything. Make sure your seasons are nested properly under the show directory.

How to name/organize stuff on Plex.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

snuff posted:

I'm not dumping it all in one folder, it's pretty well managed and the fact that kodi has never had any issues scraping and Plex fails has already soured me a bit. Don't really want to rename all my current and future media to very specific Plex naming schemes. Are there other ways to scrape media with Plex?

The Plex naming stuff is pretty much the same as Kodi. It sounds like its not seeing the files or something. I would check the log files and find out what is going on. If all of your files follow the same convention then there shouldn't be a problem.

Where is your media stored? On a NAS?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only time I've seen that happen is a damaged drive. Grab any other USB drive, put some files on it and see if the same issue persists.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's an Android box, they don't do everything Windows does natively. You can buy a cheap NAS enclosure, a real NAS or just return it I guess. My router has USB ports for mounting an external as network attached storage but no idea if thats possible for you. For what its worth I think its pretty great once you get it setup with a NAS but I guess to each his own. Anyways mystery solved.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Built in Plex apps are usually garbage though.

The interface is alright for small collections but really sucks for anything moderate or larger. I find Kodi with the PlexKodiConnect addon is the best of both worlds. It gives me access to a large number of views with a ton of customization. In the regular Plex apps for Android TV or Roku I spend too much time trying to find things or get to specific content.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

suddenlyissoon posted:

Seems Plex is going to the cloud with Amazon. I signed up for an invite but I'm really, really interested in seeing how they handle encryption to prevent Amazon from seeing your MKV's. https://www.plex.tv/cloud/

That would be pretty aces if I could still share my library with multiple people and use Amazon's servers for the transcoding/bandwidth.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

Music doesn't have TV and Movie associations being gigantic arseholes about everything.

The music industry has the worst one of them all. Also most of the labels themselves are giant rear end in a top hat factories.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was just pointing out that Music does indeed have an rear end in a top hat association behind it much like TV/Film. IMO they are the worst when you look at their total history of loving over artists and consumers but arguing over which is the worst smelling poo poo heap doesn't sound like fun.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

Crossposting from XBMC thread because it's about Plex too.

Anyone using the PlexBMC addon? I tried using this guide http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-and-plex-integration-with-plexbmc-addon/, but when it tried to connect to my server it says unable to connect or something and that the addon has an error and that I should see the log. When it says put in your Plex account and password information, it means my account info that I would use on the plex.tv site? I think I tried with and without to no avail.

I never had much luck getting plexbmc working well and went with PlexKodiConnect instead. The setup is slightly more involved but performance is good and I've had no real issues.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know why that guy would drop $500+ on a NAS then another $500 on a router instead of just buying the server but whatever. Power is like $0.18/kWh here during peak hours but the convenience is worth the small bump to my bill. I tried over-complicating everything with WOL and smart strips but it was such a fuckin hassle and never worked quite right.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is the show name the same or similar as some older show? I suggest Show Name (Year) for these cases, it always seems to fix it for me. Or for that single file, rename it S30x01.ext and see if Plex figures it out then.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cornjob posted:

Which platform ?

The web interface. Patchnotes from Reddit, I don't use their forums. Loads much faster, has more views and other nice additions. Much better now IMO.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

porktree posted:

A little PSA, because it bit me in the rear end, one of Windows 10's security updates from last week (3/15-16) broke Plex. As in the server wouldn't start. It took me far to long to figure this out, removing and rebooting restored functionality.

Thanks for posting this. My server went into boot loops because every time Plex would start it would hard lock the whole system. The update itself had an issue with my network card driver and the mpeg2 Plex thing so I spent a good chunk of last night getting rid of that update and manually installing the newer cumulative. The new lack of update testing with Windows 10 is so wonderful :rolleyes:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I couldn't live without the Harmony but I have a ton of devices on every set. If you just have a few things and by some miracle CEC isn't finicky as hell on your setup then I'm sure its just an extra expense. To me its worth it to be able to have custom commands and stuff like that - a button to toggle subs, aspect ratio, etc. I only pick them up on sale though and I don't bother with the fancy screen based remotes, I just have the hub.

Also I did a bias lighting setup and it has an IR receiver so I'm able to use the Harmony to make kickin rad lightshows for the 2 times a year we entertain guests.

Roku TV seems to making major inroads, I saw it advertised on like half of the sets at the store the other day.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I get what you're saying but I just address that stuff in configuration and it never comes back. If you're doing weird things with CEC, ARC and etc then /shrug, I guess my setup is just more straight forward.

Devices staying on between activities is likely CEC (go through each device and turn it off) or you've left that weird power on setting in the Harmony config for those devices (this device stays ON when activity turns off). It shouldn't just randomly fire commands to turn on 2 devices in your setup, there is a reason.

Also the PS3 specifically had a bunch of weird problems turning itself on over the years but I moved onto the PS4 so I can't remember how I fixed it.

Or just use CEC if that works I guess. CEC has always been way more finicky for me than any other option but if its more refined these days then fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

I have a Harmony One, it has a screen, and I don't get all this Harmony admiration, but maybe if I had a receiver and still used player devices on other inputs I'd like it more.

I wouldn't bother with one if I didn't have a receiver, just not worth it. We have receivers on both of our sets so it made sense, particularly for me in the man cave where I have umpteen video game devices hooked up.

Also I've never liked the Harmony remotes that have a screen but they do let you setup more custom commands which I guess is cool if you need a ton of buttons/commands.

I took a look at the Logitech Harmony page and see they're still doing device based limits on the remotes too, very lame.