Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Anybody else having issues with light banding in the last few releases of PMS? Last night I tried to upgrade from Version 1.32.5.7349 to the latest public release since it seemed like they were messing around with hardware transcoding on Linux/GeminiLake and that's what I use. But when I transcode something I get messed up light artifacts:

Banding on 1.32.8.7639:

After rolling back to 1.32.5.7349:

Even on 1.32.8 if I play it at full 1080 quality (which I can't do remotely without buffering) the banding is gone, it's just there when I transcode down to a lower resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Documentaries, particularly British ones for some reason, are an unholy nightmare.

I dunno, they must have been pretty loving good to get 1982 seasons, even taking into account BBC's lower episode count/season :stare:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

NOW THE loving HELL - Read if you want to wince along.

*anime has entered the chat*

Now imagine if all your shows where just numbered 1 > infinity instead of by season, and they all had a bunch of specials and movies that chronologically fit into the main plot but still get grouped off into the Specials folder so you need to replace the Series Summary text with a watch order cheatsheet :negative:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Stereo gang rise up.

You only have 2 ears! Dumb audiophiles :rolleyes:

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can’t tell the difference between a good MP3 or FLAC, so I’ve decided I don’t care a huge amount about what my ATV kicks out.

A modern 192 MP3 is indistinguishable from lossless for 99.99% of people. I just blindly get everything at 320 now and call it good.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

*Somebody speaks in a foreign language for 2 seconds*
Me: Should I know what he's saying? There's no subtitle....
...a minute goes by and there is very much a conversation going on I should understand...
Me: GODDAMMIT

Extra fun when you're watching something artsy fartsy enough that they have intentionally unsubbed foreign dialogue because you're supposed to get the gist of what they're saying by using your ~fEeLiNgS~ Andor :argh:

Corb3t posted:

Bazarr is another great Plex companion app to have running on your server. You can link up an OpenSubtitles and Subscene account to automatically pull down subtitles as they get added to your library.

I see from the UI banner on the page there's a toggle for Forced, I assume I can filter by this and only grab Forced subs? I don't usually like watching with subs except for non-English.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Dudes rock

Might want to keep reading, he basically enslaved his entire family to build his audio shrine and disinherited his oldest son when he wouldn't let him listen to it and finally got told to gently caress off.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slash posted:

Gave this a try and no dice. Trying to pause and skip back 10 seconds has no effect, it just jumps back to the current time. Any form of skipping, whether paused or not has no effect.

Any correlation between the problem files and transcoding? If working files are direct play and these files are being transcoded, depending on your settings you might be overwriting the transcoded files too quickly to have a history to rewind back to.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

It was me. I finally, after 8 years of use, bought a lifetime pass on Black Friday so of course now they poo poo the bed.

:smith::hf::smith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

Plexamp is dope but deemix finally stopped working so I gotta get more familiar with band camp

Still chugging along for me, though I found I can't queue multiple downloads or I get locked out of the website for a while. Grabbing one thing at a time still seems to work fine.

cruft posted:

No, we're just wringing our hands at this point, because we don't have anything better to do.

Do you like malware? If so, keep skipping updates.

I'm trapped on an old version because newer releases force i965 and that gives me light banding on transcodes :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oysters Autobio posted:

Looking to buy a dedicated PC as a media server, but I'm a bit lazy so I would preferably want to find a used sff pre-build (like an optiplex or hp elitedesk).

One thing to keep in mind if you're planning for lots of transcoding is RAM capacity, if you would also want to use a ramdisk. A ramdisk is when you mount a portion of your RAM as if it were a regular hard drive, which would be pretty useless for regular file storage but for temporary stuff like transcode files it's ideal. RAM is much faster than spinning hard drives and transcoding to it saves a ton of read/writes on your storage disks.

From what I've read you should expect to use around the filesize of each movie you transcode i.e. a 10GB movie requires another 10GB of space to transcode, so depending on the number of simultaneous transcodes you expect to see you could benefit from more than 16GB.

Flowing Thot posted:

Watching subbed 240i real player format copies of DBZ I got off Kazaa blew my mind as a teenager as I saw stuff that wouldn’t air on Toonami for a long time and had no censorship.

They were the worst quality you could imagine.

Literally did this in my college dorm in '99 or 2000 or so. Seeing blood in the Freeza fight was wild :goku:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gariig posted:

Plex just raised 40 million

Nearing profitability :woop:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Now that I'm dumping stuff on with Debrid, organizing is the one thing Plex isn't doing with my media .

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like you have everything on a single PC, but something to keep in mind is different OS's/file systems have different ways of reporting 'hey something changed' to Plex. All of my stuff is in a NAS, and that won't ping Plex in realtime when files are added so I either have to manually scan or wait until a scheduled scan kicks off to see them in the library.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

So now having suffered catastrophic data loss do you guys use any cloud backup solutions? Or in-house backup solutions? I lost two drives at once in the same machine so I think any backup would ideally be on a separate machine somewhere else in the house.

I think I may have lost my MP3 collection which kinda sucks since I had some rips of my friends' bands' CDs from the 2000s that I won't be able to find again

To avoid data loss employee the 3-2-1 System: 3 copies of your data, 2 local, 1 off site. For something (probably) relatively small like MP3s B2 Backblaze should only run you a few bux a month. I've got a pretty extensive music collection, a lot of it in FLAC, and it's still "just" over 2.5 TB. I've got 6.5 TB total with them for $1.28/day. And yeah the key was not trying to back up everything, just the stuff that is personal to you or that is actually rare.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

What's the best way, short of mkvmerge, to join together multiple episode files in Plex? The output of the Ren and Stimpy DVDs comes out to something like this:
code:
s01e01p01 - Intro.mkv
s01e01p02 - Log.mkv
s01e01p03 - Stimpy's Big Day.mkv
s01e02p01 - Stimpy's Breakfast Tips.mkv
s01e02p02 - The Big Shot.mkv
s01e02p03 - Say Goodbye (Gritty Kitty).mkv
Obviously I did the file names, before they were just title_01.mkv or whatever. I know the pXX isn't standard, but it seems that the way they want it is "s01e01 - Stimpy's Big Day (part1).mkv", but I'd like to indicate which video file is what. I tried a .plexmatch file, but it is showing a random file as the episode when I play it there.

Non-working .plexmatch file:
code:
ep: 01: s01e01p01 - Intro.mkv
ep: 01: s01e01p02 - Log.mkv
ep: 01: s01e01p03 - Stimpy's Big Day.mkv
ep: 01: s01e02p01 - Stimpy's Breakfast Tips.mkv
ep: 02: s01e02p02 - The Big Shot.mkv
ep: 02: s01e02p03 - Say Goodbye (Gritty Kitty).mkv

Recently had to do something similar with one of the Star Wars CGI shows, keep them all the same sXeX and just append - partx to each file:
code:
S03E01 Steps Into Shadow Bluray-720p - part1.mkv
S03E01 Steps Into Shadow Bluray-720p - part2.mkv
So try something like:
code:
s01e01 Intro - part1.mkv
s01e01 Log - part2.mkv
s01e01 Stimpy's Big Day - part3.mkv
s01e02 Stimpy's Breakfast Tips - part1.mkv
s01e02 The Big Shot - part2.mkv
s01e02 Say Goodbye (Gritty Kitty) - part3.mkv
If that doesn't work you may have to keep all the episode titles the same as well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

It’s important to mention that they check, and then double check that they haven’t shot themselves in the foot via running the app(s) on a storage volume using the ZFS-alike and aren’t using checksum checking for the specific share as both will tank your performance. Ask me how I know.

When I was configuring Debrid I spent a good evening trying to get Plex to see the new files, before in desperation mounting them in /mnt next to my local library. Started working instantly :negative: I haven't got around to researching it yet, but is there some Linux thing that cares where files are mounted that it would only work in /mnt rather than a random directory in /home ?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

I would presume that the “user” that Plex is running as wouldn’t have permission to your home directory, as that’s just for you and the root user. Doing it in a more neutral location would help alleviate that issue.

So, “permissions issue”.

I went down a pretty deep rabbit hole of permissions tweaking trying to fix it, to changing directory ownership to plex:plex to adding the users to common groups to just setting everything to 777. It was probably still a permission issue, because it always is, but even my usual tricks didn't work until things were in /mnt :shrug:

That YAMS thing looks like it would be a pretty good time to throw at a miniPC then add the arr that syncs settings over from Trash Guides. All my arr's are in FreeBSD jails but those can be a headache to keep up to date.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Current Features
Bonarr is not functional at this time

They have a pill for this now.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

I continue the post to say with the invention and more prevelant use of NVME drives (which the newegg sale has), you don't really need to make Ramdisks anymore :shrug:

In other words 16GB is fine for transcoding

The other benefit I've read about for ramdisks besides speed is that it saves read/writes on your data drives. I know older SSDs would 'wear out' eventually, is this not as much of an issue with NVME?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Is the 87.115 IP your VPN or something?

Go to https://portchecker.co/ and enter in the 87.115 IP and port 18117. Is it open or closed?

The fact that its only streaming SD is odd. Have you just tired rebooting the router?

Isn't that how it works, if the server isn't accessible you can still stream through Plex itself but it knocks everything down to SD? Swear I read that somewhere.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

Lots of YouTube channels are in tvdb/sonarr might be worth checking out.

I was amused to see Sonarr/Plex recognize Car Boys as a 'real show' and import it accordingly.

Anyone else noticing a new category in their music libraries below Similar Artists called Sonically Similar Artists? Based on the name I'm assuming it's trying to group artists by comparing spectrograms or something, actually a neat idea if it's at all accurate.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 29, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chillmatic posted:

That’s the best Meshuggah album and I’ll hear no argument otherwise. :colbert:

:yeah: I go through my music library and whenever I find an artist with a default portrait I replace it with the cover of my favorite album of theirs :rock:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

The ultra nerds get mad about multi channel audio, they haven’t embraced the stereo life.

Pfft audiophiles. You only have two ears :rolleyes:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't use PlexAmp that often, though probably only because I'm usually in front of the web portal and can play music that way, but every one in a while I'll mess around with the Custom/Similar Radio maker or the thing where you pick 2 songs and it tries to build a playlist that links them together using sonically similar songs and yeah it's pretty neat.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Is it Plex jankiness, or something on my end that explains why the videos aren't showing up with this album in Plex under the music category?

code:
% ls -1
01 - Enterlude.flac
02 - Human.flac
04 - This Is Your Life.flac
05 - Somebody Told Me.flac
06 - For Reason Unknown.flac
07 - The World We Live In.flac
08 - Joyride.flac
09 - I Can't Stay.flac
10 - Bling (Confessions Of A King).flac
11 - Shadowplay.flac
12 - Smile Like You Mean It.flac
13 - Losing Touch.flac
14 - Spaceman.flac
15 - A Dustland Fairytale.flac
16 - Sam's Town (Acoustic).flac
17 - Read My Mind.flac
19 - Mr Brightside.flac
20 - All These Things That I've Done.flac
22 - Sweet Talk.flac
23 - This River Is Wild.flac
24 - Bones.flac
25 - Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine.flac
26 - When You Were Young.flac
28 - Exitlude.flac
Behind The Scenes-behindthescenes.mkv
Bonus Performances-concert.mkv
Fan's Eye View-behindthescenes.mkv
Live at The Royal Albert Hall.mkv
This is a rip from my wife's bluray. I saw some posts from a few years back saying that a folder won't update if it's only FLAC files, but that can't be true, can it? ...can it?

I rarely have videos stuck in my music library, but all the ones I do have are using '-video' as the tag at the end of the filename:

quote:

01 - Now And Then - The Last Beatles Song-video.mp4
01 - Now And Then.flac
02 - Love Me Do (2023 Mix).flac

And it shows up at the bottom of the album list as a music video:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wayne Knight posted:

I will watch this.

:same:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pretty good! Like others have said it sounds a bit rushed, but that's a common issue for non-pro talkers. It sounds normal to you when you're talking because you already know what you're about to say, but to people hearing it for the first time it's slightly fast. You'll have to work on forcing yourself to slow down a hair, which will feel slow to you but sound normal to everyone else.

I figured it would be a lot of mirroring existing playlislts by ripping them down with ytdlp, and the idea of recreating 80s/90s Beavis and Butthead-era MTV remains intriguing. I've never looked, but archive.org might be a decent resource for old videos? Anything from archive.org can be easily torrented or wget'ed. Like this list of 100+ 80s videos.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Look at what you've made me spend my afternoon doing El Bromance. Now I'm downloading old commercials from archive.org to use as padding.

oh poo poo, I just recently grabbed the complete Looney Tunes library from archive.org, and I'm looking at another collection right now with stuff like Flip the Frog and Popeye, I could easily make a 24/7 classic cartoons channel right now :negative:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

edit: just took a punt and tried the plex windows app and it works perfectly on the gaming rig. The resolution is exactly as it should be. So that narrows it down to something being up with the chrome webapp?

Hey you may have just inadvertently helped me with a longstanding issue I've been having with watching stuff remotely. I've been struggling to get things to play smoothly with transcoding through the browser for months, I didn't know there was a desktop app for Linux. I'm watching an episode of anime right now with rear end subs that used to absolutely thrash my server's CPU trying to transcode it but it's happily direct playing it smooth as butter right now through the desktop snap app :yeah:

Maybe this whole time I've just been getting tripped up on the cursed forest of code that is each different browser's web video APIs...

priznat posted:

I need to setup a channel that plays true crime murder shows mixed with episodes of unsolved mysteries and then I can probably unsubscribe from Netflix because that’s all my wife uses it for.

My mom is addicted to British police procedurals, if you find a deal with something that has the channel Acorn check it out, that seems to be their main focus.

gariig posted:

If I had to guess your Linux ISO is using hevc/h265 and Chrome doesn't support that codec. So you are needing to transcode to av1 (?) and you don't have enough hardware to do the decode/encode. You really need to look at the Plex server and see why it needs to transcode.

That would also explain why the Windows app works, it can let Windows handle the hevc decode.

:doh:

Chillmatic posted:

I just don't understand why Sonarr makes so much sense and is easy to use, while Radarr is a loving dumpster fire unless you started out with zero movies and used it exclusively to build your library.

I really with Radarr had Sonarr's Wanted > Manual Import button. If I've manually downloaded a movie file, I have to also manually create the folder for it, move the file into it, fix the permissions, THEN I can import it from the movie's info page which only looks at it's own specific folder :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

It's under Movies->Manual Import in Radarr.

Chillmatic posted:

That only lets you import movies that radarr already has in its library; you’re basically just telling it where the file/folder is. In other words it’s worthless and time consuming for anything more than a very small handful of movies.

Actually this is more or less what I was looking for, it seems I can point that at my /usenet/complete/ folder and have it pick up anything that I've grabbed manually.
:nice: