Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Looks like Filebot supports automated subtitle downloading in addition to automatically renaming/organizing your media, can't attest to how well it works as I haven't tried it myself in an automated configuration, but it appears to be pretty straightforward to set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Plex has just released Plexamp for music which seems pretty decent so far if you just want an unobtrusive standalone desktop player. It's got some improvements over the web player (gapless!) which I hope eventually get backported, this looks good for now though.

Download: https://www.plex.tv/plex-labs/#plexamp

Stockwell fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 18, 2017

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

odiv posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Downloading it, trying it now.

From the FAQ:

How do I move the app window?
The app can be moved once you choose something to play. While playing, simply click and drag in the top half of the album art/visualizer.

What?

Yeah, it's weird. You start in a search/discovery screen, and the window can't be dragged until you're in the now playing screen, since there's no titlebar or anything. Though this also means if you have something playing and hit the queue button you can't click any of the tracks in the upper half of the window, and you'll have to scroll the list to select them.

Kinda janky, but not too bad for a v1 release I suppose.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

teagone posted:

Or yeah this. Have a server setting that only allows direct stream/direct play on remote streams. If a remote client isn't set at the proper bitrate to allow direct stream/direct play, it'll maybe have a pop-up saying remote playback settings need to be properly configured before you can stream that video.

If you've got Tautulli installed and a Plex Pass, you can use this script to do exactly that: https://github.com/blacktwin/JBOPS/blob/master/killstream/readme.md

The default example will kill all transcodes and pop a message you can configure, and I believe you can also set it to only kill remote transcodes, or transcodes by library (i.e. your 4K or HEVC library, etc)

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Guess who spent today curating a 100 entry long playlist just to find out they don’t get shared to other users.

Now to turn it into a collection I guess, which I then can’t do any kind of custom ordering in.

Some of the implementations in this software baffle me at times I must say.

Plex WebTools will let you copy playlists between users, download them, or import new ones.

https://github.com/ukdtom/WebTools.bundle

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Individual local user profiles are handy as part of the Pass, in the event you have multiple family members or kids that use it, since you can have individual watched statuses and library restrictions on a single account. I can't imagine switching between multiple Plex accounts is particularly convenient.

For something that my family has used almost daily for close to 10 years, $90 bucks is a steal.

Stockwell fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 20, 2019

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

So the server is already transcoding for them and transcoding is bad? Why is it a benefit that PlexPass allows for hardware transcoding then? Does that mean their hardware instead of my server hardware?

Basically offloads transcoding to dedicated hardware on your PC which is much more capable of handling it than your processor, which in turn frees up your CPU for other stuff. I think if your processor supports Intel Quick Sync Video it'll work, and some video cards can handle it as well, as far as I'm aware.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
I had a year at a discounted rate after Crashplan removed their home plans, but I switched to Backblaze after that was up, it's been working well enough in the last year or so, was able to retrieve some corrupted files from backup a few times without issue, and not too bad cost-wise at $60 per year for 1 PC (For my laptop I just use syncthing to one-way sync specific folders over to my desktop, which is then backed up by Backblaze)

It is purported to be completely 'unlimited', I have 1.5 TB backed up right now, though I haven't pointed it at my media drive yet. Only thing that you might consider a downside is that it backs up your entire drive by default, and doesn't allow you to select only a few directories; rather you have to set exclusions of specific folders or file types.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

derk posted:

just chiming in that i noticed the disable transcode option in the transcoder options in one of the newer builds, not sure exactly when it was added. But i have been using it as i know all my users can direct play, but sometimes after updates their devices will have stuff transcoded which i try to avoid as much as possible. my bandwidth is open enough to handle just about every one of my users at the same time which never happens for direct play. I noticed someone watching a movie the other day that was being transcoded for no reason as i know his device plays my titles directly any other time and instead of trying to contact him i clicked that disable transcode button and rebooted Plex. He connected back shortly and resumed his movie and voila Tautulli told me it was being direct played.

So far it has been working flawlessly. Easier to set that then to explain or setup peoples devices to direct play as it is not set to that as default behavior.

loving finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's probably just me for some reason, but my PlexAmp iOS app is either broken or worthless. For some reason when I search, it only brings up results from Plex Podcasts and Plex Podcast Episodes. As far as I can tell I have it set to search the correct library, and I can still go to the home tab and select music from Recently Played, Recently Added, and Most Played, but that's it. Also no way to just browse my library? Something's screwy.

Go to manage library > advanced, make sure visibility is set to "Include in Home Screen and Global Search". I had the same issue and changing it to that cleared it up.