Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

emocrat posted:

This isn't specific to Plex, but I didnt know a better place to put, and I am using Plex as the playback software so here goes. I have ripped a large number of blu rays and DVDs into my personal library, and occasionally, one of the DVD's will play back windowboxed. I did some reading and I guess this is caused by the method the original DVD author used to create the widescreen image, where they burned in a pillarbox affect for 4.3 playback. Since I am on a 16.9 device it adds its own letterboxing, and you end up with the postage stamp effect, where there are black bars around the entire image.

Does anyone have solutions to this? The only thing I have seen in some light googling is to reencode the file cropped, which honestly seems doable given its a pretty rare affect I encounter. Any suggestions on a tools for that? Simpler the better. A better solution of course would be a way for the player itself to recognize and rescale the file on the fly, but that doesn't seem to exist.

Someone has already done the work for you I'm sure. Download a properly formatted version and when the feds bust in show them your dvd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That part is believable. The unbelievable part is that you are believe you are entitled to freebies because they don't have the features you want, and think receiving an immediate refund is bad customer service.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Looten Plunder posted:

You know how a bunch of franchises get really stupid with their naming conventions and go away from the "X Movie 3: Title Name" fomat? Things like Die Hard, Fast & Furious and even things like Harry Potter.

Is there anyway to have them stay together, and in order, when you sort your library alphabetically?

Isn't this what "collections" is for? Check out your library settings.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Craptacular! posted:

What the heck is Sonarr, Sickbeard, etc? I’ve seen it mentioned time and time again when looking up renaming utilities, but when I investigate them they seem to be about :filez: and downloading TV episodes from a USENET provider.

They are downloaders that you set up to automatically download what you want. They search indexers periodically for things. They also organize your files by moving them around and renaming them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mister Speaker posted:

Well this is bizarre. I knew I was missing a much-discussed episode of the last season of Atlanta (the one where they talk about A Goofy Movie). It's right there on my hard drive, and Plex sees it as the correct episode title, but when I try to run it, it just plays the previous episode.

This sort of thing ever happen to any of you? I also noticed after adding a bunch of things just now and 'scanning library files' that it kicked up an old show I haven't watched or added to, to the top of 'date added'. I hope this doesn't mean my hard drive is on its way out.

Have you checked the file itself for the particular episode to see if it’s the correct one? If the file name of the original download / media rip was incorrect that’s all it uses to determine what episode it is in the Plex library.