Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm having a plex related problem I'm hoping you guys can help with.

For the last year or so I've been using plex on my Roku LT. It's been fine for the most part but I've run into a problem I can't get fixed. We've moved and right now don't have an internet connection besides our phones and when we do get internet it probably won't be very reliable. The issue is that the newer updates of roku seem to always want internet access and if it doesn't it'll just drop off the wifi network and obviously plex won't work then. I've been able to get internet access for roku's initial login to get everything connected and plex will work fine but sometime after I shut off internet access (while still leaving the wireless network up of course) roku will drop the network and won't reconnect without establishing a connection to the internet.

So now I'm looking an alternate way of getting plex onto the tv without internet access (besides the initial setup). Wireless would be preferred but wired is also an option. I just can't run an HDMI cord from computer directly since loving windows can't play separate audio steams to different devices and I'd like to able to play a game with sound while my wife watches shows. Is Fire TV an option here? We'd both really like something with a remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I do most of my PLEX watching on a PC with PLEX Home Theater, what would be the best option for using a remote control to navigate instead of keyboard/mouse? I think last time I looked into this it was FLIRC + a Harmony remote but that's been awhile.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Anyone here tried the PLEX app in the Windows 10 store? I was looking into it since it remote-friendly and Home Theater is not but for some insane reason every time I go into a show/season the app will freeze up and my cpu usage will jump to 35% or so and then after a minute or so it will settle down and the app will respond. It's doing this for every show and every season of a show. I have a 2500k at 4.3GHz so I know it's not for lack of processing power and besides this is just viewing the episode list, not transcoding the video.

So what gives? Anyone else ran into this? Googling didn't turn up with much of anything and it'd be nice to use the app (if it'd work right) until the home theater replacement gets released.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Speaking of no internet does this new Plex Media Player require it? I installed it yesterday on the same desktop that my media server is on and it kept prompting to claim the media server but when I tried to it that it seemed like it never actually did anything. This desktop is only ever connected to the internet to update the library.

I'm hoping not since it loaded up all of the library metadata just fine it just always popped up an error when trying to play anything.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

Weird. My Roku wouldn't see the Plex server I had locally while my internet was out. I think I'm just cursed when it comes to Roku though. Lots of crashing\weird behavior.

No you're not the only one. I think my first-gen regular roku would work fine without an internet connection but I bought a newer one a couple years back and it would always stop working if the internet went down for awhile. I think it tried to phone home every-so-often and when it couldn't connect then it'd just refuse to load up my plex content.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
What Inspiron did you get exactly? I7s in laptops are not at all the same things as I7s in desktops.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Khablam posted:

Your main options are a shield, a synology DS218+ or something like the machine I listed a while back - https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/hp-prodesk-400-g4-micro-tower-7th-gen-pentium-g4560-2c-4t-8gb-ddr4-119-00-seller-accepts-90-offers/6947
(any similar machine on a 7th gen or later works fine)

It's going to come down to what you have available to you, and the costs where you are. Shucking your external drive and sticking it in a DS218+ is what I would tend towards in your situation.

Why a 7th gen or later? Did quicksync get some nice new features around then?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Khablam posted:

On your TV library, hit Manage Library > Edit ...
Scroll to the bottom and toggle detect intros on.
It will pick them up the next time it starts a maintenance window, or you can trigger it 2 ways
- Change the time window so you're not in it, hit apply. Change it back so you are in it, hit apply. It will do all the maintenance tasks.
- Press analyse on a show per season and it will do that season.

Is there a setting that enables some sort of auto-skip for each show? Seems like such an obvious thing but I’m not seeing it. Needing to be ready with the remote to click the skip button each episode seems like more trouble than just letting the intro play.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Gaz2k21 posted:

Up until this point I’ve been using my iMac (27” late 2013) as my media server but I’m now getting rid of that iMac and placing it with a MacBook Pro, so I’ve got an old Dell Optiplex 7010 I was hoping to use as a server, so far though it’s not going well, I can’t stream any content from it on my Roku and library scans seem to take forever.

It’s an i5-3470 with 8gb Ram and A GT620 graphics card.
My media is being stored on a My Cloud home networked hard drive.

Any ideas on how I can get this functioning smoothly?

I actually use the same PC without the GT620 and everything works fine. Is there any difference in how you're connecting to the My Cloud or how the 7010 is connected to your network compared to your iMac?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Just anecdotal but my plex server is an old Optiplex with 8gb of ram running Windows Server 2019 and I've never had any problems out of it. It's running the usual Plex/VPN/Sonarr/etc.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

hbag posted:

god
... there's probably a way to get qbittorrent to delete torrents in a specific category after some time elapses right

If you or someone else finds out let us know here. I’m still rdping into my server every so often and doing it manually like a caveman.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
We've got a whole thread on it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810

tl;dr is either the Anbernic 351P or 351V for most people right now.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Supposedly following the instructions here should work: https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

If it doesn’t then Kodi might be a better solution.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Oh yea, I think that did actually happen to me years ago with my standalone roku. The stupid thing probably just can't stand not being able to download ads. Weirdly enough I have a TV with Roku built in and it didn't give me any trouble when my internet went out for a day recently.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I’ve done the “pc in a closet” for a Plex server for years and I’ve never had any issues. My server also runs sonarr/torrents/vpn and that’s also been rock solid. I’ve seen that particular pc mentioned before in Plex forums but the only thing I don’t know offhand is how good it is at transcoding. I think if you have hardware acceleration going it’ll be more than enough but that’s a Plex pass feature. Hopefully someone else here would know if it’d be an issue or not.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
With Plex the only thing I pay for it Youtube Premium since that'd be near impossible to get via Plex. I also get HBO Max free with my internet but I don't really use it. My girlfriend keeps up Netflix and Hulu for mostly trash reality tv shows and true crime stuff. I could probably get most/all of it on Plex if I really tried but she hasn't asked and I don't really feel like polluting my server with that junk.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I haven't messed with a standalone roku in awhile but back then my experience was that the plex app itself works fine but the roku basically wouldn't start up without being connected to the internet (to pull in ads to show you no doubt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
For Dell it's an Optiplex Micro, at least on the business side of things. I have one running as my plex server and it's been super solid.