Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Roundboy posted:

$75 for lifetime, so I took the bait. I feel they will probably add more features I might like down the line

At $75 I would as well, if I get the email. If not for the value, for funding a project that I and my family use ALL THE TIME. But also need to justify how long I'll wait. At $5/mo, my $120 starts making sense earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mattfl posted:

If anyone wants the $75 coupon for plex pass lemme know. I got it as well but will never use it.

I do, please email my username at gmail!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mattfl posted:

Sent, enjoy!

Couldn't use it, looks like they're tied to your account. Interesting as it says that it doesn't apply to existing subscriptions, so if I have the $5 pass will I not ever get the email or be able to use it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I also just received my $75 offer. A few months back I did some of the items above to try to force it after someone in the thread generously offered theirs up (and subsequently found out it was locked to the account) and here we are. Cannot say it worked directly, but here it is. I'm also a 2013-14 era registration. No idea how to see exactly when I signed up though.

Happy to do it for the sync and LiveTV. My DirecTV Now subscription is ending (free AppleTV promo) and I occasionally enjoyed using that for remote viewing. Plex Pass will allow me to tap into my HDHR and scratch that itch just fine.

edit: Subject line is "A limited-time offer for long-time customers"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Anyone use the podcast feature yet? I'm planning to play with it this weekend to see if it's a better experience than I am getting with Downcast. I like the idea of having all of my podcasts centrally located, although I still 99.9% of the time are listening to podcasts on my phone and that alone. May be reaching for a use case, but hoping to find one that I haven't discovered yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

That explains why all the TV apps suck for guides. Plex, HD Homerun's software, and Channels are maddeningly bad. Totally explains it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thirding. I’ve gone through many devices (Boxee Box anyone :v: ), HTPCs and the least bullshit device has been the Shield TV.

I had two Boxee Boxes and my brother STILL USES HIS! It was an amazing idea that didn't work (first to market never lasts) and was janky as hell.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I recently picked up a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and was considering using it for Plex duty but wasn't sure of the limitations. I imagine it cannot support any heavy transcoding and don't believe that I use too much of that as it is as my primary players are both hard wired, ones an AppleTV 4k (1080p though) and a 1st-gen FireTV. I do occasionally use the HDHomeRun feature and think that may be transcoded and also on the rare occasion watch outside my network.

Would the RPi be too underpowered for those edge cases? I'm looking to get my main PC off of server duty if I can and if I don't go this route will likely build something dedicated.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ixian posted:

I don't normally recommend Pi's for Plex Servers, but people do use them. You'd be better off with a Shield, which can be a server and a client, and are on sale still. More expensive than a Pi, sure, but not that expensive, and you can do a lot more with one, media-wise.

If your Pi alternative is "build something dedicated" it's certainly worth looking at a Shield first.

Thanks for the input, that's what I'm looking for. I'm guessing the Pi is better served as a fileserver and not the Plex head. If I'm going to spend Shield money I think I'd be better off just picking up a dedicated server (Dell T30 or something) as there are other things I'm looking to get out of the solution. Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ixian posted:

T30's make good servers for a few hundred bucks. I'm assuming you've got a NAS somewhere else, or don't need a lot of storage, because they don't hold much.

You could build something similar for not much more than a T30 costs using something like the Node 804 case, which is a small(ish) cube that holds 10 3.5 hdd's and 2 SSDs. Pair it with a used Supermicro X10 board and E3 Xeon. You can probably do all of that (minus hard drives) for under $500 these days and get a fairly kickass NAS server solution.

My FreeNAS server is built with an 804, SM X10SL7-F, E3-1230v3 for example. My Plex server runs off it with a bunch of other things.

I'm currently using my desktop to do triple duty as server (3 HDs, but can condense), gaming, and all other productivity. Want to get my machines to be more specialized.

I'll check out the Pihole as I'm still looking for a project for my RPi.

Whatever I build I'd like to experiment using Linux for it. I'll take a look at that hardware, thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

I'm guessing If you pay for a cloud storage account that has like 10TB of storage or something and has no crippling bandwidth restrictions, you could run a Plex server with no physical storage for your media. You could build a tiny box with a 250GB-500GB SSD for caching and then put all your media in the cloud.

I thought Plex killed this ability. Now I’m more interested as I would love to stream my stuff from a drive in the cloud like Netflix and not manage anything internally in my house other than clients and programs that go to Sweden to get the content.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I must’ve misread, thought it was focused on pooling random google drive accounts. I’d be game for paying $10/mo for 2TB of data that I don’t have to manage internally.

Would have to prune some things though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

They did kill their in-house version of it called Plex Cloud. The solution I've tested uses CloudDrive and DrivePool, third party apps developed by StableBit.

This is exactly what I'm doing

[edit] Basically how it works is I use CloudDrive to create mounted NTFS disks in Windows using Google Drive accounts. I then use DrivePool to pool those disks into a single volume. I point Plex to that volume and it works like it should. When I drop a file into the drive pool, CloudDrive uploads the content. Once it's done uploading, you can stream the files. You have to manually scan library files for Plex to update and see the files since it's a remote drive, but other than that, so far with 3 different files of varying bitrates and sizes, I've had no problem streaming them on several client devices.

Sorry for the late reply but wanted to review this when I wasn't mobile and could properly grok what you were doing.

- So the files exist in Google Drive virtually and when Plex goes to run them it streams them from there. Clever. I had always thought that G-Drive required SOME location to have the data physically.

- There's not a good way to set up Google sync with two accounts is there? I already have my main Google Drive account that I use for our family backup. I see that there are free Google Drive accounts that can be had for ridiculous low prices on eBay through an edu email (just knowing that one day they could poof) and would like to run both on one PC at the same time. Don't think that's possible.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Another perspective is that the lion share of your library is fixed and unchanging, so only your incremental additions are going to be missing if you have an event. So once you get over the big hump you can rest assured that the bulk of it is available in the event of a failure.

By your numbers, you'd be out a few movies and shows (a few days worth) if something happened today. Not the end of the world.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah personal files it makes some sense, although it's not even intended as a Personal service anymore, it's a "Small Business" after they changed course a few years back. Between iCloud, Time Machine, and Amazon Photos most of my personal stuff is taken care of already luckily. I also have a 2TB external drive I make periodic backups of the RAID to, they just wont be offsite, so it's not really worthwhile for my situation.

My numbers are that my library won't even get started backing up for 2 months yet! The 2TB personal RAID thing is set to go before the Plex library. The library itself will take over TWO YEARS to back up!

Oh, nevermind that then!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all, I’m in the process of migrating my Plex box to a new UnRaid server that I am setting up. I’m having a bit of an issue having other users within my household (all internal to the network, no remote access, but remote access isn’t disabled) see the new server.

I have 1 administrator user (myself) which requires a PIN (which is annoying, but okay) and four Managed Users. I can login from the web or AppleTV and see the new server just fine. When I login from one of the managed users, it can see one previous version of the server (the docker container got dumped, I had disassociated it with my Plex account, but it’s there for them but not on my account) but not the new one. It can see the old one just fine.

My goal is to transition all the media devices to the new server but don’t want to take the old one offline until it’s confirmed working for the family. They’re all on the same network so it’s not a visibility thing, especially since my user account is working as intended.

Where do I go down to troubleshoot this? It seems as if the Managed Users are not associated with the new server, but that doesn’t make sense to me how Plex is set up since I’m logged in to my Plex account with Plexpass.

Appreciate any direction here. Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Burden posted:

Do the managed users have access to the libraries? When you go to settings and then click on users and sharing and click one of the managed users names does it show up with the correct libraries that they are suppose to have shared?

That's it! I'm a dolt for not looking there. Thank you!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nearly got my Plex and downloaders moved over to the new server perfectly but for some reason Sonarr isn’t deleting the old files after copying the new ones into the right libraries. They’re just sitting there in the completed folder. Radarr is successfully deleting the original and I cannot seem to trace where to turn the flag on to have them deleted. I have +delete turned on in sabNZBd for tv.

Any ideas? Thanks!

e: Ok, turns out that it was deleting some but not all, one whole show wouldn’t delete, but another did it perfectly. Then there was one movie from Radarr that didn’t work where he rest did.

It’s a mystery, but since it’s partially working, one I can manage.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 28, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bonzo posted:

What is downloading your NZBs? If SABnzb make sure there's not a category there overriding the other settings.

It is SAB, clean installation without any new categories added. Seems like it’s working now. I’m going to guess that there were additional files within the versions I downloaded and it just didn’t delete the whole thing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I just suddenly started having issues as well. Last night I watching SNL through my HD Homerun and as soon as it was over it started stuttering and loading in .5-ish second increments. Now I can't play any media as it is continually loading. No users on the server but me, this is only happening on the web, as my iPad is working fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nocheez posted:

I just did the most recent server update and my issue seems to be resolved.

That's good to hear. I'm using a docker on UnRaid so need to wait for Binhex to update his build. At least it's working on the iPad and presumably my ATV so I should be good to wait this out.

e: Not a Plex issue. Looks like I'm having an issue with media playback on Windows. On both Firefox and Chrome nothing would play until I rebooted. YouTube, Twitter Video, Apple Music from iTunes, Plex, etc. Strange

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 12, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sat down to do a rewatch of Breaking Bad and S01E01 only had a French track. Rest of the show looks good, but is there a way to scan my whole Plex library for any media that does not have an English soundtrack so that I can get a better copy? Luckily BB is on Netflix so didn't have to deal with it while we're all ready to watch, but could happen in the future and I'd like to janitor this now while it's on my mind.

Thanks in advance!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

brains posted:

from the web view, browse the tv library, click "all," set a custom filter for audio language and the audio track titles from everything in the library will appear as criteria (i.e. english, french, director's commentary, etc). you can do the same with movies, just easier since it's a default filter option.

Terrific, thank you!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I watched that and am trying to wrap my head around whether it's a wise idea to do a custom UnRaid installation like that. It basically turns into a fork of the main UnRaid software?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Diddler posted:

Has anyone gotten intro skipping to work yet? I updated my server to the latest version and analyzed my library and it doesn't work on web. Did I miss a step or is it just not great?

https://www.plex.tv/blog/go-ahead-and-skip-that-intro/

I enabled it two nights ago and it came up when I was watching last night on my AppleTV. The Skip Intro button came in earlier than I had expected, unlike Netflix that shows up right when the Intro begins, but sticks around so when it starts you can press it. It worked as expected for the show I was watching. I'm GUESSING they're analyzing what part of the series/season has the same pattern and using that time index to identify the introduction.

I recall there being a list of platforms that it was available on in the announcement for the Skip, check if the web is there. Also, did you enable the feature in Library?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

When you say web, do you mean the desktop client at your local IP, or the web browser from Plex.TV?

Based on https://support.plex.tv/articles/skip-content/ I don't think the plex.tv player supports it currently. For me, I just had to push the update. The setting was on by default and analyzed by default, then worked properly on my iOS app.

I just wish the button was a little more opaque like Netflix's. Sometimes I like watching the intro but that large bright yellow button is distracting.

I wonder if hitting back will make it disappear.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

When you say web, do you mean the desktop client at your local IP, or the web browser from Plex.TV?

Based on https://support.plex.tv/articles/skip-content/ I don't think the plex.tv player supports it currently. For me, I just had to push the update. The setting was on by default and analyzed by default, then worked properly on my iOS app.

I just wish the button was a little more opaque like Netflix's. Sometimes I like watching the intro but that large bright yellow button is distracting.

TraderStav posted:

I wonder if hitting back will make it disappear.

Yup, hitting back on my AppleTV removes the Skip box.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all, have had a rock solid set up in my home off an UnRaid server to a few older 1080p TVs for years. Finally broke the bank and picked up an 85" QLED 4K HDR goodness and looking to up my library game on a few select titles to match. So I grabbed a few 2160p titles and am having some very mixed results and need some help in guiding my troubleshooting. Everything is hard wired from my AppleTV 4K (newest one) to the UnRaid server over gigabit and Plex dashboard confirms they're all being Direct played so the server CPU and such SHOULDN'T be a factor.

Some titles are playing just fine (Plex says 32Mbps, file size 17-24gb) and others buffer every 20-30 seconds (70Mbps, but the graph shows 300-400mbps, file size 35gb) or completely go frame by frame (92Mpbs, graph show 500-600, file size 40gb).

I'm a bit behind the times on current encoding standards and bitrates. Where should I begin looking at? Are the titles TOO high of a quality? Should I investigate my network connections to make sure they can truly operate at Gbps speeds? Is the NAS hardware actually at play here?

I'd have hoped that a high-functioning NAS (dual older XEONs with 64gb RAM) and gigabit to a brand new ATV4k should be able to handle direct playing these, but perhaps my expectations are too high.

Thanks in advance for some direction. Would LOVE to carry forward my existing structure and have a smaller curated library of super high quality content, but if this isn't in the cards I'll just plunk down for an UHD bluray player.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Burden posted:

Your setup looks pretty good if it is direct playing. Are you by chance using subtitles? If so what kind? Subtitles can really throw a wrench when playing files because it has to sometimes burn them and causes transcoding.

Nope, no subtitles. Seems like different movies are transferred at different speeds. Matrix just came down at 17.1GB but showed up at 103Mpbs in Plex Dashboard. Stuttered every frame.

My sab is going crazy unpacking so maybe I'll retry this when the server is otherwise idle, but still don't think that's the issue. Perhaps a codec that the ATV doesn't agree with?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I get the occasional title that acts up on my Apple TV but it’s pretty rare these days. That Matrix release sounds pretty heavily reencoded if it’s 17gb and it’s possible the group that did it made an encoding choice the ATV doesn’t like, maybe go big and grab the remux and then you’ll know it’s how it was on the disc at least.

I don’t use a NAS to serve (instead a Mac Mini with a DAS hanging off it) but other than that it’s a similar setup to my main one.

Thanks, sounds like it may be release dependent and lots of trial and error then. Unless there's a way to suss these out ahead of time. I'll continue to play. Thanks!

kri kri posted:

I glossed over most of the post but try infuse if you have an Apple TV

Thanks, will take a look. Since this is only local play a separate program for just the highest quality wouldn't muck everything up at all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Holy moley I think InFuse was the answer, or better said the AppleTV Plex app was no good. It's ripping through Matrix with no problem, one quick buffer at the start and so far nothing.

I nuked a few of the other files anticipating those releases were bad. Need to pull down again and see if this works.

Thanks, this may just do the trick nicely!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

If I have an UltraHD Bluray rip in iso, what's the best approach to getting it to play in Plex at the highest quality if space isn't a concern? Handbrake into an MKV? Are there certain settings that I should configure to make sure it plays the best?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

univbee posted:

This depends on your client's ability to direct play raw UltraHD material. You can use MKVToolNix to do a 1:1 Remux of the contents (which would give you an HDR10 version of the film). In my experience the video itself generally can play OK but if you're playing to wireless devices the bitrate might be too spicy for that and require a re-encode. Audio is spottier, you might need to stick with Dolby Digital 5.1. Subtitles you'll need to OCR into SRT format, although if you're re-encoding you can burn them into the screen.

Thanks for the quick response and some stuff to go on for my own research. The playback device is a hardwired 2021 AppleTV. If the movie has Atmos should I not even bother still in this situation?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

univbee posted:

I don't believe it works in the format that's on UHD Blu-rays (it does on webrips with DDP-style Atmos) but I might be wrong on that, you can always do a test remux since it only takes a few minutes and see what results that gives you.

Thanks! I'll play around.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So, despite my biases against built-in apps I decided to try the Plex app on my new Samsung QN90a. None of the issues that I've experienced are present. It's chunking through the 4K rips with no problems at all and the 1080p content doesn't appear to have the occasional judder that I am seeing when played on the ATV. It's even still on WiFi as I have not yet hard wired it!

Is there something fundamentally different about these apps versus the ATV? I'd PREFER to run the ATV through it all, but it's seeming that the built-in apps may be performing better.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Violator posted:

This may be too simple, but can you check your AppleTV Plex client settings for:

The folks in this thread figured out earlier that this was the cause for my 4K playback issues. I exhausted changing things in the server and was digging into codec settings but that one client setting I overlooked was the root cause. You can see the full discussion a little up thread if you hadn’t seen it.

Even as someone who has used Plex for years it was a head smacking “Aha!” moment for me and hopefully as simple for you.

It was set to on, just moved it to off and still performing the same way on some of the 4k videos.

I may just watch 4k on the built in apps, despite the UI being worse.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Anyone use Leawo Prof Media on macOS to convert UHD Bluray isos to MKV that keep the highest quality and surround? I've been fiddling with their demo and the Lossless Video setting gets transcoded as it seems the bitrates are too high. The 4K MKV setting has to be overridden to get surround (audio set to Audio Copy) as I was getting Stereo but seems pretty decent.

About to plunk down for the full version but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this software first or if there is something better to look at? I attempted that mkvtoolnix but either I am too dense or it's not meant for iso? It kept complaining that I wasn't supplying an mkv as input.

My end goal is take these UHD Bluray rips and get as near lossless (or absolute lossless) to play on my Plex through Direct play as possible.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

univbee posted:

ymmv on MacOS, but on PC I can mount an ISO for MKVToolNix. From there you go into the BDMV\PLAYLIST folder on the disc. Open any file and it should scan the folder and give you a list of playlists and runtimes. Find the one that matches what you want (it'll likely be 00000 or 00800/00801 but there are a ton of exceptions), based on runtime and audio tracks, so you'll know it's the movie if the runtime fits and also there are a ton of audio tracks including lossless ones.

From here you can output a 1:1 Remux MKV. Depending on what you're doing you might want to futz with the default track settings, for example the Dolby Vision is a secondary video layer (that patches the root one) and you can uncheck it to just keep the HDR10 original. Dolby TrueHD tracks including lossless Atmos will add both the lossless track as well as the core lossy AC3 track. You might have to set "default=no" on the subtitles except for any forced subtitle tracks for foreign parts (you'll have to experiment to figure out which these are if any). In some cases these subtitles are a subset of the main full subtitle track and will need other tools to only keep the foreign subtitles.

Finally, in rare cases this might not work right, or you might prefer to grab one of the .m2ts files directly. You can just add one of these from the BDMV\STREAM folder directly into MKVToolNix as well, but you won't get chapter stops this way.

Thanks for the detail, perhaps it's the GUI that I'm using? When I search up MKVToolnix it's a command line only but they recommend a GUI (I downloaded MKVToolNix GUI). Will see if I can sort it out and get moving!

Blotto_Otter posted:

MakeMKV is another one to try. It’ll get you a similar result as what univbee describes, but perhaps with a bit more streamlined process than mkvtoolnix. (The website says “free while in beta”, and it’s been in beta for the years and years I’ve been using it, so it’s apparently free to use, until it isn’t, maybe.)

Awesome, will look into this as well. Shame it's not as straightforward as the old days of ripping.

Quickedit: .iso isn't in the list of supported media input types for that GUI. That's the issue I'm hitting. A thousand others, but not that.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 24, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm an idiot, need to mount the ISO and then go from there....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

univbee posted:

ymmv on MacOS, but on PC I can mount an ISO for MKVToolNix. From there you go into the BDMV\PLAYLIST folder on the disc. Open any file and it should scan the folder and give you a list of playlists and runtimes. Find the one that matches what you want (it'll likely be 00000 or 00800/00801 but there are a ton of exceptions), based on runtime and audio tracks, so you'll know it's the movie if the runtime fits and also there are a ton of audio tracks including lossless ones.

From here you can output a 1:1 Remux MKV. Depending on what you're doing you might want to futz with the default track settings, for example the Dolby Vision is a secondary video layer (that patches the root one) and you can uncheck it to just keep the HDR10 original. Dolby TrueHD tracks including lossless Atmos will add both the lossless track as well as the core lossy AC3 track. You might have to set "default=no" on the subtitles except for any forced subtitle tracks for foreign parts (you'll have to experiment to figure out which these are if any). In some cases these subtitles are a subset of the main full subtitle track and will need other tools to only keep the foreign subtitles.

Finally, in rare cases this might not work right, or you might prefer to grab one of the .m2ts files directly. You can just add one of these from the BDMV\STREAM folder directly into MKVToolNix as well, but you won't get chapter stops this way.

This really is a minefield. Here's my results:

SamsungTV Plex (wireless and wired 100mpbs as the nice TV doesn't have gigabit): Transcode video, 7.1 audio being played
AppleTV InFuse: Direct Play both Video and Audio
AppleTV Plex: Direct Play video, audio transcoded to FLAC

Most of the other content works better on the SamsungTV app, even over wireless but it seems like this John Wick 2 rip I just did the ATV is better. What inconsistencies.