Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Honestly the best solution with current tech and internet speeds would be to do a separate 1080p library. Building a machine capable of many 4k transcodes is going to be painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Currently, I have an old Dell workstation as my Unraid server hosting every service that I have in the house. Over the years there have been some situations that have caused unexpected downtimes that killed everything going on. On top of that, my original intention of this machine was to do a lot more than I am currently doing with this.

So my current goals are:

- Separation of key services so they are not all dependent on one another (an issue with one host doesn’t take down home automation, NAS, plex, piHole, etc)
- More focused hardware for the use case of each service (combining where it makes sense without violating the first bullet)
- Reduced power consumption where I can.

The question that I want to ask this thread though is, assuming I have my NAS separated and everything else running honky dory, what’s the best solution for delivering local 4K content and serving up transcoded 1080p externally. I’m thinking a NUC of some kind to host Plex/sab/sonarr/radarr with whatever that video accelerator function that I’ve heard about baked into it.

Budget is less of an issue, but definitely not looking to plate this thing in gold, what is the landscape looking like out there? Are there solutions that can transcode 1080p comfortably while direct playing 4k? Any suggestions on specs/models that I should be looking at? I saw model “NUC10i7FNH” mentioned in a reddit post, but no idea where that is on the spectrum.

Appreciate any feedback! Thank you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aware posted:

My opinion is it's far better to simply have a seperate 4k library especially if you're looking at the low end spec wise, with a HD library for your remote users. Most of them will be able to directplay x264 content anyway assuming bandwidth isn't an issue.

Not sure if this is in response to me, I didn't mention that my 4K library is only for local.

Trying to get the lay of the land. If a higher spec dedicated plex machine is in order I'm good with that too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

Dunno if we saw the same reddit post, but I read a user with an i3-10100 in their server has no problem HW transcoding 4K HDR content down to tonemapped 1080p SDR. In the same reddit thread, apparently 11th and 12th gen Intel CPUs have unraid issues, so 10th gen is the way to go it seems like.

If I'm not doing double duty with the plex server hosting the NAS also, they unraid conflict may not be an issue.

What are most people running plex on in this situation when it is the only thing really being run? Are there distros created that have an environment just for your plex dockers? Or dockers in general.

The more I type what would be ideal is basically unraid without any of the NAS components or VM bits. Just a husk that's let's me manage and run docker. If that makes sense.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I didn't realize that the free license of unraid would work. I've been running it on my big server all along. Since I'm familiar with it it would be ideal to use it.

Thanks! Going to hone in on the right NUC in the next month or so then, sounds like these things can be solid powerhouses for transcoding.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Getting ready for a long vacation, forgot how poo poo ‘Downloads’ are compared to Sync. Items failing left and right with no good reason (or error provided to help). Anyone have tricks to make this work better? I think in the past I just kept hitting retry and eventually they worked.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Depending on your library, you might be trying to pull very large files? I know my kids iPad was trying to pull the full Blu-ray rip for a few things

File size shouldn’t be an issue. Have over 120gb of free space and none of these files are going to be greater than 10gb each.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kri kri posted:

Use infuse

I’ll check it out, does every member of my family (each have their own Apple account) need to subscribe to their premium to use offline playback?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

For audiobooks get prologue if on iOS, it's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sounds like I have been quite stingy! I knocked the upload speed cap to 4mbps and only have access given to four people, two of which which use it regularly. I have Xfinity with ~40 up so sounds like more room for higher quality/more users.

Alas though, I am hitting the friends cap. Meaning I don't have more.