Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looking into doing a big changeover from all my HTPC tools over to newer/fancier ones, and that includes XBMC -> PLEX. XBMC development just doesn't seem to be going in any direction I'm interested in, so seems a good opportunity to move. I've used Plex before, but it was really early in development where it just felt like an XBMC branch with a new skin, so excited to jump in.

Couple of things I'm curious about:

* My HTPC isn't cutting edge anymore, it's only a C2D 2.4 with 2GB RAM. However it gets by running SAB, CouchPotato, SickBeard, XBMC and sharing my ~12TB library over MySQL and all devices in the house pointing to it. Am I going to have a similar experience with PLEX or is it more resource hungry? I'm moving to NZBGet, NZBDrone and keeping CouchPotato at the same time. I'll add more RAM when I have a chance to, probably taking up to 6GB or so. I intend to run server 24/7 and client when I watch stuff on it (whereas atm I have to have XBMC running 24/7)

* I'm a bit worried by the 'IOS just use Airplay from the iPhone App' part of the OP. Is there still a stable version of the app that I can install on my jailbroken ATV2? Airplay isn't generally good enough in my room, whereas a direct stream from the HTPC should suffice. I'm looking into PlexConnect at the moment, would that let me unbreak my ATV and hit newest firmware and still be able to browse my library albeit in a limited form? I'm a bit worried that one of my most used elements might be loss - I have an SMB share of my unsorted video folder that I can just idly browse in XBMC's Video menu, I get the feeling I won't be able to do that with Connect.

Think that's my major concerns at the moment anyway! I'll be doing a complete OS reinstall as well to get a nice clean system just dedicated for this (plus a browser for lounge surfing) and that's it.

e: looks like above user has a similar setup to me! Do you run other stuff in the BG like NZBGet/Drone/CP though?

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GutBomb posted:

I had a jailbroken ATV 2 that I used XBMC on. I wiped it, restored it, re-jailbroke, and sold it on ebay for $250ish. Went out and bought 2 ATV3s (One for the bedroom, one for the living room) and still had money left over. I switched to plex. I have Plex and PlexConnect running on a PC and I have absolutely no issues. Everything works great after it's set up. I populate my library with sabnzbd using rss feeds from my newznab indexer of choice.

Yeah it sounds like most of my setup will move over, it's just narrowing down the little things I can't see obvious solutions without getting hands on (Can I view SMB shares in Plex Connect? It doesn't appear so by default. Same with moving from SAB -> NZBGet etc, but that's another thread).

quote:

I've never understood the need for something like CouchPotato, sickbeard, or nzbdrone myself. Are those only for people who's newznab indexer doesn't have RSS feeds?

Power of control is really good in these apps. For example, if someone mentions anything that's available to view on iMDB , I can just launch the iMDB app on my phone, hit 'Add to Watchlsit' and it gets queued up by Couch. I used to use RSS feeds back years ago, but SB/CP were like new leases of life with regards to control and categorising my library without any real thought.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah at some point I'll be moving from the ATV2 so it's not a long term element really, it's just so I can still watch stuff in bed at night. Will get the latest ATV and a dedicated box for Plex and run them side by side then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for going over it a bit more. Just so I'm 100% clear, the SMB shares I'm talking about aren't in my XBMC library, they're temporary holding places (or uncategorisable things like indy wrestling shows) that I just connect to as an SMB share over the network and play directly. I grab a ton of stuff I don't intend to archive, and don't really want to change my habits! I'm hoping I can continue that, but I think it's going to be a case of 'yes in Plex full theater client, no in PlexConnect' but I'm gonna just bite the bullet and find out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Perfect! Thanks again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did a complete reinstall and put Win 8.1 on my system for the first time then Plex Server as well as Theater for local playback. Virtually everything has slotted together nicely and I've managed to work my way out of a bunch of little issues, but I'm still struggling to get the channels working as right as they should.

The folder it stores everything in seems to like to be read only (both the plugins one and the plugins preference one), which stopped it downloading anything new but that seems to be a bit better now. But even after making the preferences folder read/write, it still doesn't like writing to it from PMS and I've had to edit the files by hand. Which kind of works but it's a bit of a pain to do remotely, and the files aren't laid out particularly nicely. I'm guessing this might be a standard issue with Plex that's easily resolved, but haven't noticed anything obvious to fix it.

Hoping Trakt will kick in properly soon, I seem to have issues with that plugin regardless of which system I'm using! (Previously XBMC).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It seems to be working correctly now, although it might just be on one particular machine but due to the way plex works I hope that means it's all running fully now. It'll do for now anyway. All I need is an off site log of what I've watched and I'm happy I don't have to manually flag calendars, don't need anything fancy really.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I installed PlexConnect the other day onto my Win 8 box and ATV 3 and didn't run into any problems. Are you using the guide on the site? One thing that caught me out is (due to remoting in), I made a spelling mistake on one of the command line elements and this completely bodged things. A quick fix later and it worked fine. The fact you're getting to your library means it's probably not this though :(

Maybe worth checking the logs or the console output it has on screen to see if there's anything there that provides a hint?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has DNLA gotten vastly better then in the last few years? Because it used to be absolutely dreadful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for that heads up. I wish I could see more usage scenarios for me to justify PlexPass. I know if you get an annual pass you can pro-rata it, would be interesting to know which rate they use.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Dude posted:

The iOS app costs $4.99 whether you subscribe or not so there's already no benefit there.

Yeah, I've already bought this for my iPhone (and so far really only use it as a remote control). If I had a larger capacity phone and travelled more then the mobile syncing would be really useful, so I might pick up a few months of it and delete as much crap as I can as I'm on lots of busses/planes the next month or two.

Random question:

When I finish watching an episode and it dumps me back to the ep info screen, is there a quick, one key way of getting it to the next episode? When I used the iOS app as a remote on my RaspPi install, I noticed it would just automatically go into the next ep which was neat. Sometimes we finish watching an episode and decide another one would be good before bed, which means going back into the season view, going to the next episode, going into the ep info and pressing play (or skipping a stage with the 'P' key). It's a bit long winded, but making a playlist every time also feels like it would be annoying. Feel like I should be able to press [ and ] to skip back and forth episodes or something.

Plex Connect does it really well by giving you episode links for the season at the bottom of the screen in the episode view.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Think that link must be restricted to Plex Pass people, it's not coming up here on my normal login.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That would be a bit weird and disappointing, it's not as if it's a feature that actively costs them money to run. Think the main problem with Plex Pass is that the free features are a lot better than the paid ones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does the Mobile Sync work when you're outside of the home network? For example, I'll be in a hotel next week and it would be neat if I could grab local encodes of a few shows for the plane ride home.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think Plex ever really goes into that level of file management on the server side (or does it?) so it's probably more likely that the sync clears the phone by mistake. It's something I can live with if all goes wrong I guess. I'll use the speediest app at the hotel first to see if it's worthwhile, and jam a bunch of things on it before I leave. Looks like I might get some use out of my Plex Pass then!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd be a little weary of opening 80 to the outside world mind. Also some ISPs specifically block you from doing that.

My parents ISP blocks 25 *outgoing* still. I swear it's changed hands so many times they probably don't even know they're doing it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

teagone posted:

And man, that UI is slick as hell. I want Plex Home Theater on my HTPC to look like that :(

Yeah agreed that it looks great, but it sounds like a real hassle to click around with that controller. Is there a remote control option on the xbone?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hahah oh God I forgot about Kinect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a shame they can't design it so those who buy the iOS app can get a free month or something of PlexPass.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Exactly. I can't send email over standard SMTP. Luckily I can over SSL but still, it's daft.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Working here, which is a bit of a relief as I'm 4,500 miles away from my server. So useful that I still have access to my library when away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Had two 3TB Seagates due within the space of a month. Both were full. They seem as bad as the IBM Deathstars of the early 2000s, so avoid them like the plague (there's a report showing that Seagate are statistically the most likely to die compared to other brands). One of them is RMAd at least, but not sure I really want to put another in my system.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's nothing quite like being 5 minutes deep into a scene and asking yourself the question "Wait, am I supposed to be understanding this?"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty sure right now, any source device thats iOS 7 or 8 is only able to AirPlay audio to non-official Apple gear. Which is a bit of a shame, as that shits useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I noticed on installing the latest PlexPass version of PHT that I spotted my username in the top right, and wondered if it was for fast user switching (finally! so useful). Changelog confirms it is, but doesn't seem to work for me...

quote:

Sign in/Switch user directly from menu on the home screen (press left)

I press left and I get the usual Quit / Prefs / Channel menu, nothing new on it and pressing left again doesn't do anything. Am I being dumb?

e: ah just spotted it's a whole new thing called Plex Home and I need to set it up for people in the house. Sounds good, hopefully the trakt plugin will listen to it in the future if it doesn't already.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 24, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex is entirely based on a stable XBMC build. I think they usually are a version behind, but the very core of what XBMC can do is carried on into Plex.

The server/client split just makes it easier to have a central repository of your media, and then the clients just tap into what is available to them. If a device is able to play the file back natively, it uses Direct Play (you can see this in Plex Home Theater with one of the key presses that do similar things on XBMC, it's either I U or O from memory (they all bring up stats). Otherwise you can log into the Plex Server's web server and view what devices are active and how they're playing back.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the files you're trying to playback on the Nexus aren't natively supported, thus the server is having to transcode the file to make it playable. I used to have a bunch of video files that my Apple TV2 couldn't handle when it had XBMC installed, now I have Plex they'd be served a transcode to ensure they can play it back fine. You can change what quality this is delivered in on each clients Preference pane (which you'll notice for the majority is exactly the same as XBMC just with added elements).

I switched from XBMC to Plex a while back, and the only element that's been a disappointment is that live streaming services just aren't as well supported due to the server/client split. It's a shame you can't install "Channels" directly on the client and not just the server for some of these. Most of them are crap anyway, and I can get NFL GamePass working fine on my Apple TV so that's the important thing (as it's STILL not natively supported... grrr....)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just copy-drag the files into the Sonarr watch folder, and it handles the renaming/moving/organisation without a fuss (unless someone has really botched the filenames).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

rock2much posted:

Thanks. Do you recommend it over the other 2?

It's different, because it's a full media management tool. It's mainly designed to scour Usenet for files (Dev version does torrents too now) but it's great for keeping tabs on your entire collection in one go. From what I've used of filebot it's basically a 'put files in, get renamed files out' solution. I have it installed for when I need to clean up things I don't necessarily need in my archive.

Sonarr.tv is their site, it gives a decent overview of what it does and you can work out whether it's what your looking for, or if it's overkill.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there any way to get Plex to spit the meta data I've hand edited in the web interface to the folder containing the files? I know XBMC used to do this, and I'd like to keep a backup of my data (and don't really want to use an external tool for the few sections I need to do it by hand, the Plex editor is decent enough for me).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thermopyle posted:

Am I blind or is there really no way to filter movies by genre in the web client?

It's there OK. Go to Movies, change the dropdown at the top to 'All' or something so the options are all opened up, click +Filter and hit the Genre button.

(Took me a while yesterday to realise this is where the Collections are hidden too, so I feel like I know that Filter button on an intimate level today).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

Not that I know of - you have to manually save poo poo to the directory. Its quite irritating. If anyone know how to do this (easily) please share...

Yep, I spent a few hours on doing some organising yesterday. Decide to make it easier today by editing the section so it doesn't include the big containing folder, but specific folders within it. Does the rescan and everything I'd manually tied to tMDB is now missing all the meta data again. Goddamnit. Maybe I will use an external metadata program then... grrr

e: ok so now I know why you can't export NFOs etc... Plex doesn't bloody support them natively even for input. This is dumb. I can rename all my files so they get scraped against tMDB now but I'm relying on some of the custom options like Sort Title to display them in the chronological order.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 30, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry wasn't at my machine when I posted and didn't explain it very well!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whats the easiest, and not too expensive, way for my gf to use Plex from her Samsung Galaxy S3 to a TV? I'm guessing one of these Fire Stick or Chromecast things would generally work the best? Or is it just easiest to get a cable that'll connect to the phone with an HDMI on the other end (esp given quite a lot of moaning about Firesticks these past few pages). I'm not able to troubleshoot any problems she has as we're apart at the moment, so I just want something easy and reliable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Medullah posted:

Chromecast. It's super simple.

Thanks, I had a feeling that'd be the one. Luckily a friend has an Android phone, Plex and a Chromecast so I have someone local with experience.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's good to know. I have very little experience with Android as it's not my OS flavor of choice so I'm hoping she can set it up herself without issue, but if something does go iffy at least I can go to my friends place and replicate/solve from there if need to. It's trialling enough helping my parents through Apple TV running XBMC and a NAS and they live a lot closer!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Saw ATV and thought the Apple TV suddenly had an official app I knew nothing about. The Android theft cycle continues.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess Audiobooks could be muxed into a video container with no actual video track (so file size won't be an issue), then just log them as Home Media type and use the existing User system to track positions?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's absolutely ridiculous you even have to do that. I ignore all the smart TV nonsense on my Panasonic (I think at some point they used to run ads in the EPG on it, but I don't watch terrestrial TV more than once or twice a year) but I'm guessing that the Plex app on the Samsung neither costs Samsung a penny, is supported by them in any way, etc but still used as a way of nickel and diming? Reprehensible bullshit, how on earth did they think nobody would notice or care?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that theme an existing one for plex that you can download? I saw it on the videos of the Xbox app and it looks quite cool. I've never strayed from the default one but change is always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry just normal PHT client for Windows/OSX.