Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Party Alarm posted:

Building a motor is a huge pain in the rear end and you have to clean everything elevendy billion times, just btw

Well yeah but when it's done you get to brag about the motor you built. Unless it blows up, then you say someone else built it.

You making it to the Brodeo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Man you missed some great brodeo moments at that sports grille place. What a great brodeo.

Also Chris K's car <3

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Brodeo was awesome, had to leave early to make a lunch date. Looks like I missed a good drive back to Knoxville...or I lucked out and didn't get stuck working on the stupid E30 vert when it broke AGAIN.

Your E30 better be at the next one. Whatever I bring will have proper tires and brakes so I can do dusk runs.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
For those of you who were not there to enjoy the driving / alcohol / hj filled event that is the Southeast BMW Brodeo, the owner of this car let me drive it hard as I pleased on Hellbender. S52 swap with the best exhaust I have ever heard on a 24v and Wilwoods on the front, euro MT1

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I might buy a M52 swapped E30 in the near future but it doesn't currently have the A/C operational. I'm trying to get more details about what AC hardware is present, but generally how hard/how much is it going to cost to get it working? Looks like most people use the E36 compressor and the rest of the hardware from the E30 but I think that requires customs lines.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Everything I've read says about the same. I bet E36 AC would work better than the E30s.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Anyone else going to the e30 picnic in Tacoma this weekend? My e30's been parked under a tree for the last month-and-a-half and I haven't fixed the paint damage from its latest parking lot incident but I'm probably going to show it anyway because hey it runs and drives again.

angryrobots posted:

Little low, and rough. It might hunt a couple times the first start up after the battery has been disconnected. The more it's driven, generally the better it idles.

FPR, that's no problem I can throw that at it. Injectors, what is going wrong with them maybe? Think they're not closing all the way?

Edit:I feel like running better with the AFM disconnected, means the fuel delivery is probably OK. I'm not familiar with the older e30 motronic, but I had to go deep into an issue with another car, and running better in alpha-n points pretty hard at a bad input.

Similar issue here, it starts off idling at 1100 when the cold start valve's kicked in, but once it cuts out it tends to hunt between 850 and 550rpm, eventually settling down at 550rpm. I've replaced just about everything on the fuel side of things, and personally I suspect my injectors need a cleaning/rebuild. No way to know if my AFM's been toyed with, but I've replaced or tested just about everything which could affect idle. Never hurts to have your injectors cleaned/rebuilt if you can deal with not having your e30 for a week. Unless you know 100% for sure the injectors are not the original ones that came on the car, and were replaced on the better half of the past two decades, don't try to clean them yourself. I guess my o2 sensor is bad and my ignition coil tests 1k ohms out of spec, but I don't really see either of those being culprits. Could be my broken impulse sensor though.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 23, 2015

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I found a place that will refurbish and test the AFM, but upon some digging into the motronic operation, I don't think the ecu is (supposed to) be reading the AFM at idle, which is where my issue is at. The TPS is not a variable resistance unit like more modern fuel injection systems use. It has three positions, idle (ecu uses intake air and coolant temp, does not use measured air volume), middle position (AFM in use), and WOT (max fueling table).

So I need to test my tps to make sure it's sending idle position signal and look for vacuum leaks (like every other e30) and that's where I'm still at, haven't had a chance to screw with it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

rscott posted:

I might buy a M52 swapped E30 in the near future but it doesn't currently have the A/C operational. I'm trying to get more details about what AC hardware is present, but generally how hard/how much is it going to cost to get it working? Looks like most people use the E36 compressor and the rest of the hardware from the E30 but I think that requires customs lines.

Best is to get all the poo poo mounted up then take it to a place that can make the lines. That way every thing is in place and they just have to measure, cut and crimp.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The compressor is mounted, just need to put the belt on and get the lines put in and the system charged.

Don't have any pics of it on my phone right now but this is what I know about it so far:
1989 BMW 325is zinnoberrot
Fully rebuilt m52 motor with m3 cams. Port and polished head
Pink top injectors 
Obd1 converted, all new sensors: crank, cam, temp sensor, intake air temp sensor, o2 sensor 
Ob2 exhaust manifolds
New clutch kit with pressure plate and m20 balanced flywheel
Transmission seals replaced front and rear, with new shift bushings and new shift selector seal.
Stainless steel brake lines all around and stainless steel  clutch line
Catuned stage 1 bbk 4 piston
HnR Coilover in front with camber kit ebach spring setup in rear with Bilstien shocks absorbers all around
318 radiator with electric fan set up
New rubber fuel lines and new fuel filter
Esm wheels
5mm spacer in front to clear bbk kit, 15 mm spacer in rear.
Crack free dash with dash mat to protect it.
Catuned e30 to m50 wireing loom
Rebuilt cluster, with cluster rings and red needles
Rear pop out windows
318is carpet
Is Sport seats
Ski pass seat in rear with head rests
Hounds tooth door cards
Is sport steering wheel
Is front lip
Is rear spoiler
Custom side skirts
Catuned front spilter
Posi diff (LSD)
E36 steering rack with new tie rod ends and new control arms (also had alignment done)
Ireland engineering steering bushing
Ireland engineering Poly motor mounts
New transmission mounts
Stromung exhaust and e36 cats
M3 Wiring loom covers
Renewed finishes powdercoated valve cover
Map light mirror
They want $8500 for it which I could theoretically afford but is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
The place I'm looking at renting in Bloomington has a garage! I'm so happy my e30 can come with me. I warshed it a bit, also motor

Also that red car sounds like a good deal. That's a well sorted e30.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I did not know this thread was here! Awesome. I'll be sure to post the MTech's progress as we go. Right now we're replacing a few things to make it road-ready and after that comes the trans swap.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Anyone else going to the e30 picnic in Tacoma this weekend? My e30's been parked under a tree for the last month-and-a-half and I haven't fixed the paint damage from its latest parking lot incident but I'm probably going to show it anyway because hey it runs and drives again.

My boyfriend mentioned this today. My MTech won't be ready before the weekend--we have to replace a few suspension parts and we can't even do the transmission conversion until next week sometime. So we're planning on going next year. By that time, the MTech should be really pristine.

Edit: also, apparently the BF was feeling left out being the only person in the family without a convertible so he bought a 91 e30 vert that is near-mint. The cosmetic condition is stunning--the leather is hard as a rock but not cracked so he's oiling and conditioning it to see if it'll go supple. If that works he's going to use it on what leather we can salvage from the MTech, which is not nearly as dried out. This one is a non-MTech but it was in such good condition, and a single-family car, that he had to buy it for $1100. It won't pass smog and it needs a new transmission but he can probably flip it pretty easily since the cosmetic condition is just shy of flawless.

So now, we have six cars between us. Five e30s and a classic race Mini. Two will be sold soonish, and the most recent convertible e30 will be flipped as soon as he gets the trans and smog issues sorted out.

Once I can get the MTech out of the garage, I'll post some pics.

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 24, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
rscott, that car sounds awesome!

I would get an aftermarket parallel flow condenser, make some simple brackets to mount it, and then have custom lines made for the compressor and condenser. Custom lines aren't too expensive actually.
You could also check out coldhose.com if you don't have a local place that could make the hoses.

I'm considering finding an e30 to drop this cammed s50b30 I have instead of making another barely legal race car... I'd buy something from not-the-southwest so that the paint and interior isn't hosed though.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

angryrobots posted:

So I need to test my tps to make sure it's sending idle position signal and look for vacuum leaks (like every other e30) and that's where I'm still at, haven't had a chance to screw with it.

TPS is easy. STOMP test if your ecu is new enough and if the STOMP test works so does your TPS. If your ECU is too old like mine (pre-november 1988) then you can manually open the throttle and listen for it to click on and off reliably when it's ever so slightly open. Also make sure your throttle cables are properly adjusted, too tight and it will not register the TPS and mask potential idle issues. The stomp test confirms the whole unit's working but listening for the click only confirms it's registering idle -> partial throttle and won't test WOT. To test WOT you need to pull the plug off it and use your multimeter (bentley manual tells you what it should read out to, can't remember) Usually an adjustment is all it needs, sometimes they get oil and crud inside and require cleaning, sometimes this gunk has been there long enough to weaken the springs or whatever inside and cleaning the contacts/gunk out isn't enough.

If you end up needing a TPS I have a spare good unit that's been cracked open and cleaned, all you'd really need to do is epoxy or melt the two halves of the case back together $free if you cover shipping, just don't ask for it unless you've cracked your unit open and know for sure it's bad so that if yours is good I can pass it along to the next guy in need. If you really feel bad about accepting car parts for free tack on a few bucks for weed or something. Keep in mind this tps has like 249,000 miles on it but it tests good.

Also I posted a complete-to-my-knowledge list of m20 (didn't read enough to know if yours is a m20 car) vacuum leak sources in the BMW thread a few pages back for Maggie. Don't listen to what the internet says about the crankcase breather hose, you can just pull the throttle body and let it dangle without unhooking the coolant hoses so you don't need to bleed your cooling system which turns it from a 30 minute job to a two second job. Everything else is pretty easy to get at to replace or spray with carb cleaner.

code:
Intake boot
Throttle body gasket
Throttle body fuel return line (little tiny hose behind the TPS that's easy to miss)
Throttle body metal fittings (!!!!!!!!!!!! JB WELD THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
ICV hoses & connections
Brake booster, hoses, and connections
Crank case breather hose
Evaporative control hoses, valve, and expansion tank
Fuel pressure regulator & hose
Injector seals
Valve cover gaskets & bungs
Oil filler cap
Dip stick o-rings
Oil return tube o-rings
Pann gasket or oil level sensor gasket
lovely hose clamps (replace anything not-round and every single one of those bmw one-time clamps)

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I did not know this thread was here! Awesome. I'll be sure to post the MTech's progress as we go. Right now we're replacing a few things to make it road-ready and after that comes the trans swap.

My boyfriend mentioned this today. My MTech won't be ready before the weekend--we have to replace a few suspension parts and we can't even do the transmission conversion until next week sometime. So we're planning on going next year. By that time, the MTech should be really pristine.

Edit: also, apparently the BF was feeling left out being the only person in the family without a convertible so he bought a 91 e30 vert that is near-mint. The cosmetic condition is stunning--the leather is hard as a rock but not cracked so he's oiling and conditioning it to see if it'll go supple. If that works he's going to use it on what leather we can salvage from the MTech, which is not nearly as dried out. This one is a non-MTech but it was in such good condition, and a single-family car, that he had to buy it for $1100. It won't pass smog and it needs a new transmission but he can probably flip it pretty easily since the cosmetic condition is just shy of flawless.

So now, we have six cars between us. Five e30s and a classic race Mini. Two will be sold soonish, and the most recent convertible e30 will be flipped as soon as he gets the trans and smog issues sorted out.

Once I can get the MTech out of the garage, I'll post some pics.

You guys have very, very good taste in cars. I didn't think my car would be ready either, and to be honest it's in pretty poo poo shape after being parked under a tree for two months and hit by my neighbor, but hey it's a daily driver. I didn't think I was going to show it, but I don't think it's coincidence I got it running again just a mere few days before the picnic :v: edit: by the way those household steam cleaner thingys for clothing work wonders on old leather, the cleaner it is the better it will respond to treatment & it's probably the least harmful way to clean leathers. It'll get even drier and stiffer after steaming, but you should be able to get it soft again. If it's not cracked and just stiff I guarantee it's not too far gone.

Oh yeah while I'm at it, if anyone needs coupe sport seat foam/skeletons/mechanical parts/bits and pieces I have spares of just about everything except the struts and seatbelt parts. Also have a few spare misc. restorable silver leather sections. $free to anyone in Washington or willing to cover shipping (probably not worth it, but sweet deal to anyone local who needs seat parts)

Since I'm offering up free stuff, if anyone has a ratty old shift boot that's even slightly better than my disintegrating torn up one I would be forever indebted because it's probably going to be a while before that one gets high enough on the cost-to-priority list for me to buy a new one. What can I say, the previous owner knew it was a driver's car -- the driver's bolster, shift knob, and shift boot were torn to hell and back while the back seat had never once felt the warmth of an rear end until I owned it.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 24, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

You guys have very, very good taste in cars. I didn't think my car would be ready either, and to be honest it's in pretty poo poo shape after being parked under a tree for two months and hit by my neighbor, but hey it's a daily driver. I didn't think I was going to show it, but I don't think it's coincidence I got it running again just a mere few days before the picnic :v: edit: by the way those household steam cleaner thingys for clothing work wonders on old leather, the cleaner it is the better it will respond to treatment & it's probably the least harmful way to clean leathers. It'll get even drier and stiffer after steaming, but you should be able to get it soft again. If it's not cracked and just stiff I guarantee it's not too far gone.

Thanks! We could probably have it road-worthy by the weekend, but it needs a few bits and bobs on the suspension, and the trans it has leaks some fluid, so we decided to just make the trip next year. It should be really special by that time.

We could drive two of our e30s up--most of them are just dailys but one is a RallyX and you already know how awesome the MTech is. The problem is, it's about a 15 hour drive for us and we're gonna want to share driving duties. So next year we'll probably just bring the MTech.

I just wish I could get it out of the garage but the BF says it's not ready. I love my daily driver e30, but I'm ready to move on to the vert, especially since the weather's been so nice.

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 24, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lightbulb Out posted:

Everything I've read says about the same. I bet E36 AC would work better than the E30s.

My 1992 blows so cold I get condensation on the vents.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

TPS is easy. STOMP test if your ecu is new enough and if the STOMP test works so does your TPS. If your ECU is too old like mine (pre-november 1988) then you can manually open the throttle and listen for it to click on and off reliably when it's ever so slightly open.
My 87 325is (early 87 car) stomp tests just fine....

And I thought that about the stomp test generally verifying the tps operation, but my issue is intermittent, and it's an easy thing to check (if you have time, which I don't, so it sits).

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

angryrobots posted:

My 87 325is (early 87 car) stomp tests just fine....

And I thought that about the stomp test generally verifying the tps operation, but my issue is intermittent, and it's an easy thing to check (if you have time, which I don't, so it sits).

It's had its ECU swapped at some point then, that came with a 153 from the factory which doesn't stomp. TPS is unlikely to cause intermittent issues but you can test by clicking it on/off a bunch of times and listening for if it misses a click either on throttle or on the way back down to idle. Don't worry about WOT, that wouldn't be affecting your idle. I wouldn't even look into other culprits until you've confirmed zero unmetered air.

You could also be getting intermittent/random poor quality spark from a bad ignition coil or distributor - all the cylinders will fire but one will randomly fire weaker, which can make the idle rough without outright misfiring. p common issue that's super easy to test.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 24, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
We pulled the subframe out of the MTech today--we have to replace the subframe with the one from the e30 we're cannibalizing because we can't get the axle out of the hub to replace the wheel bearings. The subframe we're replacing it with shouldn't be as tough to get the axles out. We were able to salvage the differential, but we replaced the diff fluid and gasket while it was off the subframe.

I mentioned in the other BMW thread that the BF had found a fully restored MTech like mine that sold last year for $13,500. Now he's thinking about selling his race Mini to get that one, because the guy is thinking about selling. I made him promise he wouldn't forget about restoring mine--he tends to get distracted by his half-dozen projects. Is it totally selfish of me that I kind of hope he doesn't buy it? I was really enjoying having the rarest car of the bunch.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Cross-posting from BMW thread with a question:

T-Square posted:

Anyone ever run a baffle in an M20B25 oil pan? I really really really would like to track my car later on in the year, and I think we all know what the stock motor likes to do. I can't seem to dig anything up on them but speculation as to whether or not they work from like 5 years ago, but is welding them in the only option? Can you even weld them into a stock oil pan? I'm looking at the Ireland Engineering baffle, FWIW.

Also, PartyAlarm, did you mention you were going to make a batch of those bitchin' driver side vent gauge pods? I'm extremely interested in one if you ever crank some out. Why yes, these two questions are related, why do you ask? :ninja:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Another one showed up. 87 325is w/ 93k

It has some paint issues on the passenger side fender and trunk. It looks like they were resprayed at one point poorly and the paint is all cracking. The rear subframe is squeaky, and it needs an E36 steering rack, a short shifter, and a headunit/speakers. Otherwise it's pretty perfect.

Here's the 90

I need to clean the 318 and then take pictures of it, too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
When you decide to get rid of one... let me know...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Holy poo poo that car is cherry. Haven't seen an uncracked E30 dash in a long time.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

Holy poo poo that car is cherry. Haven't seen an uncracked E30 dash in a long time.

The next time you're in Atlanta, I can show you some poo poo.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

revmoo posted:

I've got three of them.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Goddamn... The more I think of it the more I want an e30 with my s50b30.

Too bad they're so roached out here because of the drat sun!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

revmoo posted:

Mine only has like a 1CM crack at the corner of one of the vents, so it's pretty hard to see.

It also has a hole in the floor, no bottoms on the fenders, rusty rockers, and a rusty rear valance. :q:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

SuperDucky posted:

The next time you're in Atlanta, I can show you some poo poo.

There exists some special place in between the rust belt and hot sun cooking your paint and trim belt where perfect old BMWs roam. Is it Atlanta?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

8ender posted:

There exists some special place in between the rust belt and hot sun cooking your paint and trim belt where perfect old BMWs roam. Is it Atlanta?

:shh: a garage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

Another one showed up. 87 325is w/ 93k
Here's the 90

drat those are clean, love the red on black. Nice find on the 87.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Oh god I'm bleeding money out of my rear end

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Party Alarm posted:

We're listening. Go on...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

pics or it didn't happen. Of the things you're throwing money at, not your bloody rear end.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

8ender posted:

The pacific northwest.
:ssh:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
No pics until the boxes arrive

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Yall remember the e30 MTech vert I picked up back in June? After sitting on stands for four months, the internal restoration is all but done. The suspension took forever, broke a couple of cheap tools from Harbor Freight, but it's finally in. While we were doing the transmission conversion we decided to swap in a newer, more powerful engine he had pulled out of a beautiful, low-mileage, but wrecked e30. We also discovered that the floor panel was already fitted for the clutch pedal, so that saved some time during the conversion. The boyfriend also put in a short shifter he had lying around. We test drove it last night and it is so, so smooth. I've been abusing the hell out of my 325e because it was a cheap piece of junk (driving it about 300 miles a week but still doing all the maintenance it needs, it runs fine but is just cheap), and I can't believe how much better the MTech drives.

It still needs some minor tweaks here and there to run perfect, but it should be done really soon. I'll take pictures once it's done, but the exterior hasn't changed much. We'll be doing a cosmetic restoration probably sometime in the spring. It doesn't need much, just some dent pulling and new paint. :)

Edit: by "we" I mean my boyfriend. I bought the stuff and he did all the work. I can't even begin to imagine how much work it took to get that thing restored. He said he'd never do it again; I said the restoration could be my birthday present this year.

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 13, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Post some pics!

Newer M20 or M50/52?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Post some pics!

Newer M20 or M50/52?

I don't have the specs in front of me but judging from the engine it looks like a newer M20. Since the cosmetic restoration isn't done yet, there aren't a lot of changes that a photo would show, but here you go!

This is the Craigslist photo:

This is what it looked like when I brought it home. It drove pretty well then although I'm not a fan of the automatic transmission:

This is the old engine. It had something like 300K miles on it but was still running really well. We're either going to sell it or keep it for a spare:

Probably won't run like this...

This is the new engine that came out of a salvage car. Approximately the same specs but much lower mileage:

Edited for huge.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

HotCanadianChick posted:

The pacific northwest.
:ssh:

Probably the only place you can regularly.find rust free aw11's for like $1500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Phew. Windage tray on, oil pump nut red loctite'd (temp, will safety wire over winter), oil pan back on, motor back in car, clutch + flywheel on.

I don't have a trans brace or dust shield plate. Welp!

Any goons near southern Indiana have some spare parts? Hahaha

• Locked thread