Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I best snap up an E28 535 before they go way the gently caress up. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
The prices on euro headlights and bumpers have already started to get kinda ridiculous

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
E36s seem to be starting the E30 trend of bottoming out price wise and climbing.

Every thing is just to drat expensive anymore. :(

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Party Alarm posted:

The prices on euro headlights and bumpers have already started to get kinda ridiculous

For the e28?
I thought you couldn't get lights for them anymore, like one of the sizes was NLA and not being reproduced?
M62 e28 would be amazing!

I've always felt bumpers were too much for these cars, but I blame Japanese cars for that. I wish someone would make fiberglass reproductions of the bumper surrounds that warp like hell out here in the heat.

If parts weren't so cheap (comparatively) for the e36, I'd use it for a donor...

BlackMK4 posted:

I best snap up an E28 535 before they go way the gently caress up. Sigh.
I originally wanted an 88 528e to turn into an eta stroker turbo, I feel it's easier and cheaper to make power out of the m20.

Maybe there's something wrong with my car and I'm just jaded, but my 535i is so slow!

mafoose fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 2, 2015

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

E36s seem to be starting the E30 trend of bottoming out price wise and climbing.

e90s and e82s are on the downward swing, and have WAY more to offer performance wise. 450whp daily drivers that sound loving awesome with almost any exhaust!

Also e34s, e39s, and e38s are cheapo.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Party Alarm posted:

I miss the hell out of my e28. I guess I should just finish the brown car, then get an e28 to shove an M62b44 in
Yes you do. Or something larger with more power because why not. I'll probably bring the E28 to the next Brodeo unless people want to see the E30 again.

mafoose posted:

For the e28?
I thought you couldn't get lights for them anymore, like one of the sizes was NLA and not being reproduced?
They are getting a little harder to source NEW but overall not bad, lights come up once a week if you're looking for them. Can get a set of regular Euro's for ~$200 and yellow's for $250-300. Looks like they don't have full bumpers anymore that I can find but http://www.wallothnesch.com/ is great for Euro or hard to find parts.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know, it's great. Starting to think it might be about time to upgrade to an E46/E90. I like to ride that depreciation curve :)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Man, I love E36s and really want another one at some point :(

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Here's a tip from 7 years as a (marine) service writer/manager: Never tell the shop you have a spare/aren't in a hurry to get your car/truck/boat/whatever back. That will instantly put you at the back of the line, and the first unit to get pushed back if anything else pops up. Not saying that 3 weeks is reasonable, but if you told them that, they're absolutely putting you on the back burner every time they need to.

Yeah, in retrospect I know my mistake, I was just trying to get my stuff fixed for cheap. I thought if I was nice they'd be more willing to weld my power steering pump housing rather than be like every other shop I called (NOPE YOU NEED A WHOLE NEW POWER STEERING PUMP DAWG)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

I know, it's great. Starting to think it might be about time to upgrade to an E46/E90. I like to ride that depreciation curve :)

I know. I love the depreciation curve, you can get some good cars for not a ton of money. I think E34s have bottomed out, just need them to stay like that for a couple of years, I'd love to get my hands on one.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mafoose posted:

As stated before, never do this. Instead say I need it in a week, or in two weeks, etc.

I gave up on mine. The steering wheel tilt motor was making funny noises, both seats needed a motor, and all the window regs kept breaking, and I wasn't going to shell out $1k on BMW regs for all windows.

I do miss the 6 speed and the gobs of torque. Oh, and the sweet induction noise with a CAI.

You better hurry up!
A couple years ago you would trip over e28s under $2k, not so anymore.
I have the money in hand now and I'd be willing to spend up to 6k for a nice 535is. Hell it doesn't even have to be a stick, I'm fine with the zf in a daily driver. Need to start looking on bmw forums I guess.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I'm poking around craigslist in my area and I see a few e30 e325 convertibles for sale around 2k. Are these getting swept up in the E30 craze? Suppose I were to snatch them up and repair, what are fairly turnkey E30s going for these days?

The clean vert my partner picked up to flip was $1100 but that was with failed smog and bad trans. He found a working (auto) trans for $75 and he says he knows how to fix the smog issue. Keep in mind the car is really pristine, but he expects to relist it for $4500. He'll probably end up getting $4k or so.

My vert was $5k, but that was a steal; it's worth at least 8 considering its rarity. The main thing is to make sure the convertible top motor works or has been converted to hand-cranked.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Just ordered an E60 shifter, bushings, clips, trans bushings and a driveshaft guibo.

I'll do the suspension once I'm able to sell the Civic so my fiancee doesn't kill me.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And just like E30s, they are now mostly a pile of rubble, hopelessly in maintenance debt, or owned by a goon fanatic. Once I get all of the rear bushings replaced on mine this summer, it should be in good order for a while.

E90s are really coming down (here). I'm finding E91 sport pack/6speeds for $8kish. That will be my next buy but I won't be in a position to need another car for about three years.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

rscott posted:

I have the money in hand now and I'd be willing to spend up to 6k for a nice 535is. Hell it doesn't even have to be a stick, I'm fine with the zf in a daily driver. Need to start looking on bmw forums I guess.

$6k will meet you a really nice daily drivable example.

Almost 3 years ago I had a chance to but a metric mechanic 3.7l stroker e28 with a MM getrag and LSD for $4.5k. I didn't have the money at the time...

Save up a couple more thousand and you can get into a maintenence deficit M5 ;)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mafoose posted:

Almost 3 years ago I had a chance to but a metric mechanic 3.7l stroker e28 with a MM getrag and LSD for $4.5k. I didn't have the money at the time...

Agreed, 6k should be able to get you a pretty decent E28. Nice if you're willing to wait and look. Always painful looking back on cars you passed because the timing was bad or you were short a little money. My list includes 3.0 CSL, 2000CS, E30 M3, several M5's and a bunch of non BMW stuff...oh well.

M5's are starting to climb slowly. Have seen a few in the 10-12k range that were higher mileage but still relatively good examples.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mafoose posted:

Yeah I don't have a garage or the stomach to do the work on the S38 so no thanks

e: looking at $1400 e30 with 150k miles that's supposedly flawless mechanically, just won't pass smog in california because of the cats. No emissions testing in Kansas so I don't really care about that.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M3-99-BMW-M3-Convertible-No-Reserve-5Spd-Rare-240HP-/191613281786

I already own an e90 and want a fun car to dick around in. I can do all my own work up to complete engine/transmission teardowns. I know about the cooling system/bushing/strut mount pain triumvirate on these cars. How bad an idea is this, assuming it stays low?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know. I love the depreciation curve, you can get some good cars for not a ton of money. I think E34s have bottomed out, just need them to stay like that for a couple of years, I'd love to get my hands on one.

They've totally bottomed out. Problem up here in Canada is that they suffered massive door rust problems so you can find a cheap E34 but good luck finding solid doors without a road trip south.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

^^I wish that was the case here. I looked for a few months before buying the 535i and couldn't find anything manual with an ok interior for under $4k.

coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007
Don't you know how popular I am in real life?
My e34 540i has been great for the few months I've had it, however it seems to be developing some auto trans problems. I generally run it with aircon on as that improves the shifts when cold/hot whatever. Without it it tends to hold onto 2nd or 3rd gear until it warms up at which point it tends to shift fine. A couple weeks ago it seemed to hold onto 2nd gear when I was working the shifter from 2 to 3 which meant the car was cruising at 5000+rpm. Moving it into 4 or D had no effect, it only sorted itself when I slowed down forcing it to downshift.

This problem seems to happen any time I plant my foot now. No matter where the gear shifter is it will hold onto 2nd, 3rd and once even 4th no matter the position of the shifter (haven't tried going lower than the gear it's grabbed as its often close to red line). Normal driving is fine.

I was cruising down the 10 miles down the freeway in 3rd with the car revving out of it's mind after giving it the juice on the on-ramp. Hopefully a good flush/filter will fix it but failing that I have a spare valve body I can rebuild and slap in. Hopefully this isn't indicative of a bigger issue than that. Any suggestions?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Argh. Someone just posted an extremely clean E46 on craigslist for 700 with a "blown HG". Too bad it's automatic or I'd jump on that immediately.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
Re: E34

I've heard the lower spring perches in the rear can rot out and fail spectacularly.

That said, here's one near me with a manual trans for $3000. One crappy pic. What do you suspect a reasonable negotiable price would be? It's been for sale for at least a month; I'm sure the place wants it gone.

http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show_Notepad=Yes&bnAd_ID=91852178&TheDealer=2495

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
With that photo....1000$

With photos of a clean interior....3000$

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

coolmancraig posted:

My e34 540i has been great for the few months I've had it, however it seems to be developing some auto trans problems. I generally run it with aircon on as that improves the shifts when cold/hot whatever. Without it it tends to hold onto 2nd or 3rd gear until it warms up at which point it tends to shift fine. A couple weeks ago it seemed to hold onto 2nd gear when I was working the shifter from 2 to 3 which meant the car was cruising at 5000+rpm. Moving it into 4 or D had no effect, it only sorted itself when I slowed down forcing it to downshift.

This problem seems to happen any time I plant my foot now. No matter where the gear shifter is it will hold onto 2nd, 3rd and once even 4th no matter the position of the shifter (haven't tried going lower than the gear it's grabbed as its often close to red line). Normal driving is fine.

I was cruising down the 10 miles down the freeway in 3rd with the car revving out of it's mind after giving it the juice on the on-ramp. Hopefully a good flush/filter will fix it but failing that I have a spare valve body I can rebuild and slap in. Hopefully this isn't indicative of a bigger issue than that. Any suggestions?

I think they use 5HP30s which have known valve body issues. Rebuild/replace and new fluid and it should be good as new.

mafoose posted:

^^I wish that was the case here. I looked for a few months before buying the 535i and couldn't find anything manual with an ok interior for under $4k.

The owner of that car we discussed wouldn't take anything less. It may be for the best.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Drive too far on punctured
runflat tires, yr gonna have a bad time

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pierced Bronson posted:

Drive too far on punctured
runflat tires, yr gonna have a bad time

Ouch. Makes me that much more thankful that when I got a puncture (several inch long slit actually) in a run flat at highway speeds (pressure went from 36 to zero in under a minute) that I was able to slow down and drive the 10 miles or so to the tire place safely.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ultimate Mango posted:

Ouch. Makes me that much more thankful that when I got a puncture (several inch long slit actually) in a run flat at highway speeds (pressure went from 36 to zero in under a minute) that I was able to slow down and drive the 10 miles or so to the tire place safely.

With the multiple contact points there, I'd say that driver didn't slow down or do much safely.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Hahaha did that person drive the car in, or did it come in on a wrecker?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Anyone know the part number for an e30 speedometer wiring cable? The one that plugs into the differential. Not getting anything on realoem. Also, where does the other side plug in? My guess is under the back seat.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I thought the e30 has an electronic speed pickup, and a quick Google seems to agree?

Edit: nevermind, I misread your question. Carry on.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 4, 2015

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
E46 330i: Since it's a daily would Bilstein B4s be fine? I can get all 4 for ~$300 from Rock Auto.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wrar posted:

E46 330i: Since it's a daily would Bilstein B4s be fine? I can get all 4 for ~$300 from Rock Auto.

B4s are Bilstein's OE equivalent. Don't see how you could go wrong with them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Test fitted my style 42s (need to be refinished/painted) to my Beater5.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Proper BMW rite there. I like.

EDIT: Fix that hosed up tint

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dyscrasia posted:

Anyone know the part number for an e30 speedometer wiring cable? The one that plugs into the differential. Not getting anything on realoem. Also, where does the other side plug in? My guess is under the back seat.

Yes, under the back seat.
BMW doesn't sell that wire specifically, you need to buy the connectors and make your own.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Anyone ever run a baffle in an M20B25 oil pan? I really really really would like to track my car later on in the year, and I think we all know what the stock motor likes to do. I can't seem to dig anything up on them but speculation as to whether or not they work from like 5 years ago, but is welding them in the only option? Can you even weld them into a stock oil pan? I'm looking at the Ireland Engineering baffle, FWIW.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
More 540i issues, the shop (a month later) says I need a new upper oil pan because they cannot extract the rest of the power steering pump bolt. They're also saying it'll be about eight hours to replace it and are having trouble finding a part (the girl was checking ebay).

Seriously this close to ordering the pan myself from car-part.com and dropping the car and a pile of parts off at the dealership. I've done it before and they've never let me down.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T-Square posted:

Anyone ever run a baffle in an M20B25 oil pan? I really really really would like to track my car later on in the year, and I think we all know what the stock motor likes to do. I can't seem to dig anything up on them but speculation as to whether or not they work from like 5 years ago, but is welding them in the only option? Can you even weld them into a stock oil pan? I'm looking at the Ireland Engineering baffle, FWIW.

Just my experience but we haven't found them needed on the M20. I ran my track car without one, the race car doesn't use one and none of the Chump/Lemons/WRL teams I've talked to are running them. We fill a quart over at the start of the day and haven't had any issues.

Seems like the IE one can be welded but it isn't required:

quote:

NOTE: Optionally, the baffle may be welded in as it is aluminum.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just my experience but we haven't found them needed on the M20. I ran my track car without one, the race car doesn't use one and none of the Chump/Lemons/WRL teams I've talked to are running them. We fill a quart over at the start of the day and haven't had any issues.

Seems like the IE one can be welded but it isn't required:

Noted. I suppose I can wire up an oil pressure gauge and just keep an eye on it and see what it does. To be clear, your putting a total of 5 quarts in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My mechanic always recommended overfilling the oil a bit when tracking the M20 as well.