Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Don't you hate it how to play any RPG nowadays you have to get so many books? You need a Player's Handbook, a Gamemaster's Book, at least three Monster Manuals, stacks and stacks of feats and tracking sheets and supplements...

Who has the time anymore?

Makes me sick just looking at it

So! This month's contest is to take things in the opposite direction about as far as they can go.

How clean and basic can you make your game? Time to find out because this month's challenge is to design a complete readable RPG that fits, in its entirety, onto one side of one sheet of paper.

And I mean all of it. Character creation rules, the character sheet, any GMing rules/advice/etc., and the setting (if any) all needs to fit on one side of one sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper.

Your canvas

Now, you don't have to keep the paper in once flat piece; you can cut it into pieces, you can make it into a PocketMod, fold it into a paper fortune teller, whatever. As long as you don't stray off the one side of the paper, you're good.

For those of you who've never seen a PocketMod

Now, I know you're wondering: what's in it for you? Well, I'm going to have two "winners": the coveted Best Game award, and the Most Creative Use of Paper award. The first is self-explanatory, the second will go to the person who comes up with the coolest way to work the one-sheet-of-paper thing into their game.

Both winners will recieve DriveThru gift vouchers because I'm a nice guy, and one or two ~*~MYSTERY PRIZES~*~ depending on if I can get them before the contest is over and what's in my stack of Forbidden RPGs.

QUESTIONS

Is there a specific genre or theme we have to stuck to?
Nope. Go nuts.

Does there need to be a setting?
There doesn't have to be, but if there is it needs to fit on the same piece of paper as everything else.

Can I use notebook paper, graph paper, or some sort of specialty paper?
If it's 8.5" by 11", sure.

Can I use a hack of an existing system?
Sure, if you can get it to fit.

Does it have to be readable game?
Yes. No 1-point fonts, you filthy cheater.

Can I use dice or cards or whatever for the random elements?
Yes; it's just the game itself that's limited. External tools should be stuff that's easy to come by, though; dice, beads, playing cards.

I don't have Photoshop, how can I make a PocketMod?
Get the PDFtoPocketMod program, which will turn any 8-page PDF into Pocketmod format. You can also use CutePDF to print a Word document (or whatever) to a PDF.

That's pretty much it. Deadline for entries is April 30.

Help save paper. Enter today!

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Sure, I'll enter. Why not?

Just to make sure, we can use like, dice and pencils and stuff?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Asymmetrikon posted:

Sure, I'll enter. Why not?

Just to make sure, we can use like, dice and pencils and stuff?
Oh, yeah. You can still have an external randomizer of whatever type is your preferred poison. And writing on the sheet after the fact is allowed.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Alright, then. I hope you like tokens and tracks :getin:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This looks fun, I'll see what I can throw together.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Okay. After an HOUR of HARD GRUELING LABOR, the working draft of my game is complete.

This is NOT the final version. Unless you really really like it. Then it totally is! Otherwise I plan to gussy it up over the course of the next week, to make it look nice on paper.

Big cred to to SA posters TheDemon and Killerqueen who helped curate this into something vaguely sensible!

I present to you:

I CHOOSE YOU CTHULHU! (Google Docs Link)

Edit: LINK UPDATED FOR FINAL ENTRY

Talkc fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 3, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'd like to suggest the additional challenge of incorporating your randomizer into your single sheet of paper.

I envision a character sheet that itself folds up into a six sided die, but spinners, cards or chits might also work.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

I'd like to suggest the additional challenge of incorporating your randomizer into your single sheet of paper.

I envision a character sheet that itself folds up into a six sided die, but spinners, cards or chits might also work.
That's what I was thinking. There's room to write things on the die but still have space around the net for additional rules.

Of course it doesn't necessarily have to be just six sides.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
This sounds pretty cool. Definitely going to give it a shot.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Oh man, these are my favorite kind of contest. So far the only one I've ever finished was the "Two-page RPG" contest a long while ago, so maybe I can finish this one too and break my streak of unfinished crap.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Okay, I'll try something.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Stayed up way to late to finish this! Sometimes that happens with little projects, can't sleep until it's done. I like it though, gave me a chance to play with Illustrator.

Take a look at FLIC-GUM the Fun Little Interactive Character Game with Unique Merits!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Talkc posted:

Okay. After an HOUR of HARD GRUELING LABOR, the working draft of my game is complete.

This is NOT the final version. Unless you really really like it. Then it totally is! Otherwise I plan to gussy it up over the course of the next week, to make it look nice on paper.

Big cred to to SA posters TheDemon and Killerqueen who helped curate this into something vaguely sensible!

I present to you:

I CHOOSE YOU CTHULHU! (Google Docs Link)
Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems more like a party game than an RPG? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's how it feels to me. I might be wrong though.

Bucnasti posted:

That's a good idea. Maybe there'll be a bonus prize or something assuming I'm not already biting off more than I can chew with the prizes.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Stayed up way to late to finish this! Sometimes that happens with little projects, can't sleep until it's done. I like it though, gave me a chance to play with Illustrator.

Take a look at FLIC-GUM the Fun Little Interactive Character Game with Unique Merits!
Neat! You turned Fate into a penny-flicking game! One question: what happens when the penny is on the paper but not mostly on the tracker? Is that a normal failure?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems more like a party game than an RPG? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's how it feels to me. I might be wrong though.

Its a Party game with some RPG themes ( such as playing Cthulhu, or crazed cultists ). I guess i didn't emphasize it enough in the document but its encouraged for people to get into the roles of things. I might amend it for that.

EDIT: I consulted some demonic forces for the change.

Talkc fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 2, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm really sorry, when I reread our first draft I realized our CORE GAME MECHANIC and our SANITY SYSTEM hadn't been implemented! Of course it didn't read like an RPG if the CORE GAME MECHANIC, through which all the role playing must be done, is missing. Here is the second draft, where we have corrected this glaring oversight and added a SANITY SYSTEM for all the simulationists out there.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12KlYk26m1IwsjDpJS46PmORzxkbdM42n-kqrSD40cL4/edit?usp=sharing

edit: added the initiative system

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 2, 2014

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwd0-7JeGvzBUF9mYW1iQ0hqTG8/edit?usp=sharing

Easy to play sober, harder the more you drink, all you need are the rules, a garbage can, and some friends.

Nissir fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 3, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Neat! You turned Fate into a penny-flicking game! One question: what happens when the penny is on the paper but not mostly on the tracker? Is that a normal failure?

Majority rules. "Add the bonus of the area the majority of the penny landed on to the skill." If it's mostly on the tracker, then you get the bonus. If it's mostly on the rest of the paper, then you get +0, which is what that +0 marker on the right is supposed to indicate.

I think of it as a variant of FUDGE, not FATE, since it uses the FUDGE skill system and skill ladder but not the Fate Point and Aspects system that FATE invented. I like that there's not only a skill component, but a risk component. When you're taking a big risk to pull off something amazing, you're more likely to get the +0 or disaster than when you play it safe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TheDemon posted:

I'm really sorry, when I reread our first draft I realized our CORE GAME MECHANIC and our SANITY SYSTEM hadn't been implemented! Of course it didn't read like an RPG if the CORE GAME MECHANIC, through which all the role playing must be done, is missing. Here is the second draft, where we have corrected this glaring oversight and added a SANITY SYSTEM for all the simulationists out there.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12KlYk26m1IwsjDpJS46PmORzxkbdM42n-kqrSD40cL4/edit?usp=sharing

edit: added the initiative system
That's better. Maybe if you knew the REQUIRED PARTS OF RPGS you wouldn't have had to do it twice. :colbert:

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think of it as a variant of FUDGE, not FATE, since it uses the FUDGE skill system and skill ladder but not the Fate Point and Aspects system that FATE invented.
Yeah, you're right. I tend to forget that FUDGE is a thing.

quote:

I like that there's not only a skill component, but a risk component. When you're taking a big risk to pull off something amazing, you're more likely to get the +0 or disaster than when you play it safe.
Yeah, that's a pretty good risk/reward mechanism.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Considering how short the final product has to be, I think this might be the first contest I'm going to finish.

That said, as a general question, what is a readable font size for a pocketmod?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Improvements made to I Choose You Cthulhu! The RPG:

Reticulated Splines.
Added additional pylons..
Rekerjiggered the Whatsit...
Awakened the Dark Ones....
Added Superfluous Elipses.....
And finally formatted it to a more Final* Look!

I just changed the font and added zalgo text to make it look purty.

*All things are final, as the end is upon you, ye who gaze upon the dark. Void where prohibited. See contest entry for details.

Talkc fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 3, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

That said, as a general question, what is a readable font size for a pocketmod?
It's hard to say, really, but I think maybe an 12 or 14 point font in a full-size doc should be readable once it's shrunk down.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
Do we get both sides of the page?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Egregious Offences posted:

Do we get both sides of the page?

Evil Mastermind posted:

How clean and basic can you make your game? Time to find out because this month's challenge is to design a complete readable RPG that fits, in its entirety, onto one side of one sheet of paper.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nissir posted:

Now write all this stuff down on another sheet of paper, and crumple these rules into a ball.

Ahem.

Evil Mastermind posted:

this month's challenge is to design a complete readable RPG that fits, in its entirety, onto one side of one sheet of paper.

And I mean all of it. Character creation rules, the character sheet, any GMing rules/advice/etc., and the setting (if any) all needs to fit on one side of one sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper.
If you need a second piece of paper, then you're not fitting the whole thing on one page.

Now, if you proved sections on the one page to write their skills down, then cut them off of the original page and crumple them up, that's fine. You know, something like one of those "tear off the phone number" fliers or something.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Thanks for pointing out the obvious rules I somehow missed :) I am going to edit my post and try to link a .pdf.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If the Game Master needs to write things down in order to run the game am I required to provide blank space on the page for that?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

If the Game Master needs to write things down in order to run the game am I required to provide blank space on the page for that?
If you mean for like combat maps or normal GMing notes, then no.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Is there a bonus if the game rules can be folded into your miniature?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That would count as best use of paper, obviously. But would be hard if you only have 1/4 of paper or less to fold.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TheSoundNinja posted:

Is there a bonus if the game rules can be folded into your miniature?
Yes. I will be quite impressed (save ends).

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Here is the first draft of my borderline rule breaking submission, MACHEWARRIOR

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4g6VGhoCzQEeW9TdExkaHRwcFE/edit?usp=sharing

Technically the rules are all there, even if you would end up wasting a bunch of paper if you actually played it. I still need to polish it up a bunch.

EDIT: updated the link with a revised version, its wordy as all hell but it fits on one page at least.

The Skeep fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 5, 2014

BashfulBanana
Nov 22, 2011
I recently wrote a fantasy roleplaying game as my character in a friends D&D game (which we then played in-game as our characters for maximum meta) and it happens to be very close to fitting the requirements, although it's made to be printed on both sides of the same sheet. I thought I'd link it here regardless. It's called BEASTS & BADLANDS and makes the assumption that readers have played fantasy roleplaying games before (as it's a joke in the first place).

Front http://i.imgur.com/9O1iLGZ.png Back http://i.imgur.com/NsSwdV2.png

Document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MDPYWV0oTQx6Br2L4b-KXfL0Y5HBucBh6YrtW4p5JHM/edit?usp=sharing

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Skeep posted:

MACHEWARRIOR
You know, you could put labels for Chassis, Mobility, Weapons, and Utility sideways in the margin (maybe with space to write the part's name), and have the player put the appropriate card next to the label. Then the whole thing wouldn't need a second sheet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Here is my first draft for Save the Date.

A little back story might be necessary. I couldn't think of an idea so I asked my dorm-mate to name a random genre. He said "romantic comedy" so I decided to roll with it and make this.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Well, I guess this means it's time for me to crank out a game-- hopefully enough to fit into a PocketMod.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm hoping to have a rough draft up in a few days. I've always wondered how thin something like Dungeon World can be made, so this should be fun. I hope a few people try to playtest everyone's games. Reading the responses is always so fun.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Just a note to everyone: Unless you have crazy good eyes and a really good printer, size 12 font is not what I would call readable once shrunk to pocketmod size. Going to edit some things and see if I can get size 14 to look alright.

Edit:
Ok, yeah, size 14 works great. Had to cut out most of my section on GM stuff for making NPCs and such, but I have a pretty good chunk of space at the end, so I'm probably going to revisit it. Still playing with layouts and such too. Anyhow, here's my space game that's a mashup of Fate and Cortex, with the added twist that players can control any player-character on their turn.

PocketMod Version
Pre-shrink Version for easier reading on the computer.

lord_daeloth fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 7, 2014

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Is printing a QR code linked to more rules a legitimate way to increase the amount of space available on the on page limit?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Is printing a QR code linked to more rules a legitimate way to increase the amount of space available on the on page limit?
No, you filthy cheater. Everything but your randomization method needs to be on one sheet of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Print half normally and then the other half in braille over the top.

• Locked thread