Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

For my submission, I have distilled my generic heartbreaker down to a one-page document. This was a fun and challenging exercise in economy of writing and design and how to capture those elements which I felt were most essential to the style of gameplay I am going for. Anyways, I present to you ...

Some One-Page Heartbreaker

e: fixed a numbering typo, reordered a step, reduced some text to fit in a few words about end of arc
e: added Bad Effect to things GM can do per-round
e: added in subtitle and author
e: fixed numbering in Get Started section
e: reduced goal stress following pbp testing

Paolomania fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

I really like this in that it is generic enough to be just about anything and has just a mild bit of crunchiness to it with the actions and resolution. You are really cutting it close on space, but if you find a way to do it, explaining discoveries just a smidge more might be good. Fairly clear what you're going for, but I could see it leading to some confusion. I might use your final version of this as filler gaming in the future, great job.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Yeah there are definitely details I just couldn't shoe-horn in. Any sort of advice or example like "mounts and vehicles are just Areas that move" was right out.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nissir posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwd0-7JeGvzBUF9mYW1iQ0hqTG8/edit?usp=sharing

Easy to play sober, harder the more you drink, all you need are the rules, a garbage can, and some friends.
I like how you're using the one page available for conflict resolution. I think "Who are you" absolutely needs a drinking game expansion if those aren't supported in core. :v:

The Skeep posted:

Here is the first draft of my borderline rule breaking submission, MACHEWARRIOR

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4g6VGhoCzQEeW9TdExkaHRwcFE/edit?usp=sharing
On my first read, I didn't understand why I'm supposed to remove the jacks; I thought it was a typo from jokers. Of course, once I counted the number of cards in a suit, it became clear. Still, I think adding a short "Queen=11, King=12" would help adding clarity there.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Hey! I actually finished a contest submission! :toot:

PlayGods, a collaborative world-building/god game

PocketMod Version
Screen-readable Version

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Alright, shrunk down the margins (can't believe I missed that) and ended up with all kinds of space to play with. Added in a small bit about character advancement and a quick checklist for the GM to build a scene. Fixed some typos and such. This is probably the final version.

WE ARE ALL STAR STUFF - A PocketMod RPG of Starships and their Crews
Its a Space-game mashup of the FATE and CORTEX system where everyone can control any of the Player Characters on their turn.

Screen-friendly version

And now I have a burning desire to start churning out these one-page games. Already have an idea file for a DBZ inspired arena fighter and a Twilight Imperium inspired space empire game. Make it stop...

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

For those of us not going with the pocket-mod, what is a good unshrunk font size limit? I'm currently at 10 point which is reasonably readable, but even shrinking a few sections down to 8 point would allow for a bunch of extra content due to the savings on both line height and characters per line.

BashfulBanana
Nov 22, 2011
Would including instructions for folding/cutting the pocketmod to be printed on the reverse side count against the single page limit? (I suppose I could just leave that out for the submission)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BashfulBanana posted:

Would including instructions for folding/cutting the pocketmod to be printed on the reverse side count against the single page limit? (I suppose I could just leave that out for the submission)
I'd say no, since that's not part of the game itself. Just make it the second page or something.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Paolomania posted:

For those of us not going with the pocket-mod, what is a good unshrunk font size limit? I'm currently at 10 point which is reasonably readable, but even shrinking a few sections down to 8 point would allow for a bunch of extra content due to the savings on both line height and characters per line.

I'm not the judge, so my input may not be valid here, but when I was experimenting 8 point was more than readable. Heck, with a good layout you might even be able to get away with 6 point. You can also gain a smidge more space by reducing the space between lines and reducing your margins to the minimum print safe level (just set it to narrow margins if you're using Microsoft Office).

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hey, I wrote my first RPG for this! It's called You and Your Dumb Friends and it's about how I hate you.

It's not pretty and it's fast & loose, but it is a game. I'd love any feedback!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

lord_daeloth posted:

I'm not the judge, so my input may not be valid here, but when I was experimenting 8 point was more than readable. Heck, with a good layout you might even be able to get away with 6 point. You can also gain a smidge more space by reducing the space between lines and reducing your margins to the minimum print safe level (just set it to narrow margins if you're using Microsoft Office).
Personally, I'm able to read small-scale fonts pretty well (like 5 or 6 point), but I know that's not the case for most people. I figure 6-point should be good.

Something Else posted:

Hey, I wrote my first RPG for this! It's called You and Your Dumb Friends and it's about how I hate you.

quote:

You and Your Dumb Friends is a game for 3 or more grown-ups, wherein each player takes on the role of one of the other people in the group. That’s right - you all roleplay as each other.
There is no way this would ever blow up in people's faces.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Something Else posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

There is no way this would ever blow up in people's faces.

Yeah... even if you and all your friends are really tight and non-babyish, you know at some point someones going to come up with something that hits a bad chord. That said, if it goes off well sounds like it'd be loads of fun! I love the way you work out a system that is both gm-less and kinda has that party game feel so you can talk non-gaming people into giving it a go.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Something Else posted:

This is a fantastic game and I might play it tomorrow.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
Too many rules, where my party animals at?
Allow me to keep it real...

Mikey's Friday Night ADD Dragonlance Adventure 2003
Screen-readable PNG
PocketMod PNG

Came out looking like something I'd expect to find on the shelf between adventure supplements, yellowed in a plastic baggy with a $3 price tag on it.
Mission accomplished.

Boob Marley fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 12, 2014

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

^^^^^

You didn't set it to public access there buddy.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

lord_daeloth posted:

^^^^^

You didn't set it to public access there buddy.

Whew, thanks for the save. Fixed it. Uh... take 300 exp?

Spekhogger
Nov 13, 2013
This is loving great, I might get a few friends together to try some of these out.

Maybe I'll try my hand at one too or something.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Inverse Icarus posted:

This is a fantastic game and I might play it tomorrow.

Oh man, that would be amazing! And yeah, most of the point of it is to rag on your buddies and humiliate them. Maybe needs a hurt-feelings disclaimer, but I might go full-on accelerationist with it and make the IRL conflict resolution mechanic just a fistfight.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Something Else posted:

I might go full-on accelerationist with it and make the IRL conflict resolution mechanic just a fistfight.

Two players square off, acting player gets a free shot to the body on challenging player, other players determine success or failure based on reaction of challenging player. What could go wrong?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

The first rule of You and Your Dumb Friends is you do not talk about You and Your Dumb Friends.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm back from PAX East, and I picked up some of the prizes that will be going out.

Once I've recovered, I'll start going through the stuff posted this weekend.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Putting up my Google Doc since I keep making edits (current PDF still linked above). I'm also playing around with a draft that has 8-point font sections to see if it adds anything of value.

Spekhogger
Nov 13, 2013
WIZARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Not the prettiest, but I like it. For 1 GM and 2 or more players, about you playing wizards in school and probably being dicks about it.

(Readable)

(Printable, Pocket)

(Greyscale Pocket)

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Spekhogger posted:

WIZARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Not the prettiest, but I like it. For 1 GM and 2 or more players, about you playing wizards in school and probably being dicks about it.

(Readable)

(Printable, Pocket)

(Greyscale Pocket)

These are all coming up "access denied".

Spekhogger
Nov 13, 2013
Thought I'd forget that. Fixed it now, should work I think.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

my game is called HELL VICE MERCILESS. It's a hotline miami inspired game where you yell at your friends and take 5 second turns to the beat of whatever 80s inspired murdertheque you can find. It's not at all ready but initial playtests were pretty beastly fun.

here it is!
here is a screen friendly version!

this is the fifth draft. I introduced the "NO!" system for player interaction and gave a reason not to just go first in initiative all the time.

LordVonEarlDuke fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 19, 2014

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

my game is called HELL VICE MERCILESS. It's a hotline miami inspired game where you yell at your friends and take 5 second turns to the beat of whatever 80s inspired murdertheque you can find. It's not at all ready but initial playtests were pretty beastly fun.

it is here!

this is the first draft.

Well, this has my vote so far.

Unfortunately, most of my tabletop buddies are remote, and this doesn't look like you could pull it off through, like, roll20.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

it is here!

this is the first draft.
It's funny, as I'm reading this I'm thinking "there's no place to write your stats or whatever" then I realized that it would be completely thematically appropriate to just scrawl your stats and things wherever the gently caress you wanted on the page.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

HELL VICE MERCILESS

Yup, this is loving awesome. Every game should have a real-time DECISION ZONE

Spekhogger
Nov 13, 2013

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

it is here!

this is the first draft.

Pretty awesome! Feels a bit more like a part game than an RPG, but still a cool read.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

HELL VICE MERCILESS

Not unlike Hotline Miami, I like this, but also find it physically painful to look at for extended periods of time. Well done!

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

it is here!

this is the first draft.

This, this is what these contests are for. Seriously, clean this up and you have something truly awesome here. Hell, leave it as is and you still have something awesome.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

thanks for the complements and such guys!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Not unlike Hotline Miami, I like this, but also find it physically painful to look at for extended periods of time. Well done!

hahaha yeah, it's a little incomprehensible. Check the original post; I made a cleaned up pocketmod version. Let me know if that helps your poor lil peepers. Also it has a clearer "character sheet" part.

edit:

Evil Mastermind posted:

You didn't make the pocketmods public.

OOPS lmao and now they're public. Thanks evil mastermind

LordVonEarlDuke fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 18, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You didn't make the pocketmods public.

AaronMFK
Jul 21, 2013
It's my first time making anything like this, but here goes.

Here's Combat Poets.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

AaronMFK posted:

Here's Combat Poets.

Every Limerick I can find has 8-9 syllables for the A lines and 5-6 syllables for the B lines, not 10/6.

Love the concept and art usage, I'd have to play it to know if the game mechanics work. Haiku rules might make eliminating a player close to impossible.

AaronMFK
Jul 21, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

Every Limerick I can find has 8-9 syllables for the A lines and 5-6 syllables for the B lines, not 10/6.

Love the concept and art usage, I'd have to play it to know if the game mechanics work. Haiku rules might make eliminating a player close to impossible.

Thanks for giving it a look! I wrote my reasoning for each point below, and I tried to keep them from sounding argumentative, so I hope they don't come off that way.

Limericks are really varied, but I wanted more structure (or rather Our Entrail'd Lord DEMANDED structure). I also wanted to get it closer to the 100 starting HPMP, so I erred on the side of more syllables.

Elimination could definitely be hard, which is why I included the "Monarch may forbid certain formats." Should I bold/italicize that part? I also envisioned someone trying to write a haiku on week 4, but then the Monarch only gives, like, two minutes, the person screws up, and the week's winner deals 20 damage.

I haven't had time to play it out, though, so if you find the haiku being exploited too much, maybe it could be limited to one use per game? Any suggestions welcome.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Playtesting my game tomorrow! It's super crunchy (compared to the other entries here.) Like Hell Vice Merciless, I'm taking a lot of queues from F.T.L.: Faster Than Light, although the execution results is different aesthethics. It's also finally gotten me to write down some mechanics I've been toying with for ages, yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

I played HELL VICE MERCILESS again today and have updated the pdf with what i have learned! Mostly it's more advice for the boss and little clarification things, especially on automatic weapon spray. Also the one-page version was too cramped and i love those little pocketmods too much, so now there is only pocketmods.
O also new change to make PVP more interesting.
I might add another class that gives an extra second of MOVE PHASE or something.

AaronMFK posted:

Here's Combat Poets.

LOVING the fluff on this. Nice dog pix and nice mise en scene. me and the boys might play it next time we prototype so I can give actual solid input... one of them is a legit beat poet & is going to destroy us...

LordVonEarlDuke fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 19, 2014

• Locked thread