Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
You are colonists on an alien planet.

The end is coming.

Drowns the Sky
Drowns the Sky pocketmod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

DROWNS THE SKY
This one's straight up misery tourism, but in a good way. You play as colonists on a dying world who know there's no hope of rescue before The End comes. What do you do? How are you going to try and be remembered? What will you try to accomplish before you die? However you do it, each player has the choice of trying to either protect themselves, someone else, be remembered, or some mix thereof. What impressed me is how evocative it manages to be in such a small space; trying to make a monument works and feels very different from preparing for the end, and I like that just experiencing the world (either peacfully or by engaging in vices) doesn't help you in the end because it makes it feel like a form of quiet acceptance or denial. This is one game I'd really like to try myself and see what kind of narrative comes out of it.
Although it can certainly be played in a misery tourism kinda way, the idea I had in mind was just the weird emotional place where you're going to die and know that there's nobody to blame for it, because it's a cosmic event that no-one has any control over (that you know of). I guess you just have to play it and see what falls out - the story you tell could range from tragic to uplifting. In fact, I wrote some of the rules to be a bit vague or allow the players some choice so the players could make what they wanted of it mechanically as well as narratively (within the bounds set by the harder rules and the basic story).

• Locked thread