Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Moto42 posted:

I think you broke my antidepressants. This should be required for anyone working with at risk kids.
Seriously. It's really good, and it's not even in the competition! It'd be interesting to see it played on here as well. I wonder if anyone's up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I would volunteer! I know how hard it is to test it yourself, so if we can scrounge up a few more players, I'd be willing to run/participate in PbPs and test 'em.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Spekhogger posted:

I was actually able to play my submission recently, which if not very useful here was enlightening. A friend GMed, and the table really got the vibe I was going for with it, which kind of spiraled into a Harry Potter meets Superjail thing.

All in all, any night spent in discussion of the Luchador Dimension is a fun night.

Well, since you've resurrected this thread, I've done a little bit myself. I can't exactly play anything by myself, but I can make character sheets!

MACHEWARRIOR
PROS: Coming up with piece names is a lot of fun. There's a lot of variability and customizability available. For example, I made mechs that were weapons-based, movement-based, health-based, etc. The weapon effectiveness thing is intriguing, although I'm concerned re:putting an Ace as your chassis piece. Does it only work once, then? If you get hit in the chassis again, do you die?
CONS: I think it's a little too open-ended. I think the parts on your ship should have more crunch, as should gameplay and combat resolution. There should probably be more required pieces on a mech, too. One of my mechs has a chassis and three weapons. All well and good, but if, say, the aliens took to the air, that mech would be worthless.

Lost Skies
PROS: A lot of it is super-inspired. I love the soul cores and their names. They definitely guide me towards roleplaying and character design. I think the Spirit system is really cool, as is the HP arch and the key memory dealy. Once I started making characters, I made more and more and more 'cause it's so much fun!
CONS: Why are both Soul abilities and Rhapsody abilities called "Talents?" It's kind of confusing. One should be, say, "Gifts," or "Approaches" or something like that. (Also, this may just be because combat is more common than social behavior, but I found coming up with Gifts really hard.) I think what the demons/Rhapsodies are should be a little more clear. The pictures on the outside seem to suggest something like a Persona or a ghostly Other, but that doesn't always seem to match with how the system plays. Lastly, I fear that the system might be super-easy to game. (See: X, the Demon Cultist.) Giving people the freedom to choose their Gifts and Talents means they may choose things that are very vague and easy to activate all the time.

If I get the time, I may doodle around some more with the other ones. Save the Date looks interesting, as do Twice as Bright and Drowns the Skies. Actually, I've got some comments for that last one (I'm afraid people will mostly focus on preparing and almost certainly never experience), but I'll need to playtest it before I'm sure.

• Locked thread