Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Oh man, these are my favorite kind of contest. So far the only one I've ever finished was the "Two-page RPG" contest a long while ago, so maybe I can finish this one too and break my streak of unfinished crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Just a note to everyone: Unless you have crazy good eyes and a really good printer, size 12 font is not what I would call readable once shrunk to pocketmod size. Going to edit some things and see if I can get size 14 to look alright.

Edit:
Ok, yeah, size 14 works great. Had to cut out most of my section on GM stuff for making NPCs and such, but I have a pretty good chunk of space at the end, so I'm probably going to revisit it. Still playing with layouts and such too. Anyhow, here's my space game that's a mashup of Fate and Cortex, with the added twist that players can control any player-character on their turn.

PocketMod Version
Pre-shrink Version for easier reading on the computer.

lord_daeloth fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 7, 2014

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

I really like this in that it is generic enough to be just about anything and has just a mild bit of crunchiness to it with the actions and resolution. You are really cutting it close on space, but if you find a way to do it, explaining discoveries just a smidge more might be good. Fairly clear what you're going for, but I could see it leading to some confusion. I might use your final version of this as filler gaming in the future, great job.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Alright, shrunk down the margins (can't believe I missed that) and ended up with all kinds of space to play with. Added in a small bit about character advancement and a quick checklist for the GM to build a scene. Fixed some typos and such. This is probably the final version.

WE ARE ALL STAR STUFF - A PocketMod RPG of Starships and their Crews
Its a Space-game mashup of the FATE and CORTEX system where everyone can control any of the Player Characters on their turn.

Screen-friendly version

And now I have a burning desire to start churning out these one-page games. Already have an idea file for a DBZ inspired arena fighter and a Twilight Imperium inspired space empire game. Make it stop...

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Paolomania posted:

For those of us not going with the pocket-mod, what is a good unshrunk font size limit? I'm currently at 10 point which is reasonably readable, but even shrinking a few sections down to 8 point would allow for a bunch of extra content due to the savings on both line height and characters per line.

I'm not the judge, so my input may not be valid here, but when I was experimenting 8 point was more than readable. Heck, with a good layout you might even be able to get away with 6 point. You can also gain a smidge more space by reducing the space between lines and reducing your margins to the minimum print safe level (just set it to narrow margins if you're using Microsoft Office).

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Something Else posted:

Hey, I wrote my first RPG for this! It's called You and Your Dumb Friends and it's about how I hate you.

It's not pretty and it's fast & loose, but it is a game. I'd love any feedback!

Evil Mastermind posted:

There is no way this would ever blow up in people's faces.

Yeah... even if you and all your friends are really tight and non-babyish, you know at some point someones going to come up with something that hits a bad chord. That said, if it goes off well sounds like it'd be loads of fun! I love the way you work out a system that is both gm-less and kinda has that party game feel so you can talk non-gaming people into giving it a go.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

^^^^^

You didn't set it to public access there buddy.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Something Else posted:

I might go full-on accelerationist with it and make the IRL conflict resolution mechanic just a fistfight.

Two players square off, acting player gets a free shot to the body on challenging player, other players determine success or failure based on reaction of challenging player. What could go wrong?

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

my game is called HELL VICE MERCILESS. It's a hotline miami inspired game where you yell at your friends and take 5 second turns to the beat of whatever 80s inspired murdertheque you can find. It's not at all ready but initial playtests were pretty beastly fun.

it is here!

this is the first draft.

This, this is what these contests are for. Seriously, clean this up and you have something truly awesome here. Hell, leave it as is and you still have something awesome.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

BashfulBanana posted:

Conebonwah nerds. I don't know why you insist on roleplaying all these weak losers that Goku could totally beat up. In my game you can make strong deep characters who listen to real music like Linkin Park.

This isn't even my Final Form
Pocket Mod
Screen Readable
Original Script

(Honestly having some trouble formatting this as a pdf.)

YES! When this contest started I really wanted to do a ridiculous anime game like this. I couldn't come up with a good balanced way to do powers and it ended up far too complicated (though it did have a sort of secondary hp total that I called the Shame Track, for when someone got in a sick burn or you did something shameful) and I scrapped it. So glad you did this. Probably a silly question, but would you mind someone running a game of this on the forums?

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Hey, I know I said I'd do this a while ago, but I put up a thread for BashfulBanana's Final Form here. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Woooo! Congrats guys and/or gals. You all really deserve it. Honestly I'd love to see more than one of the ideas in this thread turned into full fledged products. And thanks for running an awesome contest, even with the delays, haha.

• Locked thread