Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

For my submission, I have distilled my generic heartbreaker down to a one-page document. This was a fun and challenging exercise in economy of writing and design and how to capture those elements which I felt were most essential to the style of gameplay I am going for. Anyways, I present to you ...

Some One-Page Heartbreaker

e: fixed a numbering typo, reordered a step, reduced some text to fit in a few words about end of arc
e: added Bad Effect to things GM can do per-round
e: added in subtitle and author
e: fixed numbering in Get Started section
e: reduced goal stress following pbp testing

Paolomania fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Yeah there are definitely details I just couldn't shoe-horn in. Any sort of advice or example like "mounts and vehicles are just Areas that move" was right out.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

For those of us not going with the pocket-mod, what is a good unshrunk font size limit? I'm currently at 10 point which is reasonably readable, but even shrinking a few sections down to 8 point would allow for a bunch of extra content due to the savings on both line height and characters per line.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

The first rule of You and Your Dumb Friends is you do not talk about You and Your Dumb Friends.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Putting up my Google Doc since I keep making edits (current PDF still linked above). I'm also playing around with a draft that has 8-point font sections to see if it adds anything of value.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I am amidst wedding planning with wedding and vacation to follow. If judging is still underway around mid-june I'll try to chip in.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks for effort, even if its belated. Reviewing all these seems like a big workload.

quote:

SOME ONE-PAGE HEARTBREAKER
... The dramatic resolution setup where you have to get 20 “goal points” to win is cool, but the “Antagonists/Big Bad” scene types seem to only be completable by people who are specialized in Fighting, unless I’m missing something...
If you continue on to Step 3 of "Fight Someone" the option to "Take A Risk" can yield a "Good Effect" which the player may choose to be 1d6 stress to an antagonist or scene goal (aka Big Bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

PM sent! Thank you for electing SOPH as a winner, I didn't expect a generic system to stand against such thematic and evocative competition! For anyone that is interested in the scene driven mechanics, development continues on the full system (Some Heartbreaker) and I post my notes to this thread.

• Locked thread