Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Most people in the Reserves need the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Show them a sailor backs down to no man in the ancient game of gay chicken

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

After a few of us in my office watched the PBS doc, Carrier. We kept calling each other shipmate for weeks. None of us were ever in the Navy

Did you complain about people hydrating your brightworks

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Sup just postin' to say I'm still out :toot:

:toot:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You can definitely take more than 30 days of terminal. Whether the command will approve it is another matter. I thought everything but base pay (i.e. BAH, sea/sub pay) stopped after thirty days but I remember there was some disagreement on that last time it got brought up.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Hey dude, I live in San Diego and I'm about to go to bootcamp to be NAT IS.

Like literally, I'm leaving in 5 minutes. Later goons, I love all you crazy fuckers.

Fair winds and following seas

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

:byodood:PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH MY BRIGHTWRKS SHITMATE

SHIPMATE MY BRIGHTWORKS ARE NOT THIRSTY, THEY DO NOT REQUIRE HYDRATION

(I don't think they have any of that poo poo there any more)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

The fifth week of Navy Boot Camp *USED* to be "Service Week." This was the week that recruits helped to keep Great Lakes clean, most especially in the kitchen (except, in the Navy, it's known as a "Galley.") The Galley at Great Lakes takes a lot of cleaning up. In 1988 the Galley served 9.45 million meals, consisting of 146,000 pounds of ground beef, 447,000 loaves of bread, 261,000 gallons of milk, and 223,000 pounds of chicken.

However, in October of 2003, the Navy eliminated "Service Week." All of this "cleaning up" is now done by civilian contractors. The recommendation to eliminate Service Week was made by the Navy Training Board of Advisors, which is a group of Training School Commanders and Command Master Chiefs from the Fleet, who meet periodically to review Navy Training.

The elimination of Service Week has created more than 30 additional hours that can be used for recruit training and administrative tasks. The Navy is using this additional time during week #5 to add the following:

Increasing the number of live rounds fired with the M-9, 9mm handgun from five rounds to 40 rounds.
Firing five “frangible” training rounds on a Mossberg shotgun.
Extensive anti-terrorism/force-protection briefings on threat conditions, history of terrorism and steps sailors can take to present less of a potential target.
Computer classes and familiarization with the Navy Knowledge Online Web site.
Eight one-hour mentoring sessions, with RTC staffers and a RDC.

Also boot camp's like seven weeks long now WTF ~shakes cane~

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
With the starship buildings they don't even march so I have no idea when they learn all that critical cadence

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Laranzu posted:

I dunno there are probably like scenario based training about how to not sexually assault people.

It's VR based, you have to log onto NKO to take it and the login is 28 of the 30 hours

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The weirdest thing that I can remember from boot camp is while the rest of the division was running laps for PT one day the RDCs had me sing Baby Got Back over the PA but as a country song. I don't begin to remember how that situation came about.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

That combination of 2 boats is going to be the new prototype in Charleston (they want me to go there, I am lolin at that)

Did they ever commit to that? Last I heard they were still thinking of using the Miami.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

Yep, they said so in both the HEY GO TO PROTOTYPE/long term letter, since Miami is 'structurally unsound' or some garbage (I'm honestly shocked Miami didn't' get turned into a MTS, even with it failing subsafe it could have been strengthened enough to be another floating trainer.

Oh yeah, googling it says they decommed it two weeks ago and it's headed for the scrapyards. Kind of a shame, the Miami was always one of the happier boats on an unhappy waterfront. They were also (through no fault of their own) part of the reason we ran aground, so

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you're the old man you should wear red shoes covered in sequins to gently caress with everyone just because.

Or high-heeled pirate boots that go up to your knees.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Schlabbalabba posted:

It's just a less common plant. Be like teaching everyone how to throw a fastball and then sending 3/4ths of the people to play soccer. Fundamentally it's all the same though right? Hot rock?

I'm not going to go into the differences between first-flight and I-boats but I doubt any of them matter for MTS suitability, and the engine rooms of all submarines get backfitted / updated enough to render it irrelevant anyway. I can see how there would be interest in having the two MTSs having similar equipment for certain systems (I'm being vague on purpose here but it's nothing interesting) but again without knowing which hulls got which updates it doesn't tell you much. I strongly suspect it just comes down to core life, La Jolla and San Fran both got new cores around 2000-2002 while Miami I think was due to get her first one replaced when she burned. That or it straight up would've been too expensive to make Miami safe for people to be belowdecks again.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
My take is that if you think in stressful scenarios (i.e poo poo goes wrong way out on deployment or god forbid we ever get shot at) he's going to turn from dead weight to outright liability, then do what you have to to get rid of him. If he freezes up when things get loud and flashy, he's a liability. It's the mil, it's not finishing school and it's not daycare, if the guy's unsuited for it do what you have to to cut him loose and get the billet filled properly. You're not doing him a favor building a hidey-hole to spin fuses in all day, and you're certainly not helping the rest of the division.

Obviously talk to your chief, department chief, goat locker and other LPOs and make sure you're making the right assessment, but living with situations that are fundamentally broken is the basis for 90% of the bitching in this thread that isn't shore corpsmen whining.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

For fucks sake dude don't let Representative Duckworth hear about your gold brickin nuclear rear end

I wouldn't worry I'm sure he's already got a leg up on her

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Snowden you were born in the wrong era, you'd have been an amazing vaudeville comedian.

I think I was genetically engineered for the borscht belt circuit

Schlabbalabba posted:

Haaaaaaay guys! Let's come in at noon so we can wait until sunset to go LCAC'n...

LCAC'n into the sunset sounds pretty rad but I know Navy will suck all joy out of it. When doing stuff like that, if you have any chance, get some pictures so you can look at them years later and forget the unpleasant parts

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Hartford 768 boat.

I lost most of my pics in a HD crash, which sucks. I had a few pretty good vids of dolphins jumping in front of the boat I wish I'd saved.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I pulled strings to get a maneuvering watch spot up in the sail as a phone talker, so I was up there all the time. Qualified lookout, just for laughs, when the Navy thought we needed to double up up there for force protection; I got my qual card signed complete on the way up the ladder and we promptly drove into a mountain we didn't see. :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
An anti-rape blocktopus would confuse the poo poo out of the Japanese

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Christoff posted:

Why do people willingly invite their families on tiger cruises I just don't get it

Subs do really cool poo poo on tiger cruises and I would've loved to show my dad or someone what it was like, a little. Plus at least on subs they're like only like three day outings.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

poo poo. All they got on the boat was a cctv view from the periscope as the boat "dove".

Our captains would try to do the rowdiest angles and dangles they could, and pretty much everything was done two bells higher than it needed to be. I'm sure we shot water slugs too.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

For those of you not versed in life on a carrier in the PNW, tiger cruises are usually two tiered. On the way home from deployment, one Tiger Cruise will be from Pearl Harbor to San Diego, the other is San Diego to Everett/Bremerton. To make room, a lot of the guys with family can choose to leave out of Hawaii and take the first leave period. However, the cruise is chill as hell and its basically 10 days of making sure everything is order before you head out on leave as soon as you get back.

It ends up being close to a month of not dealing with day-to-day navy poo poo, and was pretty cool.

I am unable to wrap my head around a deployment that doesn't end in an ORSE

genderstomper58 posted:

we did a lil fake emergency blow during ours, those are so lame

Especially if you're the putz who has to ride the HPACs for hours afterwards

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Schlabbalabba posted:

I would periodically go topside to collect my sanity. I would stand in the smoke pit and not smoke. Called it a "fresh air break", but Chief didn't like them at first until I told him I needed to leave work so I could buy a pack of cigarettes so I didn't have to actually do anything while I was there... He really didn't like that. Then he realized 3/4ths of the division spent about 3/4ths of non-raining work days smoking.

I did this. I'd also try to be the guy to do the cal shop / test gear run etc to get some fresh air, or just get lunch off-hull when I could. Screw being belowdecks all day in port. Mind I'd also be raring to start the day's work at like 0630 so by lunchtime I was generally done with the day's non-busy work anyway.

We had a couple officers who dipped, although at least one was prior enlisted. The submarine air was so full of oil and amine and other crap, and sub life so unhealthy in general, that the argument that smoking or tobacco use was bad for you sorta fell on deaf ears.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Cole posted:

What if smoking gets you out of work

Shipmate if you've got time to lean

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

What's a coner?

Submarine non-nuke

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Schlabbalabba posted:

So, on two boats I noticed that nukes drink a ton of milk. Coincidence or is there some crazy overabundance of milk in charleston

Nukes make the water.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

I just can't believe that dude went 20 years in the Navy without dealing with unidentified ejaculate

I'm kinda curious what sort of vessel has eighty dudes in a single berthing compartment and a master chief that doesn't know that number by heart. Carrier? If he hadn't said 'first-classes' I would've assumed it was a gator freighter and he was addressing Marines.

Told this before but we had a guy who raped all the vacuum cleaners. He wasn't even particularly sneaky about it, if he saw someone bring a new wet-dry vac down the hatch he'd loiter around waiting for the unboxing, laughing "fresh fish." It got to the point where people were hiding their personal bilge-sucker hoses just to keep them unsullied, and he took pride in letting you know when yours had been violated.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah multiple people are going to get fired over an MRG blowing up if the investigation shows the slightest bit of negligence on the crew's part. CHENG, CO, possibly XO, and the MPA are all certainly sweating loving bullets.

The angle I always look at this stuff is, there are probably multiple hulls that are going to see added underway time / extended deployments because of something as trivial as one dipshit blazing logs.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

blowin' up a red gear sounds like a good way to get featured on the front page of navy times tho

In ManMythLegend's defense he just got there

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Octopode posted:

Still ended up making O-6 and retiring though, so I guess the system worked?

Short of outright rape and murder I'm not sure what a CO can do to lose retirement. Our grounding was rather directly due to the captain's negligence (according to the investigation, not just in reality) and while I don't think they let him have full bird they definitely let him drive a desk until 20.

Rather shittily, they did not extend the same courtesy to the XO, despite him doing everything in his power to prevent the incident.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

Before his last ORSE, and after a 6-month deployment of painting, cleaning, and drilling, our CO gave us a pep talk. He basically said the only way he wouldn't make O6 was if the boat ran aground and that our ORSE score wasn't super important. Just pass.

I'm sure the eng screening for XO probably felt differently.

That being said, it's kind of an open secret that the first ORSE a new captain gets will be a ballbuster, while his last one will be a pushover. Disregard that the captain himself is almost completely uninvolved with any part of the inspection. It's that same "push the evals so we can show continuous improvement" mentality reaching at least to the O-6 level.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You should also be able to shenanigans a torn ACL into well more than 30% disability if you so desire.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Only takes one working ACL to kick her to the curb

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Holy poo poo what an idiot. Of course it's a loving CT.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Octopode posted:

This is why your phone's contact list should adhere to the one-up/one-down rule. Much less chance of drunk texting way above your paygrade.

May Navy Thread: I Deleted The Text To The Commodore But My Dick Still Went Through

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

LordNad posted:

This is the Navy thread, so you know what we expect from you. Asylum isn't free.

Penciling Shipmate Cole into the watchbill for the barrel

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
We had a dude pass out during a drill while wearing full FFE/SCBA. Motherfucker was like 6'6" and an old senior chief with their slackened height/weight standards and we literally could not get that guy through the watertight door without breaking out the rigging gear. If it had been any kind of real emergency he would've been dead on the floor, plus the missing man / rescue efforts would've pulled down the rest of the DC and potentially endangered the ship.

We've talked about this before but PFT standards that are mostly so we don't look bad in our uniforms to the flag officers from the other services don't do poo poo to make sure we can actually do our jobs. That may not mean much for clinic corpsmen but for anyone on a ship and certainly FMF corpsmen and the like, there really should be a 'combat PFT' and there do need to be more stringent requirements than 'can fit through the hatch and mostly into a rack.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://call-for-papers.sas.upenn.edu/node/55944

quote:

Dating at least to the sixteenth century, and taking place on various kinds of vessel, ‘Crossing the Line’ ceremonies were staged when a ship passed the equator, usually from north to south. Those who were doing so for the first time (‘polliwogs’ or ‘Johnny Raws’) were initiated into the Kingdom of Neptune by experienced sailors (‘shellbacks’) in a hazing ritual that could be deeply humiliating and unpleasant, but could also afford a strange satisfaction. Subjected to head-shaving and ducking, and asked to crawl through and swallow foul substances, sea-farers took part in a ritual that involved cross-dressing, oath swearing, and various forms of pageantry. The ceremony both inverted and strengthened shipboard hierarchies, with young naval officers often initiated by those they outranked.

What did this ceremony aim to achieve? How seriously should it be taken? This workshop, run by the ‘Perspective from the Sea’ research group at the University of Bristol, invites participants to consider this shipboard ceremony within a number of contexts. These will include (but are not limited to):

• On-board rituals and ceremonies, particularly those taking place in deep water
• Homosocial bonding rituals/ceremonies
• Border-crossing and transgression
• Similar ceremonies involving the subversion of normal hierarchies (i.e. the Boy Bishops)
• Literary representations of the ceremony
• Street theatre and civic pageantry
• The carnivalesque, saturnalia and clowning
• The role of tedium in generating seafaring rituals and superstitions
• The crossing of other lines (i.e. the arctic circle, the Pillars of Hercules, and the date-line)
• Sadism, masochism, and homoeroticism
• The ceremony as a ritual of re-birth

• Locked thread