Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The fact that he is a lawyer is actually irrelevant. Any person who aids the instruments of the people's subjugation is a traitor or an enemy. As a lawyer he obviously cannot be a 'traitor' of the people but as an outsider who has acted against them he must be termed enemy. His actual profession is irrelevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

LordPants posted:

When you get admitted to practice I'll give you a call I have some money I want embezzled.

The word you are looking for is laundered. :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The word you are looking for is laundered. :)

I'm not a drug dealer son, I'm just going to expense for legal work he isn't going to do and we'll split it 50/50.

edit: Look what you made me do! I've spelled out my scheme. Thanks, buddy. Also it's not technically my money its the money of the corporation I work for.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Auspol: embezzle your son's milk money on pony avs

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
ABC hardly ever allow comments on news articles (as opposed to opinion pieces). Why the gently caress have they opened comments on the article on the high court win for people who don't identify as male or female? Furthermore, why the gently caress did I read them?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

LordPants posted:

edit: And of course Admin law Best law 420 appeals erryday.

Truth.

Also, I really need to get up to speed with this Lawyer X stuff.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

LordPants posted:

When you get admitted to practice I'll give you a call I have some money I want embezzled.

At which point I'll advise you that I can't represent you and (if I believe an indictable offense is in the offing) report the matter to the appropriate authorities, not continue to allow you to believe our conversations are in confidence.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Also I'll probably say that I'm not really the kind of lawyer who deals with "money" per se.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

At which point I'll advise you that I can't represent you and (if I believe an indictable offense is in the offing) report the matter to the appropriate authorities, not continue to allow you to believe our conversations are in confidence.

Listen mate are you a team player? Are you going to do what's best for the firm? We believe in being winners here. Are you a winner?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
Birdstrike works for the ATO, iirc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Those On My Left posted:

Truth.

Also, I really need to get up to speed with this Lawyer X stuff.

The details in the Australian are actually kinda scary.

quote:

It is alleged the lawyer was first registered as a police informant as early as 1996 and helped police until 2010. The lawyer, who is still registered to practise in Victoria, has denied being a police informant and any wrongdoing.

Rob Stary, a high-profile criminal lawyer who represented Mokbel in his major drug cases, said if a defence lawyer had been used as a police informant, it would create a “nightmare’’ for the justice system.

Mr Stary called for a royal commission to restore public confidence.

Any inquiry would examine whether criminal trials were compromised and senior police corrupted through the use of the informant and whether police were justified in offering rich inducements to secure information and testimony.

It would also scrutinise the merits of a large, confidential payment made by police to the lawyer after the relationship soured.

The revelations about the lawyer, first reported in the Herald Sun, will rekindle speculation about whether Mokbel was tipped off about pending murder charges before he fled to Greece and, if so, who provided the information.

Mr Stary said Victoria’s Office of Public Prosecutions should review all trials in which the lawyer acted and potentially provided information to police. “If they have acted as registered informer since 1996 and proceeded to represent people, people will be asking, have I been compromised?’’ he said.

“Something needs to be said about the role of the police in all this. For years we have been calling for a royal commission. You have got to look at the impact of police corruption on the justice system and how things have been compromised.’’

A spokesman for Victorian Attorney-General Robert Clark said the allegations were a matter for the state’s Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission but the opposition says IBAC operates under an “absurd” framework.

:staredog:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/judge-intervenes-over-herald-sun-story-on-gangland-lawyer/story-e6frg996-1226871953772

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
In news that will not stop the presses, notorious shitlord Joe Hildebrand is still a shitlord.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I was legit thinking of that Nate than Lever joke today and I haven't thought of it in ages.

Is Milky my Tyler Durden?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

doctawrong posted:

I was legit thinking of that Nate than Lever joke today and I haven't thought of it in ages.

Is Milky my Tyler Durden?

Are you his?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:psyboom:

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

In news that will not stop the presses, notorious shitlord Joe Hildebrand is still a shitlord.

drat, I came to post this, and publicly rue not punching him in his stupid ugly loving face.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
welp

quote:

Dear Mr [redacted],

You may have seen media coverage that the Australian Government has announced that it will proceed with the sale of Medibank.

I wanted to personally let you know that Medibank welcomes the Government's announcement and we see this as a great opportunity.

I'd also like to reassure you as a Medibank member there is no change.

Regardless of who owns Medibank, we remain focused on providing an excellent experience for our customers. It's business as usual for us and this won't change.

We've been dedicated to looking after the health of our members for over 37 years and will continue striving to keep healthcare affordable and to improve the health of all Australians.

We make the commitment to you that we will remain focused on your needs.

The Government has said that subject to market conditions, Medibank will be sold through an initial public offering and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange in the 2014-15 financial year. The precise timing and structure of the sale are yet to be determined.

The Department of Finance has established a webpage with frequently asked questions. Medibank will also provide updates and information at this webpage.

I look forward to keeping you updated as we hear more.

Regards,

:(

The Liberal party is why we can't have nice things.

Private health care is a luxury item in a country with health care as good as ours in my personal opinion, you're most likely not going to die on the street from a treatable illness if you don't have it is what I'm getting at
unless you're not white and live in the NT

i got banned fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 2, 2014

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

After "Dumb, Drunk and Racist" I thought he'd be Auspol's champion?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Dumb, Drunk and Racist was good despite Hilderbrand, not because of him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

i got banned posted:

:(

The Liberal party is why we can't have nice things.

Private health care is a luxury item in a country with health care as good as ours in my personal opinion, you're most likely not going to die on the street from a treatable illness if you don't have it is what I'm getting at
unless you're not white and live in the NT

Be nice if Medicare covered things like ambulances and dentistry though.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
In a perfect world we would also help those that need a leg up and not stomp on their face repeatedly for eternity.

But nope.

Healthcare (ambulance and dentistry included) should be a basic living right in this day and age, not something dictated to you by wealth or happen stance. Every citizen pays equally for the right to use the service when it is needed.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

:swoon:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

"On September 25, 2012, Eltahawy was arrested for spray painting an American Freedom Defense Initiative advertisement in a New York City Subway station that read: "In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad."[10]"

Holy poo poo America

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

"On September 25, 2012, Eltahawy was arrested for spray painting an American Freedom Defense Initiative advertisement in a New York City Subway station that read: "In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad."[10]"

Holy poo poo America

She was pretty amazing on Q&A - made one of the only 2 episodes of that show I've seen in the past 2 years (the other being the Jakarta episode)

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Yeah she was upsetting a few people, it owned a lot. Basically if you upset an Australian you're doing good things.

She also got an Egyptian dude in the audience riled up who was some official spokesperson for something or other. He didn't like the cut of her jib AT ALL.

i got banned fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 2, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Be nice if Medicare covered things like ambulances and dentistry though.

And psych hospitals which don't put people with mood disorders in with floridly psychotic people.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Well at least we're not using electoshock therapy anymore. And thank god it's not on children if we were still usi...

...oh

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-23/concern-over-legislation-allowing-shock-therapy-on-children/5339362

i got banned fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 2, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

what's this about?

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

what's this about?

Q&A this week. She had the termerity to suggest that perhaps the asylum seeker issue is actually just a manifestation of Australians being afraid of brown people swamping their country.

Also, she swears a lot, which also offended lots of conservative columnists.

It's an eminently watchable episode - as you can tell by the howls of outrage from the Bolts and Blairs of the world

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 2, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If the state of Australian politics doesn't make you swear you are loving well beyond help.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

i got banned posted:

Well at least we're not using electoshock therapy anymore. And thank god it's not on children if we were still usi...

...oh

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-23/concern-over-legislation-allowing-shock-therapy-on-children/5339362

On CHILDREN??? Good psychiatrists won't even MEDICATE a child unless their illness is so acute that they're at imminent risk of suicide, because we have no loving idea how psychotropic drugs affect the developing brain. loving hell.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Typical whining pinko softskins crying big crocodile tears because some kid has to get its band-aid ripped off. And what do they suggest in exchange? Throwing hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars down the drain so that some snotnosed brat can get a magical painless band-aid? It's bl-- oh... Hm. Mr. Speaker, may I be excused for a moment? I've just been advised of some rather disturbing news regarding this legislation. Apparently some staffer in my office forgot to add the clause excepting white children from this law. Of course it cannot be passed in its current form. The government would never ever support a law that condoned the use of such barbaric treatment on poor vulnerable children

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
It's been pointed out to me that Australia has reached a new level of capitalism, by seeing that there was a monopoly on state sponsored torture and death, and brought the wonders of the free market by creating competition. Which means that asylum seekers now have choice. Be tortured and killed in their home country, or be tortured and killed in an Australian sponsored death camp.

It's like a liberals wet dream.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon

Fruity Gordo posted:

On CHILDREN??? Good psychiatrists won't even MEDICATE a child unless their illness is so acute that they're at imminent risk of suicide, because we have no loving idea how psychotropic drugs affect the developing brain. loving hell.

What's the worst that could happen?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

i got banned posted:

What's the worst that could happen?

A plague of accidental electro-lobotomies and 10 years later a sharp spike in LNP votes

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I once worked with a child who'd been on lithium since they were 6. :smith: When I got diagnosed I was so frightened of being prescribed lithium that I would cry myself to sleep.

TBF the crying myself to sleep bit was also probably a little bit of the manic depression. But gently caress lithium.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Funny you should mention lobotomies. Howard Dully was the first thing that reminded me of.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Electric zombie Liberal voters sounds like the best case kind of dystopian misery future scenario at this rate. Also the catchiest.

Fruity Gordo posted:

I once worked with a child who'd been on lithium since they were 6. :smith: When I got diagnosed I was so frightened of being prescribed lithium that I would cry myself to sleep.

TBF the crying myself to sleep bit was also probably a little bit of the manic depression. But gently caress lithium.

I like feeling so balanced that I can't feel any emotions, truly the halcyon days of psychology.

My mate got put on SSRI's and long story short he moved to his extended families farm away from prying eyes (and a more peaceful, relaxing setting) just to ween himself off them because you can't just prescribe people drugs for mental things at the drop of a hat because *WONDER DRUG*

Also his extended family treated him differently once they knew he was trying to stop using them (they didn't even know he was on them to start with). Depression in Australia never gets talked about, no one knows how to deal with people who are dealing with it and meds are commonly thrown at people who have it as a cure all without treating the underlying problems at all.
God forbid anyone has depression and doesn't just "get over it mate"

My other friend tried to physically take her own life on SSRI's.

i got banned fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 2, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

i got banned posted:

Electric zombie Liberal voters sounds like the best case kind of dystopian misery future scenario at this rate. Also the catchiest.

They'll be easier to chase down and cart off to reeducation camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Funny you should mention lobotomies. Howard Dully was the first thing that reminded me of.

Rosemary Kennedy for me. It's kind of a question of, 1. why do we need it, and 2. how much do you trust your government?

Considering the way things are going, it seems like there wouldn't really be much of a distance between:

1. Legalise electroshock 'therapy'
2. Precedent of using electroshock to remedy 'problem' children
3. Minorities and orphans are now 'problem' children
4. Electrocute brown kids in special 'rehabilitation' camps

• Locked thread