Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

BrosephofArimathea posted:

It ambles all over the place like Troy Buswell driving home.

quote:

"The bloke was dolled up to the nines and he clearly couldn't stand on his own two feet. He was taking up two lanes, nearly hitting everything on the side as well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Don't worry, they suggested that a separate tax review should maybe consider the $30b flowing to the rich in superannuation concessions whilst they went after Medicare, state assets and low-income earners.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol, they want to sell the Australian Mint too

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nibbles141 posted:

lol, they want to sell the Australian Mint too
I think they took "sell off anything that makes money" too literally.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

:thejoke:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Endman posted:

:barf:

I don't want to live here any more. :smith:

Where would you go though? Isn't this wave of "economic rationalisation" unfortunately happening across pretty much all Western economies?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think they took "sell off anything that makes money" too literally.

lmao

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

schmen posted:

Goddamn this country

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ragingsheep posted:

Where would you go though? Isn't this wave of "economic rationalisation" unfortunately happening across pretty much all Western economies?

Collective farm. Secede from Australia. Alternatively: Kill my are self.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The european middle ages was a pretty great time for all involved, none of this 'healthcare' or 'education' stuff.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Endman posted:

Collective farm. Secede from Australia. Alternatively: Kill my are self.

With no free/cheap drugs I think killing our are selves is going to be a very popular strategy.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
if half of this stuff goes through and Tony gets a second term, gonna start recruiting for a communist party of queensland from those near the poverty line.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

With no free/cheap drugs I think killing our are selves is going to be a very popular strategy.

Suicide for poors will be made illegal. Otherwise, Gina won't have enough people working her mines.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Can't loving wait for the next poll results

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wonder if there is still some free places at the Hutt River Province

Murodese posted:

If they are poo poo for the Coalition, the NewsCorp papers will bury the results near the obituaries

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I think the best part, aside from shipping kids to the mines if they don't get a job as soon as they graduate, is cutting the HECS repayment threshold by 50% and then charging market interest rates. Because, as the US have shown us, a deregulated tertiary education sector and student loans are a brilliant combination.

Also, you can't have state based income taxes. We sorted that one out seventy years back. Unless you wanna try and push that through a referendum.

Ragingsheep posted:

Suicide for poors will be made illegal. Otherwise, Gina won't have enough people working her mines.

Until the Rhineheart-Abbott Suspension Bridge between Broome and Denpesar comes online.

Nibbles141 posted:

Can't wait to see if News Ltd dusts of those class warfare headlines

NOT AGAIN: you won't believe what ten things Tony has cut this time!

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 1, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Murodese posted:

LNP: 58% (+10)
Suicide rates up 10%

Conclusion, people vote LNP then kill themselves.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Can't wait to see if News Ltd dusts of those class warfare headlines

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
It is my opinion that they've hosed up tremendously badly here, and I'm not sure why they didn't avoid it. They pretty much perfected the art of "whatever gets said first is what people remember", and this is what people are going to remember for the next decade. First law of motherfucking holes, wat.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

News.com.au has an amusing headline combo:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Murodese posted:

It is my opinion that they've hosed up tremendously badly here, and I'm not sure why they didn't avoid it. They pretty much perfected the art of "whatever gets said first is what people remember", and this is what people are going to remember for the next decade. First law of motherfucking holes, wat.

Libs recent strategy is to leak policy and then gauge public reaction. Most of the recommendations of this audit were already known, hell they stacked the panel to get it. They want to see what they can get away with.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

They want it all, and they want it now or in six months when things have moved on.

The LNP are going to be out if power for a generation when the GFC 2 hits. We might get a Roosevelt and a new deal but who knows.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

You Am I posted:

I wonder if there is still some free places at the Hutt River Province

I stopped there for a laugh a few months ago on the way back form Kalbarri.

You can camp for a few bucks a night on his land with a powered site.
I'm pretty sure he'd even make you up a passport if you wanted to become a "citizen" there. You could ask for a job as his driver or something, he has a pretty sweet Rolls Royce that he brags about to visiting tourists.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The point of having external commissions / reviews / inquiries / circle-jerks is so you have a bit of distance between you and the proposals, and so you're not obligated to follow any of them. It's not a new thing, and to some extent it's not even a bad thing. It's not like Rudd followed through on much of the 2020 conclusions or the Henry Tax review either.

Though the State income tax stuff is a bit left field. I genuinely doubt that's something a lot of high-up Liberals want, even at the State level.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Nibbles141 posted:

Libs recent strategy is to leak policy and then gauge public reaction. Most of the recommendations of this audit were already known, hell they stacked the panel to get it. They want to see what they can get away with.

It's not like you ever ask for a report/commission/inquiry/whatever where the outcome isn't going to be what you want though....

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-01/commission-of-audit-report-released-by-federal-government/5423556 posted:

The commission says in its report that it has "not undertaken detailed costings of these recommendations"

webmeister posted:

It's not like you ever ask for a report/commission/inquiry/whatever where the outcome isn't going to be what you want though....

The Liberals in NSW sure learned that lesson.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Though the State income tax stuff is a bit left field. I genuinely doubt that's something a lot of high-up Liberals want, even at the State level.
Unless they're preempting Labor returning to the other four states and want to have a knife ready to stick in. It's really hard not to see this as some petty act of revenge.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ragingsheep posted:

The Liberals in NSW sure learned that lesson.

No detailed costings? :laffo:

So the difference between this and the IPA wishlist is....

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Ahahahaha there's literally a recommendation to cut the minimum wage, because then obviously the job creators can hire more slaves people to toil in the salt mines feel the dignity of work and shack loose the shackles of government dependence

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
no no no, it's :airquote: contained :airquote:, totally different to cutting it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WebDog posted:

Unless they're preempting Labor returning to the other four states and want to have a knife ready to stick in. It's really hard not to see this as some petty act of revenge.

It just seems to go completely the other way from things like Howard's GST, where the States handed over a lot of revenue raising power to the Feds.

My girlfriend pointed this out too:

Robert Garran posted:

[On the 1934 constitutional conference]

Special attention was given to financial matters. All States were dissatisfied with their dependence on Commonwealth grants, and also with the amount of taxation revenue returned to them by the Commonwealth Treasury. Some States suggested that the Commonwealth could vacate the field of income tax, but when the Commonwealth called their bluff and seriously offered this, there was a marked cooling off. The States have never been blind to the political convenience of letting the Commonwealth have the unpopular task of imposing taxation whilst the States enjoy the privilege of spending the money. Their complaints, therefore, though very vocal, were seldom pressed home. In the end nothing came of the proposal. I contributed the following stanza, which does not appear in the official report, but which Mr R.G.Casey, the Commonwealth Treasurer, laughingly said to me was the only positive result of the Conference:
We thank you for the offer of the cow,
But we can't milk, and so we answer now—
We answer with a loud resounding chorus:
Please keep the cow, and do the milking for us.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
If you want a vision of the future, imagine Amanda Vanstone stamping on a bulk billing clinic - forever.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

rudatron posted:

no no no, it's :airquote: contained :airquote:, totally different to cutting it.

Why contain it? S'cool.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

webmeister posted:

No detailed costings? :laffo:

So the difference between this and the IPA wishlist is....

Holy poo poo what is the loving point of this if it's not even properly costed?

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

rudatron posted:

Contained all the way to $480 per week from ~$680 per week (according to Fairfax), totally different

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

Holy poo poo what is the loving point of this if it's not even properly costed?
Also what base figures are they working off? The MYEFO? The audit looks like they got stuck with the fact figures haven't been locked in so they had to work off a very grand assumption.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

i have no loving idea how you guys retain the will to post

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

Gotta vent somewhere.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Jesus loving wept.

Endman posted:

Why contain it? S'cool.

NOT EVEN THIS CAN CHEER ME UP

Those On My Left posted:

Those On My Left posted:

Those On My Left posted:

Those On My Left posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Face
Sep 6, 2006
who stole my steaks?
I was informed last week I'll be retrenched on June 30.:suicide: This budget and the general 'gently caress poor people' sentiment is really messing with my zen/hope-for-the-future thing.

Keep posting peeps, knowing I'm not the only person who thinks we've jumped in a hand basket to hell is pretty comforting :shobon:

• Locked thread