Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Anyone mind if I whip up the May OP? :buddy:

Kegslayer posted:

Holy poo poo what is the loving point of this if it's not even properly costed?

I'm going with this:

Nibbles141 posted:

Libs recent strategy is to leak policy and then gauge public reaction. Most of the recommendations of this audit were already known, hell they stacked the panel to get it. They want to see what they can get away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Isn't the entire premise of this colossal shitsmear to deliver a 1% surplus by 2023/24? How the gently caress do they divine that if it's not costed?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/immigration-detention-centre-services-should-be-reduced-audit-report?CMP=soc_568

ho lee poo poo

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Ettin posted:

Here's the May OP.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

How about shutting the loving things down? That would save a bit of loving money, you fascist fucks. gently caress.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

Here's the May OP.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

this was very funny

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ettin posted:

Please do, I really liked your Manus Island one. Kegslayer's might be hard to top, though.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Panic attacks are fun woo poo poo is hosed

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Why are monthly threads necessary? It's irritating to update my bookmark every month and it serves no purpose.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

"[C]onsideration should be given to relaxing rules relating to ‘improper discrimination’ that prevent health funds from charging different prices based on a person’s individual characteristics"

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
edit ^^^: A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Amethyst posted:

Why are monthly threads necessary? It's irritating to update my bookmark every month and it serves no purpose.
The mods started enforcing that rule when auspol ignored Xandu a while ago (I forget exactly what over), so they made all the regional political threads monthly only.

You were here for that shitfest weren't you?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hahah how does this have anything to do with a budget surplus whatsoever?

rudatron posted:

You were here for that shitfest weren't you?

I don't remember it

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

This is going to be the same thing they have in the USA where anyone with any kind of preexisting condition can't get insurance and they just end up bankrupting their entire family or dying, right?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I still like to believe that compromising medicare like that would consign the LNP to the historical dustbin forever. Then again I didn't think Australia would elect Abbott Prime Minister, either.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

This is going to be the same thing they have in the USA where anyone with any kind of preexisting condition can't get insurance and they just end up bankrupting their entire family or dying, right?

I think "Obamacare" actually stops insurers from doing this.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mad Katter posted:

Yes, that same thing Obama tried to get rid of.

<edit: there was a line here, I removed it because I wasn't sure about it>

rudatron fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 1, 2014

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Health funds have the right to be bigots.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The idea of this thing isn't to implement the ideas immediately or even soon (no doubt they would like this to happen though) but to get this poo poo out there in the public domain, being discussed by Serious People with Gravitas so that by the time they are implemented they don't seem so radical because the ideas have been floating around for a bit and don't sound so scary anymore.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Happy 1st of May Austfailures.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

I think "Obamacare" actually stops insurers from doing this.

I'm trying to figure this out, it's a bit confusing:

quote:

Pre-existing condition exclusions prohibited in all health insurance plans
Prohibit treating acts of domestic violence as a pre-existing condition

Isn't this redundant?

Also the fact that domestic violence was ever treated that way is completely horrific

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 1, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Seams posted:

The idea of this thing isn't to implement the ideas immediately or even soon (no doubt they would like this to happen though) but to get this poo poo out there in the public domain, being discussed by Serious People with Gravitas so that by the time they are implemented they don't seem so radical because the ideas have been floating around for a bit and don't sound so scary anymore.

This, although some of them have been floating around for years / decades, and haven't gotten any closer. Thank god.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Recommendation 31: Reforming foreign aid
The Commission recommends Australia's Official Development Assistance program be better managed including by:

not tying aid spending to the level of Gross National Income, rather managing it in the same way as other agency funding, with any increase in resources justified in terms of the overall fiscal context rather than to a set of funding targets;
increasing future aid spending at a rate no greater than the rate of inflation, noting that even with this funding, aid spending would be at historically high levels;
reducing the significant fragmentation, with bilateral aid delivery tightly focussed on countries of strategic interest to Australia and with assistance to other countries addressed through the better performing multilateral funds; and
focusing aid programme reporting on outcomes achieved rather than the quantity of resources applied.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Amethyst posted:

We get more lurkers and new posters with this format, and its easier for new people to catch up on

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

bell jar posted:

We get more lurkers and new posters with this format, and its easier for new people to catch up on

I doubt that

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

It’s time for the Australian public to grow up. No more politicians’ baby talk.

Australia is not in the grip of a full-blown fiscal crisis, as the commission of audit’s numbers show.

But after ramping up spending to protect the economy in global financial crisis, our federal politicians are having terrible trouble getting the budget back out of deficit.

That’s not unique to Australia. It’s always hard to put the fiscal bottle back in the cupboard – and that’s part of the reason why using fiscal policy to manage the economy got such a bad name around the world.

Australia’s federal government debt is not dangerously high now, and as the audit shows, it won’t be dangerously high even if we continue as we are for another 10 years.

In fact, even a repeat of the early 1990s recession would leave us with a net debt below the advanced economy’s pre-GFC average.

But if we don’t act now to get the budget back into surplus over the next five to 10 years, it will be harder to get it into surplus in the next in the next 10 years – and the budget and the federal government’s debt could become a potentially serious risk to growth, employment and living standards.

It’s time to act, and the audit report offers the government and, more importantly, the Australian public a well-thought-out and reasonably equitable path back to budget surplus.

If some of its recommendations – like tightened pension and aged-care means tests, co-payments for all Medicare services, mobility tests for long-term unemployed, and radical state tax reform – come as a shock, it is only because politicians have been shielding the public from reality.

Australia is entering a prolonged growth slowdown caused by demographic change and the post-boom decline in global commodity prices. Governments have to manage themselves a lot better, and the public has to get its collective head around that simple fact.

We can argue about the details, but either government spending has to be made sustainable, or taxes have to go up by quite a lot.

Anyone who thinks the answer is to tax the rich is dreaming. There are not enough of them. It is the taxes on middle income Australians that will have to go up. That was the message in the Treasury’s bracket creep projections: to get the budget deficit below 1 per cent of GDP without radical surgery requires taxpayers on average full time earnings to be lifted into the second highest income tax bracket.

Your Country Needs You, as the wartime posters used to say.

The choice for Australian voters is to support sensible reform of government spending and taxation (like a productivity-boosting change in the tax mix between income tax and the GST), phased in gradually so that everyone has time to adjust and minimise the personal cost, or sit, simmering frog-like as the risks of crisis attached to unreformed spending and taxation silently build.

WHY are they insisting on attempting World War One-esque comparisons to "doing your duty" or John F. Kennedy quotes. You guys are not Churchill, you are not JFK, you are not Roosevelt, you are not the other Roosevelt, there is no war, STOP ACTING LIKE THIS IS ANYTHING OTHER THAN NEOCONSERVATISM.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Ettin posted:

May Auspol: World is Fukt *ROAR OF JETS OVERHEAD*

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The first words out of Shorten's mouth were "WELL OF COURSE TOUGH CHOICES HAVE TO BE MADE..."

Whoever is pulling this guy's strings needs to be put up against a wall and shot. You should not be opposing your opponents austerity agenda by agreeing with the rhetorical bedrock of their argument ffs.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Updating your bookmarks is literally two loving clicks how lazy are you

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

quote:

Anyone who thinks the answer is to tax the rich is dreaming. There are not enough of them. It is the taxes on middle income Australians that will have to go up. That was the message in the Treasury’s bracket creep projections: to get the budget deficit below 1 per cent of GDP without radical surgery requires taxpayers on average full time earnings to be lifted into the second highest income tax bracket.
There's an implicit assumption here, something about corporations? I dunno.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Like this should be Oppostion Leader 101. You don't say "yeah, but" you say "no, and" and go from there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Oh and regarding the minimum wage cuts - apparently each individual state is an actor in the "free market" that is Australia and thus competes against each other and OH MY GOD WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH EURASIA

quote:

The Commission of Audit has recommended a drastic cut to the minimum wage, and a radical overhaul of the national system.

The minimum wage is now $622.20 a week, which is 56 per cent of average weekly earnings.

But the commission wants to cut the minimum wage to about $488.90 a week, which is 44 per cent of average weekly earnings.

It wants to phase the change in over 10 years.

The commission says the new lower minimum wage should then be used as a “minimum wage benchmark” and states and territories should be able to set their own minimum wages – using the benchmark as a guide – to compete against each other for labour and business.

The proposal attacks the very idea of a national minimum wage.

“Having a single national minimum wage disadvantages workers attempting to gain a job in states like Tasmania and South Australia where wages and the costs of living are generally lower than in other states,” the report says.

“The commission recommends that a different minimum wage apply in each jurisdiction.”

:wtf: Since there are big differences in economic conditions in each state, the wage rates in each state ought to be able to match conditions, the report argues.
:wtf:
“There are wide differences in wage rates between states. While the minimum wage is around 45 per cent of the Australian Capital Territory average weekly earnings, it is around 65 per cent of average weekly earnings in Tasmania,” it says.

It proposes that the minimum wage in each jurisdiction be equal to the minimum wage benchmark by 2023.

After that, the wage in each state could then increase in line with growth in that jurisdiction’s average weekly earnings.

But one question ought to be asked.

Why has the Commission of Audit touched the minimum wage at all, when it has little to do with government spending?

Well, the commission has allowed itself to do so by nesting it with government payments and assistance for the unemployed, such as Newstart and the Youth Allowance.

It argues that, if minimum wages are lowered, then more people will find work, particularly younger people, and that will mean the cost of government unemployment assistance will fall, therefore reducing government expenditure.

But it has not produced a figure showing how much the government can expect to save from the changes.

The commission has also recommended that, rather than have the Fair Work Commission set the minimum wage, the setting of the minimum wage ought to become an “administrative process”, possibly set by the Department of Employment.

And the commission has also recommended big changes to income support payments.

It argues that, if the level of income support is too close to the minimum wage, then people will lack the incentive to look for work.

It therefore recommends increasing the income test withdrawal rate to 75 per cent for Newstart recipients and other related allowances.

It has also recommended that single people aged 22 to 30 without dependents or special exemptions should have to relocate to higher employment areas if they don’t want to lose access to benefits after a period of 12 months on benefit.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/audit-commission-attacks-idea-of-minimum-wage-20140501-zr2lc.html#ixzz30RdmN8x6

As the average age here is about there I will recopy this paragraph

It has also recommended that single people aged 22 to 30 without dependents or special exemptions should have to relocate to higher employment areas if they don’t want to lose access to benefits after a period of 12 months on benefit.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

webmeister posted:

Updating your bookmarks is literally two loving clicks how lazy are you

No it isn't. It is 5 clicks minimum.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They could have saved a lot of time if they'd have just printed U-S-A! U-S-A! on a ream of A4 paper.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
We are in a time of crisis. Well, not really crisis, more not doing 100%. What is 100%? Well, listen, that's not important right now, what's important is that you stop opposing us, let us rape the poor and throw them overboard, to let them sink to the bottom of thge ocean, so Australia can be at 100%. We will have to cut some holes in the hull to make the tools to push the poor off the boat, but these will be offset by massive increases in speed and velocity that will surely come about.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Bompacho posted:

May Auspol: World is Fukt *ROAR OF JETS OVERHEAD*

*Sound of non-flyable jets being serviced in hangers*

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Can't you just use the User Control Panel? Every thread I post into gets automatically bookmarked there.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Happy May Day!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Chips posted:

*Sound of non-flyable jets being serviced in hangers*
what does the f35 say

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Can't you just use the User Control Panel? Every thread I post into gets automatically bookmarked there.

That's what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Amethyst posted:

Click the gold star at the top or bottom of every single page in the old thread

Click the gray star at the top of bottom of every single page in the new thread

Done

• Locked thread