Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

TheHeadSage posted:

Well, something stinks in the state of Victoria, and is apparently so damaging to the current government that they've taken the extreme step of slapping the known poo poo-rag the Herald Sun with a gag order and are now asking the police to ensure that it's applied to all media outlets. (More Info)

Is it because its damaging to the Government or because they don't want a police informant suddenly disappearing, because it certainly looks like the latter to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Considering the way things are going, it seems like there wouldn't really be much of a distance between:

1. Legalise electroshock 'therapy'
2. Precedent of using electroshock to remedy 'problem' children
3. Minorities and orphans are now 'problem' children
4. Electrocute brown kids in special 'rehabilitation' camps

I don't know how much of a joke post this is, but you do realise that ECT isn't just shocking people right? It's a perfectly legitimate line of treatment and has proved effective, particularly for those with depression. There's a whole lot of unfounded hysteria surrounding the treatment because they've seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. When I was suffering depression (and it feels like one big mental health clinic in here, wow), I seriously considered ECT but only discounted it because my psych said that it would severely impact on my ability to work for around 3 months due to memory issues and such. In the end, I had a seizure which pretty much had the same affect (messed up my memory and fixed my depression, woo!).

To the subject at hand specifically, the biggest issues with this legislation is the lack of research on the impact on brain development on children, and not being fit to consent. The latter is a lesser issue provided that the parents are well informed. Provided that this is actually used as a "last resort" treatment, the risk may be worth it.

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

CrazyTolradi posted:

Because I understand the concept that hatred only breeds more hatred? Sure, let's go with your way though.

I mean, you have no idea of my background, race or culture. You have no idea if I've been oppressed before for any quality of my person. As someone who was bullied for a physical disability throughout my childhood and teenage life, does that mean any reaction I have would be justified? Of course not. Do I resent what happened? Totally, yes. Do I resent the people, who acted out of ignorance and peer pressure? Yes, to a degree. Does that justify any hatred or action I would take out on an able bodied "healthy" person for their actions? Never.

I would posit that you weren't bullied enough to understand the resentment a systemically oppressed group of people would possess against their oppressors. It's all well and good to loftily say that hatred not a good thing for either side of the oppression, but until both sides are actually equal - as in treated equally and having equal opportunity - there's going to be justifiable resentment from the group that's been hosed over.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Like my mother would yell at my brother and I when we were fighting, "I don't care who started it, you can both bloody stop it now, thank you.". Not exactly very eloquent, but it does get the point across.

A more appropriate analogy would be if your mother spent your entire life giving everything to your brother and him and your mother doing everything they can to keep you down, then when you're old enough to leave home with no money, education or support, saying "ok we'll stop making GBS threads on you now, no hard feelings". Would you not be justifiably resentful?

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

Tokamak posted:

Just wondering, would you be ok with immigration/customs officers to take similar measures at airports? If the officer was not convinced that the arrival had legitimate documentation, a valid/appropriate visa, the means to support themselves or any other issue that would cause detainment leading to deportation, we should just shoot and kill the person? In the eyes of the law these people aren't any different from people entering by boat. We have to detain, question and do all the paperwork to give cause for deporting them. That adds up to a lot of money and a waste of everyone's time.

It would serve a similar purpose, that people should only enter a country if they are following their visa requirements to the letter. It would stop the people who arrive with no money and a tourist visa from wasting our time and resources. Likewise for people who fit a profile for overstaying (does not have touristy luggage, itinerary, evidence of accommodation, no return flight or a sufficient explanation of what they are doing during their stay).

The purpose (as framed by urseus) is to stop deaths at sea. The purpose you're describing is to prevent people seeking asylum.

The real purpose is to appease a subset of racist Australians while simultaneously not completely alienating the rest of Australia. That rules out killing people outright (which would also be a serious foreign affairs problem) and treating them humanely (processing locally, flying them over from Indonesia). As a result, you end up with the current situation which is lovely enough that racists are satisfied, yet not quite heinous enough that Joe ACA-watcher is perturbed.

• Locked thread