Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mahjong. Supposedly created by Confucious 2500 years ago but more likely by bored Chinese gamblers in the 19th century. Known in the west as an intimidating game due to the weirdass bone tiles covered in Chinese characters that its played with, mahjong is actually an extremely simple and casual game that should come naturally to anyone that's played poker or rummy. This post will be exclusively about the Japanese variant of mahjong, but if you want to talk about some other kind of mahjong feel free, pretty much every variant agrees on the same basic rules:

Each player has a hand of 13 tiles and takes turns drawing and discarding in an attempt to build a winning hand of 4 melds (3 sequential numbers or sets of 3 or 4 of a kind) and a pair. If another player discards a tile that you need to make a meld or to win, you can call it up into your hand. That's it. That's mahjong. Easy.

The Tiles and Their Suits:
The one through nine of pin:

The one through nine of sou:

The one through nine of man:

The winds:

(east, south, west, north)

The dragons:

(white, green, red)
A lot of times the white dragon will be a blank white tile instead.

Here's an example of the standard winning mahjong hand, 4 melds and a pair:
()+()+()+()+()

Japanese Mahjong, also called Riichi Mahjong, introduces a bunch of complications to this formula that make the game more tactical and stable. Riichi is the Hold'em to Hong Kong Mahjong's 5 Card Draw (and American Mahjong's Mario Party). Most importantly, Riichi Mahjong introduces additional criteria to win called "yaku". There's a whole list of yaku, but essentially they fall into 2 categories: yaku based on certain actions happening in the game, and yaku that work similarly to poker hands, flushes, straights, etc. Here's a few of the yaku you'll see most often (complete list here):
  • Riichi - If you haven't made any calls (known as a closed hand) and are one tile away from winning, you may announce it to the table by declaring riichi. As long as you have the standard 4 melds and a pair, declaring riichi is enough to win.
  • Tsumo - If your hand is closed and you draw the last tile you need to win, that's a yaku in itself.
  • Tanyao - A hand that contains no 1s, 9s, winds, or dragons. Sometimes only allowed in closed hands, depending on house rules.
  • Yakuhai - A hand that has at least one set of dragons, the player's seat wind, or the round's prevailing wind, open or closed.
A winning hand must fulfill at least one yaku, and yaku can be combined for more points. I'm not going to get into the specifics of mahjong scoring because its not that important when you're starting out, but the value of a hand increases roughly exponentially for each yaku it has, and rarer/harder to get yaku are worth more than common yaku.

The other major addition in Riichi Mahjong are certain tiles that are worth additional points, "dora tiles". At the beginning of each hand a tile is flipped over on the dead wall indicating which tile will be the dora. Additional indicators get flipped for each quad called, and a player that wins by riichi also gets access to the "ura dora" hidden under the indicators. Suffice to say declaring riichi can be really important in Riichi Mahjong when up to 10 tiles can be in play as doras.

Other miscellaneous things to be aware of:
  • Clasically, mahjong games consist of (at least) 16 hands. One round of four hands for each of the four winds, and within each round the players do a full rotation of seat winds. Casual mahjong is usually abbreviated down to just the east wind round, or the east and south rounds. Pay attention to wind tiles that match the round's prevailing wind or your seat wind.
  • If you win via calling another player's discard (a "ron" call), that player pays the full value of your hand. If you win via tsumo then all the other players split the tab. The dealer, seated east, always pays a bigger share when they lose and earns more when they win.
  • If any player runs out of points, the game immediately ends. Strategically, you should avoid bankrupting players if you aren't in the lead or at the very least making a profit.
  • If all the tiles are drawn before any player declares victory, the hand is drawn. Any players that were one tile away from victory (known as a state of "tenpai") are paid a small penalty by players that were more than one tile away.
  • Some house rules include red tiles that are automatically counted as doras. Usually one or two of the 5s in each suit will be colored red.
  • The dreaded furiten rule. You can't win off of a called discard if that tile or any other tile you could use to win (your "waits") are in your discard pile. If you find yourself in furiten, you need to cut that meld and find a new set of waits.
  • Remember that with dora indicators, it is the next highest tile up that's being indicated as a dora. If say the 3 man is flipped up on the dead wall, it is actually the 4 man that will be worth extra points. When the indicator is a 9, it wraps back around to 1. Dragons and winds have a set order you will have to remember. The suits at the beginning of this post are in dora order.

Links:
  • Wikipedia's list of yaku. You don't need to memorize all of these but it couldn't hurt to have it open in the background.
  • Gamedesign.jp's mahjong. A good place to practice mahjong against the computer, everything's in English and the man tiles are numbered.
  • Tenhou, the best and easiest way to play mahjong online. Unfortunately its in Japanese, but it really isn't that big a deal. For the most part its interface is very intuitive.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How to play on Tenhou.net

Pretty straightforward, put your name in the field, it asks if you're male (男) or female (女) for some reason, click OK to continue. Alternatively you could click on the button on the far left to create a new account, for chatting, stat tracking, and replay recording purposes.

A bunch of buttons and Japanese text, for now just ignore everything but the bottom left. Each button represents a different kind of mahjong table you can sit at. Most people tend to play with open tanyao and red doras. You can queue for multiple game types at the same time.

The test play menu at the bottom will put you into a game with (really stupid) CPUs, probably not a bad idea to get used to the interface.

Here's what a game of mahjong looks like, with a few relevent areas labeled. Your hand is at the bottom, when its your turn click on the tile you want to cut. Occasionally other options will pop up either right above your hand or on top of the relevent tiles.

Here's the shortlist of words you need to be able to recognize:
  • Chii (チー) - A run of 3 sequential tiles, you may only call chiis off of the opponent to your immediate left.
  • Pon (ポン) - A set of 3 of a kind.
  • Kan (カン) - A set of 4 of a kind.
  • Ron (ロン) - Calling up a discard to finish your hand.
  • Riichi (リーチ) - Ready hand.
  • Tsumo (ツモ) - Drawing the tile you need to win on your own.
  • Pass (パス) - This is English, dummy.
  • Kita (キタ) - In 3 player mahjong, tiles of the unseated wind are worth additional points. Click kita to put them aside and replace them with new tiles.
Looking at the picture above, its asking whether I want to ron (ロン) north's 2 sou, or pass (パス).

Here's what potential calls look like. The tiles you can meld are highlighted and the type of meld is written above them. In this case someone discarded a 5 pin and its asking if I want to pon (ポン). Click on the meld in your hand to make the call.

Click here to go to the private lobby we usually play in.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

please piss on me posted:

Riichi is the Hold'em to Hong Kong Mahjong's 5 Card Draw (and American Mahjong's Mario Party).

I enjoy Mario Party and am curious to learn more of this so-called "American" mahjong.

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

Anyone want to play with me?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lesbian baphomet posted:

I enjoy Mario Party and am curious to learn more of this so-called "American" mahjong.
Its really loving dumb. There's no standard hand and you have to spell out words or numbers with your tiles, something?? There's a reason why its only played by old women.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I am peerless among this forum.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Its really loving dumb. There's no standard hand and you have to spell out words or numbers with your tiles, something?? There's a reason why its only played by old women.

Haha what the gently caress? Scrabble-rear end gaijin mahjong.

e: ^ jesus christ, a real yakuman! Holy poo poo!

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
I'm ready for some Mahjong

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

I'm just clicking buttons, probably should have actually read the rules

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Dirigibleful posted:

I'm just clicking buttons, probably should have actually read the rules

The flash game in the OP (http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html) is actually super useful to learn the basics.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

The flash game in the OP (http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html) is actually super useful to learn the basics.

Yeah it's surprisingly easy using that site and can be learned in an hour or two, or probably even less.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gaping gape gaper posted:

I am peerless among this forum.
You should write some stuff about mahjong strategy itt, cause drat you are really good at mahjong, milky. If you don't I will, I guess.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 2, 2014

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I learned to play Mahjong from a Taiwanese friend, so the rules are a little different. I've been told it is similar to Filipino mahjong. Biggest difference is the hand is bigger, requiring 5 sets and a pair.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Incarnate Dao posted:

I learned to play Mahjong from a Taiwanese friend, so the rules are a little different. I've been told it is similar to Filipino mahjong. Biggest difference is the hand is bigger, requiring 5 sets and a pair.
The only reason we're talking about Riichi is cause its the most popular form in video/computer games (and animes), if you wanna write a big effort post about Taiwanese mahjong you're more than welcome to. Or if you know any good places to play it online.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I refuse to acknowledge any list of common yaku that excludes Pinfu. Of course, it doesn't help that Pinfu is a bastard to define.

I'll hang out in the lobby for a bit and see if anyone turns up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lestaki posted:

I refuse to acknowledge any list of common yaku that excludes Pinfu. Of course, it doesn't help that Pinfu is a bastard to define.

I'll hang out in the lobby for a bit and see if anyone turns up.
I thought about putting it on the list because it is by far the easiest yaku to get, but I really really didn't want to get into how scoring works in Japanese mahjong in the OP. The OP is a friendly place.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID
Tried playing against real people for the first time today. It went pretty well!

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006
I posted back a while ago asking about tile sets and which one is good to get. I did get the Yellow Mountain Imports set, and aside from the lack of green color and tacky paint job outside of the titles, I gotta say I'm satisfied with it.

Still haven't managed to find people to play with though. Such is life.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So I've been tooling around with that flash version, and the main thing I've learned is that I am bad at Mahjong. Constructing a good wait is easy enough, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to win once I've made a revealed group. Heck, when is it right to make a revealed group in the first place?

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

So I've been tooling around with that flash version, and the main thing I've learned is that I am bad at Mahjong. Constructing a good wait is easy enough, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to win once I've made a revealed group. Heck, when is it right to make a revealed group in the first place?

If you call tiles, it becomes much harder to legally win. So if you want to call tiles, have a definite plan for what yaku you're working on. Tanyao/endless is a very common option here- just discards all 1s, 9s, winds, and dragons. Three of the same dragon or a scoring wind (yakuhai) is another common choice. Otherwise, you should keep your hand closed, as that at least allows you to call riichi for an easy yaku.

vocaloid orgasm posted:

Tried playing against real people for the first time today. It went pretty well!

Congratulations on your first win. Looks like you won some nice hands.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Oh, neat, a thread for people to chat about mashing tiles. I haven't played in awhile and I also still don't have any idea about strategies other than "don't try to call everything" and "figure out when is and isn't good for riichi". Is there going to be an IRC or something for pickup games?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Opening your hand up too early is the first hurdle that beginners have to get over. Its substantially easier to win with a closed hand because it leaves so many more options available for scoring, like Lestaki was saying you really have to have a strategy in mind before you decide to open up. If its early enough that its likely I'll get another chance to call, I'll usually pass on the first couple cuts until I'm reasonably sure my hand is going to work out.

I'm no mahjong pro or anything but this is pretty much my basic strategy and it works reasonably well for me: Look at the discard ponds and notice how they're organized in rows of 6 tiles, and in a hand drawn to exhaustion there are 3 rows of discards per player. You can break mahjong into essentially a 3 act game using the rows of discards as a kind of clock. I find it really helps to compartmentalize your strategy like that.

In the first act players are feeling each other out and putting together the foundation of their hands. People are generally optimistic enough to not open their hands up in the first act. On the flip side, people tend to make some pretty dangerous cuts early on so this is a great time to call honors for a yakuhai if you can.

By the start of the second act players usually have a strategy in mind, whether they're going all out for a particular hand, hedging their bets, or playing defensively. This is when the vast majority of hands open up. There is enough information at this point for people to start reading discards though so cuts tend to be made a little more carefully here.

If someone hasn't won by the third act and you aren't in tenpai or are close, this is when you want to go crazy and make as many calls and cuts as possible to get yourself to tenpai. If you aren't going to win you might as well not lose.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I thought that if you were in the endgame and especially if other players look like their ducks are all lined up, you desperately are trying to not discard someone else's winning tile in hopes that you will either draw the game or get someone else/everybody to pay for someone else's win. Not that this ever really works for me, once I discarded something I thought would be safe and two people called it so I ate twice the loss.

Check this sweet mahjong set. Who makes these, anywa-

:stare: :mario:

nftyw fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 8, 2014

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006

Good get. I didn't think Nintendo ever put out an English set. Seeing as how flowers are in there, I'm guessing there's no red fives though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've reached the point in Tenhou where losing a game can lose me points and even drop me down a rank, and suddenly I'm getting my rear end kicked in several different directions daily. It's very distressing.

nftyw posted:

I thought that if you were in the endgame and especially if other players look like their ducks are all lined up, you desperately are trying to not discard someone else's winning tile in hopes that you will either draw the game or get someone else/everybody to pay for someone else's win.

Yeah, but trying to get to tenpai while you're doing it is worth it, provided you can get there while discarding mostly safe tiles. If you don't have a read on someone's hand, generally speaking you just want to try to discard the same tiles they do, since furiten will generally stop them from being able to call on it.

aldantefax posted:

Is there going to be an IRC or something for pickup games?

It's dead as hell but there's a #riichigoons on synirc.

e: also if you want a slightly more concise table of yaku I really like this guide because it can print out onto a single sheet of paper.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 8, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stelas posted:

Yeah, but trying to get to tenpai while you're doing it is worth it, provided you can get there while discarding mostly safe tiles. If you don't have a read on someone's hand, generally speaking you just want to try to discard the same tiles they do, since furiten will generally stop them from being able to call on it.
For sure. You don't want to get ron'd but a 3000 point penalty if you are the only one not in tenpai can also be pretty significant.

Here's a good article on defensive play that covers that end of the game nicely http://riichiround.blogspot.com/2011/01/riichi-and-defensive-play.html

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I'm the strongest.

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

someone tell why this doesnt count as a straight im dumb and bad

edit: k im told that if i have an open hand i need to steal a tile to complete it

Minesweep fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 9, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Stuff about opening your hand

drat, this made a world of difference. Being able to play for the small win off of a triplet is way easier than trying to assemble a Tsumo every time.

Which leads me to my next question: is Kan a "If you can do it, do it" sort of thing?

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 9, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

drat, this made a world of difference. Being able to play for the small win off of a triplet is way easier than trying to assemble a Tsumo every time.

Which leads me to my next question: is Kan a "If you can do it, do it" sort of thing?
Kans are worth more slightly more points than pons are, not enough to usually be too worried about it but in a lot of cases it could push you over into mangan territory. I usually just go for it, more out of hope of getting a rinshan or a good dora than anything else.

Couple edge cases to be aware of I guess, if you have no hope of winning you probably don't want to play a kan because the newly flipped dora could potentially make your opponents' hand stronger. Also if there are already 3 kans on the table, calling a 4th will immediately abort the hand. Sometimes that's advantageous, other times it might be something you want to avoid.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

My honest opinion is that calling kan is often problematic. You will more normally call kan with open hands (toi-toi and stuff like that) but kan doesn't just add dora, it adds reverse dora which are only accessible to riichi hands that go out. If there's any pressure on the table from any other player it's as likely to hurt you as help you. If you're waiting, sure, you usually call it and try to live the rinshan dream because another draw is another draw. Calling kan by adding to an exposed pon doesn't give up any extra information, but calling kan from a closed pon does and that can be very relevant. If I have a toi-toi read on someone and they're on two calls and seven tiles closed, I won't necessarily treat them as waiting. If they closed kan and go down to four tiles, I treat them as almost certainly waiting and adjust my play accordingly, which can hurt them. Closed kans in closed hands are usually worthwhile because you can aim to riichi for the reverse dora.

With all this said, it's only something to worry about when playing against humans who can read the table to some extent. In the meantime, dora are fun and calling tiles is fun, so just calling kan whenever you can and seeing what happens is also fine.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
So, I've been enjoying playing the second link (the English one), but I keep coming up with a Tsumo, or Ron, and then I try to win the hand and it tells me I have no multiplier. Huh?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That message means you don't have a yaku in your hand - you've either opened your hand (by taking someone else's tile) and blocked off a lot of your options, or you've collected a load of crap and you're going to have to riichi to actually get it to count as a hand.

Remembering the hands is the hardest part, closely followed by curbing the instinct to just grab at tiles. Opening your hand by taking someone else's tile locks you out of a lot of different yaku and often strips the score of others, especially if you start opening your hands with 1s or 9s or winds you don't care about.

For the sake of a clearer list than the one on gamedesign, here's the most common yaku:

Closed only:
  • Riichi - If you're one tile off winning you can go 'hey I'm one tile off winning' and plonk down a stick and your hand qualifies regardless of the poo poo in it, but your draws are now locked into picking up and discarding, which can gently caress you over. If someone deals into your hand before your next turn that's Ippatsu which means more points for you.
  • Tsumo - You only care specifically about this if your hand's closed and you have no yaku and it looks too dangerous to riichi, whereupon you can still flat-out qualify for a hand by getting a tsumo. Otherwise it's just nice when you get your winning tile rather than ronning off someone else.
  • Pinfu - All sequences, and your final tile must be waiting on one of two tiles. (i.e. you don't qualify for pinfu if your last tiles will fill out the 8 and 9 of a suit, or if you're waiting on the pair)
  • Ii-Pei-Kou - Two of the same sequence i.e. 445566 man.
  • Chi-Toi - Seven pairs.
Open or closed:
  • Yaku-Pai - A triplet of your own wind, the round wind, or a dragon. The easiest yaku to get and you can even open your hand, but unless you can collect some other yaku or some dora while you're at it, expect to score like poo poo.
  • Tanyao - Only use tiles from 2 to 8. Another easy yaku to get, and one of the more reliable ones if you really have to open your hand.
  • San-Shoku - The same sequence, repeated in all three suits.
  • Itsuu - A straight from 1-9 in a single suit.
  • Toitoi - All triplets.
  • Chanta - Every set in the hand includes a terminal or honours tile. (i.e. 1, 9, winds, dragons)
  • Honitsu - Entire hand is formed from one suit and honour tiles.
  • Rinshan - Winning off the extra tile from declaring a kan. You aren't an anime, don't bother.
Generally speaking, if you can, keep your hand closed. It'll offer substantially more chances to score a meaningful amount of points, lets you be a lot more flexible in which tiles you keep and which you can toss out, and collecting a bunch of yaku-pai hands is scrubby as hell and holy poo poo it gets my blood pressure going, gently caress.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I suck at mahjong, and I have 0 idea what I'm doing half the time or more. I have no idea what yaku are and I get stumped at basic things.

At least I got luck.

Edit: Further establishing I can't play worth a poo poo but I have luck

Forer fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 11, 2014

Oct 1, 2013

For Android users, search in the playstore for 麻雀 天極牌 by Hangame. Beautiful multiplayer riichi mahjong app, with several different modes of play and even single player modes for practice. It's in Japanese but easy enough to parse.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
For anyone interested, the first Riichi World Championship has started and the first han chans were played today. As you can imagine, Japan sent quite a lot of their pro players and it's highly probable they will win. For competition, I'd wager some French players such as Nicolas Campina may fare well. Denmark has some strong players as well, and there may be some surprises from Eastern Europe, particularly from Russia, since they don't like EMA rules much and prefer the Japanese Pro League rules, so they may be more accustomed to Japanese playstyle.

Some other attending players that I'd like to name are Martin Rep, author of numerous books about mahjong, Jenn Barr, the first foreign player ever to get to Japanese Pro leagues and still the only foreign woman there, and Gemma Collinge, a seasoned Mahjong player who runs the Reach Mahjong site together with Barr and Garthe Nelson.

It's going to be interesting and exciting! I used to go to some smaller tournaments around Europe and I hoped I could've attended this one, but I haven't played actively enough in years and would've been wrecked instantly. I guess I should start playing in tenhou again.

technolizard
May 19, 2013
Dear lord Japanese Mahjong is complicated. I also first learned from a Taiwanese friend, and then moved to Chinese rules. My group also plays for fun, though, and doesn't really keep score.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD

I'm not sure what it's suggesting I should wait for here if I declare riichi. I don't even know what's best to discard.

Is this yakuhai? Is that the only reason this is viable? What serves me best to discard?

Sorry, I'm really new to this game and I don't want to post about every situation that comes up, but I really want to know what and WHY I should discard a specific tile in this specific situation. It's probably the most obvious thing in the world to you.

Ditch the 7m(seems the smartest move to me, leave the 5m as a generic pair)? The 4p (a 5p wait would complete meld though)?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Yes, that hand has yakuhai, although since riichi is itself a yaku, you could riichi off any closed hand and win anyway. Having more yaku is of course more points though.

When you riichi, I imagine it'll show you what tiles you can discard, right? The 7m should be the only viable choice, with a wait on 5p.

I would probably not riichi off that hand though; the wait isn't very good, you're in no hurry to do so, and you could easily aim for a straight or at least a more consistent hand after you discard the 7m. And worst case, you can maintain a hidden wait on the 5p even without riichi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Yep, fanpai (or yakuhai) is the only yaku here. I'd say take the riichi. It's quite early on and while it is a single wait, it could well materialise. I don't think you could make this hand better easily. You could try dumping those three man tiles and try to get hon itsuu (or half flush) hand with pin and honors, but that could be tricky, it'll take a while and your wait will be much more obvious.

If you want to riichi, discard man (number) 7. It'll leave the man 5s as a pair, and your wait will be pin 5. Your finished hand will be man 5 pair, pin 123 straight, pin 456 straight, pin 678 straight and triplet haku, which serves as your yaku.

Not a very flashy hand, but it's the beginning of the han chan and you'll cut off the dealer's winning streak.

Edit: forgot the full straight (123456789 of the same suit) That is something you could try to get, especially since that's a computer game with no human opponents. Early riichi can be a good pressure tactic if you just want to get the game go on and not get stuck on one guy winning as a dealer and if you're certain the other players don't know your playing style. It's not something you should be always doing, but it can be a good way to gauge the other players.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 20, 2014

• Locked thread