Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD

I'm not sure what it's suggesting I should wait for here if I declare riichi. I don't even know what's best to discard.

Is this yakuhai? Is that the only reason this is viable? What serves me best to discard?

Sorry, I'm really new to this game and I don't want to post about every situation that comes up, but I really want to know what and WHY I should discard a specific tile in this specific situation. It's probably the most obvious thing in the world to you.

Ditch the 7m(seems the smartest move to me, leave the 5m as a generic pair)? The 4p (a 5p wait would complete meld though)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
Yeah, a 1-way wait on the 5p is kind of improbable, though this early in the game there's a lot of time to potentially ron someone's discard. If a pon or chii comes up and I win off it (not ron obviously cuz I won't have called riichi), is it now considered open even if I won off of it?

And nope, this online version doesn't tell you or hint at what's okay to discard.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
I think this whole time I've mistakenly thought that I could only ron (and direct hit and see the ura-dora) only after declaring riichi. But it makes sense that winning off a discard is just that.

I've got a lot of learning to do.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Nothing special here, I'm really just aiming for tanyao and maybe a pinfu (why I don't want to ditch the 2-3 sou; there's still one bird and four 4-sou out there this early in the game)

What would you discard here? I'm not experienced enough to judge the likelihood of one thing panning out over the other. I'm leaning towards ditching a 5-man in this instance. Does that sound about right? 4-pins allow for potential additional dora and lots of easy waits on either end, so I'm not inclined to discard one.

Aaaaaaaa!

e: I got this response elsewhere

quote:

Standard is 2m or 5m, with 2m favored because by keeping 5m, 36m turn the manzu into an iipeiko.

Typically, shapes with no decided pair tend to be very effective in reaching tenpai. By discarding 2m, 234567p1234s all bring you to tenpai. If you keep 2m, only 25m25p or something equivalent brings you to tenpai.

The only risk of shapes like this is the case of being left with a plain tanki wait. However, this is only the issue with a pinfu-only two lone ryanmen shape. This isn't one because it has
1. tanyao
2. dora
3. pinzu form multi-way pair waits

Seeing that thought process laid out - the combination of game knowledge, evaluating odds and logic - that's really what has me most excited about learning this game. Goddamn this game is cool.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread