Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I refuse to acknowledge any list of common yaku that excludes Pinfu. Of course, it doesn't help that Pinfu is a bastard to define.

I'll hang out in the lobby for a bit and see if anyone turns up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

So I've been tooling around with that flash version, and the main thing I've learned is that I am bad at Mahjong. Constructing a good wait is easy enough, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to win once I've made a revealed group. Heck, when is it right to make a revealed group in the first place?

If you call tiles, it becomes much harder to legally win. So if you want to call tiles, have a definite plan for what yaku you're working on. Tanyao/endless is a very common option here- just discards all 1s, 9s, winds, and dragons. Three of the same dragon or a scoring wind (yakuhai) is another common choice. Otherwise, you should keep your hand closed, as that at least allows you to call riichi for an easy yaku.

vocaloid orgasm posted:

Tried playing against real people for the first time today. It went pretty well!

Congratulations on your first win. Looks like you won some nice hands.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

drat, this made a world of difference. Being able to play for the small win off of a triplet is way easier than trying to assemble a Tsumo every time.

Which leads me to my next question: is Kan a "If you can do it, do it" sort of thing?

My honest opinion is that calling kan is often problematic. You will more normally call kan with open hands (toi-toi and stuff like that) but kan doesn't just add dora, it adds reverse dora which are only accessible to riichi hands that go out. If there's any pressure on the table from any other player it's as likely to hurt you as help you. If you're waiting, sure, you usually call it and try to live the rinshan dream because another draw is another draw. Calling kan by adding to an exposed pon doesn't give up any extra information, but calling kan from a closed pon does and that can be very relevant. If I have a toi-toi read on someone and they're on two calls and seven tiles closed, I won't necessarily treat them as waiting. If they closed kan and go down to four tiles, I treat them as almost certainly waiting and adjust my play accordingly, which can hurt them. Closed kans in closed hands are usually worthwhile because you can aim to riichi for the reverse dora.

With all this said, it's only something to worry about when playing against humans who can read the table to some extent. In the meantime, dora are fun and calling tiles is fun, so just calling kan whenever you can and seeing what happens is also fine.

• Locked thread