Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
For anyone interested, the first Riichi World Championship has started and the first han chans were played today. As you can imagine, Japan sent quite a lot of their pro players and it's highly probable they will win. For competition, I'd wager some French players such as Nicolas Campina may fare well. Denmark has some strong players as well, and there may be some surprises from Eastern Europe, particularly from Russia, since they don't like EMA rules much and prefer the Japanese Pro League rules, so they may be more accustomed to Japanese playstyle.

Some other attending players that I'd like to name are Martin Rep, author of numerous books about mahjong, Jenn Barr, the first foreign player ever to get to Japanese Pro leagues and still the only foreign woman there, and Gemma Collinge, a seasoned Mahjong player who runs the Reach Mahjong site together with Barr and Garthe Nelson.

It's going to be interesting and exciting! I used to go to some smaller tournaments around Europe and I hoped I could've attended this one, but I haven't played actively enough in years and would've been wrecked instantly. I guess I should start playing in tenhou again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Yep, fanpai (or yakuhai) is the only yaku here. I'd say take the riichi. It's quite early on and while it is a single wait, it could well materialise. I don't think you could make this hand better easily. You could try dumping those three man tiles and try to get hon itsuu (or half flush) hand with pin and honors, but that could be tricky, it'll take a while and your wait will be much more obvious.

If you want to riichi, discard man (number) 7. It'll leave the man 5s as a pair, and your wait will be pin 5. Your finished hand will be man 5 pair, pin 123 straight, pin 456 straight, pin 678 straight and triplet haku, which serves as your yaku.

Not a very flashy hand, but it's the beginning of the han chan and you'll cut off the dealer's winning streak.

Edit: forgot the full straight (123456789 of the same suit) That is something you could try to get, especially since that's a computer game with no human opponents. Early riichi can be a good pressure tactic if you just want to get the game go on and not get stuck on one guy winning as a dealer and if you're certain the other players don't know your playing style. It's not something you should be always doing, but it can be a good way to gauge the other players.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 20, 2014

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
That's pretty much how I teach. Learning yakus and what the gently caress they actually are was one of the most difficult things for me in learning mahjong and I didn't understand it until I had a bit of experience and feel for the game. Even then it's good to start from a few basic yaku and then go from there on the principle of most other yakus being special cases or combinations of those few basic yaku.

• Locked thread