Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Yes, that hand has yakuhai, although since riichi is itself a yaku, you could riichi off any closed hand and win anyway. Having more yaku is of course more points though.

When you riichi, I imagine it'll show you what tiles you can discard, right? The 7m should be the only viable choice, with a wait on 5p.

I would probably not riichi off that hand though; the wait isn't very good, you're in no hurry to do so, and you could easily aim for a straight or at least a more consistent hand after you discard the 7m. And worst case, you can maintain a hidden wait on the 5p even without riichi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Parpy posted:

Yeah, a 1-way wait on the 5p is kind of improbable, though this early in the game there's a lot of time to potentially ron someone's discard. If a pon or chii comes up and I win off it (not ron obviously cuz I won't have called riichi), is it now considered open even if I won off of it?

And nope, this online version doesn't tell you or hint at what's okay to discard.

I think you might be misunderstanding a few things, or just using terms strangely. Winning off someone else's discard is what a ron is; I don't know what you mean by winning off pon or chi. In this case you don't need to call riichi to be able to win since your hand already has a yaku, though it increases the value of your hand since riichi is also a yaku. Winning off a ron when you have a closed hand doesn't open up your hand.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Actually, the ura dora are only revealed if you declare riichi, so you were right on that point, which is an excellent reason to be doing it.

• Locked thread