Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh hey, a mahjong thread! I love riichi, even if it's kind of a dumb, long-rear end game about making the least mistakes most of the time. I should come play with you.

Since there was a bit of talk about it, let's talk about pinfu. It's a wonderful yaku, since it combos so well with other yaku, and the number of different tiles makes it a bit likelier to score a surprise ura-dora. The short definition is this: It's a hand with no points. Riichi scoring is sort of arcane, so for beginners, that means:
  1. It's all sequences (chi), no triples (kan).
  2. Your winning tile finishes a sequence, not the pair.
  3. You must be waiting for at least two different winning tiles. This is called a two-sided wait. For example, you could be waiting a 2 or a 5 to finish a 34-sequence.
    • In other words, no pair waits, middle waits (you've got a 1 and a 3 and are waiting on a 2) or edge waits (you're sitting with 12 and waiting for the 3).
  4. The pair must not be dragons, the round wind or your seat wind. If you could score a yaku with it, it's out.
  5. Oh, and your hand must be closed.
I think it's one of the most important yaku to know, because it really opens up the scoring potential in a hand. Grabbing scrubby yaku-pai hands is easy enough, but like Stelas said, it really shits on your score. An important thing to remember about riichi is that it's a zero-sum game: If you only play tiny thousand-point hands, it's really easy for people to make a comeback and overtake you in a single round.

In Finland people generally play according to the European Mahjong Association rules, and their rulebook is pretty good a reference. Granted, they don't play with things like open tanyao or red fives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think two good rules of thumb for beginning players are 1) don't open your hand and 2) go for a pinfu because it's the best yaku.

• Locked thread