Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I've spent the evening playing the (probably most horribly-translated and misinterpreted version of) mahjong. I'm not sure which version it was, but we had the standard suits, winds, and dragons. Flowers and seasons were included, but we left them out as they didn't do anything beyond add score for luck. Scoring was 2/4 for open/closed minor pung, 4/8 for open/closed major. Double that for a kong, bugger all for a chow, 20 for calling mahjong, slap on some doublers. I don't know if that's helpful or not for identifying the version we were playing, sorry!

Mainly what struck me was the sense that I was missing something, strategy-wise. Like, don't discard what other people are waiting for if you can help it, and... that seemed to be about it for the strategy. Am I missing something, or is it that simple? The OP mentions Japanese rules for more strategy, but the guy who owns the set is still struggling to remember that a run can only be three long JESUS DUDE :rant:, so I'm guessing trying to teach Yaku would be nightmarish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread