Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

peanut- posted:

An article on possession

This might belong in the bad posts thread as it veers into DZ SiBoT territory, but I thought the bit at the end about Mourinho's philosophy was interesting enough:

I know everyone is berating mourinho for this but noted tika taka from the other side of scouse land (martinez) spoke about football being a game of errors in that podcast he did so it's not as if this is just mou's thinking but pretty much common fact - and I personally found it ever so slightly insightful really as a different way of thinking. Its especially funny to read that after one huge glaring error from the weekend. That slip was pretty much his philosophy personified and gently caress me it's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Stinky Pit posted:

Is that seriously what people are mad about? The football hasn't been beautiful enough?

He's gotten them 33 out of 60 points possible in the league so far during the same time period both Arsenal and Everton have managed 36 out of 60. Its a perfectly reasonable record for a team like Spurs. It's not his fault that all those expensive players turned out to be poo poo and couldn't match the teams ambitions.

Its that his tactics are baffling at best and he seems to no clue on how to actually utilise his players in the best way possible. Nothing to do with beautiful football.

When you're getting bossed by 10-man stoke for an entire half, something is loving wrong with your tactics.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
There are better managers available than Sherwood, so there's no reason for Spurs to stick with him.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

There are better managers available than Sherwood, so there's no reason for Spurs to stick with him.

The players like him, though. Adebayor didn't salute AVB.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

peanut- posted:

An article on possession

This might belong in the bad posts thread as it veers into DZ SiBoT territory, but I thought the bit at the end about Mourinho's philosophy was interesting enough:

Didn't Arrigo Sacchi say basically the same thing? That goals only occur as the result of defensive mistakes, and so a perfect game (i.e., a game with no mistakes) would end 0-0.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Stinky Pit posted:

I don't get why Spurs are in such a rush to get rid of Sherwood, the dude is definitely crazy but Spurs haven't been too terrible under him, their home form especially has been real good and don't they have something like 15 points from the last 6 matches? That doesn't seem like a manager that desperately needs replacing to me.

Because Levy hasn't gotten to fire a manager in like three months, and he's getting the itch. Spurs are going to cycle through managers until (a) someone makes their 100m worth of dogshit players into a title contender, or (b) everyone forgets that 100m was a ton of money to spend on garbage.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Stinky Pit posted:

Is that seriously what people are mad about? The football hasn't been beautiful enough?

He's gotten them 33 out of 60 points possible in the league so far during the same time period both Arsenal and Everton have managed 36 out of 60. Its a perfectly reasonable record for a team like Spurs. It's not his fault that all those expensive players turned out to be poo poo and couldn't match the teams ambitions.

Seriously, watch the games. He's an incredibly poor manager with absolutely no clue what he's doing. He seems to be alright at motivating players and they're getting results based on the fact that professional footballers have a rough idea what they should be doing. But he's not helping the team in any way, he's a joke.

His method of choosing midfielders is genuinely park-level "passy lads in midfield, quick lads out wide" regardless of their skillset. It's hilarious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I like that Eriksen is now being called a winger in all transfer rumours because thats where Sherwood always plays him

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Eric Cantonese posted:

There's a lot of players that really don't like him though. That number increases every single time he speaks to the press.

Unfortunately for Tim, that number includes our actual best player.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
De Boer is too cool and good for Spurs, I hope he doesn't do it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MrBling posted:

Its that his tactics are baffling at best and he seems to no clue on how to actually utilise his players in the best way possible. Nothing to do with beautiful football.

When you're getting bossed by 10-man stoke for an entire half, something is loving wrong with your tactics.

Yeah when your tactics are bad and you don't know how to utilize your players what happens is your form improves and you manage to maintain pace with your rivals.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

That's fine and all but maybe the club and fans shouldn't discuss the dude like he's a cancer plauging their organization and at least recognize that he's righted the ship and has done alright.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 27s
Breaking news regarding Tottenham Hotspur coming up on #ssn

It's happening?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Stinky Pit posted:

Yeah when your tactics are bad and you don't know how to utilize your players what happens is your form improves and you manage to maintain pace with your rivals.

That's fine and all but maybe the club and fans shouldn't discuss the dude like he's a cancer plauging their organization and at least recognize that he's righted the ship and has done alright.

I don't think their form really did improve though. It stayed about where it was. Turns out having a far better team than most of the league means you outperform them even with a shite manager

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

oliwan posted:

De Boer is too cool and good for Spurs, I hope he doesn't do it.

Same. He'll be out in a couple of months and it'll be sad.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Oh for fucks sake at least let us have a crack against him. This isn't fair.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I hope whoever comes in buys a literal left back.

Having a converted winger, a right back and two centre backs as your left back option is just ludicrous and it has been going on for far too long.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jose posted:

I don't think their form really did improve though. It stayed about where it was. Turns out having a far better team than most of the league means you outperform them even with a shite manager

It improved slightly. Something like 55% of possible points for AVB and 65% for Sherwood, not amazing but the dude has done fine, and its not his fault 100M in players like Soldado turned out to be total trash. Its one thing for Spurs to be interested in a manager they know can match their ambitions its another for them to pretend Sherwood has done them a massive disservice.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Spangly A posted:

Seriously, watch the games. He's an incredibly poor manager with absolutely no clue what he's doing. He seems to be alright at motivating players and they're getting results based on the fact that professional footballers have a rough idea what they should be doing. But he's not helping the team in any way, he's a joke.

His method of choosing midfielders is genuinely park-level "passy lads in midfield, quick lads out wide" regardless of their skillset. It's hilarious.

Sounds a bit like one of England's other top, top managers.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Spurs loss will be Norwich's gain, I can't wait till Sherwood is our manager and proves all you idiots wrong

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Eric Cantonese posted:

Adebayor did salute AVB and it freaked him out so much it took Levy 3 hours to coax him out of his safe space

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

he throws fits, it was easily believable when a rumor came up that he popped a player in the face, and he wears blazers improperly

Sherwood out.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Blue Screen Error posted:

Spurs loss will be Norwich's gain, I can't wait till Sherwood is our manager and proves all you idiots wrong

He'll lose both games against Ipswich and throw his coat on the ground in anger.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Bewildrbeast posted:

he throws fits, it was easily believable when a rumor came up that he popped a player in the face, and he wears blazers improperly

Sherwood out.

These are all reasons I want Sherwood in

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Sherwood comes off as completely clueless outside of yelling a lot and the defenders are acting even more retarded than under AVB. Imagine buying £100m worth of players and making Harry Redknapp, a man who convincingly defended himself in a court of law by claiming he can't read or write, look like a football genius by comparison.

Jose posted:

The A league owns purely because of the bloopers video that gets released after each season

Last page but jesus christ, I had no idea. I thought the A League was approximately MLS levels of dull-bad, but now I'm pretty sure I played in a rec league better than this.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I hope Sherwood stays at Spurs purely because of his post-match interviews. Every time they lose he just stands there completely shell shocked, mumbling about passion and grit while staring into middle distance. I love it.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

MrBling posted:

I hope whoever comes in buys a literal left back.

Having a converted winger, a right back and two centre backs as your left back option is just ludicrous and it has been going on for far too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3BXhdbkbXY

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Antares posted:

Last page but jesus christ, I had no idea. I thought the A League was approximately MLS levels of dull-bad, but now I'm pretty sure I played in a rec league better than this.

I will say what I say every time somebody says this. The A league is about league 1 quality overall. Its actually very similar to MLS in terms of football quality. What other leagues don't have that we do is somebody going through the entire season of matches and picking out the hilarious idiocy. Just last weekend you had something so hilariously bad it would be on the A League blooper reel when first in the prem polayed third as Gerrard fell down and gave away a goal.

(nice mletdown)

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

euroboy posted:

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 27s
Breaking news regarding Tottenham Hotspur coming up on #ssn

It's happening?

Oh please yes. Just let Spurs finish the season with Freund

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

I will say what I say every time somebody says this. The A league is about league 1 quality overall. Its actually very similar to MLS in terms of football quality. What other leagues don't have that we do is somebody going through the entire season of matches and picking out the hilarious idiocy. Just last weekend you had something so hilariously bad it would be on the A League blooper reel when first in the prem polayed third as Gerrard fell down and gave away a goal.

(nice mletdown)

Yeah the A League is really not that terrible. It probably produces more talent than the MLS to be perfectly honest.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Sherwood doesn't believe in defensive midfielders that's why he should be fired he's still playing for Kenny Daglish in his head

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Considering how decent the Australia national team is, the A League really can't be that bad.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Very few of the decent players actually play here.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Plus our national team is really a bit shite.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Modus Trollens posted:

Sherwood doesn't believe in defensive midfielders that's why he should be fired he's still playing for Kenny Daglish in his head

He's sounding more and more like the anti-Hughton

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Why isn't Redknapp being considered for United?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Maoist Pussy posted:

Jamie? He's got that Sky gig

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Maoist Pussy posted:

gently caress YOU

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

big dumb 'arry would love a bit of united imo

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm, now spurs are saying they actually didn't approach De Boer, een though he said they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdog
May 7, 2013

oliwan posted:

Hm, now spurs are saying they actually didn't approach De Boer, een though he said they did.

Same thing happened with Juande Ramos

• Locked thread