Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Michael Owen's England World Cup squad

No Rodriguez, Henderson or Lallana?

Defoe?!

Butland?!

Zaha?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Sturridge
Sterling-Rooney-Lallana
Gerrard-Henderson
Baines-Cahill-Jagielka-Johnson
Hart

That's the team for me.

As for Shaw/Cole I'd hope they take the former. In no way does Cole deserve to be first choice and Shaw is absolutely incredible for his age and deserves the call up.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Spangly A posted:

Lallana plays a free role and I'd genuinely drop Rooney for him right now. Hell, Barkley starts over Rooney on form.

But definitely Sterling on the right ffs, you want him linking up with Johnson since they train together all year.

The idea would be that the front four would shift around a lot. Basically play in the same shape as Liverpool have with Rooney doing the Suarez role and Lallana the Coutinho role.

Honestly could see that team doing well. All of those players are in form, all have huge work rates, none are played out of position, and they'd mostly be playing in a system they're used to.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

I would play carrick over Henderson personally and Shawcross over Jagielka but the Shawcross ship seems to have sailed now.

I am pretty sure if Shaw goes he will either be ruined or another Walcott. 17 is too young to be playing in a senior tournament.

Carrick?! Good god no. Henderson is the perfect partner for Gerrard as he A. Plays alongside him every week and B. Does the running Gerrard can't. Carrick is immobile and offers nothing more than what Henderson and Gerrard provide. United fans will tell you how disappointing Carrick has been this season

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

Rodriguez plays on the left for Southampton right? Surely it should be him starting for England with Sterling on the right. Unfortunately even though he's the second highest scoring England player this season he won't because he'll be seen as a striker instead of a winger or whatever and Townsend will go lol

He should definitely be on the plane. He's far more versatile than Townsend, is in form and, most importantly, is good at football.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

I know Gerrard has had this resurgence as a holding mid at Liverpool under rodgers but I am absolutely certain the moment he pulls on an England shirt he will be holywood look at me england gerrard.

Gerrard has been England's best player for some time now. It's not just Liverpool supporters saying this. Not only that but he's arguably been one of the best midfielders in Premier League this season- certainly stats wise. You'll never admit this as you hate Liverpool but most sane people know that Gerrard is there on merit rather than reputation.

Also here are some fun stats for you.

Stoke totally changing the style of their play under Hughes...

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Spangly A posted:

AJ and Davies are good shouts for a squad callup too but noooooobody cares.

Andy Johnson and Kevin Davies are past it mate

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

There are far too many managers insistent on putting completely one footed wingers on the opposite wings. It makes them so loving easy to mark out of the game as it's obvious what they're going to do all the time.

How professional footballers can be so one footed amazes me.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blue Screen Error posted:

Imo whoever they get has a Moyesian task on their hands

Who do you like for the Norwich job?

Surely Malky would be right up there as both a popular and likely choice?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

CareyB posted:

The Cardiff badge and kit fiasco really digs at me but other than the cliche of going American sports team with their name I don't really see the name change as such a massive deal. It'll sound loving stupid if announcers call them by their full name, but I bet it bloody works as a marketing tool. I'm guessing a lot of the supporters frustration is born through not wanting to relinquish their (perceived) control of the football club, and seeing this happen elsewhere

I couldn't disagree more.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Honestly, what the gently caress were they thinking.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Wenger is a great manager and I'd rather see him retire than to give up his ideals and start throwing money around.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

is that, the match of the season, this weekend? I'm absolutely salivating at the thought of it.

I'm making GBS threads myself tbh.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Headhunter posted:

I'm so mad at some of my fellow Everton fans right now. A few that I know would rather we lose to City if it means that Liverpool don't win the title. They would happily give up a chance at CL qualification just to spite Liverpool. Madness.

I hope you guys get Champions League. I've enjoyed the Everton games I've seen this season and Martinez is great.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

Some of the local papers think Newcastle are going to sign Jack Colback on a free after he leaves Sunderland at the end of the season. Can see that going down well

For some reason I always think of this when I think of Newcastle United
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91eIDu6Aw-8

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

ragle posted:

None of this kept Ronaldo from forcing a move to Madrid 3 years younger than Suarez is now.

They'd have to pay crazy money and given the amount they spent last season I can't see them doing it again. I'm also pretty hopeful that FSG won't sell to anyone in the Premier League. Out of the big clubs left that could possibly afford him that leaves PSG, who have Zlatan and Cavani, and Bayern, who just bought Lewandowski. I don't see Italy as a potential destination as both Milan clubs have stopped spending and Juventus already have a huge amount of forwards at the club.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

I wish tony pulis would run into a Jose press conference naked as the day he was born and headbutt the portugese clown.

We may disagree on a lot of things Byolante but I'm completely with you on this one.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Lol Liverpool fans are so full of angst it's incredible.

I'm pretty happy tbh.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

Villa's players are poo poo and the ones Lambert purchased are mostly injured. It all comes down to that. Being forced to play one of Clark and Baker is the worst. They are both awful. Ron Vlaar is the only good defender in our team and he's mediocre.

I used to want Villa to get relegated as I find it funny when big(ish) clubs go down but I play football with a Villa supporter and he is both a really good dude and a great player so I kinda want them to do well now. I also quite like Lambert. You guys have been seriously hosed by injuries this season so it's actually pretty difficult to judge if Lambert is doing a decent job or there's been much in the way of progression. My mate gets frustrated with the change of formations all the time but is that more to do with injury issues or tinkering?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

I love that Liverpool might win the league despite not being able to defend. Always conceding but still scoring so much you win anyway is a good way to win imo

It certainly makes games a whole lot more stressful.

I think we do actually defend reasonably well as a unit but seem to be more susceptible to individual errors. Kolo and Skrtel are good defenders but you can never quite trust them to keep up their concentration for ninety minutes.

I think next season we'll see a new left back but I'm happy to keep the rest of the back line. Skrtel has done enough to warrant keeping his place and Sakho is going to be brilliant for us. Flanagan would be unlucky to lose his starting spot but we're going to have a far busier schedule next season and he'll be first choice back up to both left and right back I'd imagine.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Come on, Chelsea MUST be doing something wrong too

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TheGoatFeeder posted:

I was looking forward to us wasting tens of millions of pounds on over rated English players to top up our quota damnit :argh:

On a slightly more serious note, a transfer embargo isn't even one of the possible punishments in the UEFA FFP guidelines, so not entirely sure where that's come from.

A fine isn't exactly going to do the trick is it?

What are the possible punishments anyway?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TheGoatFeeder posted:

We'll get a warning, a reprimand and a big fine. It's all part of the rollercoaster that has been City

So it's completely pointless then?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

Remy and Debuchy will finally be back this weekend so Newcastle might finally stop being really poo poo

Keep being poo poo till the last game of the season please

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

There is no way anybody but Pulis is manager of the season. He came in with a club completely hosed and has them in 11th with 40 points.

He's done an absolutely amazing job and if we don't win the league I think he's deserving of the award.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Sturridge is a striker though. Hazard holds our whole team together. Unironically Hazard/Hazard

Lol you're a terrible poster.

Suarez/Hazard for me.

Also I know we say this every year but young player of the year should be under 21 or something.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Will read the match thread in the morning but I just want to say THANK gently caress THAT GAME IS OVER. Awful second half. Lucas, Johnson and Mignolet were woeful and it deeply saddens me that Moses is even an option to bring on.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

jynxed posted:

Watching him reminded me of Roy Hodgson for us, with the things he says; he constantly lowers expectations and is reluctant to change either tactics or make subs until very late on when they cant have overly much influence. Admittedly I think last season the united team was probably the weakest United team to win the premiership and as much as it pains me to say it it was Fergie who made the team much stronger than their sum of their parts, through good coaching and sheer dominance of character (eww I feel so sick saying that really).

Yeah Moyes really was United's Hodgson.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I really, really hope we get to see Ryan Giggs player-manager for the rest of the season and hopefully longer.

I hope he plays himself every game and takes all set pieces so he can try get his goal. But I hope he fails.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The Mash posted:

Welp, bye Moyes. No other way around it with those results.

I honestly don't know who would be good to bring in now.

I'm curious, who would non-United fans consider a good pick? Assuming Klopp is unavailable and other managers at big clubs (Ancelotti) aren't interested. I have to admit I don't know enough about van Gaals style as a manager to have an opinion of him one way or the other.

Maybe Laurent Blanc? But I don't know if he'd want to leave PSG. He's always had a good relationship with United and Ferguson and he seems like a very capable manager from what I've seen.

Martinez.

He knows the league, he's positive, ambitious, plays good attacking football.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'm loving all these Chelsea injuries and bans.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Chelsea are going to come out the exact same way they did against Atletico imo. Which is loving shameful given the quality of their team. Think we can beat them at Anfield. It's the Palace game I'm not looking forward to. Fortunately I don't see City getting three points at Everton.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Teddles posted:

I would love it if all the players who undermined Moyes are shipped out in the summer by the new manager. Imagine if Giggs was told "thanks, now piss off" when he handed over the keys to the manager's office.

That would be the best thing that could happen to United.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lol this is definitely mind games

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Everything is set up perfectly. We are going to knock off Bayern in the Champion's League Final next year and Subway are literally going to make a Munich Sandwich.

Jozy wants his sandwich

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Thirteenth Step posted:

No chance the players are getting rested for Liverpool.

Mind games.

(if it happens i'll be amazed)

This.

Also unless he plans on sending out the youth team his weakened side is still going to be a ridiculously expensive squad. Likely more so than the Liverpool squad.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Modus Trollens posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/23/manchester-united-edinson-cavani-cesc-fabregas

hahaha the Guardian think Woodward is going after Cavani and Cesc again this is too good

I hope they spend all the money on Cavani. He's 27 and overrated to gently caress.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Hilario; Kalas, Mikel, Christensen, Ake; van Ginkel, Matic, Lampard; Salah, Ba, Schürrle.

Chelsea's probable starting 11 against Liverpool this weekend.

Lol there is no way.

I can't even imagine how furious I'd be if I supported City and Mourinho actually did that.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TheGoatFeeder posted:

I think we'd potentially be a tiny bit annoyed if any City fan (amongst all the ones I know) expected us to take maximum points from our final 2 away games.

I'd be surprised if you get six points at Everton and Palace too but I worry that we'll struggle at the latter as well...which would mean if Chelsea beat us at Anfield they'd likely win the title. Hence why there is no loving way he will field a weak team. If he actually does it's not just City supporters that should be pissed off but Chelsea supporters for having such a gutless manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

hadji murad posted:

We are all so happy at our continued excellence in the Champions League and the benefits it gives perennial 4th place finishers that we can give another charity case a bone.

This isn't some first round League Cup match, this is a game that could help you win the title. Fielding a weakened side would be such a pathetic thing to do given the resources Chelsea have.

Mourinho mind games his own fans into thinking he's a far better manager than he is.

• Locked thread