Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

TheRat posted:

I remember there was some talk in the CL thread about a commentator calling Antonio Valencia one of the fastest players in the world and people (myself included) not believing it. Apparently it's true :stare:

(This test was done on star players, so that guy you know thats a sprinter and also sort of good at football doesnt count)

I dont believe any of these. Mainly because I don't buy that the fastest players in European football from every league are coincidentally also the most technically able, aside from Valencia and Lennon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

TheRat posted:

Everyone knows that Messi and Ronaldo are absolutely stupidly fast though?

Right but I don't buy that Messi is any quicker than, say, Abate. Besides Messi isn't so much a sprinter as he is good at turning ninety degrees at top speed.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

TheRat posted:

You just dont notice it because everything else he does is so good, but Messi's acceleration is godly.

That's what I said he was good at - your list is of top speeds.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
it's from January 2010, it finished 1-3

e: beaten

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
And now that Fellainis been exposed as dross, their team isn't looking nearly the dark horse people bleated on about eight months ago

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
They can't sell Eto'o he's on a one year and there's no £7m saved on wages since they don't seem to intend giving him a new one. lol at paying Torres 9m a year. Theyll have spent £80m on him in total then if they can find someone stupid enough to take him.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
It's probably Fonte

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

pik_d posted:

He's only 23 and is still playing football

Or so he claims

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
He walked out of the club to Apparat's Goodbye

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I love how Cazorla, this season's passenger, claims he'd go back to Spain to win titles. He wouldn't make the bench at either of the top two.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I've been pro Wenger forever but signing one injured forty year old in January knowing two of this season's best players would be injured until now is unforgivable. We lost and drew four games in December and we knew that March would have a worse fixture run of Bayern, Spurs, Bayern, Chelsea, City, Everton.

Plus he's been utterly smashed five or six times this season. Has Mourinho ever been completely turned over? Barcelona 5-0 and Dortmund 4-1, and the only other game I can think of is when he lost to Boro 3-0.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

blue footed boobie posted:

Ideally I think the three behind the striker will be Ozil behind the striker and some combination of Wilshere/Walcott/New Left Winger on the wings.

Ramsey?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
How different this season would have been had we bid 50m for Suarez lol

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

blue footed boobie posted:

They wouldn't have sold for 50 tbh.

He was a good player that was banned for the next few months. He'd been banned for cumulatively 19 games in two seasons the first of which he'd spent being as unclinical as possible.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
He was a player desperate to leave and he wasn't THAT good last year. He was overvalued at 55m because Liverpool, a team which finished seventh in the league, were supposedly hosed without him. Now he's worth more than Bale ever was imo.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

Birmingham
Spurs
Wigan
Pompey
Swansea

Liverpool as well.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

I could have included United, City, and Chelsea as well but left them out for obvious reasons.

Dalglish's Liverpool have a lot more in common with Arsenal than those three who from 2006 have had much better squads than Arsenal.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

Liverpool won the Champions League in 2005, it's a bit of a stretch to throw them in with Brum, Pompey, and Wigan.

Dalglish's squad didn't. If City won the cup in 2005 you could list them too.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

Especially after they paid the 2nd highest fee ever for a player in the Premier League.

In that same window City, Chelsea and Spurs spent like 250m combined.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

So three other clubs paid double what Arsenal paid for one player and brought in multiple players instead, cool.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

That Arsenal aren't really competing financially by buying ONE player over both windows, even if that player is 40+m

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

Arsenal need to compete financially if they want to win poo poo, that's what I think is so frustrating for Arsenal fans. Spunking 20m on some good but not world class dude and buying three African boys from Ligue 2 isn't going to win you trophies.

Agreed

Also I was wrong: Spurs, Chelsea and City all spent over 100m each on players this year.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

irlZaphod posted:

Wow all those clubs combined spent more than a single club? :eyepop:

Just because they're not competing financially doesn't mean they can't. Spending £40m on Ozil isn't something any club could do. No, they don't have the level of financial backing that City/Chelsea/PSG do, but they're not broke. Those clubs aren't spending £500m/£1bn every transfer window, they just spent big initially to get their squads up to a level where they could compete at the top of the Premier League and in Europe. Arsenal didn't really need that step up because they had a quality, title-winning squad. The problem (one of them, at least) was that the quality players left and weren't properly replaced.

All three clubs spent 100m each. My point is exactly that - they can compete financially with at least Liverpool or Spurs or maybe even United, but they're not. And spending 40m in total in one year is not evidence that they did compete financially this year. Even United, Liverpool and Everton spent 60m, 50m and 30m respectively.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

irlZaphod posted:

As mentioned already, Spurs only spent a load of money because they got a load of money for Bale. Arsenal don't have the financial backing of City/Chelsea, no, but they're not poor.

That's what I'm saying, and if we're talking net spend then Arsenal are still not competing simply because of Ozils fee. He came off the back of selling Fabregas, RVP, Gervinho, Song, Clichy, Nasri.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

not not luvd posted:

1 - City
2 - Chelsea
3 - Liverpool

Order of who I'd rather win the league this year.

Why on earth would you want Chelsea to win over Liverpool.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

TelekineticBear! posted:

I don't see anyway Suarez leaves liverpool, they're all but guaranteed champions league football next year, hes the main man in the team that could end up winning the title and it would take Bale esque money for Liverpool to even consider selling him

He'll get a season long ban somehow

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

The Mash posted:

I saw Flanagan call it the biggest game for Liverpool since 2005

Liverpool were in a pretty big game in 2007

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Chelsea basically need City to lose at Anfield and Goodison, and Liverpool to drop points to Norwich or something.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

tbp posted:

City could lose a game and if they win the rest they will be above Chelsea

No they won't.

oh right, yeah above Chelsea, but not Liverpool.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Mickolution posted:

Wouldn't they get in if Arsenal were to win and finish 5th/6th?

Apparently not, only if the winner finish in the CL spots.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Burqa King posted:

Are there any other players with first name instead of a surname?

Scott Dan has the worst one.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The council just notified me to prepare for a Chelsea victory parade next month lol

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

euroboy posted:

Are we talking first player ever even if we include pre-1992?

Apparently first player in the post war era to win the league with three different clubs.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Shocking from Manchester United, they've become Chelsea.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Meulensteens available isn't he

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

emjayo posted:

where will davey moyes go next?

Barcelona

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

c0burn posted:

Maybe they should compare it to Fergusons last 34 games. United weren't champions when he took over.

Ferguson took a top 4 side into midtable for his first few years, then sold all their major players.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
How stressful could managing a football club be. If someone put me in charge if Real Madrid for ten million a year it'd be like you dunked me in the fountain of youth.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Looking forward to the next manager taking them to sixth next year

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
It's not even been a year since Ferguson retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009