Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

blue footed boobie posted:

Also, the best part of this story is that United made the decision to sack Moyes months ago, but waited until they were mathematically eliminated from the CL to do it. What a ridiculous small time mentality.
Be interesting to see how much money they saved if this is true. As poo poo as United have been, they were still only 6 points out of 4th at the end of Jan. It was far from a hopeless situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

tbp posted:

Idk I disagree with this, a 14 match win streak not being accomplished isn't exactly a huge gently caress up

That said I do think they'll win it

To win the title with a 14 game win streak would be pretty loving insane. I'm really excited for the Chelsea match.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

quiet enjoyment posted:

Am I to understand that if Liverpool get a 14 game win streak they might still not ... get a trophy for that?

A 14 game win streak would, in fact, earn Liverpool a trophy called the English Premier Barcaleys Premier League Championship Trophy (British).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Charlotte Hornets posted:

continental european football will absolutely trounce this pool back four
English sides have routinely trounced this pool back four - just been outscoring them somehow.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'd just be happy with Liverpool buying a left back as far as starters go. Obviously we need depth on the bench (probably another central midfielder and a winger) but we have some quality loan signings coming back that will pad the squad out. I like Johnson a lot and although he's had a patchy season would be happy if he's our starting right back next season.

Will be interesting to see who leaves. Moses and Cissokho won't be bought after their loans (thank god). Aspas will probably be sold rather than loaned given the fact that he's 26. I can see Borini being kept on although I don't think he quite fits in at Liverpool. There are probably question marks over Jose Enrique and Lucas too.
I know Borini scored the penalty against Chelsea but he had 4 goals in a full season's worth of games, and 2 of those were penalties. Yes this was a really, really poo poo Sunderland side but the times I saw him play, I never thought he looked like he was growing into a great forward who could back up Suarez/Sturridge.

cheese fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 25, 2014

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Edit: Dbl post

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Haha gently caress me, I like to imgaine he walking over and hi fiving a smiling Sturridge right after he says that.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

vyelkin posted:

The Telegraph are saying, without quotes of course, that United's next manager will be told to win the league next season.

There's also some choice quotes from Rooney in there saying he wants Giggs to be the permanent manager. Do it, Glazers. You know you want to.

This 200m pound number. Does anyone really, truly believe that Manchester United, run by the Glazers, are going to go out and spend 200m pounds in a single transfer window after dropping 65m on Fellani/Mata this year? 265m+ on players in a 12 month period? Did City or Chelsea ever do that at the height of their buying frenzies? The whole thing sounds so absurd like a kid plugging his ears and screaming about how his dad is gonna beat up your dad, just you wait and see!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ravel posted:

Between summer 2009 and summer 2010 didn't City buy Dzeko, Toure, Silva, Balotelli, Milner, Kolarov, Tevez, Ade, Lescott, Santa Cruz, Barry, Johnson, Kolo. Transfermarkt says that adds up to 290m.
Fair enough. Looks like their peak was 140m of that in the summer of 2009. Still, that was oil/monopoly money. The Glazers are used to making a big profit on United. Assuming United finish strongly (and its not crazy to think they take 7 points from Hull, Sunderland and Southampton) and are 6th or within a sniff, I can see the Glazers convincing themselves that Moyes was the problem and not opening up the wallet like that. Maybe if United were in 12th or something but not with European football in reach.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

mrg220t posted:

Why didn't Rodgers just play for the draw. Aaaaaaaaa I'm melting down here.
Don't be ridiculous. Every time Liverpool have played to keep the status quo in a game, they have been burned. This team is not capable of playing for a draw - the only way to play for Liverpool is to attack and it's hard to fault for Rodgers for not knowing that his plan, which was working just fine, would be spoiled by Gerrard falling over and gifting a 1 on 1 to Ba.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Jose posted:

They lost 2-0 op

Go on

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

jynxed posted:

I was thinking this myself, the league has been won and lost many times down the years on the last day of the season. Chelsea came to frustrate today and they did it well, managed to defend deep and not give away anything too stupid around the edge of the box. Liverpool should have expected this though as chelsea under mourinho arnt the most adventurous going forward. I think Gerrards mistake in the 1st half seemed to be on his mind in the second, he has been great this season and seemed to want to make up for the mistake too much taking the shot rather than look for people who where maybe better options or movement ahead.

The winning streak had to come to an end at some point but still point to play for and still in with a shout for the league. Thats a long way from last couple of seasons.
Liverpool did expect it and played accordingly (a 0-0 draw would not have been ideal but would have left the league in Liverpools hands), but then Gerrard fell down and gifted it to probably the only Chelsea striker I'd put money on converting the opportunity. Not really that complex. Happy to be back in the CL, still have a glimmer of hope for the league and will be gutted if we give it away.

Modus Trollens posted:

"We can still do it" -> "just happy to be here" in one post, drat nice meltdown source your quotes next time
Can Liverpool fans not be elated to be back in the CL and to be challenging for the title while still being hopeful for the next few weeks?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Calling it:

Liverpool: draw v Palace, win v Newcastle
Chelsea: win v Norwich, win v Cardiff
City: draw v Everton, win v Villa, win v West Ham

All 3 teams end on 84 points, finishes City/Pool/Chelsea on goal difference alone

Everton are essentially out of the CL spots and will offer only modest resistance. City are going to win out, book it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Is it not unusual for the manager to be running that kind of a small group training session?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

tbp posted:

Can you petition the good lads at Newcastle to concede double digit goals to Liverpool and also not score any when they play one another
It would be an amazing end to the season if Liverpool won the title by putting 9 past Newcastle. What a half of football if they found themselves up 4 or 5-0 at the break.

• Locked thread