Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

People should keep in mind that a lot of those players will have had a full season under their belts too, so they'll be more used to the league. I can see a lot of those players improving drastically under a better manager. If Spurs really do have Van Gaal lined up and exercise patience, it might be a case of wrongly predicting when Spurs become a scary side rather than if.

So what you're saying is, next year might be their year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Byolante posted:

It would be better if West Ham got relegated due to them not getting a points deduction.

Just relegate West Ham anyway, half their supporters would be up for it if it got rid of the fatty.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Courtois is simply better than Cech now though isn't he?
Both would walk into any other PL team too.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

not not luvd posted:

Fifth and a humiliating exit in the FA Cup and I'm done.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Carrier posted:

Remember when all the arsenal posters posted incessantly about how great giroud was and wanted to marry him? I do.

Arsenal posters turning on their players is beyond parody now.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

not not luvd posted:

It's also not entirely impossible for a player to be brilliant and then not so much later on. Look at Valencia at United for one easy example.

But it works both ways for Arsenal.

I've watched Ramsey since he was a kid at Cardiff so have always known how good he is.
Most of last season he was getting nothing but stick from Arsenal fans.
It's not so much being berated for playing badly, but being written off completely and blamed for their hilarious annual capitulation.
Same thing has happened with Walcott, Ox-Cham, all of their goalkeepers, Giroud, Toure, Arteta, Rosicky, Song, Nasri, Sagna, Wiltshire and countless others.
Other than RvP or Fabregas I can't think of an Arsenal player since Henry who hasn't at one point been labelled as completely worthless by his own supporters,
Not all of them were poo poo.

If you somehow keep buying players who oscillate between world-beaters one year and unbelievable shite the next then perhaps something else is going on besides luck.

not not luvd posted:

I'm sure you can find a better image than that.

It was the actual "you bought me a Lexus and so my life is ruined" girl though, so I get extra marks for that.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

euroboy posted:

Caretaker for the rest of the season or will they get a new manager in asap?

Perhaps they're waiting for Leeds to sack McDermot.
Edit : or talking to Malky?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Headhunter posted:

I'm so mad at some of my fellow Everton fans right now. A few that I know would rather we lose to City if it means that Liverpool don't win the title. They would happily give up a chance at CL qualification just to spite Liverpool. Madness.

I'm assuming you don't have to live surrounded by smug scousers for a year though.
still think you'll get 4th anyway, Arsenal are broken.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

tarbrush posted:

In Proper Football News, Liverpool's goalie kit for next season is pretty hideous.

Like the background.

Derelictè by Mugatu

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

J Hume posted:

Stevie G. to score the winning goal in the world cup final. England 4 - USA 3, with a hattrick from our boy Jozy.

Don't think that can happen because of the draw.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

J Hume posted:

Right...it won't happen because of the draw. :)

Yeah, they've been drawn with Ghana, Portugal and Germany.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Nice to see the foreigners are adapting to the local culture.

I thought Flores only got sent off.
Did he take a fuckload of roids and nick someone's car too?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

There's gonna be a mass brawl when Sunderland relegate us on the final day.

You have Newcastle, Villa, Southampton and Sunderland who will be down by the last day.
It'll be like a summer tour ffs.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Bellamy will score handing Liverpool the title and saving Cardiff.
Then he'll punch john Terry in the tunnel.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ludicrous young player is 25. Should be 21 at most.

I don't know why it's not 23 like the Olympics etc.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Consistently excellent goalkeepers are rarer than 20 goal a season strikers.
Grobbelaar used to make some right loving howlers too.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Remaining fixtures at the bottom

Swansea (36 Points): Aston Villa (H), Southampton (H), Sunderland (A)

Hull (36): Arsenal (H), Fulham (A), Aston Villa (A), Manchester United (A), Everton (H)

Aston Villa (35): Swansea (A), Hull (H), Man City (A), Tottenham (A)

West Brom (33): Man City (A), West Ham (H), Arsenal (A), Sunderland (A), Stoke (H)

Norwich (32): Liverpool (H), Manchester United (A), Chelsea (A), Arsenal (H)

Cardiff (30): Sunderland (A), Newcastle (A), Chelsea (H)

Fulham (30): Hull (H), Stoke (A), Crystal Palace (H)

Sunderland (29): Cardiff (H), Manchester United (A), West Brom (H), Swansea (H)

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Jose posted:

I'm starting to think Sunderland might not go down now :smith:

Depends on the Cardiff games.
(theirs and yours)

Relegating Sunderland by saving Cardiff, Geordie's Choice.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Specifically neglects to mention players or the Premier League.
Mentions a high-profile figure with "considerable reputation".

On a completely unrelated note.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

euroboy posted:

Are we talking first player ever even if we include pre-1992?

Nobody won anything before 1992

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Giggs is going to end the year without scoring in the league.
The most shameful stat.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

emjayo posted:

where will davey moyes go next?

Scotland

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Looks like he's gone imo.
Will probably be done tomorrow when everyone's back in work.

A Giggs and Neville replacement will be best.
Someone competent like Klopp would be worst.

You don't have to manage to be a manager.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I don't understand what their leverage here is.

Brief against him so the press hound him to a breakdown?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

This is easy to say in hindsight, though, but the same still applies to Rodgers (why pick him for the Liverpool job when he'd had two seasons as a manager and his best achievement was finishing midtable with a newly promoted team, no better than Paul Lambert or Steve Bruce) or Martinez (essentially built his career on repeatedly narrowly avoiding relegation, up until he didn't). It's not particularly unreasonable for clubs who aren't Chelsea to hire a midtable manager who's consistently done well.

He consistently did meh though.

You could say Everton and Liverpool have been lucky with Rodgers and Martinez but they both won things playing good football.
There's no way I thought Rodgers would be this good to be honest.

But even Everton supporters were getting a bit sick of Moyes by the end and it should have been obvious he was not good enough for Man Utd.
They hosed up not giving all the money to Guardiola imo.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Like I said, his contract will have performance related clauses in it. I highly imagine hes been on his 'final written warning' or some other HR crap since Bayern booted us out the champions league.

I'm assuming none of the clauses are "get us into the CL or we'll write of your entire compensation package" though.
They'll owe him a fuckton unless he gets them relegated I imagine.

It's Hicks/Gillette levels of pathetic.
It's the club's responsibility for getting into this situation, just pay the man off.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Babby Thatcher posted:

if his name was Antonio Pulis he'd have got the job first time. lucky for United they'll get a chance to put things right

Pulis at a top club has been done before.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Infact I cant think of any other job outside of the finance industry where you get rewarded for being poo poo.

serious gaylord posted:

If I was given a job then spent 9 months being so bad at it the company as a whole suffered and through my actions had a great impact on their amount of revenue I'd expect to get sacked and not get a huge pay off tbh.

Neither of you have much dealings with C-Level recruitment then.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I never in a million years thought the United implosion would be this sweet.
But when they chose Moyes and not Klopp or Guardiola or Ancelotti it was definitely a nice surprise.

Ferguson and Gill must be genuinely hands off now if the club can be so hosed so quickly.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Don't worry, that'll probably take a decade. Unless they buy a bunch of teenagers who turn out to be world class they ain't gonna have the budget to challenge for the league any time soon (right?)

Oh please.
Liverpool are challenging with Kolo loving Toure.
Utd could quite easily challenge for the league with the squad they have now plus a couple of additions.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

James R posted:

Liverpool are effectively outscoring whoever they play as they know their defence isn't the best. Suarez and Sturridge have 50 league goals between them. Gerrard and Sterling take that to 72 between the four of them.

Man United.. Rooney and RVP have 25 between them. Welbeck is the only other in the top scorers charts with 9 to his name. So United's three most potent attackers have 34 between them and an old, injury prone and not very good defence. Whereas Liverpool have attackers scoring for fun and a not very good defence.

In other words, both teams have pretty much the same players as last season.
I'm not saying they'll win the league at a canter (again) but a team with Mata, Rooney, RvP, De Gea and a good manager should challenge.

Moyes has been poo poo, Rodgers improved leading to a change in performance of what is ostensibly the same two teams.
The degree to which Ferguson to Moyes and Rodgers to Rodgers with-a-team-who-believe-in-envelopes has changed things is debatable.

Which is, similarly to when Ferguson retired, I'm personally concerned about whether the Man Utd board will see sense or whether they're dumb enough to employ Giggs and Neville.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Was there any evidence those other managers actually wanted the job?

Not defending the hiring of Moyes, just wondering why people act like Guardiola wasn't 100% going to Bayern and Ancelotti and Klopp weren't totally comfortable where they were.

xx million and complete control of a club the size of Utd would make any one of those three interested.

I don't personally think the current united board understand the importance of the manager without Gill reminding them and so wouldn't offer enough to make anyone decent think twice.

Like Arsene Wenger choosing whoever's going to replace Ramsey.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Answers Me posted:

I love it. I'm gonna miss these vids and people crying on 606 if Moyes goes :(

Imagine the emotional trauma of melting down over United Hero Ryan Giggs leading them to 7th.
The tears will be epic.
At least one of them will call him "dad" by mistake.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

The Mash posted:

I'm curious, who would non-United fans consider a good pick? Assuming Klopp is unavailable and other managers at big clubs (Ancelotti) aren't interested. I have to admit I don't know enough about van Gaals style as a manager to have an opinion of him one way or the other.

In order of please God no -ness.

Guardiola
Klopp
Martinez
Ancelloti
Capello

Utd are a proper organisational mess at the moment and they've got serious leadership issues.
Anyone else would be fine for this Liverpool supporter as although they'd not be bad as Moyes, they'd not be good enough to really turn things around.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

peanut- posted:

Yeah that's what I mean. The number of journalists who knew exactly what was going on from sources inside the club before any official announcement seems like it should upset the regulators.

Never mind the regulators, any organisation leaking board-level decisions with this haste and volume need to be doing a lot of cleaning up.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Raffles posted:

Whilst the idea of Pep moving this summer is preposterous, I would be intrigued to see how he would fare taking over a club that doesn't have the best pool of talent in the world.

I think he's answered the "was it just a Barcelona thing" already to be honest.
He may not be as good as he seems, but he's certainly one of the best managers around now.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Duncan Sperguson posted:

Taff what's up with Moyes falling out so hard with Neville and Woods, you'd think with him bringing them with him there'd have been some form of relationship there but now they seem to hate him as much as the United lot.

You never seen someone promoted to a super stressful job and then c o m p l e t e l y lose the plot?
I'm assuming there were many conversations along the lines of "Dave mate, it ain't working you need to change things" which Moyes ignored.

Watching someone deliberately walk off the cliff you've told them about sort of sours you on them.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

Current new manager odds.

Tempted to put a cheeky tenner on AVB's glorious return to the premiership.

Forgot about Pochettino.
He could do a decent job too.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Raffles posted:

This is what I don't understand. Whatever you think of Moyes he was at the very least a competent manager at Everton. How did he lose all his bottle at Man Utd?

Stress does proper weird things to people sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Shitshow posted:

Does anybody else feel that nobody in the front office / owner's box knows what the hell they're doing and Sir Alex was the one guy holding it all together for years and years?

Gill leaving at the same time was a massive part of this.

• Locked thread