Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inglonias posted:

I don't like kettle corn. I can eat it, but it's one of those foods that shouldn't be sweet and still is, alongside bread and butter pickles, and BBQ sauce in large quantities.

Solution: stop buying lovely BBQ sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Wrap it up, Gohmertailures! The AP has called the OH-08 Republican primary for John Boehner, defeating the guy who got fired from his job over a raunchy campaign ad and a distant relative of George Washington.

I didn't realize he lost his job over that ad. I hope he is able to find something soon.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The AP has called the NC Republican Senate primary for Tillis, who looks to get about 45% and thus break the 40% cutoff that would have triggered a runoff with the Rand Paul endorsed conspiracy nut. So politics is basically no fun :mad:

If there are any silver linings for the Paul camp, Walter Jones looks like he will narrowly hang on in NC-03.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Joementum posted:

If there are any silver linings for the Paul camp, Walter Jones looks like he will narrowly hang on in NC-03.

You sure? N&O's interactive map shows Jones losing at this point. Are the unaccounted areas just heavily Jonesing?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sweart gliwere posted:

You sure? N&O's interactive map shows Jones losing at this point. Are the unaccounted areas just heavily Jonesing?

Onslow and Pitt counties haven't reported yet, which is where people in his district actually live.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The AP just called it for Jones. He's up by 3,000 with 71% in.

For those who don't know Jones, he was the Congressman who came up with "Freedom Fries", but turned hard against the Iraq War after having to write too many grievance letters to families in his district and was a close ally of Ron Paul in the House.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Also two more precincts left and Clay Aiken is just past the 40% runoff threshold.

Joementum posted:

For those who don't know Jones, he was the Congressman who came up with "Freedom Fries", but turned hard against the Iraq War after having to write too many grievance letters to families in his district and was a close ally of Ron Paul in the House.

And Bill Kristol's Emergency Committee For Israel dumped a cool million on ads against him for being too cozy with Iran.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Joementum posted:

Well, that's certainly a turnaround. Good on him.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Last time I went to the Blue Marlin Tournament in Morehead, I was actually able to buy freedom fries from a food truck. If memory serves, it was after 2010.

And tonight, we are all Claymates who've been Aiken for this moment :rimshot:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Blindeye posted:

Just world fallacy. I would give my left foot for a society that never mistook bad fortune for poor life choices, or that punished poor life choices with the false assumption that everyone has good judgment, omniscient information about the world, and perfect mental health.

The worst part is that the Just World fallacy has been around for ages. It's been around so long Voltaire ripped it a new rear end in a top hat in Candide over 250 years ago. The continued insistence by large swathes of humanity that people in terrible situations somehow deserve it only convinces me that most people are assholes. I call it the Just Assholes Theory.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sweart gliwere posted:

And tonight, we are all Claymates who've been Aiken for this moment :rimshot:

Also this guy won the libertarian primary for senate against the purestrain rear end in a top hat Tim D'annunzio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0iw4ewgAMo

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The worst part is that the Just World fallacy has been around for ages. It's been around so long Voltaire ripped it a new rear end in a top hat in Candide over 250 years ago. The continued insistence by large swathes of humanity that people in terrible situations somehow deserve it only convinces me that most people are assholes. I call it the Just Assholes Theory.

It's been around so long the Bible rails against at least twice (The Book of Job and Jesus healing the blind man).

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I appreciate his showboating of NC beer in the video, but that doesn't look like he's stocking Covington vodka, or Carriage House apple brandy, or bros Vilgalys Krupnika, or Topo whiskey, or Cardinal gin. Got himself a nasty case of out-of-state liquor. Bastard.

vvv e: i legit hope this is foreshadowing for him pulling a Perry or Priebus during whatever debates he gets

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 7, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
All candidates should do ads while visibly buzzed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sweart gliwere posted:

I appreciate his showboating of NC beer in the video, but that doesn't look like he's stocking Covington vodka, or Carriage House apple brandy, or bros Vilgalys Krupnika, or Topo whiskey, or Cardinal gin. Got himself a nasty case of out-of-state liquor. Bastard.

Eh he's drinking Sisters of the Moon, which is good enough.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I wish a candidate during the 3rd republican debate could be as drunk as Ric Flair.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Does Perry get an honorable mention?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
That's because Cardinal Gin tastes like pencil shavings :colbert:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Don't get me wrong, I prefer London Dry style gin. Cardinal's heavy on the spearmint and no favorite of mine, but Our State uber alles.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I thought real Americans only drank whiskey and/or bourbon. <:mad:>

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
In mixed news for the LGBT community despite Clay Aiken's narrow victory former Miss Gay America promoter Steve Wiles aka Mona Sinclair came in third in his race for state senate.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Well he should at least get some of the Junior Johnson moonshine, that's NC. It even comes in a mason jar.

nutranurse posted:

Moonshine should count as real American enough.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

Sweet potato vodka (derived, not flavored) is the nectar of the gods. Rye and scotch are fine, bourbon's too sweet.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

CannonFodder posted:

Well he should at least get some of the Junior Johnson moonshine, that's NC. It even comes in a mason jar.
Moonshine should count as real American enough.

If there's one thing I kick myself for not bringing on the move out west, it was as much Appalachian moonshine as I could get my hands on. Hoping to rectify this over the summer.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

SedanChair posted:

Wasn't there a representative government or something in the past 500 years where they would debate bills and proposals in week long sessions that alternated between sober/hammered so that both the public and the representatives could see which proposals stood up and which ones fell apart because they were just smoke screen put up by a grinning face who didn't believe a word he was saying?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Kalman posted:

Is technically M&Ms.
How can it not be jelly beans? Liberals ruin everything.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

May's drink of the month is Casa Noble's Reposado Tequila. It is a blue agave tequila aged in a white oak barrel for between 3 months and 1 year. This gives it a smooth, slightly sweet taste akin to cognac, rather than the usual hard bite tequila has. It's for savoring, not shots or mixing. Runs $45-$60 a bottle.

I was going to make it Casa Noble's Anejo but that runs $60-$110 a bottle (same stuff but aged between 1 to 3 years in the barrel and even smoother) and I wanted to aim for the same price range.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 7, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roumba posted:

Wasn't there a representative government or something in the past 500 years where they would debate bills and proposals in week long sessions that alternated between sober/hammered so that both the public and the representatives could see which proposals stood up and which ones fell apart because they were just smoke screen put up by a grinning face who didn't believe a word he was saying?
This is said to have been a pre-Islamic Persian tradition, I believe.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fried Chicken posted:

May's drink of the month is Casa Noble's Reposado Tequila. It is a blue agave tequila aged in a white oak barrel for between 3 months and 1 year. This gives it a smooth, slightly sweet taste akin to cognac, rather than the usual hard bite tequila has. Runs $45-$60 a bottle.

I was going to make it Casa Noble's Anejo but that runs $60-$110 a bottle (same stuff but aged between 1 to 3 years in the barrel and even smoother) and I wanted to aim for the same price range.

How could you recommend to us a $60-$110 bottle of booze in good faith knowing that the discussion that would take place in the thread would be how poor we are and how much poorer we're going to become???

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

fade5 posted:

What kills me is is that the Air Force respond to the F-35 being a shitheap in a very simple way: service extensions for the F-16s that the F-35 was supposed to replace.

:laugh:
Now let's take a look at the F-16 for a minute:

F-16 cost per plane in 2013 dollars: $20.0-$23.5 million
F-35 cost per plane in 2013 dollars: $153.1-$199.4 million

Still in use today by the US, used by 25 other nations around the globe, and astoundingly cheap in comparison. Now that is a successful fighter jet.:patriot:

Maybe if it and the A-10 wanted to remain in use they'd be deviously setup so that pretty much every state is involved in their production so that it'd be politically untenable to kill them off. :911:

Dr Pepper posted:

It should be noted that people in Utah crunched the numbers and discovered that the cheapest method of solving homelessness, that is literally the method that ends the problem while costing the least amount possible, is to just buy the homeless people an apartment with a social worker to help them (And they keep the apartment no matter what).

Building bigass apartment buildings with units of even 500 square feet and a basic bed (like the cheap lovely things in most dorms), kitchen, and bathroom would help tremendously. Have a handful of staff that work to help them get jobs and/or better education so they can get a job. Let them move out once they're on their feet, or stay if they'd prefer to remain in the recovery unit or w/e you'd call it.

Hell, take a handful of the tenants and train them in various maintenance duties and employ them directly at the complex to help with the upkeep. Give them a home and a path that can help them out and I doubt many would turn it down. Those that would likely need help the most.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

How could you recommend to us a $60-$110 bottle of booze in good faith knowing that the discussion that would take place in the thread would be how poor we are and how much poorer we're going to become???

Lagavulin 16. Near the top of your range. Finest scotch, if you aren't being ridiculous and buying stuff older than yourself.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

nutranurse posted:

exactly why I dialed it back to the $45 bottle

I should take suggestions for the rest of the months. I'm thinking blueberry vodka and lemonade for june, as it is a nice outdoors, relaxing from the heat drink, July demands bourbon, and November should probably be a "drown our sorrows" or a "triumphant victory" type depending on how the polling looks and your politics. Not sure the rest. Plus that makes it more a thread thing and less a my tastes thing

EDIT: anyone have some good rum suggestions?

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 7, 2014

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Nessus posted:

This is said to have been a pre-Islamic Persian tradition, I believe.

According to Herodotus, at least.

Herodotus: Book 1, Chpt 133 posted:

And of all days their wont is to honour most that on which they were born, each one: on this they think it right to set out a feast more liberal than on other days; and in this feast the wealthier of them set upon the table an ox or a horse or a camel or an rear end, roasted whole in an oven, and the poor among them set out small animals in the same way. They have few solid dishes, but many served up after as dessert, and these not in a single course; and for this reason the Persians say that the Hellenes leave off dinner hungry, because after dinner they have nothing worth mentioning served up as dessert, whereas if any good dessert were served up they would not stop eating so soon. To wine-drinking they are very much given, and it is not permitted for a man to vomit or to make water in presence of another. thus do they provide against these things; and they are wont to deliberate when drinking hard about the most important of their affairs, and whatsoever conclusion has pleased them in their deliberation, this on the next day, when they are sober, the master of the house in which they happen to be when they deliberate lays before them for discussion: and if it pleases them when they are sober also, they adopt it, but if it does not please them, they let it go: and that on which they have had the first deliberation when they are sober, they consider again when they are drinking.

I've used this concept effectively to discuss campus issues at the collegiate level. If only Boehner or Priebus would embrace it.

Tacitus cites the Germanic peoples he encountered doing something similar.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 7, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I propose night train served a la paper bag for all months.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

A pint of Guinness a day keeps the doctor away.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Install Windows posted:

I propose night train served a la paper bag for all months.

Mad Dog 20/20 is 18% AbV to Night Train's 17.5% :colbert:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Screw drinking. Just get a sandwich bag, some airplane glue, and go to town.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Sorry to interrupt boozechat by bringing a up a Mormon, but someone said earlier that Jon Huntsman was a far-right nutjob in sane clothing. Was he further to the right on anything than his competition? (I acknowledge the depressing fact that most Republicans would be far-right in the rest of the developed world.)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

comes along bort posted:

Screw drinking. Just get a sandwich bag, some airplane glue, and go to town.

Looks like I chose the wrong week to quit drinking/sniffing glue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Mad Dog 20/20 is 18% AbV to Night Train's 17.5% :colbert:
I fully support a fortified wine of the month. Orange Jubilee MD 20/20 is a good November drink, because it tastes like chemicals and vomit.
Only red grape mad dog is 18%. Wild Irish rose is 18% too and comes in the 50oz jug, so might be good for Christmas when the money is tight.

• Locked thread