Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spiffster posted:

EDIT: Oh crap, they really said that we shouldn't punish businesses for loving things up (In response to Duke Energy dumping that toxic ash in the river systems) :fuckoff:

To be fair that is the state GOP's official position on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Phone posted:

Oh, I forgot one thing that tickles me a bit: Middle schoolers, who are abhorrent human beings, ask GOP candidates, who are abhorrent human beings, about real issues. The middle schoolers have an excuse such as hormones and still developing, but they come off looking so much better and thoughtful than the GOP candidates.

I guess this means that education is going to get another cut because the previous cuts still haven't killed critical thinking.

They were Montessori kids though. The candidates would probably have fared better in gen pop. Well, maybe not in Greensboro proper.:v:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I'm more curious what Virginia's gonna do since the coal ash from the Eden spill is all going to wind up there.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I miss the days when Green Day made good music. That would be before 96 for you youngins. :corsair:

Green Day made good music? :confused:

Fried Chicken posted:

I forget, did that bill ever pass? I mean it would fly through to McCrory's desk today and get signed in the blink of an eye, but I don't remember if it got laughed down in the previous session

It became law in 2012 without the previous governor's signature. McCrory kicked all the geologists, engineers, and marine scientists out of the Coastal Resources Commission and packed it with developers and real estate agents though, so there's that.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 3, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks for this. Why would the developers want to suppress the science in order to build poo poo that's going to be washed out as sea levels rise though? Or is it just some sort a short-sighted money grab where they fleece people to buy beachfront condos that...

Oh.

poo poo. My wife and I are moving to the beach soon and I studied sea level rise before we made the decision. Now I need ot go back and figure out who made the studies we looked at.

Thanks again though. I hadn't heard about all that poo poo in NC. You'd think they'd know better. Ever mother loving hurricane everywhere seems to hit NC.

Coastal NC real estate protip: invest in soundside property. In 30 years it'll be oceanfront! Though in 50 years you'll have a houseboat.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spiffster posted:

How strong is the Tea Party in North Carolina? Is there any chance of them shifting the politics so far to the right that independents start shifting Democrat?

Like Phone mentioned they exist, but the current GOP is far right enough that they mostly overlap.

Though apparently Walter "Freedom Fries" Jones, Jr. has run afoul of William Kristol's Emergency Committee For Israel, and they've been plastering this ad everywhere the past couple weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec_MeIwci7k

Thing is I'm not sure this is all that effective considering probably 99% of his district has never even seen a real live Jew in the flesh. And to the extent any of them give a poo poo about Israel at all it's as an eschatological vehicle. It's not like Jones is going to draw a serious primary challenge, let alone worry about a general election. Like his dad, he's got that seat for life.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chantilly Say posted:

HBO's new prestige drama is really stretching the history this time.

That's okay, I initially read it as James Madison: probable cockring enthusiast.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Corrupt Politician posted:

I've been thinking about the possible consequences of this year's elections, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a net good in the long run for the GOP to take the senate in 2014 by a slim margin. If the Dems manage to narrowly hold their majority, the next two years will basically go the same as the last two, with both parties falling in public opinion. Worst of all, as the party not in power, Republicans can continue to criticize without having to actually govern or vote on workable solutions.

On the other hand, a GOP house and senate would be an even bigger shitshow, with the possibility of more shutdowns, debt ceiling fights, maybe an impeachment hearing, perhaps an extremely visible supreme court nomination fight. The focus for 2016 would shift from the stalemated "do-nothing congress" to how terribly the Republicans have overreached with their thin majority, and how incapable they are of actually governing and working with the president. And in 2016 the Dems will almost certainly take back the senate.

If your goal is to keep Republicans out of power, then obviously you don't want them winning ever. Beyond that, a win for the GOP signals to donors that their money is well-spent which makes more people eager to get involved, while making Democratic donors leery of 2016. The reverse is true as well; Democrats retaining the Senate boosts confidence and makes 2016 an easier sell.

Madmarker posted:

Ugh, I am so tired of my state being in the news for being a regressive hellhole. There is so much to love about my home, but our Gerrymandered to hell and back again Districts and Art Pope really make me question my decision to stay here.

edit-I mean seriously look at this poo poo:

NC was gerrymandered to poo poo back when Dems controlled the General Assembly and thought they'd never lose control over it. It's not so much the problem as the fact the state Democratic party might as well not exist since they're still tearing themselves apart over some real minor pissing contest bullshit. Also after this year only a couple GOP congressmen from the state will have any seniority, the rest are all in their first or second terms, plus two more (6th and 7th districts) will be freshmen next year. So it's not as if they can do that much damage anyway beyond adding pork to bills.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

But your next door neighbor has a newer maybach, a larger yacht and a faster jet. If you don't one up him maybe people won't give you as much money or your wife will leave you or... I don't know.

The only people I know that had that level or money were burning it up on startups they were running so that's an entirely different category from the previous. (Ie, yay I have money now I can do what I want to do!)

Pfft, only a pleb wouldn't know Maybach hasn't made new cars since 2012.:rolleyes:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Justus posted:

Conversely, I know some people who make over $300,000 a year, and still live paycheck to paycheck! All because they blow their money on ridiculous poo poo and carry ridiculous amounts of debt.

There needs to be an upper middle class equivalent term for being hood rich.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Barack Obama does not want Jack Kingston in the Senate and called to tell him as much.

Bonus points for titling the vid in reference to a 2 year old hit pop song, for optimal #youthvote #trending #dogememe #hashtag #socialmedia

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
US Politics April: A Series of Fantastically Bad Derails

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Iunnrais posted:

At this point, the only way to get rid of salary secrecy would be a law mandating that your coworkers' salary information be posted on the same wall as the other mandated employment posters in the breakroom.

This is basically how it works for public sector workers, except everyone can read the salary poster.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 7, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spatula City posted:

Wow, every single goddamn teacher should leave Kansas as soon as they can. That's outright horrible, and the people responsible are actively working against education. How can people even wonder why public education might be failing when the evidence is right here, that it's being murdered deliberately by Republicans so their corporate buddies can take over the system?

That's sorta the plan though; get the experienced (read: we gotta pay them more) teachers to quit so they can put in kids fresh out of college who'll leave after a couple years, and the cycle repeats.

North Carolina came up with a similarly hilariously fiendish plot to offer a nominal one time bonus to the top 25% of teachers (IIRC like $1500) in exchange for signing away tenure forever and moving to 4 year contracts. Not surprisingly few teachers are on board with the plan.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Aren't private schools allowed to basically kick out any coloreds under-performing students they don't like though?

Generally they just don't accept them in the first place, same with disabled children. Charter schools function the same way, and yet they still don't perform better than public schools.:laugh:

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 7, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

The broader issue of vouchers and Michele Rhee-like "student choice" just moves the poo poo around. It's a stopgap fix for a systematic failing of students in the public school system. I mean, somewhere along the way you realize that some kid can't read because they didn't receive foundational support and hit a wall in high school.

"School choice" is a segregationist throwback to the anti-busing protests and riots. The only thing it's a fix for is white students having to occupy the same building (because the way gifted/AP class placement works there's little chance they'll actually interact) with poors and minorities.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It probably wouldn't have been a thing if Christie hadn't poo poo the bed. But as a wise man once said, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want or might wish to have at a later time.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, Christie's just one of about twenty or thirty up-and-coming Republican pseudostars who have managed to poo poo their own beds one way or another, ranging from Sanford to Rubio to Cruz to Cain.

Out of all those only Christie was a potential establishment pick for 2016, and therefore actually stood a chance at becoming president. Which was my point- Jeb's Plan B because the one guy they'd pinned their hopes on done hosed up.

e: If you really want a hearty laugh and/or develop an ulcer guess who else they're floating?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/05/romney-returns-to-public-life-stoke-speculation-about-potential-2016-run/

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 7, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hasters posted:

That's just a non-starter, modern America won't vote for a general election loser and any campaign will just seem desperate.

I think it's meaningless too, but the party actually is starting to get a little desperate with Christie's ongoing situation.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

I'm Hendrixposting so brevity but I concur. It's a really, really funny show. Less partisan than The Thick of It, which wasn't explicitly partisan except that you could clearly categorize the cast, whereas with Veep all the policy topics are milquetoast center-center-left uncontroversial things. It's got a different sensibility than Alpha House, which is way more rooted in actual political context rather than a "politics" atmosphere.

From a couple pages back but yeah everyone reading this thread should get on that poo poo pronto.

Apparently the characters have become shorthand among actual DC people:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/fashion/veep-hits-lots-of-nerves.html?_r=0

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Eric Holder is casting aspersions on Louie Gohmert's asparagus again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay9eThmzp1Q

You forgot the money shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOCih4ZAAE

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Bush isn't stupid, but he's lazy and incurious because he's never had to work for anything in his life.

In other news, Chris Christie really can't take being criticized by women, even in jest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULEh3XRtOF0

quote:

Joy Behar, the former co-host of “The View,” was even more pointed. “When I first heard that he was accused of blocking off three lanes on the bridge, I said, ‘What the hell is he doing, standing in the middle of the bridge?” After another barb, Christie interrupted her. “This is a Byrne roast,” he said. He stood up and tried to grab her notes. The audience laughed awkwardly. “Stop bullying me,” Behar said as he sat down. Christie said something out of earshot and Behar responded, “Why don’t you get up here at the microphone instead of being such a coward?” Christie stood up again and moved in front of the lectern as Behar retreated.  “At least I don’t get paid for this,” he said.

Christie sat down and Behar continued, though she was noticeably rattled. “I really don’t know about the Presidency,” she said. “Let me put it to you this way, in a way that you’d appreciate: You’re toast.”

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

It's important to keep in mind that Gohmert is a loving retard.

I think you mean permanent idiot king.

In somewhat subtle trolling news:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

loquacius posted:

I have no idea how much a weapon rental / ammunition from a firing range usually costs -- are those really outlandish prices for those plus food/drink? I probably would have guessed about fifty bucks for the pistol one, but I've never held a loaded gun in my life.

$15/hr is normal if you're bringing your own gun, so add in another :10bux: for the food and beverages and I'm assuming he got a bulk discount for renting out the entire place.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Abortion: it's kinda like buying a car, or some carpeting:

quote:

State Rep. Chuck Gatschenberger (R) explained to his colleagues on the Missouri House's Children, Families and Persons with Disabilities committee that when he goes to buy a new vehicle, he doesn't just make a snap decision.

"I have to look at it, get information about it, maybe drive it, you know, a lot of different things. Check prices," he said, according to video recorded by Progress Missouri. "There's lots of things that I do putting into a decision. Whether that's a car, whether that's a house, whether that's any major decision that I put in my life. Even carpeting."

"I was faced with a decision that I didn't have very much information that I knew about," he added. "So I wanted to be as informed as possible, and that's what this bill is. Giving them as much information as possible."

State Rep. Stacey Newman (D) called Gatschenberger out on the car comparison in a testy exchange.

"Are you equating that with a medical decision?" she asked Gatschenberger.

"No--" Gatschenberger said.

"That was your analogy, and that was extremely offense to every single woman in this hearing, representative," Newman said. "Your comments were extremely offensive to every single woman sitting in here, whether they're pregnant or whether they're not. I want to point that out, because that kind of attitude is demeaning to women, regardless of what they decide to do."

"That was not the intention. I apologize for that," Gatschenberger responded.

But Gatschenberger was pressing Newman to reconsider the bill seconds later.

"I'm just saying this is a life-ending decision," he said. "You should think about it."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Taking out Saddam probably didn't matter much either way, but de-Baathification was a colossal fuckup.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The #BENGHAZI coverup claims another victim.

She will be missed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Incest: sometimes voluntary. Also, Anthony Kennedy- possible homosexual.

quote:

Delegate Robert G. Marshall has said that disabled children can be God’s vengeance against women who have had abortions. He has described incest as sometimes voluntary, and he has questioned the sexuality of a Supreme Court justice who has favored marriage equality.

But unlike W. Todd Akin, whose offhanded reference to “legitimate rape” cost the GOP a winnable Senate seat from Missouri in 2012, Mr. Marshall is unbowed over his history of controversial rhetoric as he seeks a seat in Congress representing Northern Virginia.

“I don’t care. I mean, if I say something in public, I say it in public,” Mr. Marshall said Thursday.

quote:

Speaking before a pro-life group last year, Mr. Marshall offered a long and detailed argument that Justice Anthony M. Kennedy’s majority opinion in the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling on same-sex marriage was unsympathetic to social conservatives.

But it was the statement with which he capped his remarks that stood out.

“For all I know, Kennedy’s a homosexual,” he said. “You can’t be doing some of these things without this kind of conclusion.”

Like many of his other comments, Mr. Marshall stands by it.

“Clearly, some of the people who are making these decisions must be rationalizing their own bad behavior,” he said Thursday.

quote:

The author of a 1989 Boston Globe column asked him about his opposition to all abortion — even in cases of rape, incest, and to save the life of the mother. Mr. Marshall, then the research director for the American Life League, posed a baffling question of his own in response.

“What if incest is voluntary?” Mr. Marshall said. “Sometimes it is.”

Mr. Marshall confirmed the stance Thursday, but he said the author was missing the point and that the position is based on what is written in law.

“It doesn’t make it right or legal,” he said. “It just gives the facts.”

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Wolfman Nards posted:

LF aka Lasseiz's Faire was a FYAD lite about politics and a sub forum of D&D. It was closed because prominent LF poster and Chilean self-proclaimed "Anime Marxist" Maggot Master made a post entitled "Goon Project: Let's Kill the President of the United States Barack Obama" as a joke. The Secret Service found out and got Lowtax in trouble. LF was closed and its best posters were permabanned. I have been trying to find a new forum to whitenoise in ever since.

Nah it closed because LF went from calling out lovely people in the real world to calling out lovely people on the forums (worst d&d poster), including mods and admin, the idea being that nobody was off-limits, which obviously didn't sit well with mods/admin. The final straw was making fun of former mod Grover's stupid house using his own posts. Grover had a huge meltdown and that was used as pretext to permaban a bunch of posters and close the subforum. The let's kill the president thing was in FYAD.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

This post brought to you by the letter F and the number 22.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Wolfsheim posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but as long as this thread is on a nostalgia kick (I didn't really start reading D&D until like late 2011 so I missed all the LF stuff) what does this gif mean? I've always wondered if I was missing an obvious reference or there was some in-joke behind it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615264

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty sure HK still runs Current Events Inquiry.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/73-year-custody-fatal-jewish-center-shooting/story?id=23310932

Speaking of the Clansman, the spree shooter at the Jewish Center was a former Grand Dragon of the KKK.

Oh poo poo it's the White Patriot Party dude. He was part of the Greensboro Massacre.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

That freeper who shot people at the holocaust museum was in his eighties. I suppose we can expect more of them to go out like that. They get to act out their Turner Diaries fantasies, and as a bonus they don't end up spending all their assets on elder care so their children actually receive an inheritance. Then their kids can use that inheritance to finance a trailer to sell SS patches at gun shows! Everybody wins! Except society!

The Kansas Jewish Center dude's spent most of his adult life living out his Turner Diaries fantasies. This is just the capstone on a long and fruitful career as a professional rear end in a top hat.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 14, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I figured the State Democrats would realize that Scott is utterly reviled by most of the state and if they ran a semi competent moderate Dem they would win.

Unfortunately all the stock down at the unicorn farm was devoured by the Burmese pythons that got loose when Andrew came through back in '92.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah so good luck to each and every one of you convincing the 80 year olds who run your local Dem office you got just the thing to fix their electoral woes through the magic internet box.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Wisconsin Republicans are going to address an important question at their upcoming convention.

Look, sometimes the Federal government is just tyrannical and you kind of have to secede, so Wisconsin Republicans need to make clear that option is totally on the table. An example of that tyranny? How about the recent budget agreement between the House and the Senate, which they have also drafted a resolution to condemn? The resolution does not mention the House member who was a party to that agreement, because his name is Paul Ryan (R-WI).

Somehow they need to work in the phrase "gently caress you, I won't do what you tell me." into the proposal's final wording.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Lewis Black gave a talk at the National Press Club today, dispelling the idea that he'd lost his edge in his old age. Things we learn: he's a socialist, he used to work for the Appalachian Regional Commission, and reliance on entrepreneurship to fix social ills is a crock of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXANL8m6cfg&t=325s

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

joeburz posted:

I can't wait to see the rationalization of this by States' Rights proponents. :allears:

Oklahoma doesn't have home rule but is a Dillon state, so sucks for municipalities.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

1stGear posted:

Income tax is an unknown unknown clearly.

Actually it's a known uknown because you know it's unknowable whether you did them correctly.

Now watch this drive.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hasters posted:

Or you can do what me and my husband do and pay your fair share, but whatevs.

It's just as much of a pain in the rear end if you're on the up and up and have the usual rich people problems of multiple income sources and lots of itemized deductions.

Granted, you're in all likelihood paying someone to do your taxes for you in that case, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Nothing on these last two pages makes any sense at all to me.

Congrats on having had sex at some point in your life. I'm lost here too. Assuming this is about some Dragons & poo poo type book.

SedanChair posted:

Congratulations kid, you're a second-generation nobody.

Surely NBC has a job lined up for the little tyke already.

e: From a few pages back but:

Joementum posted:

Here's a very interesting study on how demographic shifts affect party identification and the (possible) bad news for the Democratic party:

But you should read the whole article.

quote:

It is easy to see how that sort of implicit association in the minds of Asian Americans could bolster their Democratic loyalties. However, such experiences of social exclusion based on ethnicity will probably be less common in 20 years, when there are likely to be 50 percent more Asian Americans and 50 percent more Hispanic Americans than there are now. In that respect, the very fact of increasing ethnic diversity may blunt the political force of minority identities.

:laffo: Was this guy born in a coma only to miraculously wake up right before he wrote this piece yesterday morning?

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 18, 2014

• Locked thread