Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

An Angry Bug posted:

Not just suffering. Dying. Guess our country is run by flat-out murderers.

And always has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

A Winner is Jew posted:

I miss the days when Green Day made good music. That would be before 96 for you youngins. :corsair:

Hah, trick question! Green Day never made good music!

quote:

Also, the first half of the 90's had Deathrow records in it's heyday which musically was loving magic on the level that the million dollar quartet recordings were in the 50's.

This, however, is true.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Phone posted:

There is some tea party presence, but there's no real tea party candidates. A lot of the politicians are old school/good ol' boys, and they're doing everything by the GOP narrative book. The voting districts were redrawn and everything is hosed, emphasis on everything.

The majority of the people aren't happy, but telling them to go out and vote about it is becoming increasingly difficult between the voter id bullshit, cutbacks on popular early voting programs, and general gerrymandering.

US Politics Thread: Everything is hosed, emphasis on everything.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Quoting this in hopes I remember it for May

I'll try to remember it myself, once we get there.

I warned ye, Skinner! Didn't I say that colored chalk was the tool of Lucifer himself?!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

JT Jag posted:

I really wish one of the Conservatives on the bench would just die already.

Well get out there and start looking for Scalia's phylactery, already.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Too slow on the draw, Madmarker, too slow on the draw :clint:

UberJew posted:

Unfortunately his phylactery is the original copy of the US constitution.

Darn, I was hoping it'd be something like Cheney's, which Tuxedo Catfish once described thusly

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cheney the Deathless made a pact with the devil to gain eternal life. What remains of his soul is hidden inside in a dollar bill, which is inside of a wallet made from human skin, in the pocket of a millionaire, who lives in a house in a gated community, on the Isle of Buyan.

If the house is taxed, the millionaire will flee. If the millionaire is arrested for tax evasion, the dollar will be hidden in an offshore account. If the account is seized, the money will be laundered. Anyone else possessing the dollar will cause Cheney to suddenly weaken, and he can only be destroyed by donating the dollar to feed the homeless.

JT Jag posted:

Honestly I think Thomas and Alito are both bigger problems than Scalia. Scalia catches a lot of heat for being a giant dick, but at least he thinks out his arguments. Meanwhile Thomas' jurisprudence hasn't evolved since the gilded age and Alito is one of the biggest partisan shills the court has ever seen.

Yeah, but neither of them is old enough for the lich joke to really work.

Nessus posted:

Then we must roll, and smoke, a giant blunt using that Constitution.

Obama tried that already, in a heroic bid to rid us of Scalia. Didn't work, unfortunately.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chris Christie posted:

The GOP is really good, honest. They didn't mean to hit me, and they're going to get their act together. One day their actions will match their words and they'll be the party of limited government, fiscal responsibility, and personal freedom. You'll see.

Don't worry dear, all your political ideals went to live on a big farm in the country where there's lots of room to run and play.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

computer parts posted:

The definition of class is particularly important to politics though.

True, but we always always always end up in this same circular bullshit about income levels vs. living costs, as "defining class in America" appears to be one of the things we can't handle.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

I was under the impression that discussing pay rates was already protected activity?

I believe it technically is, but good luck actually invoking the law when, a few weeks after your boss finds out you've been doing that, you get fired for some other totally-not-related-we-swear reason.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

In other news, Paul Ryan's new budget proposal has found a new way to act like a Saturday morning supervillain battle against Federal government overspending and overreach:

quote:

The Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services is an independent agency that makes grants to museums and libraries. This is not a core federal responsibility. This function can be funded at the state and local level and augmented significantly by charitable contributions from the private sector.

Because gently caress free access to information for anyone regardless of economic background! Those lousy fatcat librarians probably all have refrigerators anyway.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

computer parts posted:

Or at least one of those.

Either or both, really.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

What's the context here? Regardless, that's funny as hell.

Context is that Gohmert is a simpering jackass, with whom Holder has just about had it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Anyone else disappointed that the Holder hearing didn't devolve into "hey I'm not your buddy pal"?

Don't call me pal, sport.

ColoradoCleric posted:

He has large holdings of gold, if you turned gold back into money somehow he'd instantly be a titan of industry.

And, if I remember right, is heavily invested in gold mining/exploration/futures as well. Another example, of course, of just what a ~*principled statesman*~ was the Doctor Congressman.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

eviltastic posted:

You could say that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4QbJ3phEYs

(source thread)

Dunno if he did in 2012, but during that magical 2008 election season, the good doctor did not specifically advocate for a return to the gold standard. His pitch was for a "competing currency" system whose admitted purpose was to avoid any cap gains on gold holdings. It also would've introduced a lot of pointless opportunities for arbitrage and otherwise been a bad idea, but yeah, point stands, the stance makes sense given where he's got his money.

Hahaha, I'd forgotten about that. LF was a wonderful place, for a while.

Also, though I don't know if this was part of his platform for both 2008 and 2012 or just 2012, he decried the "rejection of the biblical admonition that we have honest weights and measures and honest money," the last of which is entirely code for gold.

FAUXTON posted:

Don't call me sport, chief.

Don't call me chief, mack.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 9, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

JT Jag posted:

Don't call me mack, comrade.

Don't call me comrade, jack.

amanasleep posted:

This stops once we hit bros.

We're still worlds away from that, don't worry. Bro

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

haveblue posted:

Also, does he realize the Constitution had to be changed to accomplish what he's talking about?

Hmm, I thought there was something else that happened just prior to that, which made amending the Constitution possible. Big something, lasted for several years, in which the Federal government somehow...

Nope, can't think of it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ColoradoCleric posted:

Really you could say Saddam was the Hitler of the middle east and did have some plans on world domination.

Yeah, if you wanted to engage in mindless, pointless hyperbole. The man was a textbook tinpot dictator who, at worst, threatened his neighbors alone and could be regionally destabilizing. An entire continent set ablaze was never within his reach or indeed ambition.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ColoradoCleric posted:

The dude repeatedly tried to invade neighboring countries and had the military to accomplish it.

There is far, far more needed for "hey, that dude is like Hitler" to be accurate than just being militarily expansionist, you loving idiot.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Stalin McHitler posted:

This, combined with Ted Cruz's idiocy on facebook earlier in the week gives me the warm fuzzies. :kimchi:

I expect that, if this sort of thing continues, the messaging will change to ":qq:See? Obamacare has made Americans dependent on government just like we said it would! We must repeal Obamacare to restore all that independence it tricked people into surrendering! :qq:"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ColoradoCleric posted:

I don't think there's been a Ryan budget that hasn't been full of ridiculous cuts.

Nor one that's mathematically viable, a trend which I doubt this one will break.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

Ah but see you are missing the explosion in economic growth brought about by the government finally getting out of everyone's way.

Well there will definitely be an uptick in the gravedigging and mortuary industries should his budget pass.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ChaosSamusX posted:

I like how now all of Obama's staff picks have to be contested. I wonder if this obstructionist period will be historically remembered.

Probably, if any presidential historians are reading this thread :getin:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

At least she'd have the dignity to quit the cabinet at the first opportunity rather than waiting around for good news to provide an exit.

Hahaha, Sarah Palin having dignity. You slay me with your foolishness, Joe.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

haveblue posted:

What was this? I remember a few years ago they tried to change the date of conception formula, is this a new thing?
In 2012 Arizona that passed a law that declared pregnancy to begin about two weeks or so before actual conception, thus narrowing the already-short window in which abortion is legal in that state.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

eviltastic posted:

Remember anything else? I've got archives but not search. Is there even archives search anymore? I agree it sounds like way far back. I cruised the sex-tagged threads and didn't see anything like it in abortion or rape-related threads, and there were several.

Were you around when the libertarian Puppy Brigade was still in action?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Except that in Kochisconsin, rather than handing it out, the Central Market Cheese Dispensary would sell the cheese back to the populace in exchange for gold, silver, or scrip.

Hey why narrow your options; I'm sure they'll accept labor pledges in exchange for cheese as well.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Unrelated to taxchat but depressingly predictably, Congressman Dennis Ross (R-FL) knows just what the working poor deserve: not a raise. Why, you ask? Well in addition to the tired "but then crappy burgers will cost more!" nonsense, the minimum wage hides even more sinister implications:

quote:

If the government’s going to tell me how much I can get paid and when I can work and when I can’t work, then we have a serious problem in this country.

Basic labor laws: an intolerable affront to liberty. :911:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lead out in cuffs posted:

http://rt.com/usa/nevada-cattle-rachner-row-268/

I'm surprised this hasn't seen more discussion on DnD, though. From the sounds of it, this was a hair's breadth away from being Waco squared.

It's come up here and in other threads, the consensus seems to be "that guy's a shithead, his supporters are bloodthirsty loons, and the feds did the right thing backing down so we wouldn't have another Waco and/or Ruby Ridge." The big thing to watch for now is what happens when they slap him with massive civil penalties, and whether that provokes his plastic patriot pals into shooting anyone.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

loquacius posted:

Hyperbole is used in politics sometimes, I'm told :geno:

(seriously though in addition to making the most tenuous Godwin ever that guy just sucks at speaking in coherent sentences)

I for one am just shocked that a conspiracy theorist backed by Rand Paul has a hard time communicating in a non-crazy way.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

haveblue posted:

You're all forgetting the important question: Who's Hodor?

Wolf Blitzer :wow:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

I believe.

You see what you want to see.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

isildur posted:

I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.

Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Questions for the history people here: is there any particular reason not to like Ike? Like, most presidents you can point to some hosed up stuff they had done. Does Eisenhower have any of that? The toppling of Iran was done against his orders. He negotiated peace in Korea, the Suez conflict, and with China to curb their expansion, and was trying to do the same with the soviets before the U-2 incident. Worked with Truman on integrating the armed forces, sent troops to force desegregation, appointed Warren to the court, led a major and successful overhaul of our education system, pushed for a national health care system modeled after the VA, built the roads, and, oh yeah, beat Hitler.

Like, I know he had a black personal adjutant who helped dress him and the like and people slam him for that as being racist but that's incredibly minor in my eyes, particularly since that kind of assistant was the norm in the military for high ranking officers back then. There is a better case for hating the founders for owning slaves.

Is there something really bad that my light dusting of history isn't aware of? Because otherwise it seems like he should be held in Lincoln levels of esteem

Any cold war criticism you might level at other presidents of the period applies to Ike to one degree or another, if you want to go down that road, and he's pretty high on the list of disastrous unintended consequences visa vie Iran and Indochina (even though the former is much more due to the Dulles brothers being crusading jackoffs acting on their own). And for all his late/end-term warnings about the MIC, he didn't do all that much to actually curb it while still in office, so there's that. For what it's worth I think he rates well comparably with most others, and is certainly in the running for Best President 1945 - 1989/1992.

Oh, one other reason the modern GOP never really took to him is he almost was on the wrong end of McCarthy when that bourbon-sweating moron accused George C. Marshall of being a communist stooge during the second red scare.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

amanasleep posted:

Eisenhower is justly venerated for all the reasons you say, but he will never be venerated like Lincoln or FDR because he was not an active wartime president so degree of difficulty during his presidency is considered less.

Everyone always ignores Korea.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

Didn't they try this last time in the 60s? "We're not advocates for hate, we just want to preserve the culture of whites in America."

I don't know about the 60s klan, but during the 70s that is pretty much exactly the angle that David Duke took during his time as Grand Wizard.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Bush is incredibly intelligent. In terms of his emotional intelligence he ranks very highly (Bill Clinton agrees with this). One of the better moments in Stone's movie is where Bush, as a DKE pledge, remembers the name of every single member of the frat. That's how Bush's mind works, he has an exceptional memory, good narrative skill and great people skills.

That W could be quite affable and personally emotive is not the same as being particularly bright. The man coasted through college on gentleman's Cs by his own admission, and botched just about every job he ever held. "Incredibly intelligent" my goddamn rear end.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Harry Joe posted:

Wait, this is a joke right? Somehow the darkness in my soul knows it isn't but jesus tittyfucking christ I don't think flags get any redder then that.

No, that's pretty much exactly how it went down. Cheney examined the list of potential candidates and wouldn't you just know it, he himself came out on top.

SedanChair posted:

Grades make you smart? Failing in business makes you dumb? This is all news to me.

While not in any way an exclusive test, being able to do well in college is generally seen as a sign of intelligence, and failing just about everything you've attempted professional afterward is a pretty solid sign of the opposite. Sorry if this completely blows your mind, dude.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 24, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

All this Bush talk brings me back to how completely, desperately hosed the country was by the end of 2008, and I got to thinking, crash aside (because who can predict a bubble, right?) what exactly was the endgame for Iraq? Like, in a perfect Republican world where everything didn't go to poo poo, how was that supposed to play out? And same question for Afghanistan, I guess.

I don't know if you remember, but the subjects of how supposedly-easy (itself a massive misconception) the occupations of Germany and Japan post-WWII both were came up fairly frequently during the run-up to war and early occupation. In so far as they gave it any thought at all, it was supposed to play out like that, further evidence if any is needed that those in charge of Iraq and cheerleaders thereof were remarkably out of touch.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Jesus Christ, how exactly does one respond to the "it's not racist to say black people are moochers and blame everyone and everything but themselves for their woes, because it's true :smuggo:" canard?

With profanities, and possibly violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

The slavery system in America: well known for keeping family structures together.

Come on over to the Freeper thread, if you've got a strong stomach for horrible people. They've been beating that particular drum for a while, particularly even since 12 Years a Slave premiered (their consensus: it's a sleazy hit piece slandering the idyllic Old South and white southerners generally).

• Locked thread