Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Mr. Devereaux, it's "betta" fish :eng101:

Also having worked animal control, they do throw them in the trash afterwards. Live or dead doesn't matter. Also who eats stringy roosters? I can see the new southern delicacy now, Losing Gamecoq au Vin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shbobdb posted:

Re: Cockfighting

I don't really see what is so wrong with it. It is a brutal blood sport, sure. But is it really that much worse than factory farming? I used to go to cockfights when I lived in the Bronx. It was just a thing to do. I eat meat sourced from some pretty loving dark places so it's not like I've got a high horse to ride on.
Factory farming is really lovely, but it at least ostensibly provides nutrition that people require to live at prices the average person can afford. Cockfighting is things dying horrifically merely for amusement and/or monetary gain.

beaten like a losing chickenboxer

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gyges posted:

Who wants to read about 19th century presidents drinking poo poo? There's no reinforcement of parental nagging there. Wear a coat saves lives, don't drink poo poo is just common sense in this day and age.
I don't know, if the recent industrial accidents are anything to go by "drinking poo poo" might become a lot more common.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nessus posted:

So by #1 are you talking about eminent domain or are you being more generic and including things like environmental restrictions? As for #2, ah yes, I recall this coming up-- though I'd ask, how do you expect to defend the 2nd Amendment if the billionaires ever decide they don't like it?
If things ever got so bad that (most) people were starving in the streets and started revolting like the French Revolution I'd bet that the 2A would go right out the window in practice.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Ughhhh We are so going to have open carry in this state soon. I watched a bit of this hearing, these people are loving nuts. I don't get how goddamn gunrights are peoples' #1 political issue, and they are completely ignorant of economic, education and other huge issues that affect their day to day lives more than the fantasy that some dude is going to kick down their suburban door in the middle of the night to murder their families for no reason.
What's really hosed up is in a way they're right, since by focusing only on 2A poo poo and not economic issues the likelihood that some poor desperate person breaks into their house because the social safety net got yanked goes up exponentially.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SumYungGui posted:

I'm continually amazed by how no amount of cynicism can prepare me for reality. Hearing other Republican sound bites earlier today was absolute proof to me. Allowing people to talk about their pay (only not really because they'd be fired anyway but let's forget reality and run with this) would have placed an 'undue burden' on businesses and 'inhibit their freedoms'. People talking is an undue burden? How does someone even manage that with a straight face? The freedom for businesses to do what, rear end in a top hat? Say it. Just say it you god drat empty suits, the freedom to gently caress over the 99% for a buck then flee the country once everything is burnt to ashes.
Remember, these are the same people who think money is speech. But apparently talking about money with your coworkers is infringing on the free speech (money) of employers! Maybe because if you earn more you're taking away speech from the job creators and they have less to buy congressmen with create jobs!:qq:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Whiskey Sours posted:

Why do so many Americans worship the constitution without even knowing what's in it? That line is from the Declaration of Independence and has no legal standing, this man was a goddamn senator.
See also: the Bible.

Because reading is hard. :downs:

edited because formatting fuckup

edit 2:

Man, the new Dark Souls really sucks.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 9, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Don't worry, they thought of that too, which is why we have H.R. 4137: the Preserving Welfare for Needs Not Weed Act of 2014.
I'm delighted they're using the word "weed" in bill titles. Soon we will have the BONG Act, Operation HASHPIPE, and the newest army tank affectionately referred to as The Hotbox.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Swan Oat posted:

White people should be disenfranchised.
I know this is a joke, but some of us are women and gays too so we kinda need a vote.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
Now if someone would just stand up at a town hall with Paul Ryan and say "the fact that you keep proposing these stupid budgets just goes to prove that you are the leading rear end in a top hat in the state."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm not sure you could have posted up a worse idea, barring the suggestion that we somehow make Dick Cheney her VP.
This is a fantastic idea. Everyone on the right would have to explain why Cheney is a terrible choice for VP, soft on terror, etc. And because Hilary isn't GWB, he would actually end up doing what a VP is supposed to; mainly nothing.

Bonus points if she sends him to a country where he gets arrested for war crimes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Three words for you: unpaid poli-sci interns.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Stultus Maximus posted:

What a dick. It's one thing to attack your opponent, it's another thing to attack your opponent for giving you a ham for Christmas.
Unless you're Jewish or Muslim.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

There was a breakthrough in preventing bacteria from adapting to antibiotics and becoming superbugs, identifying a property of Manuka honey that will have huge impacts for medicine and synthetic biology
I haven't heard this, could you provide an article tailored to dummies or sum it up?

quote:

Remember, it is 3 parts bourbon, 2 parts lemon, 1 part syrup.
At this point I think the syrup is Robitussin.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140316132801.htm

Short version: When you have a colony of living things, if they come under attack, they have ways to communicate what is happening so the others in the colony can fight it off. The macro example would be how trees release a chemical if they get infected with dutch elm disease, which triggers the rest of the trees in the area to start secreting chemicals that make them resist the fungus. The micro example are bacteria - when they start getting destroyed, they release chemicals that get the others to start reacting (Here is a TED talk explaining it better). Manuka honey has properties that "jam" the signal, so the rest of the bacteria don't start reacting. The honey then wipes out all of them.

Her couching it in "may" is because her findings need to be peer reviewed and replicated. She found it does, but she is being a good scientist and not overhyping it until it is confirmed.

That's neat. :unsmith: Now we just need to stave off the colony collapse disorder. :smith:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BUSH 2112 posted:

I think the GOP is, depressingly, going to do an okay job of keeping the crazies down. Let's say, worst case scenario for the GOP, no one enters the race who hasn't already telegraphed that they would. The field would probably be something like Walker, Ryan, Paul, Cruz, and Perry. I don't believe that Rubio or Santorum are going to run, but they also have no chance of winning the nom, so whatever.

The GOP knows they can't let that happen. Despite the fact that some people downplay how much the GOPe want to win the White House, they definitely see it as the crown jewel. They also know that no matter how much you polish a turd, you'll never convince anyone that it's a diamond (besides the GOP base, of course.)

I just don't see them allowing such a drawn out process this time, nor do I see them letting crazies up on stage like last time. Having six people on stage throwing raw meat to a frothing audience is good to rile up your base, but it also made them look like a joke. I get the feeling that they're going to do whatever they can to reign that poo poo in this time. They've already kind of indicated their intention to do that by trying to draft Jeb Bush and reanimate Rick Perry's corpse because they know that average people react well to them.

Of course, I hope it all goes tits up and we get to see GOP Thunderdome '16 with even more insane people than before. I mean, hell, Cruz and Paul alone guarantee that we'll get some comedy before they get crushed by someone with an actual campaign.

[edit] Hahaha, gently caress, I didn't see that post that said that Romney would consider another funrun if JB doesn't get in. gently caress yes. Let's do this.
Here's the thing though: the crazies don't give a gently caress about what the establishment will "allow." Drunk Priebus already said that they were going to limit debates because he knows the radioactive poo poo they spewed last time is still making the rounds as jokes. But you think someone like Cruz gives a gently caress about what Reince Preibus wants? He already poo poo all over everybody in Texas to get where he is, poo poo all over his fellow Senators, poo poo on the House for doing exactly what he suggested they do. Rand Paul is probably slightly more realistic about things than his father but the Paulites have blown up before and started throwing poo poo at the walls when they find out that the guys in charge will just change the rules when the rules say the guy they've already decided should win loses.

The people who have been living in the Fox News/Breitbart/Drudge bubble have breathed too much methane and no amount of establishment oxygen is going to get let in. And there's enough of them that if the establishment doesn't at least give their guys lip service then they'll stay home at best and sabotage the convention at worst. All the loonies will do their own debates, their own appearances and if the establishment tries to punish them for it then there'll be hell to pay.

What I'm saying is that you should buy a crate of whiskey, stock in the Betty Ford clinic, and :getin: because unless the tea party completely implodes and disappears in the next year and a half things are going to be way worse (or better depending on your point of view) than 2012.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

Even if you are ethically OK with the death penalty in theory, I don't see how you can sign off on it in practice given how messed up our justice system is.
One of the OK guys (not sure if it was the one who just went through hell or not) is set to be executed because he raped and murdered an 11-month old. I read an article today and it seemed to say that their appeal to the OK Supreme Court was not an appeal on fact; the guys were saying "yeah we did what we were accused of." In this particular case I don't have a problem with the death penalty but for gently caress's sake can't the state at least get it right (I mean physically, I'm well aware of the giant racial problem with the justice system applying the death penalty unfairly)?

kaxman posted:

What has always struck me is that a (more) humane method of execution exists, yet we don't use it. This suggests to me that execution is more about vengeance than justice, which is pretty hosed up.
Yeah, always has been. There's no proven deterrent component and killing someone doesn't bring the dead back.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Warszawa posted:

I can't speak to these cases specifically but just because they don't appeal on actual innocence doesn't mean they're accepting their guilt in fact, it's just that getting an appellate court to overturn a sentence on issues of fact is much more difficult than getting it on an issue of law, if you have both of them.

But of course, compare this draconian sentence for child rape for a rich white guy - rehab and a suspended sentence.
What I read specifically said they never contested their guilt, at least implying they were like "yeah we did this we just don't want to be executed in a lovely manner." Now the original article I read has been sort of cannibalized by the update and the details aren't there or I would post them.

I'm aware of the DuPont case and if we actually had a *justice* system and not just a penal system he'd be in the same place as Warner.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

Which is exactly what is happening. Today Charles pierce reported about the militias and oath keepers splintering because the oath keepers ran like hell after getting a "tip from a credible high ranking DoJ source" that Holder was sending an armed drone to strike their group. The militias are not pleases that they ran, and their leader said he has "swear by the white skin on my rear end" that the oath keepers won't be allowed back
I bet whomever that was in the DoJ (if it wasn't a goon trolling them) is laughing their rear end off right about now.

Magres posted:

Also the moment they run out of whatever saved cash they're burning through to do this instead of working jobs they'll bounce. Rather, they'll ask Cliven Bundy for money and he will go 'hahahahaha no you moochers' because he's a hateful old sack of poo poo.
It would be great if they just started killing Bundy's cattle to feed themselves :haw:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I feel pessimistic, but it's because I'm worried about the (other) white people in charge loving things up :smith:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe this is old news, but looks like the Cliven Bundy situation is breaking down:

http://gawker.com/nevada-ranch-militias-turn-against-each-other-over-dron-1570140614
They don't need the federal government to come in and start shooting. If things keep up like this they will do it themselves.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Carrasco posted:

Don't forget to mention Enzi's rationale for it:

Yes, that is a fantastic reason to screw over about a tenth of the country.
Now I'm kinda sad that Cheney dropped out. Not because she's better but because he might actually have to appeal to someone to get elected.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I also have a hard time believing that in today's job climate an employer would put up with an employee who ignored customers to gently caress around on their phone when there are a hundred behind them waiting for a job of any stripe at all. It's not like unemployment is at 3%.

Also somebody should ask Mr. Enzi how much he got paid to work at those jobs and how much his college tuition and healthcare costs were.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Here's your first look at the monument the Satanic Church is going to request be installed at the Oklahoma State Capitol under their new religious freedom law:

Needs a copy of Atlas Shrugged in his lap.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DemeaninDemon posted:

I imagine there'd be a GOP senator or two that would say "You fuckers are idiots" and vote no as well.
I think John McCain would fall into that category at this point too.

Taerkar posted:

:munch:

I wonder if I can sue the GOP when their Benghazi theatrics give me diabetes alcohol poisoning.
FTFY. Just in case anyone was wondering what Ann Romney is up to, she will be giving the commencement speech at Southern Utah University. Apparently one of the grandkids goes there. Hopefully there will be a transcript up somewhere after the fact.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Oh no, somebody didn't know what was happening half a world away 20 minutes after the fact! CONSPIRACY! Ask these guys if they know what's going on in their offices right at this very moment and I bet they can't answer.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fits my needs posted:

Former Presidents get Secret Service protection for life, right? I wonder if the SS has foiled attempts on his life or if the left is really just a bunch of blowhards who wanted him to be tried in the ICJ for war crimes which would/will never happen.
Not anymore. GWB is the first who's on limited time. Clinton/HWB/Carter still get lifetime.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Congress reinstated lifetime coverage in 2012.
I'm surprised the Republicans let that happen. You'd think they'd vote for terminating it the minute whomever is sworn in January 2017.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I think the solution here is to prosecute people who make death threats so that they become felons and can no longer own guns.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Paul MaudDib posted:

The "in a 5-4 decision..." thing for sure, especially on the basis that this is a core change to the firearm that could result in the firearm failing to function at a critical moment. I doubt the Supreme Court is going to allow a requirement that guns sold be of a type that is less likely to function reliably.

What happens if the watch battery gets low at an inopportune moment, or the wireless chip craps out and the rest keeps working fine and you don't notice because you aren't a prepper who shoots his gun every day? This is a much more invasive requirement than a drop test or something like that.
Isn't the onus on the owner to make sure his equipment is in working order? Take a trigger lock. In places where they are required it's the job of the gun owner to make sure that they know where the key to the lock is, that the lock is functioning, etc, is it not?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The Feds will (and should) keep waiting them out. Because summer is coming and when it gets to be 115 out there many of them will find someplace else to be. Nevada scrub desert is miserable poo poo in the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I live in Utah. I could vote for a ham sandwich and it wouldn't matter unless said sandwich has an -R after its name, in which case it will be elected. Also here Democrats are third party, after "absolutely loving crazy tea party Republican" aka Mike Lee, and "really right wing but less goddamn crazy Republican" aka Jon Huntsman.

• Locked thread