Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

But mention TFR is full of people who fetish guns rather than practice proper care and handling, and it's harumphing and grumbling.

It's more petulant "nuh-uh"s rather than harrumphing and grumbling, but this post was drat near prophetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Bob Schieffer: Romney may consider 2016 run if Jeb Bush doesn’t.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/04/27/bob-schieffer-romney-may-consider-2016-run-if-jeb-bush-doesnt/

Yesssss please.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

It's more petulant "nuh-uh"s rather than harrumphing and grumbling, but this post was drat near prophetic.

It's easy to prophesy "people won't like me saying dumb poo poo" and then say dumb poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oh please let Mighty Mom Jeans Mitt run for president again. I will sell my soul for this to happen. :allears:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

Oh please let Mighty Mom Jeans Mitt run for president again. I will sell my soul for this to happen. :allears:

Careful, Nixon lost his first bid but then...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My Q-Face posted:

Just like paying everbody a minimum wage of $100,000.00 per hour is the logical outcome for any argument in favor of raising it.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't say anything about brandishing or carrying or creating a public panic, it's strictly about ownership.

I think the keep and bear portion of the amendment supports open carry.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Who What Now posted:

2016 is shaping up to be fantastic since along with the potential for Mitt we also have Rand, Cruz, Santorum, Perry, and Rubio. Now all we need is the Cain Train, Sky Admiral Bachmann, and Leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces and the GOP nuthouse will be in full swing.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

A Winner is Jew posted:

2016 is shaping up to be fantastic since along with the potential for Mitt we also have Rand, Cruz, Santorum, Perry, and Rubio. Now all we need is the Cain Train, Sky Admiral Bachmann, and Leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces and the GOP nuthouse will be in full swing.

There really has never been a better time to be a popcorn politico.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ron Jeremy posted:

I think the keep and bear portion of the amendment supports open carry.

What if I think bears are dangerous enough without giving them access to firearms?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
At this point I'm ready to totally give up the gun control fight because there's more important fish to fry, and it'd probably take an entire school being shot to death in a school shooting for even a single NRA member to start to reconsider their positions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Spatula City posted:

At this point I'm ready to totally give up the gun control fight because there's more important fish to fry, and it'd probably take an entire school being shot to death in a school shooting for even a single NRA member to start to reconsider their positions.
More or less (if it's a fairly big school).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Spatula City posted:

Probably

quote:

"Yeah, that's probably the only way we'd reassess much of anything at this point: 1,000 dead kids, shot up pretty good, lying face down in the school auditorium or something like that," LaPierre said, noting that anything less than 1,000 dead kids would not be enough for the NRA to stop urging Congress to pass pro-gun legislation. "I mean, that's just a ballpark number, but I imagine seeing 1,000 or so body bags being wheeled out of a school and a whole town of crying parents would probably make us reflect on our values for at least a little bit."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
e:f,b twice

Spatula City posted:

It would take 1,000 dead kids. Teachers don't count. And for argument's sake, let's say it's a situation where 999 people die and the 1,000th person is just the school shooter blowing his brains out, that seems more like an isolated incident that shouldn't really impact everyone's rights, you know.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
And those were well-off mostly white kids too.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I think the GOP is, depressingly, going to do an okay job of keeping the crazies down. Let's say, worst case scenario for the GOP, no one enters the race who hasn't already telegraphed that they would. The field would probably be something like Walker, Ryan, Paul, Cruz, and Perry. I don't believe that Rubio or Santorum are going to run, but they also have no chance of winning the nom, so whatever.

The GOP knows they can't let that happen. Despite the fact that some people downplay how much the GOPe want to win the White House, they definitely see it as the crown jewel. They also know that no matter how much you polish a turd, you'll never convince anyone that it's a diamond (besides the GOP base, of course.)

I just don't see them allowing such a drawn out process this time, nor do I see them letting crazies up on stage like last time. Having six people on stage throwing raw meat to a frothing audience is good to rile up your base, but it also made them look like a joke. I get the feeling that they're going to do whatever they can to reign that poo poo in this time. They've already kind of indicated their intention to do that by trying to draft Jeb Bush and reanimate Rick Perry's corpse because they know that average people react well to them.

Of course, I hope it all goes tits up and we get to see GOP Thunderdome '16 with even more insane people than before. I mean, hell, Cruz and Paul alone guarantee that we'll get some comedy before they get crushed by someone with an actual campaign.

[edit] Hahaha, gently caress, I didn't see that post that said that Romney would consider another funrun if JB doesn't get in. gently caress yes. Let's do this.

BUSH 2112 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 28, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Not sure why that would change anybody's mind. The positions are the same, they would want armed guards in the school.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SedanChair posted:

Not sure why that would change anybody's mind. The positions are the same, they would want armed guards in the school.
We know. Believe me, we know.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Except the paranoia from such a shooting would only drive up gun sales, necessitating the existence of the NRA because they live to ensure that guns are being sold to people.

No comment on 2A politics from me at all, but really TFR is dumb if they think the NRA aren't industry shills just because they don't get all their money from industry. That's like saying Republicans aren't shills for rich people just because most of their voters are poor. That the NRA can extract most of its money from people it doesn't really care about is irrelevant: the organization is very deeply tied to the industry through its high-ranking members.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mineaiki posted:

Except the paranoia from such a shooting would only drive up gun sales, necessitating the existence of the NRA because they live to ensure that guns are being sold to people.

No comment on 2A politics from me at all, but really TFR is dumb if they think the NRA aren't industry shills just because they don't get all their money from industry. That's like saying Republicans aren't shills for rich people just because most of their voters are poor. That the NRA can extract most of its money from people it doesn't really care about is irrelevant: the organization is very deeply tied to the industry through its high-ranking members.

TFR, for all its other flaws, is entirely aware the NRA is nothing more than a shill group for the gun industry, and you're not likely to find many kind things said about that organization in that subforum.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BUSH 2112 posted:

I think the GOP is, depressingly, going to do an okay job of keeping the crazies down.

There's always some crazies in the race though. 2012 was definitely a stand out and I (sadly) doubt we'll ever see anything quite like Herman Cain again, but Alan Keyes, Gary Bauer, Tom Tancredo, Sam Brownbeck, and Pat Buchanan are all campaigns that happened. There will be someone filling those shoes in 2016.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

BUSH 2112 posted:

I think the GOP is, depressingly, going to do an okay job of keeping the crazies down. Let's say, worst case scenario for the GOP, no one enters the race who hasn't already telegraphed that they would. The field would probably be something like Walker, Ryan, Paul, Cruz, and Perry. I don't believe that Rubio or Santorum are going to run, but they also have no chance of winning the nom, so whatever.

The GOP knows they can't let that happen. Despite the fact that some people downplay how much the GOPe want to win the White House, they definitely see it as the crown jewel. They also know that no matter how much you polish a turd, you'll never convince anyone that it's a diamond (besides the GOP base, of course.)

I just don't see them allowing such a drawn out process this time, nor do I see them letting crazies up on stage like last time. Having six people on stage throwing raw meat to a frothing audience is good to rile up your base, but it also made them look like a joke. I get the feeling that they're going to do whatever they can to reign that poo poo in this time. They've already kind of indicated their intention to do that by trying to draft Jeb Bush and reanimate Rick Perry's corpse because they know that average people react well to them.

Of course, I hope it all goes tits up and we get to see GOP Thunderdome '16 with even more insane people than before. I mean, hell, Cruz and Paul alone guarantee that we'll get some comedy before they get crushed by someone with an actual campaign.

[edit] Hahaha, gently caress, I didn't see that post that said that Romney would consider another funrun if JB doesn't get in. gently caress yes. Let's do this.

2012 was ONLY about riling up the base, testing talking points and messaging for next time, etc.

They GOP establishment knew they stood absolutely no chance against Obama. 2016 will be their real try for the presidency because they actually stand a chance this time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

We know. Believe me, we know.

Armed Guards is a stupid idea, though. What we need are automated emplaced gun-turrets that pop out of the ceiling. We can replace the sprinkler system with them! That way there will always be sufficient firepower to put down any shooter within the school.

On topic, even though contenders are already tentatively throwing hats into the ring, is it too early to start putting bets on who will end up getting the nomination? Personally if Jeb or R-Money run for it I suspect they'll also win. I don't really see anyone else that is bland enough to "appeal" to a wide enough demographic to even pretend to have a chance in the GE.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Captain_Maclaine posted:

TFR, for all its other flaws, is entirely aware the NRA is nothing more than a shill group for the gun industry, and you're not likely to find many kind things said about that organization in that subforum.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Re-read what I wrote about context being important. Compared to any of the groups that really are "very wealthy and powerful and influential" the amount of money the NRA is throwing around isn't that much. Yes they outspend the Brady Campaign and MAIG, but that says less about the NRA being a well funded voice of a very wealthy and influential lobby and more about the total lack of interest on the part of anybody in donating money to the anti-gun cause.

To put things into perspective, a computer game company got a bunch of internet nerds to donate 2 million more dollars for the development of a computer role playing game than the NRA spent in all of 2013.

When you're being out spent by people crowd-sourcing nostalgic nerds to make sequels to classic computer games you aren't exactly the 800 pound gorilla stomping around capitol hill throwing money left and right. If you want to see THAT in action look at Comcast, Northrop-Grumman, and a few of those big trade groups that I highlighted above.

Frankly I have no idea how MAIG and the Brady Campaign manage to spend so little. You'd think they could just crack open a fund raising campaign on facebook or kickstarter or something and try to squeeze a buck or two out of the kinds of people who like to change their profile picture as an "act of solidarity" with someone else's social movement while patting themselves on the back about how progressive they are.

tl;dr - the entire point is that the money spent by the NRA only looks impressive if you have absolutely no clue about the scale of lobbying spending that goes on around Capitol Hill, and the fact that they outspend the opposition says more about how completely flat broke anti-gun groups are than how many fat sacks of cash the NRA has. The manager of a McDonalds may look rich as poo poo to someone living in a cardboard box, but that sure as gently caress doesn't make him a member of the wealthy elite.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dystram posted:

2012 was ONLY about riling up the base, testing talking points and messaging for next time, etc.

They GOP establishment knew they stood absolutely no chance against Obama. 2016 will be their real try for the presidency because they actually stand a chance this time.

This may have been the initial party stance, but somewhere after the first general debate the party as a whole took on a "wait, we can actually win this!" vibe due to Romney's uncharacteristically strong performance, which only got progressively worse with all the "unskewing" horseshit, reaching its hilarious conclusion when no less a party establishmentarian Karl Rove threw his temper tantrum on election night.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Intestinate the children...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImtaK89BE0

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cheekio posted:

:foxnews:Rep. Michael Grimm (D-N.Y.), found to be exonerated for his threats against a reporter, as he had good reason to aggressively avoid questions about his campaign finance.:foxnews:

FTFY :colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, the take-home message is that the NRA doesn't NEED that much money in order to keep gun laws weak like they are?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
On the bright side, if Romney runs again we'll get another few years of Ann Romney quotes. I fondly remember drunkenly ranting at my Republican parents about Ann Romney's dancing goddamn horse and its forthcoming tax breaks. A repeat could be comedy gold.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Talmonis posted:

On the bright side, if Romney runs again we'll get another few years of Ann Romney quotes. I fondly remember drunkenly ranting at my Republican parents about Ann Romney's dancing goddamn horse and its forthcoming tax breaks. A repeat could be comedy gold.

Mitt Romney will never sniff the nomination again. He committed the unpardonable sin of losing to the black guy.

I've noticed a lot of posts about how it's possible to win the nomination again after losing the Presidency, but what no one gets is that all those guys did it in an era before the Internet, 24-hour cable news, and all the other things that have made political campaigns a circus for the last 20 or so years. Hell, half the people who've sat in the big chair in the last 50 years would not have made it if the Internet had existed. JFK's illnesses would have blown his campaign to smithereens in its infancy if the Internet and cable news had been around, no matter how much money Joe Sr. threw at the problem.

Can anyone honestly tell me that Reagan would have gotten a second term if rumors of him falling asleep at Cabinet meetings had leaked via the Internet and spread to every cable news station on Earth? Would Richard Nixon have won in 1968 if the Internet had gotten wind of his plan to sabotage the peace talks in Vietnam in order to screw Hubert Humphrey out of the Presidency?

My point is that it isn't going to happen again. Campaigns are under a microscope now. Everything a candidate does, says, writes, or even thinks is scrutinized. Is this necessarily a bad thing? In some respects, no. But it means that in Presidential politics there are unlikely to ever be any third acts for a guy who's lost twice AND said some pretty lovely things about the middle class and the poor.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 28, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

An amendment Republicans do not support: the sixth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsN6GnfiruA

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain_Maclaine posted:

TFR is obsessed with the idea that the NRA is the scrappy little underdog compared to the wealthy kikes meddling politicians like Bloomberg and Soros.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

An amendment Republicans do not support: the sixth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsN6GnfiruA
A (Kurdish) Muslim I know was just talking about this actually, he said if you're a defense lawyer who helps someone you know is guilty get a reduced sentence and then collect money from it, that is haram.

Good to see the Republicans are supporting being a good Muslim.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 28, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Go read right after that post I linked and you get a spirited defense of "the NRA isn't that big", "gun manufacturers barely contribute anything", "NRA strength comes from having 5 million members, not corporate backing" apparently the NRA is still backing sportsmen, not the industry. Or is this another case of where pointing out what is being said doesn't count, and I'm about to be told accurately quoting people is "dumb poo poo" and that I need therapy?

Though never mind the NRA history of things like the Cincinnati Revolution or grading votes on chromium waste regulations, they are being transparent corporate shills right now. Those new RFID smart guns being on the market has the NRA in an uproar, pushing back against the. Them being available doesn't imperil 2 amendment rights - it is another way to exercise them, ironically making the NRA the people restricting it now. But a new competitor pitching disruptive technology, yeah the existing players are going to fight that tooth and nail.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/us/politics/smart-firearm-draws-wrath-of-the-gun-lobby.html?hp&_r=1&referrer=

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Dystram posted:

They sure dumped a lot of money into it for people who weren't actually trying to win. If the GOP establishment were that bright they would have seen this mess with the extreme right coming from a mile away as an integral part of their policy, and they would have backed off a bit. No, I don't think they knew how bad they looked in 2012.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Tatum Girlparts posted:

TFR is obsessed with the idea that the NRA is the scrappy little underdog compared to the wealthy kikes meddling politicians like Bloomberg and Soros.

Sure seems that way after browsing there for a little bit. I've never seen such a hive of gun-toting spergs.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Don't keep talking about TFR in here, they'll throw up the Gun Signal and flood the thread with their obscure injokes about Yugoslavian rifles.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Mineaiki posted:

They sure dumped a lot of money into it for people who weren't actually trying to win. If the GOP establishment were that bright they would have seen this mess with the extreme right coming from a mile away as an integral part of their policy, and they would have backed off a bit. No, I don't think they knew how bad they looked in 2012.

Well, either way, the whole election was GREAT to build a narrative for them, even with Romney's gaffes - I had a few (seemingly) fairly moderate guys whip out the 47% comment to me on Friday night.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Well guess the narrative has changed on that front quite a bit since I used to post in there more regularly, my bad.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The evil black man will be gone so the crazies will think that their opportunity to save America has finally come! Really, I hope y'all are ready for 2016 because it's going to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

StandardVC10 posted:

Don't keep talking about TFR in here, they'll throw up the Gun Signal and flood the thread with their obscure injokes about Yugoslavian rifles.

Oh come on, maybe they have some new "glock sucks" comments because people don't know the difference between "polymer composite" and "plastic"

• Locked thread