Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BiggerBoat posted:

Any Republican who doubts climate change should only look at the rising costs of flood insurance, especially in coastal regions. That's the "free market" or whatever speaking loud and clear. You'd think they'd hear it.

Not if you legislate to delay bringing up to date the data underlying the rates!

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I was actually thinking of this but good to know it's happening in lots of places at once.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mdemone posted:

I was just eye-rolling to myself about how it seems like the CIA has never done anything useful, but then I realized that it may be literally true. Can anyone name a morally-defensible operation they haven't hosed up?

Publishing the World Factbook.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Aspersions on my asparagus" is the new "Keep loving that chicken".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also, does he realize the Constitution had to be changed to accomplish what he's talking about?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

loquacius posted:

I actually thought this WAS a graph of the price of bitcoin. What was it actually made for?

It's a archetypal pattern for a financial bubble.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fried Chicken posted:

By the way I've been meaning to post this for a month but keep forgetting.

So state and local authorities offer all sorts of goodies to companies to attract jobs and incentivize growth and development. (Feds do it as well on a larger scale). All totaled, state and local benefits add up to 110 billion a year.

Koch industries collects 88 billion of that.

Here's is the study
http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/subsidizingthecorporateonepercent

Here is a summary
http://inthesetimes.com/article/16362/the_real_welfare_queens

1 single corporation collects 80% of all the state and local incentives. A corporation owned by people who inherited their wealth, grew it by gobbling up 80% of the government handouts, and spend that wealth trying to punish the poor for getting help while pushing for more government handouts for themselves.

Aerosmith had it right

According to those links, Koch collects $88 million, not billion. So it's merely outrageous rather than utterly insane.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 10, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BUSH 2112 posted:

last week some right-winger claimed that people are people before conception.

What was this? I remember a few years ago they tried to change the date of conception formula, is this a new thing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And it was the birthplace of the original political cartoon threads.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

What was the deal with the rancher thing? I somehow missed it. A guy was illegally raising cattle on federal land and a bunch of militia people tried to start their own Waco?

More or less. The guy claims he has a right to the land because his family settled it before the BLM existed. The government started seizing his cattle and then a whole bunch of heavily armed right-wingers showed up to protest, so they backed down rather than risk things getting out of hand.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

My conservative mother-in-law just described the rancher situation as "Harry Reid stealing the poor guys cattle to sell for millions of dollars (which will get redistributed) all because of some dumb tortoise. So he stood his ground and the Feds ran away with their tails between their legs"

Someone said in a different thread that the situation will be resolved quickly and quietly when the government threatens his license to sell cattle on the open market. Is this accurate? None of the media coverage I've read mentions it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Lol at the idea that Mike loving whitebread Huckabee has ever been frisked at an airport.

I wish someone had asked him which president was responsible for that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Written by a Princeton alumna who herself married a non - Princeton graduate and who herself married later in life

Also whose sons are currently at Princeton and still available, ladies!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Devil's advocate: doing so would eliminate an entire industry's worth of jobs, many of them skilled intellectual labor.

Wouldn't the IRS just hire the tax prep industry to handle this new responsibility of theirs?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You're all forgetting the important question: Who's Hodor?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never realized Reagan was so jacked.

Also, http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014/04/we-decided-to-bring-this-artists-dream-of-a-resurrected-ronald-reagan-into-reality/360965/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there any reason that this proof that Bundy's story is not true on any level isn't getting traction? Is there something wrong with its conclusions that I'm not seeing or is veracity irrelevant at this point?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

Why? Why is he still talking?

How hard is it not to gently caress up the messaging? If you want to call blacks lazy and imply welfare is worse than slavery and the Democrats are the real slaveowners, you just say something like

You do all that if you're a disciplined media wrangler with a coherent, pre-planned agenda. You do what he's doing here if you're a bona fide crank that a national party elevated to mascot status overnight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's the point of carrying a gun but not intimidating everyone around you?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mcmagic posted:

Old racist Cliven Bundy thinks that the reason people are calling him a racist is that he said the word "negro" and not that he said the only thing "negros" were good for was picking cotton and that they would be better off as slaves.

Also that Martin Luther King and "Rosa Park" would support him.

vvvvv Dead calf, which is also a thing that he literally did on camera.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 25, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fried Chicken posted:

Algorithmic trading is basically a black box to the humans there - it moves faster and is bases its decisions off inputs that the financial people don't understand, and the rocket scientists and the like employed there know pieces of but not the whole (project is to big for a single person to know all of it). Since it goes faster based off decisions people don't understand, they have since added automated journalism to the programs (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/bb3ac0f6-2e15-11db-93ad-0000779e2340.html#axzz305oYLJiu - from 2006 by the way) that will write the news reporting on it and publish it. Most of the stuff you read about finance was not generate by a human, and there is a company out of Chicago named Narrative Science bringing the same technology to the rest of the reporting field.

Some of the inputs into the algos are trends identified by their built in spiders - eg if there is a huge upswing in a new series of young adult books, invest in the publisher because they will announce a gain from a movie deal for those books soon. So yes, Goldman Sachs is reading your twitter feed.

There are claims I haven't been able to verify that the algos will use their journalism routines to plant things that will trip other spiders - essentially a pump and dump that only computer programs can see. But it wouldn't surprise me, it is wholly within the abilities of the technology.

As a guy whose job is automation and process improvement, it is fascinating, full of tricks I know and full of things I want to expand upon and take to other areas. As a guy on the ground watching it, I find it wholly confusing because it means that the financial sector is now basically the economic equivalent of bird watching. Other actors are doing it all, the watchers look on, discuss it, and the one whose birds grew the nicest plumage and raised the most chicks gets the praise and reward for having it happen on their property.

And, as you'd expect in any piece of software of this complexity, sometimes the whole system takes a poo poo in unexpected and hilarious ways and the humans are left to mop up the floor and go back to hoping it doesn't happen again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pohl posted:

In a perfect world Donald Trump would buy it. Perfectly comical, that is.

You don't want to have to root for the LA Trumps.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I think it's saying that opposition to interracial dating had an even partisan split until recently?

The last graph is indicating how likely it is that a person holding position A (Republican) would also hold position B (oppose interracial dating) and that recently that likelihood has increased. It doesn't say anything about Democrats.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samurai Sanders posted:

Or what? Surely government stormtroopers don't come into your house, as the fantasy goes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/12/nyregion/smart-guns-a-clever-bit-of-legislating.html

The law would ban the retail sale and importation into New Jersey of non-smart guns. Non-smart guns already owned by NJ residents would not be affected, private sales of them would still be permitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait. I thought earthquakes were caused by tectonic shifts, surely fracking can't cause the Earth's crust itself to shift.

Earthquakes are caused when one part of the crust is trying to move but it gets stuck on another part and energy builds up until it breaks free and suddenly moves into another position. The changes fracking makes to the underground environment can change stress patterns inside the rock and affect this process even though it isn't changing how tectonic forces are moving the plates.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 6, 2014

• Locked thread